Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,648 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. (4108 Views)

Asaba Traditionalists Curse Those Sending Money From Abroad To Fuel Cult War / The End Of Mankind / 10 Disturbing Illustrations That Perfectly Depict The Sad Truth Of Mankind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by Olu317(m): 9:17am On Nov 24, 2019
Looking at some of the shared lexicons between Middle East and Yoruba such word as alujonu or anijonu and jinn in Yoruba lexicon and their place of origin both in Middle East and Yoruba land.

Alujonu or anjonu is a word within Yoruba lexicon and non Yoruba, such as Muslims in Nigeria etc, which is used for a supernatural creature. This word is interchangeable for a superhuman with mystical power in Yoruba language.

However, a close cognate of this word is found among the Middles East, which is called jinn. Interestingly, The English version is known as genie. There is a belief that genies has roots in Mesopotamian legends. Genies (or jinn, as they are better known in the Arabic world).

Jinn is an Arabic collective noun deriving from the Semitic root JNN (Arabic: جَنّ / جُنّ‎, jann), whose primary meaning is "to hide" or "to conceal". Some authors interpret the word to mean, literally, "beings that are concealed from the senses". Cognates include the Arabic majnūn ("possessed", or generally "insane"wink, jannah ("garden", also “heaven”), and janīn ("embryo"wink. Jinn is properly treated as a plural, with the singular being jinnī.

The origin of the word Jinn amongst scholars remain uncertain. Some scholars relate the Arabic term jinn to the Latin genius, as a result of syncretism during the reign of the Roman empire under Tiberius Augustus, but this derivation is also disputed. Another suggestion holds that jinn may be derived from Aramaic "ginnaya" (Classical Syriac: with the meaning of "tutelary deity",or also "garden". Others claim a Persian origin of the word, in the form of the Avestic "Jaini", a wicked (female) spirit. Jaini were among various creatures in the possibly even pre-Zoroastrian mythology of peoples of Iran.
Jinn were worshipped by many Arabs during the Pre-Islamic period, but, unlike gods, jinn were not regarded as immortal. In ancient Arabia, the term jinn also applied to all kinds of supernatural entities among various religions and cults; thus, Zoroastrian, Christian, and Jewish angels and demons were also called "jinn".

Sūrat al-Jinn (Arabic: سورة الجن‎, “The Jinn”) is the seventy-second chapter of the Quran with 28 verses. The name as well as the topic of this chapter is jinn. Similar to angels, the Jinn are spiritual beings invisible to the naked human eye. In the Quran, it is stated that humans are created from the earth and jinn from smokeless fire in more than one instance.

Ajan of yoruba and Jann of Semitic origin:

Ajan
Ajan is a supernatural creature among the Yoruba.This Ajan is controlled by the owner, who is a mystical human being that use the knowledge of the Ajan to achieve his endeavor.

Jann (Arabic: جان‎, jann) is a type of Jinn in Arabian- and Islam-related lore which has several meanings: Designation for the Jinn-genus, to distinguish them from the term "Jinn" as a collective noun for all supernatural creatures.The father of all Jinn created from the fires of samum,sometimes identified with Iblis or Azazel.A primitive type of Jinn, which dwelled on earth before the actual Jinn emerged or a transformed type of Jinn, comparable how apes are related to humans. These Jann are regarded as the most harmless class of supernatural creatures.

1 Like

Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by MetaPhysical: 11:05pm On Dec 29, 2019
ImperialYoruba:
So I continue with the exercise of tying Yoruba and Arab together as one consistent link of culture separated by civilization, one the originator, the other a successor.

There are two prominent markers for Arabs.

1. The pre-Islamic deity worshipers in the North.

2- the post-Islamic dynasties in the South.

The pre-Islamic was identified as Koreish, also called Quraysh or Quraishi or Koreishi.

The second, that of dynasties is identified as Qahtan and tribes of Adramit (Hadramaut) and their settlement of Oman and the Hijaz. I will discuss these people when I get to talk about Ado and Adimu and all that.

For now lets inspect KOREISH.
This is a marker for those known as a people that greet or reverence or give obeisance to ORISHA.

Ki orisha
Ki oreish
K'oreish
Koreish

The Koreish occupied and controlled Mecca. The Koreish were descended from the lineage of Kinana, the same lineage which Sultan Bello and Ahmed Baba recorded when they described Yoruba as Banu Kanaana, the tribe of Nimrud.

Progenitor of Koreish was Adnan, son of Ad.

The Koreish controlled Mecca and vicinity, Kaaba included. Inside the Kaaba they had an altar and also carved images symbolizing their deities (Orishas). To these images they will prostrate and give greetings and offerings to the Orishas who they will beg to intercede on their behalf before Almighty God, the one and only. The images served only as physical object to focus the service and meaning for their faith in the unseen and invincible Orishas. These carved images were called SIGIDI. This is already explained by metaphysical in one of the quotes from him on this thread.

When Koreish prostrate he will touch his forehead to the ground and implore his Orisha to bring him divine goodies and give him salvation and success in his material posessions and in afterlife.

This act of prostration exist in Yoruba culture as well. The Yoruba always has a altar in his household or in a shrine. The first act of the day is Ibori. He prostrates infront of his sigidi and pray to Orisha for his survival overnight, for his daily bread, for his family and material posession and then for his return home in safety and wellness. This prostration Yoruba call ISOJUDE.

A new world order then arrived and disrupted the normal and mainstream culture in Mecca. That new order was Islam. It came through Prophet Muhammad (saws).

Muhammad himself was a son of Koreish. He grew up in the ways and traditions of those who prostrate to Orisha. His practice in divine glory, through greetings and offerings to deities served as a conduit through which his consciousness opened and able to receive holy inspirations when Angel Gabriel or Jubril appeared to him. He became an awakener for his own people and a leader throughout the whole world. May his soul rest in everlasting peace, Amin!

He set many pillars around the practice of the faith. One of them is daily prayer for his followers, Muslims.

A muslim will first perform ablution to enter a state of cleanliness.

He will then stand facing Kaaba, the sacred Temple.

Next he will begin with an intent to clear his mind.

He will then say Allahu Akbar.
Metaphysical explained this. He said this means God is the Greatest. He then gives its Yoruba cognate to be Olorun Al' Agbara.

He recites Fatiha (1st chapter of Quran) followed by another chapter and then bow over with hands placed on the knees. Muslims call this position Rukuuh.
Metaphysical explains its Yoruba cognate as Orukun, which in the language refers to knee.

The muslim will come out of the bow position and stand upright, then immediately go into prostration and touch his head to the ground. Muslims call this Sujuud.
Metaphysical explains this is Yoruba position for Isojude.

So it appears that certain aspects of muslim rites of prayer took origin from the practices in Kaaba where the Koreishi submit himself in prostration to greet and honor his Orisha. In fact the positions in those prayers coincide with similar positions observed by Yoruba when he goes before his altar to greet his Orisha. In addition, the muslim lexicon in the rite of prayer are cognates in Yoruba descriptive words for body parts employed or engaged in that respective action.

The Koreish were Aborisha like the Yorubas. They would enter Kaaba and give offerings on Wednesday. That's how IRUBO (ARBA) became a day of reckoning on their calendar just like it did for Yorubas Wednesday called IRUBO (Ojo Ru).

Yoruba and Koreish shared culture but were separated by civilizations.

When we talk of borrowed words, Arabic borrowed from Yoruba.
I will show this more clearly when we do name attributes. That would come after discussion on Ado.

I call this tying the knot.
A powerful delivery!

Looking back, I notice if I substitute in Allahu Akbar, remove the k and put g with an end vowel, I have Allahu Agbara....just like saying Alagbara!

This makes me want to examine if individual Yoruba Oriki names are actually attributes of divine powers like for instance Orisha.

Alabi
Alani
Alake
Alamu
Alade
Alao
...and so on.

If I can trace these names to divine attributes, it will hold true as well for others such as....

Abebi
Abeni
Aduni
Aduke
Adufe
Akani
Akanmu
Ayinla
...and so on.
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by ImperialYoruba: 7:36pm On Jan 24, 2021
Olu317:
Shocking to note that imperialYoruba was banned for six months. Any way, I hope these moderators will be fair to all,irrespective of ethnic background or opinion.

My brother, Happy New Year o!
Shortly after my return from that 6 months ban they banned me again for over a year. It was so long I wasn't even aware when the ban lapsed.
Na this Ibarapa matter made me check my login and I found ban expired. Nairaland is worse than SARS. Awon were.
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by ImperialYoruba: 7:39pm On Jan 24, 2021
MetaPhysical:

I call this tying the knot.
A powerful delivery!

Looking back, I notice if I substitute in Allahu Akbar, remove the k and put g with an end vowel, I have Allahu Agbara....just like saying Alagbara!

This makes me want to examine if individual Yoruba Oriki names are actually attributes of divine powers like for instance Orisha.

Alabi
Alani
Alake
Alamu
Alade
Alao
...and so on.

If I can trace these names to divine attributes, it will hold true as well for others such as....

Abebi
Abeni
Aduni
Aduke
Adufe
Akani
Akanmu
Ayinla
...and so on.

grin na wah for you Oga mi, see as you dey put pressure and stress on my brain. My medulla oblongata is overloaded at moment, I can't think along this line at moment.
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by haffaze777(m): 7:47pm On Jan 24, 2021
ImperialYoruba:

Shortly after my return from that 6 months ban they banned me again for over a year. It was so long I wasn't even aware when the ban lapsed.
Na this Ibarapa matter made me check my login and I found ban expired. Nairaland is worse than SARS. Awon were.

Welcome back bro
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by ImperialYoruba: 7:48pm On Jan 24, 2021
Olu317:
Looking at some of the shared lexicons between Middle East and Yoruba such word as alujonu or anijonu and jinn in Yoruba lexicon and their place of origin both in Middle East and Yoruba land.

Alujonu or anjonu is a word within Yoruba lexicon and non Yoruba, such as Muslims in Nigeria etc, which is used for a supernatural creature. This word is interchangeable for a superhuman with mystical power in Yoruba language.

However, a close cognate of this word is found among the Middles East, which is called jinn. Interestingly, The English version is known as genie. There is a belief that genies has roots in Mesopotamian legends. Genies (or jinn, as they are better known in the Arabic world).

Jinn is an Arabic collective noun deriving from the Semitic root JNN (Arabic: جَنّ / جُنّ‎, jann), whose primary meaning is "to hide" or "to conceal". Some authors interpret the word to mean, literally, "beings that are concealed from the senses". Cognates include the Arabic majnūn ("possessed", or generally "insane"wink, jannah ("garden", also “heaven”), and janīn ("embryo"wink. Jinn is properly treated as a plural, with the singular being jinnī.

The origin of the word Jinn amongst scholars remain uncertain. Some scholars relate the Arabic term jinn to the Latin genius, as a result of syncretism during the reign of the Roman empire under Tiberius Augustus, but this derivation is also disputed. Another suggestion holds that jinn may be derived from Aramaic "ginnaya" (Classical Syriac: with the meaning of "tutelary deity",or also "garden". Others claim a Persian origin of the word, in the form of the Avestic "Jaini", a wicked (female) spirit. Jaini were among various creatures in the possibly even pre-Zoroastrian mythology of peoples of Iran.
Jinn were worshipped by many Arabs during the Pre-Islamic period, but, unlike gods, jinn were not regarded as immortal. In ancient Arabia, the term jinn also applied to all kinds of supernatural entities among various religions and cults; thus, Zoroastrian, Christian, and Jewish angels and demons were also called "jinn".

Sūrat al-Jinn (Arabic: سورة الجن‎, “The Jinn”) is the seventy-second chapter of the Quran with 28 verses. The name as well as the topic of this chapter is jinn. Similar to angels, the Jinn are spiritual beings invisible to the naked human eye. In the Quran, it is stated that humans are created from the earth and jinn from smokeless fire in more than one instance.

Ajan of yoruba and Jann of Semitic origin:

Ajan
Ajan is a supernatural creature among the Yoruba.This Ajan is controlled by the owner, who is a mystical human being that use the knowledge of the Ajan to achieve his endeavor.

Jann (Arabic: جان‎, jann) is a type of Jinn in Arabian- and Islam-related lore which has several meanings: Designation for the Jinn-genus, to distinguish them from the term "Jinn" as a collective noun for all supernatural creatures.The father of all Jinn created from the fires of samum,sometimes identified with Iblis or Azazel.A primitive type of Jinn, which dwelled on earth before the actual Jinn emerged or a transformed type of Jinn, comparable how apes are related to humans. These Jann are regarded as the most harmless class of supernatural creatures.

Hmmm...quite interesting. Could "A j e (sorcerer) be related with A j a n & A l u j o n u?
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by ImperialYoruba: 7:49pm On Jan 24, 2021
haffaze777:

Welcome back bro
Thank you my brother.
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by Olu317(m): 8:27pm On Jan 25, 2021
ImperialYoruba:

Hmmm...quite interesting. Could "A j e (sorcerer) be related with A j a n & A l u j o n u?
Umghhh! Ájẹẹ́( euphemism )can be considered to be cognate to the word Áján (jinn) but a drift away from it. This word is associated with feeding or eat. And subsequently substituted for ọbọ̀(familiar spirit),which covers up for the personality of witchery, or sorcery.

Interestingly, Áján has a unification of balance of positive and negative force that can be activated within these spiritualbeings,which are likened to Me-álè-ká / Me-élè-ká(speaking spirit of mighty God ),but the latter differs because of the one who controls them.

Meanwhile, Ìmọ̀lẹ / Ìmàlẹ are the intermediaries between man and God. While Me-álè-ká / Me-élè-ká(speaking spirit of mighty God) are the intermediaries between God and man, incorporated in Ifaodu.
Re: R--B--. A Cult Of The Sustainer, The Nourisher Of Mankind. by Olu317(m): 8:35pm On Jan 25, 2021
ImperialYoruba:

Same here. May almighty God favours you and the rest of us. Meanwhile, I expect Seun Oshewa, to do something about unnecessary ban because, it drives away good content writers and uptodate informants,irrespective, how it goes down or not with opponents.

I hope, he will look into these issues and find lasting solution to unwarranted ban.Perhaps, monikers can be warned,call to order and ban if such personality refuse to heed to advise for a short period of time. So, as to make the platform more civil and encourage intellectuals posit......

Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife’s Estranged Wife, Queen Naomi Reacts To His Fourth / Beautiful Yoruba Wedding: Lara Odumosu & Alexander Adegboyega Adegbenro / Is Juju Really Real If We Can Explain How "Touch And Follow" Juju Works?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.