Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,379 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola (36445 Views)

Medina Vs Jerusalem — Religious Tension Brews Over Renaming Of Oyo Community / Nigeria, 5 Other West African Countries Condemn Renaming Of CFA Franc To ECO / June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by alizma: 3:42pm On Jan 03, 2019
aadoiza:
Nigerian government and useless moves. SMH
how is it useless? that is federal government's property located in Akure. Federal government can decide to change its name any time. it is not State University.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by thatigboman: 3:42pm On Jan 03, 2019
islandmoon:

fut minna should be named Moshood Abiola University.
if na joke, stop am o. Im an alumnus of that great university.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by miltonchux(m): 3:43pm On Jan 03, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Am in support of immortalising shagari's name with that of futa.

It should be changed coz this is one nigeria....anybody that is against this is against Nigerian unity.....

What weed did u smoke this hot afternoon. I hope is not Kwale weed?

We have no other country but nigeria and shagari is nigeria former president.

It should be changed to his name....as fast as possible.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 03, 2019
Adebowale89:

when next is your brain check-up? I will pay your TP
On 12th of January... Thanks man..I really do appreciate ur benevolence..

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by ajayiopy: 3:44pm On Jan 03, 2019
YOU CAN DO THAT FOR FUTMINA,FUTYOLA,ATBU NOT FUTA.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Enskynelson(m): 3:44pm On Jan 03, 2019
Osagyefo98:

It should be changed coz this is one nigeria....anybody that is against this is against Nigerian unity.....

You claim there is one Nigeria meanwhile with surplus petroleum in Niger Delta, Nigeria is spending Billions in search of same in Chad instead of using the same money to complete, for instance Ajaokuta Steel Company. "One Nigeria" exists only in theory!

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by thatigboman: 3:44pm On Jan 03, 2019
awelekiti:
Do you know the number of federal universities of technology shagari created? What of FUT minna and others in the north? There are a number of such over there where the late president hailed from. Why cause confusion by coming down south to immortalise shagari by naming futa after him? How many of the universities in the north were named after a southerner who had also served Nigeria in the past after they died? Absolutely no one. FUTA Alumni should simply sue the federal government, should they make such a move, same way the unilag alumni sued Jonathan.
pls leave FUTMinna alone.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by miltonchux(m): 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2019
Osagyefo98:

What weed did u smoke this hot afternoon, I hope is not Kwale Weed?

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by ajayiopy: 3:46pm On Jan 03, 2019
I WILL MOBILIZE OVER 2,000 ALUMNI FROM EUROPE AND FIGHT IT. UNA DEY CRAZE.

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by LZAA: 3:46pm On Jan 03, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Alumni Association of Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) has rejected [b]Afe Babalola (SAN)’s call to immortalise the late former President Shehu Shagari by renaming the institutio[/b]n after him.In his tribute to the late former President, Babalola had urged the Federal Government to rename the institution after Shagari, but in a swift reaction, the Alumni resisted the call.

President of the FUTA Alumni Association Worldwide, Adesomoju Olaitan, who led other members of the association to a media briefing in Akure, rejected the idea of changing the institution’s name.

Also speaking on behalf of the branches in Europe, America and other parts of the world, he said FUTA was not the only institution established by the late Shagari when he was President between 1979 and 1983.

“FUTA is an established brand that is globally respected for technical innovations. FUTA has developed several domestic and international collaborations with other leading institutions.

“These advances and relationship would be marred in an identity crisis by changing its established brand name on the whims and caprices of an individual,” he stated.The group argued that previous name changes made to institutions for the purpose of immortalising great Nigerians have done a lot of harm, insisting that foreign institutions like Harvard and Oxford universities retain their names and were still globally respected.

An alumnus, Professor Yemisi Adefarusi, said: “FUTA is an identity, a legacy and it’s not just an alumni issue, but what affects the entire students of the institution. It is an embarrassment to us, a national and global embarrassment.” Adefarusi, who is one of the second set of graduates produced by the institution, noted that the change of name would do more harm than good to the university.

She explained that a good number of the over 100,000 FUTA graduates since inception were currently working with international organisations like UNESCO, WHO, UNO, UNICEF and others and would adversely affect their certificates and resumes.

However, the association advised the Federal Government to embark on other meaningful projects in the tertiary institution rather than rename it after the late President Shagari. “It should consider building a world class infrastructure like science laboratories, lecture theatres or any other infrastructure that will last for a long time in our alma mater, and name such after Shagari. “This will help resolve some of the challenges we have on our campus rather than compounding them with a change of name. Consequently, we plead with the Federal Government to allow the FUTA brand to remain for posterity and peace,” she added.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/renaming-futa-after-shagari-global-embarrassment-alumni-tell-afe-babalola/

Lalasticlala

some things will never change grin grin
Cc immhotep sarrki deomelo DaBullIT

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by planetx: 3:49pm On Jan 03, 2019
Look at the childish reason a so called professor is given for being against renaming FUTA.

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by jrusky(m): 3:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
Kikikikiki oh holy heaven this apc can't stop amusing me.

Tinubu and Akeredolu una see una miserable lives. A fulani from Sokoto died and in entire north no tertiary institution to be named after him but came down Yoruba land to named institution after him. See slavery at his peak so no federal institution in Sokoto, Katsina, kaduna, Gombe, Yola, Borno, Kebbi etc isn't In fact I reserve my comment to avoid going tribal

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by thatigboman: 3:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
ajayiopy:
YOU CAN DO THAT FOR FUTMINA,FUTYOLA,ATBU NOT FUTA.
ATBU is already renamed after Tafawa Balewa.
Leave FUTMinna alone. There are plenty facilities in abuja - aso rock, presidential jets and helicopter, international conference centre, federal secretariat etc. Must it be a university?

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by OkunrinOloro: 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2019
Thank God for this wisdom. Sometimes I'm ashamed of my kinsmen.

nkwuocha:
Chai!
Yoruba people who do una this thing?Even Fela Anikulapo Kuti on oversized pants is greater than shehu shagari.Fela song wey Julius Berger expatriates dey play and dance to.

You people should leave hausa alone,they are not your God!Of all the prominent omoluabis in South West,you want to name your University after a Notherner?!?It's disgraceful to say the least.

What about Dele Giwa?

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2019
islandmoon:
I think the name will be suitable for University of Port Harcourt,

Sheu shagari university of Port Harcourt.

nice name.
My niger Delta brothers and ibo ipob will just burn down the university . Fear won't let FG think towards that direction
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by emmasege: 3:56pm On Jan 03, 2019
It's the highest of insult and I hope our leaders rise to speak now or never.

Why not FUT Minna or one of the new federal universities in the north? After all, the federal university in Ebonyi was renamed after Shagari's Vice president (Alex Ekwueme).
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by LZAA: 3:56pm On Jan 03, 2019
fergie001:

University of Ibadan
University of Nigeria

These two are special and would never be renamed.....
Isn't uni ibadan OAU?
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Muscomide: 4:03pm On Jan 03, 2019
OmoManU:
Why can't he asked them to rename ABUAD

You dey mind the 1diot?

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by thatigboman: 4:08pm On Jan 03, 2019
emmasege:
It's the highest of insult and I hope our leaders rise to speak now or never.

Why not FUT Minna or one of the new federal universities in the north? After all, the federal university in Ebonyi was renamed after Shagari's Vice president (Alex Ekwueme).
leave FUTMinna out of it
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Shikena(m): 4:09pm On Jan 03, 2019
fergie001:

University of Ibadan
University of Nigeria

These two are special and would never be renamed.....
UNILAG people were saying the same thing until GEJ came for them - that's a university specially created with an act of the federal parliament grin
Just watch out for Olusegun Obasanjo University Ibadan (former University of Ibadan) in the near future and be ready to fight, mark my words!
UNN can't be changed. It speaks for itself - University of Nigeria (One Nation), Nsukka.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Why not build a new one to honor him. That will create additional learning environment and job opportunities; it will be a win win.

What happens when all Federal universities have been used to immortalise people?

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Shikena(m): 4:13pm On Jan 03, 2019
LZAA:

Isn't uni ibadan OAU?
You go school so? grin grin
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by pinkyf: 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2019
SSUTARia kwa

SSUTAaaaaaaaaaa! grin
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by MightySparrow: 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2019
Alhaji Usman Shehu Shagari, according to a book written about him was born on the mother's way to a farm they stopped over to take gari. The, then little boy was named shagari. I can see the curse of gari coming on FUTARIANS following such name! a word is enough for...
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Morelyf(m): 4:16pm On Jan 03, 2019
I think dis dude has an university, why not out of his own fake personal love and respect for shagari, rename it as shehu shagari university. Honestly dis man needs some mental evaluation to know whether he is normal or his under d influence of weed grin
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by LZAA: 4:18pm On Jan 03, 2019
Shikena:

You go school so? grin grin
Just trolling joor

Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Shikena(m): 4:22pm On Jan 03, 2019
jrusky:
Kikikikiki oh holy heaven this apc can't stop amusing me.

Tinubu and Akeredolu una see una miserable lives. A fulani from Sokoto died and in entire north no tertiary institution to be named after him but came down Yoruba land to named institution after him. See slavery at his peak so no federal institution in Sokoto, Katsina, kaduna, Gombe, Yola, Borno, Kebbi etc isn't In fact I reserve my comment to avoid going tribal
Read the article again and pay attention to 'Afe Babalola'. What are you guys smoking self or you can't read simple English again? WAEC why? grin grin
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by 1Poposki1(m): 4:23pm On Jan 03, 2019
enemyofprogress:
Has schools finished for oke oya?I mean in the north. Make dem no try am o, if na joke make dem stop am. They should name the presidential villa after him.

Seun please name nairaland after me, that is enemyofprogress.com grin grin

This guy is just mad..
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 03, 2019
Chococandy:

Renaming Futa to shagari university is a perfect idea.

It's a way to solidify the alliance that exists between the south west and the north.
You too dey support this move abi? Let them try it in your region, if there won't be crisis. What the school needs isn't renaming but development. They could build theatre halls or a modern engineering workshop with modern equipment and name it after shagari. The mumu of a man is just looking for trouble.
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Shikena(m): 4:28pm On Jan 03, 2019
Mk17:

My niger Delta brothers and ibo ipob will just burn down the university . Fear won't let FG think towards that direction
... what if that's the gameplan? Who will be the loser? (Totally unlikely scenario, just making us think)
Re: Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola by Ayho: 4:28pm On Jan 03, 2019
This is uncalled for. There are other things in the country that can be used in is honour. What a bias country.

Alaoji: Another Power Plant (1074MW) Getting Ready To Be Launched In Abia State / President Jonathan And Comedian Bovi Smile At Each Other (Photo) / Akinwunmi Ambode(apc) Vs Jimi Agbaje(pdp)