Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora (5549 Views)

World’s Tallest Drum Unveiled At Nigerian Drums Festival In Ogun (PHOTOS) / Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? / Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Aromokudu: 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2010
Dear Nairalanders,

I am a young enthusiastic Nigerian living in the UK who really wants to make a change in our beloved country Nigeria.

I have an idea that would appeal to the younger Nigerian generation. With all due respect, I believe that those above the age of 25 are too far one, to scared of reprisal or have become part of the corrupt machinery that will eventually move our country into obscurity.

We need to start a grass root organization of like minded people that will change Nigeria for the better.

I especilally wanted to reach out to the young Nigerians in diaspora all over the world, who wanted to connect with Nigeria.

The main purpose of this project is to connect young Nigeria as a whole even those who are away from home.

Considering the type of audience this project will be aimed at I am not sure what kind of format would be most effective .For example, magazines,website, regular e mails, etc.

I also need your help, Nairalanders, in deciding what should be in this magazine/website.

What are the topics that you would want to see there?

What kind of message do you want to send to the future of our country?

Do you think there should be adverts in it?

Do you know if similar projects going on or people that I could talk to?

Thank you Nairlalanders, your help is greatlyappreciated.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by ChinenyeN(m): 10:30pm On Aug 09, 2010
Hmm. . . well, if you manage to find enough like-minded Nigerians, then I would suggest you set up a website dedicated to understanding the socio-politics of Nigeria, since much of Nigeria's problems stem from a stagnant (to say the very least) socio-political environment. Set it up like a neutral and independent online journal/socio-political organization; not affiliated with an particular party/ideology.

Try to develop it into an organization that will work particularly toward giving the youth both in Nigeria and diaspora, a political voice, in terms of a neutral third party/independent youth committee which reviews and assesses the socio-political environment, in hopes of training and raising youth who can function as politically unaffiliated, socio-political youth "auditors" of policy, politicians, political parties, etc. Youth "auditors"/assessors of the overall socio-political atmosphere and undertakings.

Its headquaters should be in diaspora and there should be a 'central station' stationed at Nigeria's capital. Should the capital of Nigeria be moved, so should that 'central station'. Then it can have various chapters in various states.

Such a setup will not be an easy task though. So you should seek like-minded, well-informed youth who feel and are up to the task.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by InkedNerd(f): 11:44pm On Aug 09, 2010
Aromokudu:

I should have sections for politics [both local and abroad], beauty/fashion, entertainment [music, movies, etc], events [both local and abroad], career section, and an advice column.

As for the message you want to send, it should be multiple messages. Your team should consist of a wide variety of people [different ethnic groups, economic backgrounds, religions, etc]

As an advertising student, I think you should have adverts in it. That's how magazines make money, its not just based on the sales of the magazines.

I do know of similar projects, I'll get back to you when I get a list of all of them.

Hope that answered all your questions.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Aromokudu: 11:02am On Aug 10, 2010
Thank you so much, I look forward to checking out your list.

Thank you.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Acidosis(m): 12:19pm On Aug 10, 2010
A website/e-mail is an appropiate medium for such project. The truth is, Nigerian teens aren't interested in magazines, we hardly read books ( here in Nigeria though). A large percentage of teens now have access to the internet, its readily accessible and it has a wider coverage.
I'll also suggest you start with a facebook page where people can get updates, info, news and recent development, thereafter you can think of developing a website.
Cheers!
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by ollypass: 12:20pm On Aug 10, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Hmm. . . well, if you manage to find enough like-minded Nigerians, then I would suggest you set up a website dedicated to understanding the socio-politics of Nigeria, since much of Nigeria's problems stem from a stagnant (to say the very least) socio-political environment. Set it up like a neutral and independent online journal/socio-political organization; not affiliated with an particular party/ideology.

Try to develop it into an organization that will work particularly toward giving the youth both in Nigeria and diaspora, a political voice, in terms of a neutral third party/independent youth committee which reviews and assesses the socio-political environment, in hopes of training and raising youth who can function as politically unaffiliated, socio-political youth "auditors" of policy, politicians, political parties, etc. Youth "auditors"/assessors of the overall socio-political atmosphere and undertakings.

Its headquaters should be in diaspora and there should be a 'central station' stationed at Nigeria's capital. Should the capital of Nigeria be moved, so should that 'central station'. Then it can have various chapters in various states.

Such a setup will not be an easy task though. So you should seek like-minded, well-informed youth who feel and are up to the task.

you would really need like-minded teens cos can the average teen in the diaspora be interested in all the socio-political dynamics illustrated above? i doubt much. Also Since its about effecting changes in future you should look for friends in the corridors of power,that way what ever is written could fall into a listening ear in Aso ville which is what i feel we need now.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Odunnu: 12:29pm On Aug 10, 2010
Acidosis:

A website/e-mail is an appropiate medium for such project. The truth is, Nigerian teens aren't interested in magazines, we hardly read books ( here in Nigeria though). A large percentage of teens now have access to the internet, its readily accessible and it has a wider coverage.
I'll also suggest you start with a facebook page where people can get updates, info, news and recent development, thereafter you can think of developing a website. 
Cheers!

Pal, I hvnt seen dat stuff yet o.Wetin happn?hop u got my mail addy right? justwise@hotmail.co.uk
Abeg,try.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by dapsycool(m): 12:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
Aromokudu:

Dear Nairalanders,

I am a young enthusiastic Nigerian living in the UK who really wants to make a change in our beloved country Nigeria.

I have an idea that would appeal to the younger Nigerian generation. With all due respect, I believe that those above the age of 25 are too far one, to scared of reprisal or have become part of the corrupt machinery that will eventually move our country into obscurity.

We need to start a grass root organization of like minded people that will change Nigeria for the better.

I especilally wanted to reach out to the young Nigerians in diaspora all over the world, who wanted to connect with Nigeria.

The main purpose of this project is to connect young Nigeria as a whole even those who are away from home.

Considering the type of audience this project will be aimed at I am not sure what kind of format would be most effective .For example, magazines,website, regular e mails, etc.

I also need your help, Nairalanders, in deciding what should be in this magazine/website.

I'm involved in something similar, though limited to Nigerian youths in Finland. A website is indispensable but having a magazine may not be necessary. We can discuss outside Nairaland, ok?
Nigerian youths or teenagers? grin
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Acidosis(m): 1:13pm On Aug 10, 2010
Odunnu:

Pal, I hvnt seen dat stuff yet o.Wetin happn?hop u got my mail addy right? justwise@hotmail.co.uk
Abeg,try.
check ur mail. . Am so sorry for the delay
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by kobikwelu(m): 1:17pm On Aug 10, 2010
@ topic

nice job
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by enomakos(m): 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2010
good idea,keep it up
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by samdigo(m): 3:06pm On Aug 10, 2010
u got my support,
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by collinsfbi(m): 3:11pm On Aug 10, 2010
@poster,

I quite agree with u but in situation like this, a lot of things have to be put in place. The internet will play a better role but don’t forget other means of information have to be considered too like the world media houses and local ones such as CNN, BBC etc. It has to be a powerful organization supported by powerful younger Nigerians within and in Diaspora. To revive Nigeria from this present predicament, all hands must be on deck. We need every viable young Nigerians to speak with one voice, let’s us restore the beauty of our denatured cities, let’s take over power from the relics of these old monsters, let’s save our generation from unemployment, let’s put corruption behind bar in Nigeria, let’s face the reality. Sometimes running away might not be the best but either we like it or not one day we will all come back home, to the cities he have failed to save from ruin. Brothers and sisters to save Nigeria we don’t need Obama to fight for us neither do we need UNN or any world organizations to fight for us, let’s put our mindset together and fight injustice, rebellion and corruption in our fatherland. Everyday you see thousands of |Nigerians at various embassies battling for visa to run off the border, my brother even you run away today, mind you one day you will return to share from the pains and anguish of the dying soul in this country even if u return with money, I can assure you that money will not save you from insecurity and many others. Right now, wherever you maybe, let’s speak to the nooks and crannies of Nigeria, let’s save our unborn offspring from pains. Nigeria is a blessed state shattered by our fathers and forefathers but now is the time to save our future from annihilation and devastation. If Nigeria should continue like this I am afraid thing will never get better. Let’s use all our vigour with the content of western education acquired across the globe to refurnish Nigeria glory.

If any organization most to be set up, I strongly advice that everybody political parasites deny the glory of Nigeria from shining most be exposed. They said they are representing our interest not knowing there feeding on the national cake. You see them buy houses all over Europe, sending their kids to the best school in Europe and America but they will never resolve the conflict of ASUU. You see them in luxury cars but will never resolve the problem behind hike price in petroleum product and never pray for us to have our own refinery. You see them in mansion with full electricity supply 24/7 but they never care if other citizens have stable electricity or not but they will rather encouraging the importation of generators. Everyday you see thousands of Nigerian graduates roaming the street looking for job, they never care instead they will recruit younger Nigerians as tugs and body guides during election periods. They toyed with our lives, they mortgaged our future, they murdered our voice, now we have become preys in their hands.

My brothers and sister, how I wish I could be given the opportunity to express air my view but they will threaten my voice which mean one man cannot save Nigeria, it requires conglomeration of interest. Let’s come together for better Nigeria
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by collinsfbi(m): 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
@poster and everbody concerning issues that will make Nigeira better, guys, everybody, make una carry go, u gat my back. Ready to write for our freedom. If any qualms, get me updated at toaster2k3@hotmail.com

Thanks
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by marcus1234: 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2010
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by chemali: 4:20pm On Aug 10, 2010
another springing money-spinning venture in the name of NGO.  undecided

na so e dey start.

all those 'NGOs' collecting hard currency from USAID, DFID, Ford foundation, Unicef, etc. . . . what impact have they had on the youths or the masses?? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by jason12345: 4:54pm On Aug 10, 2010
Hey good idea, but firstly am down with it Jason_habeeb@yahoo.co.uk my e-mail
Secondly, u need funds and teens who's parents are in position of power (thats if they care)
It also depend, if God can make it work.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by ChinenyeN(m): 5:08pm On Aug 10, 2010
olly pass:

you would really need like-minded teens cos can the average teen in the diaspora be interested in all the socio-political dynamics illustrated above? i doubt much. Also Since its about effecting changes in future you should look for friends in the corridors of power,that way what ever is written could fall into a listening ear in Aso ville which is what i feel we need now.
I suggested the diaspora more so for regulation purposes than for anything else. Out in diaspora (out of Nigeria), countries have laws and regulations that are strictly enforced. So the diaspora headquarters has no choice, but to be accountable for itself and its branches. This would then force 'central station' (the actual active headquarters, in Nigeria) to be accountable for the various branches in Nigeria, because any discrepancy in accounts, management, files, etc., between the 'central station' will be reflected at the diaspora headquarters, and the laws of that country would swiftly apply. So, the diaspora 'headquarters' setup is just a way to help ensure that the organization does not get into the habit of bad practices.

The teens/young adults who will actually be active members of the organization will be at-home Nigerians. The diaspora setup will just be for regulatory and overseas training purposes (if need be).
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Ruq: 5:35pm On Aug 10, 2010
This is Gonna take a long time!
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by InkedNerd(f): 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2010
As long as she has patience, support, and dedication, she'll be fine.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Ruq: 5:50pm On Aug 10, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

As long as she has patience, support, and dedication, she'll be fine.

Hopefully!
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by InkedNerd(f): 5:52pm On Aug 10, 2010
Ruq:

Hopefully!

lol awww you kinda sound like you think it might fail
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Afroprince(m): 8:49pm On Aug 10, 2010
Nice project, Website is very important, social media - a very strong tool u cannot ignore (facebook, twitter, linked-in), e-newsletters another strong tool, there are good ones you can customize and enjoy freely. Magazine can come up when these other mediums gain enough exposure and fan-base, Goodluck!!!
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by HighChief4(m): 9:21pm On Aug 10, 2010
@Poster

I can see that you have a vision driven force, first off, you have to know the kind of people you get into this project and their various intentions because we started something like this while in school, but a pioneer member defected from the original purpose and got selfish hence the forum is now defunct, so please be careful with the people you get into this project. You may not change Nigeria, but you can inspire the mind that will change Nigeria. I wish you luck and success.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by occam(m): 9:42pm On Aug 10, 2010
@poster
Your drive to change the current political system is commendable. My grouse with you is that you feel people over 25 should be excluded, because in your own words they are too scared of reprisal or have become part of the corrupt machinery that will eventually move our country into obscurity.

I encourage you to read the story of Rosa Parkes, who at 42 started the civil rights movement in the U.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

As well, Mrs Funmi Kuti fought tirelessly for women’s right in Nigeria well past her 30th birthday.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by oyinda3(f): 9:53pm On Aug 10, 2010

you would really need like-minded teens cos can the average teen in the diaspora be interested in all the socio-political dynamics illustrated above?

this was my thought as well.  lipsrsealed why limit it to the "under 18" crowd? do the teenagers have the full capacity to actually understand the content? i'm guessing your trying to start up a magazine or some media outlet of some sort.
i think you should just target it to the "youth." (late teens, twenties and early thirties)
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Redman44(m): 11:13pm On Aug 10, 2010
@moderator, why did you delete my post? Don't you want people to benefit from the advice I've given . Na wa for you o.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Nobody: 1:03am On Aug 11, 2010
chemali:

another springing money-spinning venture in the name of NGO. undecided

na so e dey start.

all those 'NGOs' collecting hard currency from USAID, DFID, Ford foundation, Unicef, etc. . . . what impact have they had on the youths or the masses?? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!
Exactly my thoughts. Never trust "Nigerians" these days when it comes to issue like this, As selfisness abound in the minds of MOST Nigerians, Home or Abroad. As a 23 year old Nigerian abroad, i know what i am talking about, NGOs are selfish people organization which have NO meaningful impact on the masses, shine your eyes, dis omoge get her own hidden agenda $$$$$$$$$$
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by Akosbaba(m): 2:47am On Aug 11, 2010
I think the poster is getting a first hand experience of what the groups will be like,but despite the fact that i'm 19,i don't believe 25 year olds are far gone.
Re: Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora by manny4life(m): 4:57am On Aug 11, 2010
what.lyf:

Exactly my thoughts. Never trust "Nigerians" these days when it comes to issue like this,  As selfisness abound in the minds of MOST Nigerians, Home or Abroad. As a 23 year old Nigerian abroad, i know what i am talking about,  NGOs are selfish people organization which have NO meaningful impact on the masses,  shine your eyes, dis omoge get her own hidden agenda $$$$$$$$$$

For real? Has she asked for donations or otherwise or any form of financial contribution? Don't nail someone to the cross before they are condemned.

I honestly believe that you did have a good idea, yet sincere once thought about same thing, but the truth is the average Nigerian abroad is unlikely to keep up with Nigerian news/event unless it interest them as well as they able to access it quickly and timely. As for the format, think like every 23 yo in abroad does. People living abroad at least in the U.S. are always on the go, and with iPhones, evo, blackberries etc, you can do whatever u want. They wanna get any news/information online not necessarily thru website unless u have feeds and fully socially integrated, magazines are a NO NO, actually magazines are losing out big time now, electronic media is moving in. Emails are not that encouraging either because most often people don't check emails, and with technology with different phones, you can easily filter out email which most likely would end in spam.

I thought about almost same idea like you but a lil different and had I wanted to go further, I wanted to create a website fully integrated with Facebook, and Twitter, however media contents would obviously be in YouTube. The reason I chose this format because of internet accessibility to information, for instance, I'm more likely to respond to your tweet via twitter regarding a topic or drop a message on Facebook via my iPhone while I'm at work than on my computer besides anything thing that has the keyword NIGERIA is blocked. If u wanna go tech further, you can create one or two content apps or game app to test on Nigerian issues, etc. As for Advert, that would not fly because not many Nigerian wanna post, however, should u have a ton of traffic, then yes u sell ad space just like Nairaland does.

Now the question would be if u wanna pull this off, interesting topics should include here's my opinion

- Politics mainly local with a touch of international news concerning Nigeria particular positive ones not negative(I've seen and heard friends and friends of friends say positive enlightenment about their country have positive impact on them like being competitive, critical thinking etc It really engages them, at least I know it does for me)

- Entertainment (my fellow Nigerian love entertainment and their entertainers)

- Fashion styles (some young proud Nigerians most likely need some modern African dress sense) something like dress for the week with a touch of Nigerian style, I mean something appreciable.

- Careers (being that Nigeria is a entrepreneurial marketplace and forefront, you would be surprised to learn how young and desiring minds want to go further into different careers and most wanna be entrepreneurs and successful one at that. Topics like "after graduation, what's next? Nigeria? I mean something creative and eye catching. Many Nigerians wanna go home but lack direction and fore sight, there u come.

- Spirituality (I do think this helps, like sharing daily inspirations)

- General (where people talk random stuff, share experiences, not dirty talk and insults like Nairaland).
For now you can  go with these ones, they just my opinion. I hope I did not say too much.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shaky Shaky, Follow Follow, Yama Yama Etc. . . / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Rulers / Meaning Of "Omuguo"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.