Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Why You Can Lose Your Salvation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why You Can Lose Your Salvation (322 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: If You Are Afraid Of Death At 70, Check Your Salvation / If You Believe You Can Lose Your Salvation, Then You Have Called God A Liar / Bishop Oyedepo: "A Christian Can Lose His Salvation" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 4:01pm On Jan 06, 2019
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the , and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied. Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not . (Jude 1-5)

“But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” 1 Corinthians 9:27

“They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him….. ” Titus 1:16a

“……If we deny him , he also will deny us: ”
2Timothy 2:12b

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; ” Titus 2:11 -12

“Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. ” Revelations 2:4-5

“Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: FOR IF YE DO THESE THINGS, ye shall never fall:” 2Peter 1:10

“He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.”
Revelations 3:5

“…..but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” Matthew 10:22b .
==========================================================================

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 4:02pm On Jan 06, 2019
OSAS IS ONCE SAVED FOREVER SAVED

Why Bother About OSAS?

You have probably heard of the teaching about “Eternal Security”, a.k.a. “Once Saved, Always Saved” (OSAS). Chances are you probably don’t think it is worth splitting hairs over. The Apostle Jude (Jude 1:1-5) however obviously encourages otherwise.

OSAS is the belief that once a man is born again, he can never lose his salvation, irrespective of what he later does or fails/refuses to do. The reasoning is that since man did not do anything to get saved (it is of course true that salvation is entirely by grace), it also follows that he should not need to do anything to keep his salvation. The parable of the wedding garment in Mathew 22:2-13 however debunks this outright. The fellow who initially got a free undeserved invitation to the Wedding later ended up in outer darkness for failing to show appreciation for the invitation by observing the expected simple dress code.

Another little extension takes the OSAS argument much further, from “not doing” to “doing”: nothing a believer DOES (not even the filthiest, most despicable action imaginable) can make him lose his salvation! After all, using the analogy of the physical birth, can a baby become “unborn” simply because of his wrong and unhelpful doings? How can a “new creation” then ever go back to becoming “old” again! The fallacy with this analogy is that it fails to recognize that salvation at this point in time is still an on-going process. The new birth saves us from the power of sin, but not yet from its presence (called temptation). We must ensure we continue to believe Him Who has saved us, and continue to follow Him, resisting all temptations hauled at us by the enemy of our soul, until we eventually reach eternity. At that point outside of time, our salvation would become consummated and totally irreversible (1 Peter 1:3-5, Revelations 3:5).

OSAS comes with special in-built mechanisms and camouflages to make the Church continue to wave it aside as trivial. On the one hand, most OSAS teachers are quick to shout themselves hoarse that even though their teachings clearly make sin a non-issue, they actually do not support living in sin. Of course, that unrealistic assertion is not borne out by evidences that clearly abound! For instance, the Southern Baptist Convention in the United States, one of the major purveyors of OSAS, recently (at their 2010 convention in Florida) had to admit “a scandal that has become all too commonplace in our own churches”. That scandal was higher incidence of adultery and divorce within the denomination compared with the “unchurched” they were trying to evangelize! Unfortunately, it didn’t occur to them that the situation might be related with their embrace of the doctrine of OSAS (see http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/1205/on-the-scandal-of-southern-baptist-divorce).

Then there is also the infamous caveat that goes with OSAS. Anyone who for some unfathomable reason loses his/her salvation (for example, Judas Iscariot) is readily denounced as never really having been “saved” to start with! As such, many in the Body of Christ tend to, even if subconsciously, dismiss the doctrine as merely a juvenile theoretical model for describing salvation. Probably unhelpful, but not worth spilling hairs over!

Unfortunately, the issue is quite more serious than that.
Two major problems have traditionally been associated with the OSAS doctrine, over the 700 years plus since it was brought to the fore in the medieval church. One is the implication for evangelism and discipleship. By traditional Calvinistic teachings, those who are earmarked for salvation would eventually be saved, while those destined for hell fire can do nothing to change the outcome. Under this scenario, the value of evangelism becomes questionable.

Most OSAS teachers would however, vehemently protest being called Calvinists and declare their commitment to evangelism. However, the teaching of “once saved, for ever saved” clearly makes Christian discipline and discipleship redundant. As will be shown shortly, OSAS has zero tolerance for such admonitions that believers should “take heed, watch, and pray” (Mark 13:33), live sober and vigilant lives (1 Peter 5:cool, walk not carnally, but in the spirit, (Galatians 5:16, Romans 8:1), etc. Not bothering to walk worthy of the vocation wherein we have been called (Ephesians 2:10, 4:1) is the sure first step to becoming blinded (2 Peter 1: 9) to the invaluable worth of our salvation, and consequently rendering ourselves no better than pigs unworthy of such pearls, in the first instance (Mathew 7:6, 10:13).

Clearly, OSAS is a great evil that must be fought!
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 4:09pm On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 4:15pm On Jan 06, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Daviddson(m): 4:26pm On Jan 06, 2019
May God deliver all us from all the false prophets here in Nairaland, in the persons of alBaghdadi, MrPresident1, etc whose mission is to lead people astray like they've been led astray. Amen. cool
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 4:31pm On Jan 06, 2019
Why didn't the guy in Mathew 22 wear a wedding garment? He didn't because he didn't really believe a wedding was going to take place. Those that believes wore the garment as instructed, but the guy didn't because he thought it was all a joke. Now, emphasizing on garment as per for salvation is the same as saying one can save himself as long as he wears the garment which he must have bought with his money, his work. The Bible says works doesn't save but grace which we have to believe in.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9bNot of works, lest any man should boast.
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 4:33pm On Jan 06, 2019
Daviddson:
May God deliver all us from all the false prophets here in Nairaland, in the persons of alBaghdadi, MrPresident1, etc whose mission is to lead people astray like they've been led astray. Amen. cool

The OP has talked from A-Z with little Bible verses to back his believe up. He's just regurgitating what he's been deceived with.
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 5:43pm On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Why didn't the guy in Mathew 22 wear a wedding garment? He didn't because he didn't really believe a wedding was going to take place. Those that believes wore the garment as instructed, but the guy didn't because he thought it was all a joke. Now, emphasizing on garment as per for salvation is the same as saying one can save himself as long as he wears the garment which he must have bought with his money, his work. The Bible says works doesn't save but grace which we have to believe in.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9bNot of works, lest any man should boast.

Sir, let's meet on WhatsApp (09094619984)

The Ephesians 2:8-9 was clear. Our works can't save us and that was talking about self righteousness. In Phil 2:12, we need to work it out which means sanctification. There can be no glorification without sanctification.

And sir, the wedding garment issue. Remember that we have a garment as we can see in Revelations. There is a garment which we must wear to the wedding. This garment is not for anyone to buy or whatever, it is a working out of the realities.

Your argument makes me think you're just being funny and you know the truth. What an explanation from the flesh!

Sir, go back to Jesus and let Him lead you!

1 Like

Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 5:46pm On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The OP has talked from A-Z with little Bible verses to back his believe up. He's just regurgitating what he's been deceived with.
Sir, i will not have to keep typing and typing because i am not here for arguments as you're potraying your mission. I have passed my message and only need you to let's meet on WhatsApp.

The funny thing about you guys is you believe that you know a lot of scriptures meanwhile you've turned them all up side down.

If you don't repent, hummmmm

1 Like

Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 06, 2019
Hardeysolution:
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the , and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied. Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not . (Jude 1-5)

“But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” 1 Corinthians 9:27

“They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him….. ” Titus 1:16a

“……If we deny him , he also will deny us: ”
2Timothy 2:12b

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; ” Titus 2:11 -12

“Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. ” Revelations 2:4-5

“Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: FOR IF YE DO THESE THINGS, ye shall never fall:” 2Peter 1:10

“He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.”
Revelations 3:5

“…..but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” Matthew 10:22b .
==========================================================================
eternal security is true because God preserves the believer through his word and his Spirit in the believer.
If at all it is possible for a believer to lose his salvation it is if he cut himself from Christ or deny Christ in that case such was never a true believer.

The work of a such a one is what proves that such a one has denied christ.

If a profess Christian continues living in sin, it is a sign that he or she was not saved in the first place so when a man is saved he will not lose his salvation.
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by Hardeysolution(m): 7:12pm On Jan 06, 2019
solite3:
eternal security is true because God preserves the believer through his word and his Spirit in the believer.
If at all it is possible for a believer to lose his salvation it is if he cut himself from Christ or deny Christ in that case such was never a true believer.

If a profess Christian continues living in sin, it is a sign that he or she was not saved in the first place so when a man is saved he will not lose his salvation.

Don't mistake eternal security with assurance of salvation
Re: Why You Can Lose Your Salvation by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:38pm On Jan 06, 2019
solite3:

You've said it all brother! I have always maintain that those who truly belong to Jesus will not continue in sin. Anyone who still make sin a practise have neither seen him, nor knows him. They might even be in the Church, among the saved.

The scripture teaches that we are dead to sin. How shall the dead live anymore in sin?

(1) (Reply)

Massacre At Beziers / Nigeria Christian Dating Site - Agape Christian Singles Just Launched! / How Could Buhari Allegedly Execute His Jihadist Agenda With Mfm Rccg And Anglica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.