Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? (16058 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / Interracial Children: Which Culture? / Impact On Slavery On Africans And The African Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Jayvarley(m): 11:38am On Jul 25, 2013
I ask this question because in the Caribbean and the USA a lot of black people are not aware of their exact ancestral origins. Where did most slaves come from in Africa?
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 4:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
I don't know which ethnic group figures most prominently in the ancestry of diasporans but looking at what survived spriritually I certainly think the Yorubas had the biggest impact on diaspora culture. From Brazil through the Carribean santeria, candomble, shango, and even a spirituality called "Yoruba." Yoruba traditions managed to survive where others disappeared.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2013
@topic none.
they were all equally influential
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by PAPAAFRICA: 10:44pm On Jul 31, 2013
Yoruba
Eg. Brazil.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Jayvarley(m): 12:19pm On Aug 01, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: Yoruba
Eg. Brazil.

Well definitely as brazil has the most blacks outside of Africa. Where about the West Indies? What about the carnival what cultures do you see present there?
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 01, 2013
Yoruba easily...

2 Likes

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 01, 2013
Jayvarley:

Well definitely as brazil has the most blacks outside of Africa. Where about the West Indies? What about the carnival what cultures do you see present there?

like I said earlier,
all of the people sent to the new world played equal
roles in the formation of who we are and our cultures.
From north America to south.

Anyone who truly knows diaspora black history knows what I am saying is the truth.
If people say the Yoruba are the most influential because of Santeria, then they are
truly ignorant about the kongo area's influence in the new world. if we are going by
what the majority of the black diaspora share in common, then the kongo kingdom rules in influence.

#fact.

Bachata, Salsa, African American dance/krumping, Caribbean dancing, Carnival (dance moves), Merengue, Kumina, SANTERIA <<< (THEY ACTUALLY MIX Yoruba AND Kongo deities), Voodoo/Zumbi, Martial arts (Brazilian); etc ALL have roots DIRECTLY from the bantu ppls of central Africa.

And this goes all the way from north America on down to the south.

But I think its unfair to the other peoples who contributed to our cultures to make this into a competition. So I say ALL.

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 3:36am On Aug 02, 2013
*Kails*:

like I said earlier,
all of the people sent to the new world played equal
roles in the formation of who we are and our cultures.
From north America to south.

Anyone who truly knows diaspora black history knows what I am saying is the truth.
If people say the Yoruba are the most influential because of Santeria, then they are
truly ignorant about the kongo area's influence in the new world. if we are going by
what the majority of the black diaspora share in common, then the kongo kingdom rules in influence.

#fact.

Bachata, Salsa, African American dance/krumping, Caribbean dancing, Carnival (dance moves), Merengue, Kumina, SANTERIA <<< (THEY ACTUALLY MIX Yoruba AND Kongo deities), Voodoo/Zumbi, Martial arts (Brazilian); etc ALL have roots DIRECTLY from the bantu ppls of central Africa.

And this goes all the way from north America on down to the south.

But I think its unfair to the other peoples who contributed to our cultures to make this into a competition. So I say ALL.

You mentioned only Kongo and Yoruba but said all. What about Akan, Senegambian, etc.? If you are going to say all you should provide some proof yes? Yorubas have figured heavily not just through Santeria but also through the other spiritualities I already referenced.
Most of (Haitian) voodoo actually comes directly from Dahomey/Benin.
Krumping? Come now let's not get too crazy here.

3 Likes

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2013
You and whoever liked your post both need to read my post again.

When you understand it then get back to me.
I am more than certain I said ALL of them contributed.
I know dahomy was mostly yoruba. I am not ignorant or daft enough not to know this...i simply said if santeria (which is the exact same thing as spirituality #duh lol) is the reason ppl are saying yoruba were the most influential then that would mean the kongo kingdom was the single most influental since t he y have influenced in so many areas...not just religiously/spiritually.

And yes even krumping. I believe that is what I said.

Do the research if you dont believe me. Lolz

2 Likes

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by MamiWata: 1:45am On Aug 03, 2013
*Kails*:
You and whoever liked your post both need to read my post again.

When you understand it then get back to me.
I am more than certain I said ALL of them contributed.
I know dahomy was mostly yoruba. I am not ignorant or daft enough not to know this...i simply said if santeria (which is the exact same thing as spirituality #duh lol) is the reason ppl are saying yoruba were the most influential then that would mean the kongo kingdom was the single most influental since t he y have influenced in so many areas...not just religiously/spiritually.

And yes even krumping. I believe that is what I said.

Do the research if you dont believe me. Lolz

1. No santeria is not the same thing as spirituality. Santeria is one of 1000's of spirituality practiced around the world. To say santeria is the same as spirituality is equivalent to saying that oil is the same as liquid. You're forgetting the qualifier "a". Santeria is a spirituality just as oil is a liquid.
2. I said vodun comes from Dahomey and somehow you understood that Dahomey was mostly Yoruba. I assert that it is you who needs to reread rather than me.
3. Krumping is a silly ghetto dance created to keep otherwise errant children out of trouble. If you had to reach that far to find a Kongo "influence" then that's very sad.
4. Several of the other items you listed as originating from the Kongo actually have a Yoruba or other West African influence. I think it's you who needs to go back to the drawing board here.

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by somalia11: 2:02am On Aug 03, 2013
Ethiopians as negroids worship them, literally look at the restafarians. Afrocentrism revolves around ethiopia and to a lesser extent other horners like Somalis,Eritreans because of the accomplishments we did historically.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:19am On Aug 03, 2013
MamiWata:

1. No santeria is not the same thing as spirituality. Santeria is one of 1000's of spirituality practiced around the world. To say santeria is the same as spirituality is equivalent to saying that oil is the same as liquid. You're forgetting the qualifier "a". Santeria is a spirituality just as oil is a liquid.

I am not asking you.
I am telling you santeria is all about spirituality.
It wasnt just about using african deities to replace european ones, but rather to dig into who they were as a people and trying to fill that spiritual void that was robbed by the europeans and the africans who sold them into slavery.

2. I said vodun comes from Dahomey and somehow you understood that Dahomey was mostly Yoruba. I assert that it is you who needs to reread rather than me.

What are the ethnic groups that played the largest influence on dahomey again? Oh ok.

Futhermore there was voodoo/"black magic" in central africa too hence my reference to nzumbi (name of a serpent and king) which is well known throughout the caribbean and brazil.

3. Krumping is a silly ghetto dance created to keep otherwise errant children out of trouble. If you had to reach that far to find a Kongo "influence" then that's very sad.

Perhaps because you have no rhythym or cannot do the dance you call it "ghetto" but I assure you crumping was named in california but is far older than the establishment of "american hoods". It is even older than the slave trade. The only thing "sad" is the fact that you do not know this.

4. Several of the other items you listed as originating from the Kongo actually have a Yoruba or other West African influence. I think it's you who needs to go back to the drawing board here.

lol go on ahead and enlighten me. You know more about my history than I do apparently so please do "educate me".

This ought to be very good. grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:25am On Aug 03, 2013
Um...Kails...

Dahomey was a Fon kingdom not Yoruba. Created by the Fon people who settled Benin.

3 Likes

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by somalia11: 2:29am On Aug 03, 2013
Can we all agree Ethiopia has the most influence politically on you negroids.

i dont like ethiopians but i can tell the truth. They have incredible influence on negroids.

1. You negroids who are 40 plus countries on africa of the 53 countries in Africa have placed your headquarters in the capital of Ethiopia.

2. Every black studies course i take i hear the afrocentric professor and students talk about Ethiopia and how it was never colonized.

3. Ethiopia was mentioned in the bible many times

4. Horners, Ethiopia included have the longest recorded history of any subsahran african people

5. In terms of beauty negroids aspire and hold up the look of Ethiopians and horners.

so as a somali i can honestly say that Ethiopians have the most influence on negroids which is funny cause if you lived in their country 100 years ago you guys would be slaves. And they refer to you guys as baria which means slave.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 03, 2013
@kid Ok thanks.
I still want proof that I am misinformed about the kongos influence tho. Since you are cosigning you too can "prove me wrong" with that.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Supper: 3:02am On Aug 03, 2013
Taking a modern, late 20th, 21st century hip-hop dance like Krumping, and trying to find some link to Africa is extremely flawed, just for the fact that the last batch of African slaves enter the US came in 1860. So, to infer that since then it took until the late 1990s for an "African rooted" dance to just appear out of no where in California(and not the American south) no less is ridiculous to say the least. It just chronologically doesn't make much sense. There's a difference between a long chain of dances that contain bits and pieces of stylistic movements that may have African antecedents via many other ancestral dance types right here in America inbetween then, and an actual direct conncetion(or as close as you can pin point). It's like saying that "Rapping" is a descendant the West African griot tradition. It's a misnomer, rapping itself has NO direct connection to any African musical styles or anything close to it. Rapping/hip hop grew directly out of inner city disco and beat peots, which grew out of the urban up tempo blues & R&B genres, which grew out of rural style of rhyming work song and folk tales traditions of African-Americans in the south..... and *THAT* is the closet thing we have in North America to a direct descendant the Upper West African Griot Tradition. So, in a way, you can say that hip hop music has pre-colonial stylistic African antecedants, but there's is not even close to a direct connection with it and any African music styles. Same thing with Krumping.

Any who, if you want to analyze the influece of African styles on African-AMerican dance you're going to want to look at dances that can be traced back the reconstruction, antebellum, and even colonial eras of North America(mostly in what is today the southern states). Spiritual Ring Shouts, Gullah Knocking and Kicking, and Juba Patting/Hambone would probably provide the best, most concrete viewable examples of African-American dances with direct African roots(there are others, though).

I only feel like going in depth on one example so, I'll give you all that of the Hambone dance. Many of you may or may not have already heard of a chest & thigh slapping old country southern dance called the pattin da juba or hambone as it's more commonly called. This dance originated on the plantations of North America from slaves brought from West Africa, it gained popularity after the banishment drums and anything of the sort after the stono rebellion in South Carolina of Angolan slaves who marched south through the forest to Florida, slaughtering any whites they met with on the way, while beating drums. As a 1755 Georgia colonial law decreed - "What ever master or overseer shall permit his slaves, to beat, blow horns or loud instruments shall forfeit 30 shillings Sterling's for every such offence." Other southern states had similar statutes.. So, Pattin da Juba body slapping became the primary way for the slaves to express themselves rhythmically. These body patting movements & techniques are almost stylistically identical to those practiced in certain areas of West Africa.

To provide a visual representation of the Pattin Da Juba dance or Hambone- here's an African-American woman's in house performance of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iQ7VgSivTE8

Now compare that to this performance of a group of Jola girls in Southern Senegal doing a dance they're referring to as "Pat Pat".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=71RyGbKv0vQ
(Need I say more?)

But, to answers the question of the OP, we African-Americans more so than any other group in the African diaspora possess more Upper West African Sahelian/Savannah cultural influence with a heavy Afro-Islamic touch, due to the cotton, rice, and cattle ranching culture as well the land scape of North America.
https://www.nairaland.com/1338418/tell-me-culture-what-common/1#16810266
^^^See my post here where I delve more into that.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:03am On Aug 03, 2013
*Kails*:
@kid Ok thanks.
I still want proof that I am misinformed about the kongos influence tho. Since you are cosigning you too can "prove me wrong" with that.

Heh...? I never doubted Kongo people had less influence on the new world. Weren't they the first enslaved Africans to be taken there I'm not co signing anyone. South American African culture is mainly Kongo. IMO the Caribbean and North America is mainly Yoruba while South America is mainly Kongo

But I think as a whole Yoruba has more influence due to them coming much later.

2 Likes

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 03, 2013
I knew it looooooool!

I so knew it. grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:05am On Aug 03, 2013
@mami wata....u are free to provide your findings and we can discuss this in detail.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by somalia11: 3:05am On Aug 03, 2013
this has turned into an afrocentric thread.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:07am On Aug 03, 2013
Lol...i am so out of here.
I saw what I needed to see.

Good night folks.
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by somalia11: 3:09am On Aug 03, 2013
black unity shid revolves around ethiopia, the most racist anti negroid country.

lets be honest. Look at the nation of islam blacks in america. They dont know shid about islam but they try to do anything to have culture.

these people are clowns, they make everything they touch ghetto

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by PAPAAFRICA: 3:16am On Aug 03, 2013
After reading kails mamiwatas and suppers posts I still think Yoruba. cool
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:17am On Aug 03, 2013
@somalia

Just like Somalis destroy every place they visit.

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by PAPAAFRICA: 3:19am On Aug 03, 2013
strangle, don't communicate with it
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by somalia11: 3:20am On Aug 03, 2013
KidStranglehold: @somalia11

I must agree...The Nation of Islam are a bunch of fool who follow a B*tard version of Islam. They're no different from those radical black Hebrew Israelites.

i dont know why blacks take things and fuckkk it up, if you want to be a muslim go ahead. but dont use islam and say whites are the devil. you should see how muslims see these people. I have met several of these black muslims, and they are fukkking radical. crazy. their like a homeless child.

they come to the somali mosque and try to find a somali wive, when somalis say no, they get upset and talk about how they muslim. grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by somalia11: 3:20am On Aug 03, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: strangle, don't communicate with him

is he your dog? shocked show me the license that you own him. grin
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Supper: 3:24am On Aug 03, 2013
KidStranglehold:

IMO the Caribbean and North America is mainly Yoruba while South America is mainly Kongo

Nah, in North America, IDK about the Caribbean, it's hands down Upper West African Sahelians/Sudanic/Savannah influence that has had the most impact, followed by Central Africa Kongolese/Angolan, then maybe a draw between that of the Yoruba and Rice Coast cultures(Sierra Leonean & Liberian). Make no mistake that any Africa cultural cluster group that had a significant presence in North America contributed at least some to African-American/American culture, but just that certain groups or regions contributed more than others.

^^^I touch specifically on the music here, but I could go in depth on cuisine, spirituality/religion, agriculture, and even architecture as well.

2 Likes

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:29am On Aug 03, 2013
somalia11:

i dont know why blacks take things and fuckkk it up, if you want to be a muslim go ahead. but dont use islam and say whites are the devil. you should see how muslims see these people. I have met several of these black muslims, and they are fukkking radical. crazy. their like a homeless child.

they come to the somali mosque and try to find a somali wive, when somalis say no, they get upset and talk about how they muslim. grin

I can't disagree with this. I dislike Islam. But the NOI gives Islam an even bad name. "The Nation of Islam" is a misnomer; this religion should be called Farrakhanism, after the name of its propagator. They don't even follow mainstream Islamic belief! Which is why Malcolm X left and they killed them for that. angry angry angry

I see those Nation of Islam people no different from those Aryan Brotherhood people.

IMO...If I chose to become a Muslim(which will never happen). I would chose to follow the traditions of those muslim Africans of the Sahel. I mean their muslim traditions encouraged education and gave rise to many successful empires. And not only that their islam is much more peaceful and less violent.

Do these muslim Fulanis look like a threat or violent? No they look peaceful.

Meanwhile these middle eastern muslims look like terrorist about to plan something!!! grin grin grin
[img]http://4.bp..com/_gnm2C1B8vbI/TU563Ftb-KI/AAAAAAAAFTM/7eluV7tQB30/s320/burqa.jpg[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Nobody: 3:31am On Aug 03, 2013
Supper:

Nah, in North America, IDK about the Caribbean, it's hands down Upper West African Sahelians/Sudanic/Savannah influence that has had the most impact, followed by Central Africa Kongolese/Angolan, then maybe a draw between that of the Yoruba and Rice Coast cultures(Sierra Leonean & Liberian). Make no mistake that any Africa cultural cluster group that had a significant presence in North America contributed at least some to African-American/American culture, but just that certain groups or regions contributed more than others.

^^^I touch specifically on the music here, but I could go in depth on cuisine, spirituality/religion, agriculture, and even architecture as well.

Interesting.

So AA's are mainly of Saghalien origin?
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Supper: 3:53am On Aug 03, 2013
The french Company of the Indies(primarily a colonial and slave trading firm), had monopoly over the colony of Louisiana and also the slave trade of the Senegambian region, with their Fort St. Louis headquarters of the Company of the Indies in Africa, being located in modern day Northern Senegal. This created the slave trading Senegal-Louisiana concessions of the 18th and 19th century, which was the primary reason two-thirds of the slaves brought to Louisiana came through the Senegambian region.

And speaking of the Fulani. Here's a video showcasing some documented famous ethnic Fulani people in America(or what is now the US).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC2124XhYsg

An old unique blues style in the Northern Mississippi hill country called Northern Mississippi Fife and Drum blues, is an offshoot of Fulani Flute and drum music. In fact, the physical construction of the blues fife played in Northern MS is based on an old African model brought over by the transatlantic slave trade. The construction process mimics that of the of Fula flute. A musician typically cuts a piece of cane about a foot inlength, then a heated iron rod is used to bore out the cane, and finally the same rod isused to make the fingering and embouchure holes of the fife. No formal measure of spacing either between the embouchure hole and the fingering holes or between each of the fingering holes is used. Instead, the musicians use their hands as guides forconstruction, resulting in instruments that have slightly individualized scales, none of which are based on a classical Western model.
http://www.academia.edu/922424/_Stuff_You_Gotta_Watch_The_Effect_of_Anglo-American_Scholarship_on_North_Mississippi_Blues_Fife_and_Drum

Otha Turner construting his Blues Fife
[img]http://www.uncpress.unc.edu/poorheartease/images/pictures/canefife.jpg[/img]

Fula Flute

Mississippi Fife and Drum Blues Band - 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNqrZUWBXxs
(@ 1:16)

Fulani Flute and Drum Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xEcDHYFo1Q
Re: Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? by Supper: 3:58am On Aug 03, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Interesting.

So AA's are mainly of Saghalien origin?

Well, I wouldn't say "mainly" as in most(>%50), but largely, as in more than from any other region in Africa and more than that of any other group in the African diaspora.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Tribe Do You Like Best And Why? / How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.