Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? (33605 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2019
Santinojr:
Hello.. Did you pursue a MPH?

Plan to. I took another degree in MLS after a bachelor's in microbiology. I plan to do an MPH soon.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Sufisunni: 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2019
iHart:
If you start a post graduate study in Nigeria without a lecturing job or any prospect for a lecturing job, that is when you will know that it does not worth it. Don't listen to those lecturers advising you to go for MSc and PhD, they are not helping you. They just want you to come so they can supervise you and increase their points. They know you have little of no chance of getting a lecturing Job. I have a colleague who went to UK for MSc, he is now teaching in a secondary school in Lagos. Another friend went to Greenwich for MSc, he is back in Nigeria managing his dad's hotel.

But I will advise you to go out and start a business after your BSc. Just forget the two, this life is too short to spend it all in school, unless you have a strong passion to acquire more knowledge.
You nailed it all. PhD is more advantageous to those already in lecturing jobs, even while you are doing your PhD you are entitled to promotion; you come back and you keep moving ahead to professorship. But, someone that doesn't have any job, after PhD you start looking for one, if lucky to get one, you would be given lecturer 2. Your take home is not up to 150k. Medicine looks brighter, you might even go to developed countries and be paid very well.

5 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by UncleJudax(m): 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2019
ahms12:
Let alone to me....go for your master and PhD after that invest...success doesn't comes from the course you study, it from prayer and working smart...dangote is not a medical doctor or a biochemist, but he I the world richest man...it's high time we should start thinking differently
Money rules everything, especially in Africa.

I can understand the pro-medicine folks. I mean I also at some point wanted to be a doctor. But I am a Biochemist...and PhD is in the offing after my MSc.

But again, I am not studying in Nigeria, so the situation is kinda different for me...cos here I am exposed to contemporary research topics and methods.

I have not thought of being a doctor again...instead, I am arming myself with programming skills...

People are different. And situations influence people differently.

3 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Olami90: 8:37pm On Jan 05, 2019
DoTheNeedful:

If you are passionate about Medicine, please go for it.

Some years ago, a friend of mine with a 2:1 degree in Microbiology went back to study Medicine at the age of 26. He joined at 200 level.

Some of our peers mocked his decision then but the guy was determined. Many of us went about writing aptitude test and getting interviewed in places like KPMG, Nestle, Chevron,Cadbury and other fancy multinationals. Almost none of us got those jobs. While we were writing the tests, going for those interviews and hoping to be millionaires before our friend becomes a doctor, the guy was making steady progress in his studies.

Some other peeps went on to do masters and doctorate also. However, by the time they concluded their PhD, our friend has become a doctor and he got employed almost immediately while the ones with PhDs are looking for lecturing jobs up and down. He didn't have to serve because he did that before he went to Medical School.

Today, our friend seem to be more fulfilled than many others because he followed his passion and he is well rewarded for it.

You should know that medical doctors are better rewarded than PhD holders in most climes. If you happen to be my brother I would advise you to go to medical school if you have passion for medicine. However, if you must go for a PhD, please don't do it in Nigeria.

May I ask if you know the school this friend of yours did his Medicine?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2019
OAM4J:
Your passion bro! Your passion!

You can never get it wrong following your passion, no matter how long it takes. Even when the money is not flowing you will still be happy following your passion, but you will always look back if you are doing something that is not your passion.

I totally disagree.....totally cox there is no passion in biochemistry.

I didn't go to school to live and die with passion and no Money...

There is no money in that course and if he is a man...his case will be worst......

But as for. Ladies.......look for a successful man and enjoy the passion of ur course.

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Barywhyte(m): 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2019
oke48:
[s]Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned[/s]

Is finishing a PhD at 26 now an achievement? The main question should be what exactly are your career goals? Why do you want to do a masters and PhD in biochemistry? Why do you want to study medicine? Etc

My candid advice is that provided you're doing very well in biochemistry, you could further your studies or career by exploring an area that bridge both biochemistry and medicine.

If you don't like this, then you can go for your medicine if that's what gives you joy. It's better to do what you naturally have passion for. Better later than never.

Shalom!

This is the problem with young Nigerians. Most really don't know what they want to do with their life. These young chaps are at the mercy of life circumstances and situations

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Jman06(m): 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2019
Go for medicine guy. Biochemistry is too shallow to even impart broad knowledge into you let alone get you a decent job.

It should only be taken as a stepping stone into professional medical courses or research in specific related fields after PhD.

Go for medicine if you have the resources.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Alajiki(m): 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2019
ogawisdom:

If u have even an atom of sense u will see that all needed conditions are clearly stated. See them re-stated below, they are facts

1. Lecturer 2 (starting cadre for fresh PhD holder serving as a lecturer in Nigeria)
2. Federal university in Nigeria
3. 140k (the salary of the stated cadre)

Why the abuse? Be civil in driving home your point bro.

4 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Santinojr: 8:39pm On Jan 05, 2019
Neddyogu:

Plan to. I took another degree in MLS after a bachelor's in microbiology. I plan to do an MPH soon.
That's cool . i'm an undergraduate of Public Health

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 8:40pm On Jan 05, 2019
Santinojr:
That's cool . i'm an undergraduate of Public Health
Good one. It's a great course. Strive to do well. God bless
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by franchasng: 8:40pm On Jan 05, 2019
UncleJudax:

I can understand the pro-medicine folks. I mean I also at some point wanted to be a doctor. But I am a Biochemist...and PhD is in the offing after my MSc.

But again, I am not studying in Nigeria, so the situation is kinda different for me...cos here I am exposed to contemporary research topics and methods.

I have not thought of being a doctor again...instead, I am arming myself with programming skills...

lol I love Nigerians and their smartness with money pursuit; Chemist turned programmer, bawo shocked cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by NEDULASER(m): 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2019
Aremson14:
Good day everyone. I am a final yr biochemistry student. And i have been wondering what to do after school. Ive always dreamt of studying medicine but the situation here in Nigeria has discouraged me(due to how difficult it is to get the admission even after scoring good enough scores in Jamb and p.utme).

I'm speculating if i should take a direct entry form or i shld just head for my masters as soon as im done. Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided
everything goes as planned. But then there is this medicine i also love.

Your advice would be appreciated especially those that have been in this situation before and have already passed through this, any regrets.

YOU ARE WISE TO RESORT TO COUSNEL
GO FOR WHAT YOU LOVE ... PASSION HAS A WAY OF OPENING LOCKED DOORS

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Brownleather: 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2019
I Ll advice you to go for an MBBS degree. It would not be easy but it will be worth it in the long run. I know several guys who did physiology back then .. Finished and came back in for Medicine. They are doing so well now.
I am one of them.

Don't look at the money, your satisfaction and passion is what should drive you. Medicine is not easy. Again. But it is worth.

Trust me, Nigeria may br the easiest place to study medicine And cheaper too. Except you got your cash, connect and credits out there.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Santinojr: 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2019
Neddyogu:

Good one. It's a great course. Strive to do well. God bless
Thanks for the advice
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by JERRY222: 8:43pm On Jan 05, 2019
to tell you the truth, mbbs na scam.
Its all a bunch of frustration. If u r to do it go out of the country. Na just the name doctor.

Talking from experience

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 8:46pm On Jan 05, 2019
Santinojr:
Thanks for the advice

Welcome.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Aremson14(m): 8:46pm On Jan 05, 2019
UncleJudax:

Im also arming myself with programming also
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 05, 2019
malali:
I make over $800,000 dollars a year.
At 40years I am a multi-millionaire ($$)
Reading medicine is not all but its the first step.

I am a doctor.
What other things did you venture into?
Thanks!
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by showafrica(m): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2019
ogawisdom:
No long talk the choice is between PhD in biochemistry vs m b b s. MBBS will be more financially rewarding. A fresh PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k while a fresh Medical doctor employed in a federal medical center earns about 260k. A prof. Earns at most 500k while a medical consultant earns over 850k

After education the next thing is money, more money and much more money otherwise you will be frustrated in life.

The choice is yours

The way people go to school just to earn salaries tire me.

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Zyzman: 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2019
Aremson14:
Good day everyone. I am a final yr biochemistry student. And i have been wondering what to do after school. Ive always dreamt of studying medicine but the situation here in Nigeria has discouraged me(due to how difficult it is to get the admission even after scoring good enough scores in Jamb and p.utme).

I'm speculating if i should take a direct entry form or i shld just head for my masters as soon as im done. Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned. But then there is this medicine i also love.

Your advice would be appreciated especially those that have been in this situation before and have already passed through this, any regrets.

Bro am currently studying biochemistry in a federal university and am in 300 level and after reading this thread u just add to my doubt about how essential this course is in Nigeria's labour market. may God help us all.

4 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by adeniyisamuel59(m): 8:49pm On Jan 05, 2019
kapelvej:
grin grin grin grin how exactly, we have doctors here.
What exactly is the point, I am a pilot. We have people with different careers here. I have a friend on nairaland who is a governor now. Don't just think nairalanders are all students.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2019

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Amboif: 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2019
Please, don't make the mistake of studying medicine in this country. You will be frustrated.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by adeniyisamuel59(m): 8:53pm On Jan 05, 2019
showafrica:

The way people go to school just to earn salaries tire me.
The wealthy folks are not salary earners, that is the mistake most people make, salary earners are limited by their take-home and you could hardly do anything beyond the confine of your salary unless you have an investment.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by DoTheNeedful: 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2019
Olami90:

May I ask if you know the school this friend of yours did his Medicine?

UI
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2019
kapelvej:
grin grin grin grin how exactly, we have doctors here.

Not in Nigeria.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2019
malali:

NYSE,DOW,DJIA,NASDAQ
If I tell you I understand what you typed above then I have lied
Can you please explain?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by arinzos(m): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2019
adeniyisamuel59:
The wealthy folks are not salary earners, that is the mistake most people make, salary earners are limited by their take-home and you could hardly do anything beyond the confine of your salary unless you have an investment.
Make hm earn salary first na grin
Some people just want to be comfortable.
No be everybody wn be Dangote

3 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by BalogunIdowu(m): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2019
oke48:

I guess you would have to put a condition on this statement PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k .

Even as a PhD student here in Europe, I earn more than what a professor earns in Nigeria. Please always condition your statement, his horizons may be more than what you're assuming. Not everyone would settle for less.

We know money is important but a succesful career is more important for now. If in a way, he finds biochemistry interesting and has a good GP, I could suggest he goes abroad for his MSc and PhD. He won't regret it. I have seen students in his field do extensive research in medical labs. Medicine is far more than just prescribing drugs or carrying out operations for sick patients.

Impressive!
Well it depends on what you want. since age is still on your even as a MBBS graduate, you can still go for masters and PhD in BCH if academics is what you want and yet having the basic clinical skills.
Or do residency afterwards!

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by frank41(m): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2019
oke48:

I guess you would have to put a condition on this statement PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k .

Even as a PhD student here in Europe, I earn more than what a professor earns in Nigeria. Please always condition your statement, his horizons may be more than what you're assuming. Not everyone would settle for less.

We know money is important but a succesful career is more important for now. If in a way, he finds biochemistry interesting and has a good GP, I could suggest he goes abroad for his MSc and PhD. He won't regret it. I have seen students in his field do extensive research in medical labs. Medicine is far more than just prescribing drugs or carrying out operations for sick patients.

Don't mind him...His suggestions has no basis
If a lecturer in federal university earn 140k.How much does a graduate assistant earns?
Secondly do you know what it entails to get to residency?
Thirdly, most lecturers are into other biz that pays them well which a practicing medical doctor will work all thru the whole day.
Fourthly,it is all about passion...if you have the fund travel abroad and go for your M.sc &PHD and you won't regret it o.it is only in Nigerians that doctors are given preferences but same is not applicable in other countries.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2019
Neddyogu:

Graduates of Sociology, Statistics and co pursue MPH but a graduate of BCH can't? I hear u sir

Oga pls don't quote me, check differences between environmental public health and public health proper! Don't mislead d young man. And check basic requirements for masters of d two and stop d gibberish.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by naunasabi: 8:59pm On Jan 05, 2019
Neddyogu:

He can get a job with any of these NGOs with an MPH.

Good pay abi na just management?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Families Rock Aso Ebi For Children’s Graduation In The US (photos) / 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding / Kaduna Poly Admission Admission Placement Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.