Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,629 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182985 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Greatkhad: 8:57am On Mar 06, 2019
[quote author=Guitarlife post=76388311]
You are right, but python is the language of the future .
/quote]

I seem to grasp syntax really well, but my programming logic isnt really strong. When i see beginner exercises, i mostly know how to go around it, but implementing it is sometimes difficult.

What do u suggest i can do, i wouldnt want this to stall my journey
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by toskeO: 10:09am On Mar 06, 2019
Hello everyone,

Please can anyone help me with any cargo contact from Abuja to Edmonton Canada...this is urgent please thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2019
Congrats to you..and thank you for the very interesting gist, may you and your hubby get jobs soon. Please share with us your Yaba contact o..[quote author=titiclassy post=76296752]LANDING GIST (LANDED 2 WEEKS AGO)

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bskyb(m): 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2019
Good evening everyone,
I received a provincial/territorial interest letter from Alberta.
I am not clear on the next stepd to take.

Kindly assist ASAP
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mikkyphp(m): 4:53pm On Mar 06, 2019
canadaman18:

User support from what I know is not as strict interview wise so I wouldn’t bother with Leetcode or CTCI. Best to just focus on learning a bit about the product you’ll be supporting but I’m not an expert in the area so I can’t say for certain .

If you have any kind of technical background and some certifications I don’t think it’ll be too hard getting an entry level IT job in Ontario. might take a few months of looking though

At the end of the day it depends what you’re passionate about , if you’re passionate about it you’ll be good at it and if you’re good at it and pray and trust God ,there are jobs
I would appreciate you let the guys know that it is not an easy task to come to Canada and change your field and get a job. I know a lot of Nigerians don't want to continue with the job roles/ fields they performed in Naija. I have heard this from many with Banking/branch experience. Many recruiters and hiring managers look intently at your previous experience, especially if you're foreign trained, before considering you for an interview. They wont understand why a previous "banking officer" or 5 years all of a sudden is touting expertise in Machine learning, OOP and Web frameworks.

If you're self trained in programming or other IT fields, you have to show remarkable expertise and properly represent your projects and achievements in your profile/resume.

Also ask why they should consider a foreign trained individual for entry level positions, when most companies have co-op/internship programs and Graduate leadership training programs that get guys straight from school. Most have student loans, and companies will prefer to give them Canadian trained individuals priority so that they can pay back and also contribute to the economy by way of taxes.

PS: I'm speaking for IT and allied job roles, as this is what i know about.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aka2003: 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2019
19CannyMum:

Thank you very much. Very clear explanation. So the gist I'm getting is that during that period I'm on class 7, I can use my international drivers permit to drive unaccompanied.

However I saw on Albertas website that one has to submit ALL prior licences including the international permit. Will do some more research today.
There is some misunderstanding. You are not allowed to have 2 drivers licenses at any time. You have to submit all prior licenses.
When you are on class 7 you[b] cannot[/b] drive unaccompanied under any circumstances.
The international drivers permit is not a drivers license.
My whole point is that you need to be aware that you cannot drive unaccompanied when you are on class 7.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by simiolu1(m): 6:36pm On Mar 06, 2019
[quote author=Greatkhad post=76392965][/quote]

I used to have this challenge until I noticed something Jeffery Way does repeatedly in his videos.

He writes the pseudo-code of what he expects to happen as comments and then implements that pseudo-code. And the pseudo-code usually follows a "Given", " When", "Then" format.

Given is the condition; When is the action that is performed (maybe by a user); Then is what should happen when that action is performed.

E.g:

Write a FizzBuzz program for numbers between 1-100.

This breaks down to

Given there is a list of numbers 1-100
When a number is divisible by 3
Then it should output/print Fizz.

This has really helped me and I hope it will help you too.

In addition to what has been said, you might want to check HackerRank and solve some algorithm challenges.

Cheers

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:44pm On Mar 06, 2019
Aka2003:

There is some misunderstanding. You are not allowed to have 2 drivers licenses at any time. You have to submit all prior licenses.
When you are on class 7 you[b] cannot[/b] drive unaccompanied under any circumstances.
The international drivers permit is not a drivers license.
My whole point is that you need to be aware that you cannot drive unaccompanied when you are on class 7.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 9:40pm On Mar 06, 2019
Please for those with PR who have not landed what address do you put that your parents will reside on their trip. I plan to stay with my sister when I land then my MIL will come once we have gotten our place. I want to apply for her now and I am concerned what address to fill.

Please help I have ask in the visiting visa thread no response for some days now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 10:02pm On Mar 06, 2019
mikkyphp:

I would appreciate you let the guys know that it is not an easy task to come to Canada and change your field and get a job. I know a lot of Nigerians don't want to continue with the job roles/ fields they performed in Naija. I have heard this from many with Banking/branch experience. Many recruiters and hiring managers look intently at your previous experience, especially if you're foreign trained, before considering you for an interview. They wont understand why a previous "banking officer" or 5 years all of a sudden is touting expertise in Machine learning, OOP and Web frameworks.

If you're self trained in programming or other IT fields, you have to show remarkable expertise and properly represent your projects and achievements in your profile/resume.

Also ask why they should consider a foreign trained individual for entry level positions, when most companies have co-op/internship programs and Graduate leadership training programs that get guys straight from school. Most have student loans, and companies will prefer to give them Canadian trained individuals priority so that they can pay back and also contribute to the economy by way of taxes.

PS: I'm speaking for IT and allied job roles, as this is what i know about.

Yes its not an easy task. But a change in field isn't something that will disqualify you from getting a job if you can prove you can do the job better than the other candidates. My post explains how exactly you can get yourself up to speed and become a top candidate.

If you're able to successfully answer all the technical questions and follow ups , they wont reject you for someone who struggled through the questions simply because they schooled in canada

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 10:45pm On Mar 06, 2019
Good evening everyone. Please I want to ask, what's the best way to handle one's landed property here in Nigeria before leaving? Is it better to sell it off or hand it over to someone to take care of?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Greatkhad: 11:17pm On Mar 06, 2019
simiolu1:

I used to have this challenge until I noticed something Jeffery Way does repeatedly in his videos.

He writes the pseudo-code of what he expects to happen as comments and then implements

Thank you for taking out time to respond, will check out his videos. If you have any other resource for beginners, i wont mind your recommedation.

I want to be well prepared for cannyland

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 12:23am On Mar 07, 2019
Palominopeaches:
Good evening everyone. Please I want to ask, what's the best way to handle one's landed property here in Nigeria before leaving? Is it better to sell it off or hand it over to someone to take care of?

Keep it if you can. You'll need a place to stay when you comeback to visit.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:56am On Mar 07, 2019
[quote author=Greatkhad post=76392965][/quote]
What language do you use ? I think you may need to reinforce your algorithm skills.
Check youtube for free beginner courses in data structures and algorithms.

You should probably concentrate on that for a month.

Programming is logic and you need to have that locked down. I also struggle with algorithms so its a continual learning process.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 7:33am On Mar 07, 2019
maternal:

Keep it if you can. You'll need a place to stay when you comeback to visit.

Yeah but what if it's an undeveloped land?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by IykeD(m): 8:17am On Mar 07, 2019
Palominopeaches:

Yeah but what if it's an undeveloped land?

Fence it, put gate and lock it if you can but if you do not trust the area and/or people around you, you can sell it.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 8:29am On Mar 07, 2019
IykeD:

Fence it, put gate and lock it if you can but if you do not trust the area and/or people around you, you can sell it.

OK thank you very much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Greatkhad: 9:57am On Mar 07, 2019
Guitarlife:

What language do you use ? I think you may need to reinforce your algorithm skills.
Check youtube for free beginner courses in data structures and algorithms.

You should probably concentrate on that for a month.

Programming is logic and you need to have that locked down. I also struggle with algorithms so its a continual learning process.

learning python at the moment..will check out the courses in data structure as you recommended. Thanks

What language(s) do you programme in?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 11:03am On Mar 07, 2019
sos!!!! Please can someone direct me to the post where details were provided on paying for ethopian airline booking. I have 30 minutes to lock down my booking mbok; I have been searching.
Thanks to the angel in advance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 11:11am On Mar 07, 2019
Newbeecey:
sos!!!! Please can someone direct me to the post where details were provided on paying for ethopian airline booking. I have 30 minutes to lock down my booking mbok; I have been searching.
Thanks to the angel in advance

Do a bank transfer to any of the numbers on their website, using your reference as transfer detail.

Then since it's urgent, send an email to ALL their Nigeria email addresses.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA/EN/services/support/contact

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 11:20am On Mar 07, 2019
Done the transfer already. many thanks. I will send the mail now
19CannyMum:

Do a bank transfer to any of the numbers on their website, using your reference as transfer detail.

Then since it's urgent, send an email to ALL their Nigeria email addresses.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA/EN/services/support/contact
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Wellmanned: 11:53am On Mar 07, 2019
You can use your sisters address, as long as your sister is aware.

Oakville19:
Please for those with PR who have not landed what address do you put that your parents will reside on their trip. I plan to stay with my sister when I land then my MIL will come once we have gotten our place. I want to apply for her now and I am concerned what address to fill.

Please help I have ask in the visiting visa thread no response for some days now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 12:11pm On Mar 07, 2019
Wellmanned:
You can use your sisters address, as long as your sister is aware.

Okay thank you so much kiss

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by modath(f): 1:04pm On Mar 07, 2019

Anyone in need of Canadian Dollars in CANADA, to bank, to pay rent, or for any sundry needs not exceeding $5k (for now) can message me ..TOTALLY LEGIT funds...(Kindly investigate my antecedent on this platform before making contact)

I'm active on the E currency thread in the business section......

WhatsApp link on Siggy..........

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 4:48pm On Mar 07, 2019
One more branch of software I forgot to touch on is Quality Assurance (Software Developer in Test).

Roles involving this I actually believe are the best for people who are new to programming. Reason being that you don't have to know programming languages in and out , you are simply testing what someone else has done.

Learning to do this of course involves some training but it is no where as rigorous as coding. For example , given a problem like finding optimal routes between two points, the software developer will have to come up with design and algorithms to solve this problem.

Your job as a tester could be as easy as feeding in inputs and asserting the expected output.

It could also involve testing the UI and making sure everything works as expected/Most likely what you'll be doing will be slightly more complex but this is just an example

The pay is still decent , usually 15-30% less of what a software developer gets paid. But you'll get exposed gently to software development and could eventually transition to a developer yourself.

The learning resources are same as always , udemy , udacity , youtube e.t.c

26 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by smileymum: 5:03pm On Mar 07, 2019
Welcome to our Canada. May you find favour.

Sis, it seems you run into conclusions a lot sha. Lol. The same way you assumed that you were racially profiled is the same way you assume that folks here use Egypt Airline and Ethiopian Airlines because it's cheap. My dear, it is not necessarily the cost that determines the good patronage they are enjoying. I have flown with different airlines in my travelling life. I for one like Ethiopian Airlines because of their flight time and short layover. My MIL is supposed to be coming sometime in summer to help with my kids. When I tried booking her flight at the time, I surprisingly saw KLM at a cheaper price, but the longer layover discouraged me from booking. I went with Ethiopian Airlines instead cos of the short layover and based on advice from my neighbor in Nigeria who works as a travel agent. So you see, while it may be the cost (which isn't the case at all times anyway) that makes people use them, it might just be other things that attract people to them. Don't forget Ethiopian Airlines is actually one of the biggest airlines in the world today. People have given good reviews about them over time. So my sis, don't assume. Person use Nigerian Airways or Virgin Atlantic come Canada, na the same Canada we dey come. It doesn't have anything to do with anything. It doesn't determine your race here.

Jah bless.
titiclassy:
LANDING GIST (LANDED 2 WEEKS AGO)

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD

I just told my husband that my Nairaland people too like cheap...Ethiopian and Egypt air. Seriously...i was looking for just 1 of u guys..common! smiley
The flight to Toronto was just there..we seat felt cramped..ot that they were bad but we had enjoyed space in teh previous flight..

48 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pearlito: 5:19pm On Mar 07, 2019
Pls ma. Can i pm you concerning this. Am actually new on nairaland but have ppr and await copr. heading to Alberta by God grace.

Spacious 2 bedroom and one bath for rent at 999.99 monthly, Available from April 1st. Water, heat, Telus and Parking included. Location--Saddleback Road NW. Edmonton. Near Century Park

This located in the South of Edmonton.

Pls PM if interested.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ArabianRose(f): 6:08pm On Mar 07, 2019
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL grin grin

Thanks for your response, i have replied.

Gracias
WoodcrestMayor:
Apologies... I'll do a reply on my way home today.

WCM...MCM cool
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Vancouver4(f): 6:26pm On Mar 07, 2019
Maples779:
Eco Canada has a bridging program for environmental folks.

I need more info on this Pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mapleking: 10:02pm On Mar 07, 2019
canadaman18:
Hey folks, this advice is specifically for those in IT Field more specifically software / computer engineers ,and Full stack developers

Thanks for this update. I can attest to the data structures and algorithms part as most software companies are now using online coding sites to test candidates. The likes of Opera and Andela in Nigeria have caught the bug too.

Please can i PM you? Make i have you in my network and ask few software jobs related questions.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mapleking: 10:08pm On Mar 07, 2019
@canadaman18

I know Toronto is the hub of IT jobs in Canada. What do you think of Ottawa, i read Kanata is becoming a hub of IT and offers a great prospect for IT jobs.

What do you think?

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.