Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back (3555 Views)

Phone Manufacturers Are Removing The 3.5mm Earpiece Port. What Do You Think? / How Android Phone Manufacturers Cut Corners To Sell Phones Cheap / How To Switch On Phone Without Power Button (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by TinubuShet(m): 7:36pm On Dec 27, 2022
Every major phone manufacturer is guilty of a serious crime, and I won't be quiet about it any longer: they stole the power button from us. Apple, Google, Samsung: guilty, guilty, guilty. Long-pressing the power button used to bring up an option to turn your phone off, but then these companies decided to get cute and make this a shortcut to summon their digital assistant. This is bad and wrong, and I'm politely demanding that these companies return what they took from us.

Look, I get the logic. When phone screens got bigger, physical buttons like Apple's home button were axed, and existing buttons had to pick up the slack. In the iPhone X, Apple re-homed the Siri function to the power button. Since then, turning your iPhone off has required pressing a combination of buttons. If you make the fatal mistake of long-pressing the power button in hopes of turning your phone off, Siri will start listening to you as you curse about how the power button doesn't work how it should anymore. And woe to you if you don't hold down the right button combination long enough -- you'll take a screenshot that you didn't want and will have to delete later. It's just as bad on Samsung and Google phones. Long-pressing the power button on the Pixel 7 Pro just now brought up the Google Assistant and a prompt to ask it how to say sorry in Spanish. No, Google. It is you who should be apologizing. And the Galaxy S22 phones I used this year all bid me to set up Bixby whenever I made the mistake of long-pressing the power button. Both Google and Samsung let you change it back to the power menu -- and Samsung has the decency to put a shortcut to side key options on its shutdown screen -- but enough is enough. Long-pressing the power button should, by default, just turn the phone off. The thing that really adds salt to the wound is that the button combination to turn your phone off isn't even the same on every phone. On an iPhone, you can press and hold the power button and either volume key to get to shutdown options. On a Pixel phone, it's a short press of the volume up key and power button. If you screw up and press the volume down key, you'll take a screenshot, which will make you feel stupid when you find it in your photo gallery later. Samsung makes you press and hold the volume down key and power button. And Finally To Tim: the button on the iPhone is better than the Swipe
©️ Seun Stats

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by darocha1: 8:12pm On Dec 27, 2022
Hahaah, very apt with this
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by TinubuShet(m): 8:58pm On Dec 27, 2022
darocha1:
cheesy
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by BrickDevo: 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2022
Sadly it's not really an issue, since people find it easy to adapt to the new style of switching phones off... I too would prefer the basic way of shutting down phone, voice commands is way too overrated, who uses then anyways

1 Like

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Birniwa(m): 11:41pm On Dec 27, 2022
Why do you even need to turn off your phone in today's world. I sincerely can't remember the last time I turned off my phone.

Your phone needs to be on all the time, that's the new normal, deal with it.

6 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by wiseone28: 12:04am On Dec 28, 2022
I'm still in 2018

3 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Joeblazeochola(m): 12:16am On Dec 28, 2022
It's a problem only when ur touchscreen is not working.

1 Like

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by IamAsiri: 5:17am On Dec 28, 2022
This write-up is really funny cheesy; and very much intelligently written cool.

1 Like

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Administration1: 5:35am On Dec 28, 2022
Birniwa:
Why do you even need to turn off your phone in today's world. I sincerely can't remember the last time I turned off my phone.

It's not the new norm. You cannot just keep a device on for long period without shutting it down. Some OEM recommends turning your device off for some time.

9 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by falcon01: 6:44am On Dec 28, 2022
What am I missing here? There's literally an option to choose what the power button does
For me you can call up Bixby or Google assistants, you can launch the camera, you can Turn it off, restart or select Emergency mode.

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by ELEYIofNigeria: 7:06am On Dec 28, 2022
I BELIEVE I AM GOING TO USE AN IPHONE ONE DAY
hopefully soon

2 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by OKEMKPI: 7:08am On Dec 28, 2022
Birniwa:

But is is advisable to restart ur phone at least once in 2 weeks
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by oneolajire(m): 7:14am On Dec 28, 2022
Seconded

My former phone fell into water Sept 2021, I picked it up, tried to switch it off, but couldn't.

The water affected the screen immediately. The back cover was very difficult to remove. When I eventually removed it, I was disappointed to remember it was an in-built battery that can't just be pulled out.

I rushed to my screw drivers, I had lost the one to loose the tiny screws on the phone.

Wanted to rush to a nearby repair store, I checked my time, it was 7pm Saturday evening.

That was the end of the phone.

A power button could just have saved the situation

4 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by TeetoBolt(m): 7:19am On Dec 28, 2022
Why did you copy this article from theverge and you never even referenced that you copied from them it’s unfair bro ; https://www.theverge.com/23522749/phone-power-button-screen-apple-iphone-google-pixel-samsung-galaxy

11 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Abizz: 8:17am On Dec 28, 2022
Birniwa:

This was all I had in my head.
I honestly can't remember the last time I switched off my phone in like years. Highest has been putting it on flight mode.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Caleb15(m): 9:17am On Dec 28, 2022
Use Nokia
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:27am On Dec 28, 2022
The world is changing, if we really got what we asked from phone manufacturers and public sampling is done, I'm sure we'd still be in 2012 (tech-wise). Good write-up all the same
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by fuckboys: 9:45am On Dec 28, 2022
Birniwa:

dude for optimal performance it's advised you restart your phone at least once in 2 weeks.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by TinubuShet(m): 10:10am On Dec 28, 2022
TeetoBolt:
Why did you copy this article from theverge and you never even referenced that you copied from them it’s unfair bro ; https://www.theverge.com/23522749/phone-power-button-screen-apple-iphone-google-pixel-samsung-galaxy
What if I tell you I posted it first under Slashdot comment as anonymous and all mainstream media copied it...
You can check Slashdot, well I'm not famous
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Lucifyre: 10:44am On Dec 28, 2022
falcon01:
What am I missing here? There's literally an option to choose what the power button does
For me you can call up Bixby or Google assistants, you can launch the camera, you can Turn it off, restart or select Emergency mode.

Ignorance is a disease bro. You're the only sensible person on this thread.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by LienwaltAbel(m): 11:59am On Dec 28, 2022
Get used to it. Very soon PCs and consoles will stop using CDs, hard drives (which are more durable than SSDs) will stop being an option, planned obsolescence will become the norm, you'll have to pay a subscription to fully control your own car etc. It's only going to get worse. Yay capitalism.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by DaInferno(m): 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2022
TinubuShet:
Every major phone manufacturer is guilty of a serious crime, and I won't be quiet about it any longer: they stole the power button from us. Apple, Google, Samsung: guilty, guilty, guilty. Long-pressing the power button used to bring up an option to turn your phone off, but then these companies decided to get cute and make this a shortcut to summon their digital assistant. This is bad and wrong, and I'm politely demanding that these companies return what they took from us.

Look, I get the logic. When phone screens got bigger, physical buttons like Apple's home button were axed, and existing buttons had to pick up the slack. In the iPhone X, Apple re-homed the Siri function to the power button. Since then, turning your iPhone off has required pressing a combination of buttons. If you make the fatal mistake of long-pressing the power button in hopes of turning your phone off, Siri will start listening to you as you curse about how the power button doesn't work how it should anymore. And woe to you if you don't hold down the right button combination long enough -- you'll take a screenshot that you didn't want and will have to delete later. It's just as bad on Samsung and Google phones. Long-pressing the power button on the Pixel 7 Pro just now brought up the Google Assistant and a prompt to ask it how to say sorry in Spanish. No, Google. It is you who should be apologizing. And the Galaxy S22 phones I used this year all bid me to set up Bixby whenever I made the mistake of long-pressing the power button. Both Google and Samsung let you change it back to the power menu -- and Samsung has the decency to put a shortcut to side key options on its shutdown screen -- but enough is enough. Long-pressing the power button should, by default, just turn the phone off. The thing that really adds salt to the wound is that the button combination to turn your phone off isn't even the same on every phone. On an iPhone, you can press and hold the power button and either volume key to get to shutdown options. On a Pixel phone, it's a short press of the volume up key and power button. If you screw up and press the volume down key, you'll take a screenshot, which will make you feel stupid when you find it in your photo gallery later. Samsung makes you press and hold the volume down key and power button.
©️ Seun Stats
how about accessories...charger, headphones. That's what worries me most
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:35pm On Dec 28, 2022
LienwaltAbel:
Get used to it. Very soon PCs and consoles will stop using CDs, hard drives (which are more durable than SSDs) will stop being an option, planned obsolescence will become the norm, you'll have to pay a subscription to fully control your own car etc. It's only going to get worse. Yay capitalism.

You dey whine me?

CD drives add extra cost to in production and are barely even used - evolution. SSDs are faster and require lesser power to access data

Accessibility to the internet and the invention of flash drives has contributed a lot to rendering CD, DVDs, Blu-ray redundant

3 Likes

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by NwaliE01: 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2022
Putting the phone on flight mode is the mode for taking phones off network. We barely turn off phones this days. We have moved from where we used to be. Wouldn't you rather move with us?

1 Like

Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by ModCaller: 1:45pm On Dec 28, 2022
Birniwa:

Spoken like a truly ignorant person
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by dazzlingd(m): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2022
TinubuShet:

Look, I get the logic. When phone screens got bigger, physical buttons like Apple's home button were axed, and existing buttons had to pick up the slack. In the iPhone X, Apple re-homed the Siri function to the power button. Since then, turning your iPhone off has required pressing a combination of buttons. If you make the fatal mistake of long-pressing the power button in hopes of turning your phone off, Siri will start listening to you as you curse about how the power button doesn't work how it should anymore. And woe to you if you don't hold down the right button combination long enough -- you'll take a screenshot that you didn't want and will have to delete later. It's just as bad on Samsung and Google phones. Long-pressing the power button on the Pixel 7 Pro just now brought up the Google Assistant and a prompt to ask it how to say sorry in Spanish. No, Google. It is you who should be apologizing. And the Galaxy S22 phones I used this year all bid me to set up Bixby whenever I made the mistake of long-pressing the power button. Both Google and Samsung let you change it back to the power menu -- and Samsung has the decency to put a shortcut to side key options on its shutdown screen -- but enough is enough. Long-pressing the power button should, by default, just turn the phone off. The thing that really adds salt to the wound is that the button combination to turn your phone off isn't even the same on every phone. On an iPhone, you can press and hold the power button and either volume key to get to shutdown options. On a Pixel phone, it's a short press of the volume up key and power button. If you screw up and press the volume down key, you'll take a screenshot, which will make you feel stupid when you find it in your photo gallery later. Samsung makes you press and hold the volume down key and power button. And Finally To Tim: the button on the iPhone is better than the Swipe
©️ Seun Stats

Only a thief copys and paste without acknowledging the original author.

Plagiarism is a crime. It is intellectual theft.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by dazzlingd(m): 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2022
IamAsiri:
This write-up is really funny cheesy; and very much intelligently written cool.

darocha1:

He copied and pasted it.
He didn't write a single word of it
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by LienwaltAbel(m): 4:16pm On Dec 28, 2022
iLoveYouToo:

You dey whine me?

CD drives add extra cost to in production and are barely even used - evolution. SSDs are faster and require lesser power to access data

Accessibility to the internet and the invention of flash drives has contributed a lot to rendering CD, DVDs, Blu-ray redundant
Do you have good affordable internet connection in Nigeria? How many countries can even boast of good and affordable internet connection? Imagine trying to download one 130gb game with MTN grin. And yes HDDs are more reliable (sorry not durable than SSDs). The moving parts don't wear quickly like SSDs which use up their read and write cycles due to badly written drivers or software that over uses them. Let's be true to ourselves about our position abeg.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by southsouthking(m): 4:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by IamAsiri: 6:35pm On Dec 28, 2022
dazzlingd:

He copied and pasted it.
He didn't write a single word of it

But he said it is his intellectual property on one of the comments.
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by IamAsiri: 6:38pm On Dec 28, 2022
TinubuShet:

What if I tell you I posted it first under Slashdot comment as anonymous and all mainstream media copied it...
You can check Slashdot, well I'm not famous

Why then did you allow it to just slide like that?
Re: Phone Manufacturers: Please Give Us The Power Button Back by Birniwa(m): 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
fuckboys:
dude for optimal performance it's advised you restart your phone at least once in 2 weeks.

You don't have to, your OS (Android 7 and above) takes there of that (auto cache clear and processes release) once the phone is in idle state for some time, for example when you're charging it or not in use overnight.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blackberry Venice - Rumors , Leaked Photos And Release Date / MTN LTE Test Result In Abuja Today / My Infinix Note 4 Is Having Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.