Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

I Think I Need Some Business Partners! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Think I Need Some Business Partners! (3562 Views)

I Want To Go Into Keke Napep Business, Please I Need Some Guidelines / Some Business Opportunities In The Downstream Oil And Gas Sector / Some Business Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 11:03pm On Apr 17, 2007
Hello,

Sometime ago, I started working really hard on creating a real world business. Each time, I would sit down and formulate all sorts of strategies for a new business idea and show them to trustworthy people. After further discussions, I would discover that the business requires a manager with skills I don't have, and drop it unceremoniously. This month, I decided to focus on web business until further notice.

However, there's a lot of research I've stumbled upon that someone with a more appropriate personality - someone who knows how to deal with corporate bodies and the public and who is not easily discouraged by the complete madness and unreliability of the Nigerian business community - might be able to use. I'm thinking of starting 2 or 3 businesses by partnering with such people. Each collaboration would be a partnership; and I'll be the strategist.

If you're interested, please let me know what kind of business you are looking into. I'm going to be updating this thread with various business ideas I've stumbled upon, so you can pick the one that's made for you. (99% of them would require a partner that is based in Lagos or Ogun State). This will be an educative journey, if not exciting.

Thanks!

UPDATED: Business 001: A Popular Blog
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by freespirit(m): 11:36pm On Apr 17, 2007
nice one. good thinking and nice idea seun. it will benefit a lot of people who are willing and eagerly wanting to go into partnership with you. keep it up
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by deejay1(m): 11:43pm On Apr 17, 2007
but why will it be only you that you are ganna be the strategist? is it that you are trying to play the so called smart game? but seriously I buy your idea and I wont say am in or out until I see what the business idea you said you are ganna update are. then i will decide whether to one of your partners.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Emmyz: 8:55am On Apr 18, 2007
Hi Seun,
It lovely knowing that you need a business partner, well am a little bit surprised that you are doing this, cos i thougth you're never interested in working with people, especially those tha you do not have apersonal rapport with. M-A-N, i love your gurt, i love your business line and though i've never met you i person - i love your kinda person.
Meanwhile, sometimes back i sent a couple of mails to your about a business plan that i've got (Guess you might not remember: the nairaland fan club idea), you never reply me or rather let me say you were too busy with your movie project. I love that anyway.
Am still much available for that fan club project, cos i see a big prospect in it, if really you need businesss partner as you said - am much available. Please email me or call me (+23480 2054 8243 or +23480 6120 5359), but dont get this wrong that am pushing too much for your support, simply understand that its basically because of the copyright that am doing this - but i got the idea, the plan and the sponsors.
Dont get angry with this and i hope you wont delete it as i know it's suppose to be just-the-two-of-us deal, but i made it open so that someday, somehow someone would holla me to know more a bout this  and we can get started from the scrash.
Thanks a lot for putting together this great forum for people to meet and share idea. God bless you pal.
E-mail me or call me cos i would be leaving the town soon. jaittojeffrey@yahoo.com

Much respect,
Jeffrey
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by tEsLim(m): 10:52am On Apr 18, 2007
I cant work in an environment where idea comes from only one person. Share strategies. The new age is about synergy. Working together and sharing together.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 9:43am On Apr 19, 2007
Guys and gals,

I appreciate your interest and support, guys. Let's start from the first idea:

A popular blog (equivalent to a newspaper column) for Nigerians who are online. The blog will discuss the various issues that are relevant in the Nigerian media scene on a daily basis, and will be maintained by a full time writer.

As my business partner, I need a writer who is willing to take a risk and face this blog without pay for 3-6 months, after which it is expected to become profitable. I need someone who really loves to write, because I'll expect the writer to work full-time on it for 2-5 years after the site becomes profitable.

My role will be to (a) Host and maintain the website (b) Promote and market the website using the resources at my disposal, including the Nairaland website (c) Create a viable long and short term success strategy and motivate the writer to continue to follow it. (d) Guide the writer towards maximum productivity.

The writer's role will be to (a) Update the blog with new articles consistently and to the best of your abilities. (b) Face the blog as your full-time duty. (c) Cooperate with me to make the site a success in every way.

The relationship between me and the writer won't be an employer-employee relationship at all; it will be governed by a contract. You will be paid a fixed percentage of the site's revenue as long as you keep your terms of the contract.

If either one of us is no longer able to honor the terms of the contract, it can be dissolved at any time by using a "shotgun clause" such that the person that the site most will pay a fair price to the other person (A will pay the price that B is ready to pay to control the site). The purchaser will own the site 100% - that's the exit plan.

So, that's the first idea I came up with about a year ago. I actually started a blog at www.naijarita.com, but my love for writing is not great enough to motivate me to maintain a blog full-time. Is there any 'writerpreneur' on this site who is ready to work with me to make this dream a reality?

Thanks a million.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by eko4show(m): 10:50am On Apr 19, 2007
if i get you write , you seem to need a "dummy" that would front for your impeccable genius. a mere extension of your brilliance and business prowess. somebody who may not understand the WHYs and WHATs of a stands for.

what do you take this forum for, a bunch of uneducated fellas i suppose,
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by eko4show(m): 10:51am On Apr 19, 2007
what you need is a sales person or a marketer, certainly not a partner. you could find loads of such guys in alaba and oshodi
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by ristic(f): 11:38am On Apr 19, 2007
Hi, i read through your proposal. But my clause there is the work without expecting returns for months then working full-time does not really go down well. i can offer my help, unless you are ok with the fact that i will still continue with my present job.

Let me hear your view.

Thank you
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 19, 2007
@seun,
I don't really think you need a full-time writer unless you are willing to pay full-time salary cheesy cheesy cheesy Do you think anyone will like to work full-time for six months without pay Besides,being the sole strategist in a partnership,in this time and age is unheard of,one and a half heads are better than one!Team work results in a synergy that can be very productive.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by tellmemore(m): 2:13pm On Apr 19, 2007
eko4show:

if i get you write , you seem to need a "dummy" that would front for your impeccable genius. a mere extension of your brilliance and business prowess. somebody who may not understand the WHYs and WHATs of a stands for.

It couldn't be said better grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by loungr(m): 2:37pm On Apr 19, 2007
Seun I think you have the business already written down to the last detail such that it cant be a partner relationship but a employer employee. You have already determined your contribution and theirs.

On an off point, is blogging really that profitable, i think blogging networks can be e.g problogger.net So why not get a copy of wordpress mu install it market it get more and more nairaland users to blog on a revenue sharing basis.

Hence instead of one blog you have many blogs and your writers are all earning money, which is a lot more incentive than the guy working for free for 6 months. All you need to make sure is your seo and marketing is in check
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by junegirl(f): 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2007
@Seun: I think what you need to do is get volunteers who will contribute write-ups or work on the project on a part time basis.b There are people who love writing so much, they could agree to such a deal. You definitely don't need a partner cos there's no space for one in the arrangement you outlined above. Nwayz, all the best.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by 50kobo: 4:09pm On Apr 19, 2007
Seun, I think you need a writer more than a partner, perhaps you can post this on the literature section/job section of this forum.

I wont say you need a '"partner" , because a partner is more involved in the business, in terms of strategy. You can do a casting call, and get people to send in their written work.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Aproko(f): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2007
i love writing, but not in the dummy style you are proposing.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by freelance(m): 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2007
@ Seun

I think you  need a freelance writer not just a full time writer. And you don't really sound as if you need a "real" partner. i love your ideas and concepts but would need people to execute them. It might not be very easy to motivate some one for that long without pay. sad

You have to give your "partner" , a sense of belonging. He would like it and appreciate it, if his ideas are also implemented. You just have to learn to be flexible and not be like Ford.

Try and get freelance writers to write for you. And you should pay them or find a way to compensate them for it. Everyone needs a reliable business partner

No doubt, you are a genius grin but you need also very gud interpersonal skills to get gud people to work well with you.

I wish you all the best. Would be glad to help where and when necessary

Cheers!!!!!

You will succeed!!
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Agboola1(m): 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2007
all have said well but you fellas can be a little bit more soft on this issue. its only a proposal not a commando order. he is our friend and a creator of our friendship platform. we should advice on how to go about it and what to do.

@seun

because i believe and like what you are doing, i can give you a banner advert on my portal ( www.karajakataja.com ) for the blog site untill income starts coming in.

if you wish you can hola me on ola@karajakataja.com

goodluck bro
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by hoodboi(m): 7:55pm On Apr 19, 2007
sup seun, yes it's a very good idea u hav here, nairalanders can be very annoying so i hope you do not mind the results you've gotten from this, i wish to speak to you privately on this issue, please email me at keepingit_gangstar@yahoo.com
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by LearnBook: 8:45pm On Apr 19, 2007
I think its a good idea. If you look at popular blogs on the Internet like techcrunch.com or gigaom.com, they started with one blog and moved to different areas. Maybe, you could look for someone who already has a job and will start part-time and as revenues increase may be able to move full time.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by beavers007(m): 11:26pm On Apr 19, 2007
eko4show:

Your argument lacks intelligence.

@general
All the folks calling it a "dummy partnership" have no idea what business is all about.
Someone comes up with an idea, he has all the technical expertise and is funding the project extensively,and he wants you to just come on board and offers you percentage of profits and you call that a dummy partnership because he says you would work for 3 months without pay.
Hmmm!If only you knew how benevolent and beneficial this offer is, you would jump on it.

@Seun
Anyways Seun, my advice,instead of making it a partnership,get a couple of volunteers to write and earn commisions based on revenues coming in. I even feel blogs are more interesting when they have a more personal touch, hence the blogger doesn't have to work full-time.Truly, a part -timer would do.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 4:21am On Apr 20, 2007
but why will it be only you that you are going to be the strategist?
Because that's what I do best. In addition to that, I'm not so good at making people understand how right I am.

is it that you are trying to play the so called smart game?
I wouldn't want to be caught dead playing a "dumb" game! I want to play a smart game with smart partners. wink

but seriously I buy your idea and I wont say am in or out until I see what the business idea you said you are ganna update are. then i will decide whether to one of your partners.
I appreciate your support, but: first, you have to be qualified!

I can't work in an environment where idea comes from only one person. Share strategies.
I believe in sharing strategies. In fact, I do that a lot with my e-friends. But I'd like to hold the veto in that area.

if i get you write , you seem to need a "dummy" that would front for your impeccable genius.
No, I need a smart person who loves profits as much as I do; who isn't just trying to get an easy salary.

On the contrary, I don't speak the language of uneducated people. I need educated people who can think clearly.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 4:36am On Apr 20, 2007
ristic:
Hi, i read through your proposal. But my clause there is the work without expecting returns for months then working full-time does not really go down well. i can offer my help, unless you are ok with the fact that i will still continue with my present job. Let me hear your view. Thank you.
I'd like to see the best that you've written. If you're talented and motivated, I can make some concessions.

candy:
I don't really think you need a full-time writer unless you are willing to pay full-time salary
I worked full time on Nairaland for almost a year before I started getting paid. If I could do it, others probably can.

being the sole strategist in a partnership,in this time and age is unheard of,one and a half heads are better than one! Team work results in a synergy that can be very productive.
Group decision making is not very effective if the aim is to get from point A to point B. Someone must be in charge. I'm not saying that i won't involve you in the decision-making process, but that I'll be responsible for it. People hardly understand me when I make my best decisions, so I can't waste time trying to convince them.

@loungr: I appreciate your insights into this matter. A blog can be profitable if it's focused on a niche that appeals to advertisers. One example is the most popular blog in the world: www.engadget.com. Blog networks are nice, but usually only one or two blogs in the network would really be successful. A professional blog network has to pay all its bloggers and motivate them to be consistent. This is not easy in Nigeria, so I want to focus on just one. Concerning the rigidity of my vision, I believe that the terms can be made better during the negotiation stage.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 4:43am On Apr 20, 2007
Anyways Seun, my advice,instead of making it a partnership,get a couple of volunteers to write and earn commissions based on revenues coming in. I even feel blogs are more interesting when they have a more personal touch, hence the blogger doesn't have to work full-time. Truly, a part -timer would do.
I need someone who will be dedicated. Really dedicated. Freelancers would be full of excuses: NEPA, ISP issues.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by freelance(m): 9:35am On Apr 20, 2007
It's all gud but i don't just understand, how you want to motivate someone for that long without pay and it's still going to be on a full time basis.

Personally, i feel the person should still be given some kind of allowance before the business becomes very profitable. No matter how small so as to cover some personal operational costs of the person.

Another option, you can have some topics and then make an advert for freelance writers to write on each topic. If your article is taken then you are paid or compensated or better still, your blog or site would be promoted by the blog or your site.

You can also finetune or edit the articles to suit your standard.

It's a nice idea and there would always be a way for you to work things out and you would still be the Chief Strategist abi Chief Strategic Officer (CSO) grin

If you however still insist in having things done your way. Then you post the job descriptions of your partner and also am sure the partner would be reporting to the Chief Strategic Officer.

But wait a minute, if i can write that well and am really that gud at writing. Then can you tell me why i should be writing for another person for months without pay when i can also have my own blog and be making pay?

Sure that is food for thought.

Let's share views

You will succeed!!!
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by naijaguru(m): 12:13pm On Apr 20, 2007
From Freelancer.

But wait a minute, if i can write that well and am really that good at writing. Then can you tell me why i should be writing for another person for months without pay when i can also have my own blog and be making pay?

Sure that is food for thought.

Oops! I guess the CSO have an answer.

Moreover, you can buy technology easily, but can you buy up skills or personality? As a writer, I can pay a webmaster to design and maintain my site while I post my write ups.

Big Seg pays me for http://mathematical7.com not the other way round. A smart developer should concentrate on developing tools for others. Thats our business. If you are looking into business strategies, then become a business man and not a technology man. Trust me cool codes and sound logic does not translate into shrewd business ideas. It takes more,
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 2:25pm On Apr 20, 2007
But wait a minute, if i can write that well and am really that good at writing. Then can you tell me why i should be writing for another person for months without pay when i can also have my own blog and be making pay?
1) If you are writing your own blog, you will similarly not make any money in the first 3-6 months.
2) If by magic the blog is able to make money in the first 3-6 months, I won't withhold the money from you.
3) If you're a good writer, chances are that you need guidance on choosing which topics will make you money.
4) I am lucky enough to be in a position to really promote any website with quality content inside it. Also:
5) My understanding of how to promote a website has already been validated by the success of Nairaland. wink

Trust me cool codes and sound logic does not translate into shrewd business ideas. It takes more,
Outside the web, I'm a newbie, but as far as web business is concerned, I think I can be considered a veteran.

Personally, i feel the person should still be given some kind of allowance before the business becomes very profitable.
I can do that. I can provide a living allowance; something the writer can survive on during the start-up period.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by deejay1(m): 1:42pm On Apr 21, 2007
nice idea oga admin but y'all know it better not to do what you wont be your best in/ at. AM OUT! but oga seun its a fantastic idea dont let mediocre minded people put you off. bro it only takes one project to hit a home run!! when people say you dont need a partner or all you need is/are volunteers or writers and stuffs like that, it only you that knows what you need and not what you wanted if you get what am on about. good luck bros
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by loungr(m): 2:53pm On Apr 21, 2007
Seun:

@loungr: I appreciate your insights into this matter. A blog can be profitable if it's focused on a niche that appeals to advertisers. One example is the most popular blog in the world: www.engadget.com. Blog networks are nice, but usually only one or two blogs in the network would really be successful. A professional blog network has to pay all its bloggers and motivate them to be consistent. This is not easy in Nigeria, so I want to focus on just one. Concerning the rigidity of my vision, I believe that the terms can be made better during the negotiation stage.

But engadget is part of Weblogs Inc another blog network
. Blogging is booming in Nigeria no doubt and evrybody is presently on .
The thing is with blogging is only successful when its done with passion, if you get 1 or 2 bloggers whats to say they'll be the ones that will make money you might have to fire a few when there writing isnt up to scratch or dont hit the targets.

Start a blog network get loads of people to blog pay them according to the success of their blogs or even implement a revenue sharing system.
I have doubts about naija blogs making money, mostly because the most popular ones have content thhat dont generate high income
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by hoodboi(m): 8:29pm On Apr 21, 2007
Come to think of it seun, they are kind of right, u can't motivate someone to work fulltime without pay for that long. I have an offer for you, check this blog of mine. money-sex..com, i can change d name of this blog and continue usin it, but i won't still work fulltime. cus naija situation is bad rite now it is not wasy at all.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 11:49pm On Apr 23, 2007
I've got so many pending emails, but what I really want to see if evidence of your overwhelming talents.
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Seun(m): 10:37pm On Apr 24, 2007
I think I'll just spend the rest of my life moderating Nairaland. I can't seem to succeed at anything else. Cheers!
Re: I Think I Need Some Business Partners! by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 25, 2007
Seun:
I worked full time on Nairaland for almost a year before I started getting paid. If I could do it, others probably can. People hardly understand me when I make my best decisions, so I can't waste time trying to convince them.

You can work on nairaland for one year without getting paid 'cos nairaland is your brainchild. This is a different case.You can afford to work for 3-6 months on your new project but i don't think anyone will be willing to take that risk of writing full-time without pay. I believe you have good intentions here but you are not presenting it in an attractive way.

If people hardly understand you when you take decions,then you'll fare better in a one-man show.You just be the boss and hire hands not partners!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hallmark Bank Is Back As Ecobank / Portfolio Nad Debt Management Institute Of Nigeria / How Much Is Nairaland Worth In 'dollar' Or 'naira'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.