Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? (33601 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Mallamsahoo1: 7:05pm On Jan 06, 2019
oluwamile:
if only u believe bro,u cn move any mountain
I wrote jamb 5times al cox i wanna study pharmacy
I gained adm after the 3rd time,bt it wasnt pharmacy,i took up d course till i got to 3rd year b4 pharmacy came thru
Dnt give up on mbbs bro,it will really worth d struggle at d end
Go to ukraine with bch to study mbbs,i av a friend doing dt currently

Eh no easy o
Have you through with your programme now or still a student?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by being(m): 7:35pm On Jan 06, 2019
A lot of respondents have touted medicine over ph.d. as a more lucrative option both in Nigeria and abroad.

My problem with medicine is the rigours of medicine in school and much more during practice. Would you want to go through that stress your entire life?!! For you to enjoy medicine through the stress, you must really love it- just the dr title or little respect or even moni won't cut it. - so thats another angle.
For biochemistry- truth is in nigeria, not so many opportunities exist. But then must your career b strictly about biochem or medicine- cant u find other things u enjoy to do?

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by swiperthefox: 8:18pm On Jan 06, 2019
malali:
I make over $800,000 dollars a year.
At 40years I am a multi-millionaire ($$)
Reading medicine is not all but its the first step.

I am a doctor.
So you make about 66k dollars a month?
Where do you work? What part of medical field are you in?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Evicsholar(f): 8:28pm On Jan 06, 2019
oke48:

Good point and God bless you for pointing out facts. That was why I stated that if he had a strong GP and also finds biochemistry interesting, he could travel abroad to further his studies. Furthering his studies abroad can be in 2 ways

1) He can finance himself (maybe personal/parent/relative support)
2) On scholarship

He could particularly research in an area that bridge both biochemistry and medicine. After high school, I wanted to study medicine but of course, with Nigeria universities admission system, I ended up studying mathematics. Even though I still had the passion for medicine, I made sure I took mathematics serious because that was what life was giving me at that moment. Instead of going back to study medicine, I resolved to pursue a career that bridge both mathematics and medicine. Now, I am currently doing my PhD studies in Biomathematics in Europe. I can categorically say that I feel fulfilled because I am still exploring medicine with mathematical tools. My point here is that our destiny lies in our hands and whatever we feel may work for us, we should do. If it goes well, fine, we gain from it. If on the hand, it goes bad (I don't pray for this), it's a lesson; we learn from it.
Perfectly worded.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by CapitanS: 8:51pm On Jan 06, 2019
Follow your dream, that's the way to fulfilment
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by clems93(m): 8:46am On Jan 07, 2019
Admitwithschola:

Make sure you don't try to study law if this is not in your "passion set".

That said, if you're a top, top student in your biochem degree, you could get a scholarship to study medicine abroad, full scholarship, provide you also take and blast some other tests. As far as Nigeria is concerned, the chances of landing a decent job as a medical doctor are way, way, way, higher than for lawyers.

Do you have a top GPA in your biochem?
Kindly share tips / links to getting full scholarships to study medicine abroad. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Zyzman: 9:44am On Jan 07, 2019
QueTeddy:

Am in my final year... Biochemistry... But the way you guys are talking about this course eh.. I was also thinking I'll drift into medicine, by the looks of it I'll be 22-23 when I want to start, do you think its still safe?

Me I can't say oh. I should even be the one asking u self. cos am in 300 level.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by oluwamile(m): 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2019
Mallamsahoo1:

Eh no easy o
Have you through with your programme now or still a student?
still a student
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Tony142: 5:04pm On Jan 07, 2019
None, many PhD and medical doctors are jobless, there is no job in Nigeria , unless u have connection , my dvice is dat u should go and learn how to make money
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Mallamsahoo1: 3:38pm On Jan 08, 2019
oluwamile:
still a student
Okay, best of luck bro. I rep UDUS part 2
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 08, 2019
I've been following this thread right from the first past and I've been seeing how people say medicine is more lucrative than the MSC degree. My question is pls how lucrative is Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria presently cus I would love to go for that? Thanks
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by arinzos(m): 11:24pm On Jan 08, 2019
oluwadamilare247:
I've been following this thread right from the first past and I've been seeing how people say medicine is more lucrative than the MSC degree. My question is pls how lucrative is Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria presently cus I would love to go for that? Thanks
MLS is very Lucrative. grin
You can Work as a MLSt in Teaching Hospitals,FMCs and Private Hospitals,NDLEA,NAFDAC and others. grin
You can decide to open your private Laboratory.
You can go into importation of Reagents,chemicals,Medical equipements e.t.c.
You can also Lecture.You will start as an Asst.Lecturer.

Your Moniker is familiar.Do you have any connection with UNN?

Follow this Link below to learn more about MLS.
https://www.nairaland.com/261398/medical-laboratory-scientists-forum/37

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 09, 2019
arinzos:

MLS is very Lucrative. grin
You can Work as a MLSt in Teaching Hospitals,FMCs and Private Hospitals,NDLEA,NAFDAC and others. grin
You can decide to open your private Laboratory.
You can go into importation of Reagents,chemicals,Medical equipements e.t.c.
You can also Lecture.You will start as an Asst.Lecturer.

Your Moniker is familiar.Do you have any connection with UNN?

Follow this Link below to learn more about MLS.
https://www.nairaland.com/261398/medical-laboratory-scientists-forum/37

Wow Thanks for this piece of information. I really appreciate.
Yes, how come you know?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by arinzos(m): 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2019
oluwadamilare247:

Wow Thanks for this piece of information. I really appreciate.
Yes, how come you know?
UNN Dreams grin

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 10, 2019
arinzos:

UNN Dreams grin

Oh yes! grin
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 28, 2019
toysleek:

You have no friggin' facts and you are not a junior reg..Why claiming to be a doctor when you are not? Wannabe..In Jan 2018, you claimed you were in 400l MLS, went through your posts and realized you've been interested in anything MLS.Better face your books and finish well because if you end up with a 2-2, no MPH for you oo
The foolish olodo has deactivated
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by toysleek(f): 8:40pm On Jan 28, 2019
camobri:

The foolish olodo has deactivated
Don't mind him
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 13, 2019
Aremson14:

Hmm thanks
He told you the truth. I studied Parasitology and graduated with 2.1, but I didn't get a job for over 8 years. I even wasted my time studying for a master's degree. I thereafter went into business, but it seemed education is the best career choice for me. I later bought a direct entry form for medicine. Now I'm a medical student. Medicine has always been my passion. I don't care about my age again. I even met guys older than I am, studying medicine and law. I regret why I wasted my time to study parasitology. Non-professional courses don't work in Nigeria. You're still young. Follow your passion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Families Rock Aso Ebi For Children’s Graduation In The US (photos) / 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding / Nobel Laureate Joins Covenant University Faculty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.