Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,684 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet (3563 Views)

What I Noticed After Iphone Battery Replacement / Nigerian Man Bursts Into Tears After Iphone 12 He Purchased Displays Itel Logo / Two Ladies In Tears, After Iphone 13 They Bought Boots As Android Phones (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by ibkayee(f): 2:16pm On Jan 04, 2019
Chinese tech firm Huawei has demoted two employees after an iPhone was used to send a Happy New Year greeting from its official Twitter account.

The message wishing Huawei followers a "Happy #2019" on New Year's Day was marked with "sent via Twitter for iPhone" and was quickly seized upon by users who spotted it.

Although the tweet was swiftly deleted, screenshots of the post spread across a whole host of social media platforms, including blogging site Weibo.

In an internal memo sent out on Thursday, seen by Reuters, Huawei corporate senior-vice president Chen Lifang said the mistake had "caused damage to the Huawei brand".

The error happened after the firm Huawei uses to outsource its social media pages experienced "VPN problems" with a computer and so used an iPhone with a roaming SIM card to send the tweet in time for midnight, the memo said.

VPNs - or virtual private networks - act as a secure tunnel between devices, allowing users to send and receive data across public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.

As Twitter is banned in China, anyone in the country wishing to use the site would need to use a VPN connection.

Huawei tasks marketing company Sapient with handling its presence on Twitter and other social media websites, many of which are blocked in China.

Neither firm has responded to requests for comment, but the memo revealed that two employees had been demoted and had their salaries reduced.

The pay rank of one of the staff - Huawei's digital marketing director - will also be frozen for 12 months, it said.

It is not the first time the use of iPhones has caused embarrassment for Huawei, which overtook Apple as the number two smartphone maker in the world in 2018 despite being completely locked out of the US market.

https://news.sky.com/story/huawei-punishes-staff-after-iphone-used-for-official-happy-new-year-tweet-11598392

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 04, 2019
Loseguard

2 Likes

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by deco22(m): 2:25pm On Jan 04, 2019
When your workers don't even use your brand, how do you expect people to buy your phones...i don't trust all these chinese companies with their funny names, same way they said Davido was using an Iphone even after being the brand ambassador for Infinix.

2 Likes

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by sinaj(f): 2:29pm On Jan 04, 2019
Serves them right
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by AwesomeRomeo: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2019
They should be sacked not demoted, what nonsense. With all the high end devices that Huawei has, the employees can't use any of them?

2 Likes

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Rextizzle(m): 3:55pm On Jan 04, 2019
ibkayee:
Chinese tech firm Huawei has demoted two employees after an iPhone was used to send a Happy New Year greeting from its official Twitter account.

The message wishing Huawei followers a "Happy #2019" on New Year's Day was marked with "sent via Twitter for iPhone" and was quickly seized upon by users who spotted it.

Although the tweet was swiftly deleted, screenshots of the post spread across a whole host of social media platforms, including blogging site Weibo.

In an internal memo sent out on Thursday, seen by Reuters, Huawei corporate senior-vice president Chen Lifang said the mistake had "caused damage to the Huawei brand".

The error happened after the firm Huawei uses to outsource its social media pages experienced "VPN problems" with a computer and so used an iPhone with a roaming SIM card to send the tweet in time for midnight, the memo said.

VPNs - or virtual private networks - act as a secure tunnel between devices, allowing users to send and receive data across public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.

As Twitter is banned in China, anyone in the country wishing to use the site would need to use a VPN connection.

Huawei tasks marketing company Sapient with handling its presence on Twitter and other social media websites, many of which are blocked in China.

Neither firm has responded to requests for comment, but the memo revealed that two employees had been demoted and had their salaries reduced.

The pay rank of one of the staff - Huawei's digital marketing director - will also be frozen for 12 months, it said.

It is not the first time the use of iPhones has caused embarrassment for Huawei, which overtook Apple as the number two smartphone maker in the world in 2018 despite being completely locked out of the US market.

https://news.sky.com/story/huawei-punishes-staff-after-iphone-used-for-official-happy-new-year-tweet-11598392
This is coming from a hairy duster budgie cheesycheesy
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by ibkayee(f): 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2019
Rextizzle:
This is coming from a hairy duster budgie cheesycheesy
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Rextizzle(m): 3:59pm On Jan 04, 2019
ibkayee:
Don't tell me you don't know the meaning cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by ibkayee(f): 4:02pm On Jan 04, 2019
Rextizzle:
Don't tell me you don't know the meaning cheesycheesycheesy
I know what it is, I just didn’t get the link?
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Rextizzle(m): 4:17pm On Jan 04, 2019
ibkayee:

I know what it is, I just didn’t get the link?
Lol you don't know what it is, just forget about it. grin
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by ibkayee(f): 4:25pm On Jan 04, 2019
Rextizzle:
Lol you don't know what it is, just forget about it. grin
Lol I do? Plus even if I didn’t know I could’ve just googled it?

No problem though
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by orimipe(f): 4:28pm On Jan 04, 2019
Wawu!

It was an honest mistake. Probably his proactiveness got the better of him
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by saltycreatordra: 4:38pm On Jan 04, 2019
Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet - Phones - Nairaland home selenium
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Rextizzle(m): 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2019
ibkayee:
Lol I do? Plus even if I didn’t know I could’ve just googled it?
No problem though
Ok have fun. grin
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Lavoca: 5:28pm On Jan 04, 2019
deco22:
When your workers don't even use your brand, how do you expect people to buy your phones...i don't trust all these chinese companies with their funny names, same way they said Davido was using an Iphone even after being the brand ambassador for Infinix.
Did you bother to read the OP?
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 04, 2019
Apple's ingenious marketing drive, this gimmicks isn't any mistake! grin

1 Like

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 04, 2019
shocked

Amazing! He who the gods want to punish, they first make them mad!!!

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Mysociallife: 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2019
Do you need instagram and twitter followers/likes?
Do you need youtube subscribers/views?
Then you must read my signature below.
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Mysociallife: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2019
grin
Serves them right

Do you need instagram and twitter followers/likes? Do you need youtube subscribers/views? Then you must read my signature below.

Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Olibboy: 11:14pm On Jan 04, 2019
Get sense
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by ruggedtimi(m): 3:57am On Jan 05, 2019
lol marques self catch dem!!
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by KingSango(m): 12:42pm On Jan 05, 2019
Like Ifa Buddhism is a philosophy contained within a binary code system. Chinese used the 64 bit, in the hexagram script of open and broken lines. Ifa uses short and long lines, sometimes cowery shells and the the chain instrument invented by Orumila. Ifa is the mother of all philosophy a binary system containing data of all information experienced by Yoruba. Christianity is just a belief system possessing only controlled amounts of ancient knowledge. All the Christian and Catholic clergymen are either Freemasons and or Jesuits sitting on ancient knowledge. Rome brings domination not enlightenment to indigenous peoples.
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by ibkayee(f): 5:52pm On Jan 05, 2019
KingSango:
Like Ifa Buddhism is a philosophy contained within a binary code system. Chinese used the 64 bit, in the hexagram script of open and broken lines. Ifa uses short and long lines, sometimes cowery shells and the the chain instrument invented by Orumila. Ifa is the mother of all philosophy a binary system containing data of all information experienced by Yoruba. Christianity is just a belief system possessing only controlled amounts of ancient knowledge. All the Christian and Catholic clergymen are either Freemasons and or Jesuits sitting on ancient knowledge. Rome brings domination not enlightenment to indigenous peoples.

Why do you keep posting all this random stuff in this thread?
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by KingSango(m): 9:24am On Jan 06, 2019
Akpkpala is also a binary code system deriving from Igbo
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by Oluromantic: 2:52pm On Feb 06, 2019
orimipe:
Wawu!

It was an honest mistake. Probably his proactiveness got the better of him
Ori Emi naa pe
Re: Huawei Punishes Staff After Iphone Used For Official Happy New Year Tweet by orimipe(f): 2:56pm On Feb 06, 2019
Oluromantic:

Ori Emi naa pe

grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back / Tecno L8 Plus Screen / My Infinix Note 4 Is Having Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.