Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,398 members, 7,822,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) (27463 Views)

Nigerians Are Tearing Daily Trust Newspaper Apart Over This (photo) / Fani-kayode Demands N6bn And An Apology From Daily Trust Newspaper / Atiku Vs Buhari: Daily Trust Newspaper Opinion Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Reference(m): 7:46am On Jan 07, 2019
Truflame:
Even in America where freedom of speech is allowed, if you leak classified information, you risk a possible jail term.

Give me one, just one example where a media house was invaded and journalists or publishers arrested anywhere in the civilised world. Mark you the west has been fighting terror far longer than Nigeria.

American troops for example have been in Iraq and Afghanistan for over 20 years and three regimes, thousands of casualties, billions of dollars spent, plenty successes and failures in equal measure amd ALL reported.

Every American citizen knows the exact number of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines that have died in battle down to the graves where they are buried both in the battlefield and in Arlington. Do you know even know how many troops Nigeria has in Bornu, thoughtless of those who die everyday. Do you even care to know. Yet you are quick to support those who suppress information and cover up their inadequacies, military failings and corruption under the guise of demoralisation and anti-propaganda.

Shame on you folks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by UncleJudax(m): 7:46am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

You are clearly bereft of normal reasoning capabilities.

National security is the sole responsibility of the President and he has the right to take unilateral decisions in this regard.

In USA the FBI and CIA often act outside the boundaries of the rule of law for the sake of the national security.

Its like you saying, Shekau as a person deserves bail when caught so if the courts grant him bail, it must be honoured in the name of rule of law.

Or you saying Osama Bin Laden should have been captured and not killed because he has the right to live under the rule of law.

Think right so you can talk right
We have seen the results of Buhari presidency. There have been more division, killings, violence, and harassment of everyone.
In essence his suspension of the constitution (that's what it is) is not working.

Buhari on his own is unfit for anything in the first place. All these measures are to dissuade criticism.

The instances you sighted are laughable at best. US will never negotiate and pay a terrorist group in its territory. It is not illegal for the US to kill a non-US citizen (terrorist) outside of its shores. Heck the laws even pardon the killing of US citizen involved in terrorism.

Buhari has been releasing Boko Haram suspects since 2015. Have paid ramsons...etc
Carry your sycophancy go Bello house or something

Like I said, Buhari, just like Abacha will be out someday.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 7:48am On Jan 07, 2019
sinkhole:
They did not just arrest persons, they invaded and sealed off their HQ, and their offices in Lagos and Maiduguri. Besides, did they get any court order for the arrests? I guess NO

Sealing it off is a welcome development. There is a hierarchy of authority in the said news media and their editors or even the CEO should know that certain classified information isn't for public consumption. So all of them should feel the brunt after all, they all released the classified information from Lagos to Maiduguri.

You don't need a court order to effect arrests. Even you a common citizen can carry out a citizens arrest without a court order when you see a clear breach of the law being carried out.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 07, 2019
wisdomkid:
Lol.. They released Amaechi tape and all of a sudden, they're giving BOKO boys notice.. cheesy grin
Naija
Am sure u didn't read the news of the army planning to invade Boko Haram.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Xfuzzy(m): 7:54am On Jan 07, 2019
Serves them right. Matters of National security are of utmost importance in any democratic settings, it far outweighs the Rule of Law, when push comes to shove, it's the life of Nigerians that matters in the end. You can't trade the life of your fellow country men in the face of National Crisis/Terrorism all in the name of Freedom of Speech. I hope Daily Trust as well as other news outlet companies learns from this and do their job well..

Shalom!!
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by kokomilala(m): 7:54am On Jan 07, 2019
Echoes from 1983,that season of national fear. This man never changed.Nigerians only didn't learn from history.
Dictators always loathe press freedom and would do anything to gag it.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by sinkhole: 7:54am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

Sealing it off is a welcome development. There is a hierarchy of authority in the said news media and their editors or even the CEO should know that certain classified information isn't for public consumption. So all of them should feel the brunt after all, they all released the classified information from Lagos to Maiduguri.

You don't need a court order to effect arrests. Even you a common citizen can carry out a citizens arrest without a court order when you see a clear breach of the law being carried out.
The Army's method is a Gestapo's approach and in democracy I can assure you that DailyTrust is the one that will win at the end of the day both on the people's side and the law's side.
Mind you, DailyTrust has already gotten people's sympathy and the Presidency has already ordered the vacation of the DailyTrust premises and if the Army comes out with anything now, nobody will believe them again! The Army is already known for being heavy-handed in dealing with issues
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 7:55am On Jan 07, 2019
UncleJudax:

We have seen the results of Buhari presidency. There have been more division, killings, violence, and harassment of everyone.
In essence his suspension of the constitution (that's what it is) is not working.

Buhari on his own is unfit for anything in the first place. All these measures are to dissuade criticism.

The instances you sighted are laughable at best. US will never negotiate and pay a terrorist group in its territory. It is not illegal for the US to kill a non-US citizen (terrorist) outside of its shores. Heck the laws even pardon the killing of US citizen involved in terrorism.

Buhari has been releasing Boko Haram suspects since 2015. Have paid ramsons...etc
Carry your sycophancy go Bello house or something

Like I said, Buhari, just like Abacha will be out someday.

I drop all you said at the doorstep of PDP the desperate opposition party who were once the ruling party and now want to return to power by hook or crook.

Buhari releases the terrorists for REHABILITATION especially since many were brainwashed into joining in the first place same way Niger delta militants were also brainwashed into becoming gun wielding, pipe line vandalising people.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by YoungLionken(m): 7:56am On Jan 07, 2019
Zanotee:

A whole Director of Army Public Relations doesn't know the difference between "Advise and Advice".

Bros, no officer, minister, APCheat politicians and supporters is intelligent under Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 7:56am On Jan 07, 2019
sinkhole:
The Army's method is a Gestapo's approach and in democracy I can assure you that DailyTrust is the one that will win at the end of the day both on the people's side and the law's side.
Mind you, DailyTrust has already gotten people's sympathy and the Presidency has already ordered the vacation of the DailyTrust premises and if the Army comes out with anything now, nobody will believe them again! The Army is already known for being heavy-handed in dealing with issues

The law does not recognize sympathy. The law is the law and there are laid down judgements and sentences recommended for every offence regardless of public sympathy.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Baselm: 7:56am On Jan 07, 2019
MSRA:

The 'official secrets act' is that in the Nigerian Constitution?

According to Vanguard Newspapers:

Enacted on September 1962, the Official Secret Act provides for the protection of official information.

The act specifically provides for the protection of sensitive official information, among others.

The act provides that any person charged with an offence under the foregoing subsection shall, unless the contrary is proved, be deemed to have acted for a purpose prejudicial to the security of Nigeria.

Still from the Vanguard Newspapers:

On the other hand, Freedom of Information Act, passed into law in 2011 provides for free access of public information to the citizen. The act also provides for the protection of personal privacy, protection of serving public officers from adverse consequences of disclosing certain kinds of official information without authorisation and establishes procedures for the achievement of those purposes and; for related matters.

And according to lawyers:
The official Secret Act by implication is dead with the enactment of the Freedom of Information Act. By implication, any law that runs contrary to a latter law is null and void.

So quite apart from the fact that the Nigerian Army are not supposed to be making any civilian arrests, nor should they be attacking press houses, the very bastions of our democracy, they are actually acting in illegality by hiding under an act enacted two years after the founding of Nigeria.

This is a new low for the Nigerian Army

Don't u think, if what the army alleges is true, then daily Trust actually faulted the part of the freedom of information act that states " The act also provides for the protection of personal privacy, protection of serving public officers from adverse consequences of disclosing certain kinds of official information without authorisation and establishes procedures for the achievement of those purposes and; for related matters. "

the said information exposes Nigerian Army personnel to adverse consequences.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by jrusky(m): 7:57am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

You already know the recipient of the leaked info. Get the recipient and you easily get the source. Simple as ABC

Good but despite your statement the commando style they used doesn't worth it because it's a democracy era bro.

I'm not against it to arrest someone leaking such information but in a bit more professional way and the real culprit will be appended within few hours.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by UncleJudax(m): 7:57am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

I drop all you said at the doorstep of PDP the desperate opposition party who were once the ruling party and now want to return to power by hook or crook.

Buhari releases the terrorists for REHABILITATION especially since many were brainwashed into joining in the first place same way Niger delta militants were also brainwashed into becoming gun wielding, pipe line vandalising people.
Oh now I get it. You are a buharideen. Of cos there is an excuse for all Buharis excesses.

There is life After buhari.

Ok bye
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 7:59am On Jan 07, 2019
UncleJudax:

Oh now I get it. You are a buharideen. Of cos there is an excuse for all Buharis excesses.

Ok bye

And you are an Atikurideen. There is always some myopic nonsensical approach to legit issues from you lot especially when it affects the FG you so loathe.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 8:00am On Jan 07, 2019
jrusky:

Good but despite your statement the commando style they used doesn't worth it because it's a democracy era bro.

I'm not against it to arrest someone leaking such information but in a bit more professional way and the real culprit will be appended within few hours.

Even in USA the so called model for democracy commando style arrests are always carried out. Are you from mars?
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Randy100: 8:00am On Jan 07, 2019
charliboy654:

How do u think they will get who leaked the information?
Is to arrest the reporter and ask him how he got it, simple.
silastemplar:
so how best to find the leaker if not to get the editor name his or her source?
You don't find leakers by invading a newspaper company, people will misinterpret it as they are doing now. There is a secret mission and intelligent unit in any military settings. I doubt if Nigerian army has any. There are ways that they could have done that without invading and intimidating people.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by SultanYoung: 8:01am On Jan 07, 2019
crownwealth:

Mohomodu Buhari needs this advise of yours. Very bitter & unforgiving man.
if he is bitter the whole of the igbo people will be in trouble for what they did back then
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by sinkhole: 8:02am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

The law does not recognize sympathy. The law is the law and there are laid down judgements and sentences recommended for every offence regardless of public sympathy.
DailyTrust can go to court on this, I think you know this?
By the way you mentioned citizen's arrest: A citizen's arrest could be effected in a situation where it becomes difficult to contact regular security/police.
Hey, but you talked about law?
Where is the law in what the Army had done?
Invasion without a warrant is LAWLESS!
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Abuskid: 8:03am On Jan 07, 2019
NotBeenPaid:

Metele and Baga, Sambisa needs your services more. There's no excuse for stupidity.

Patriotic
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by crownwealth: 8:03am On Jan 07, 2019
SultanYoung:
if he is bitter the whole of the igbo people will be in trouble for what they did back then

The coup plotter is a rogue. Shagari will never forgive him & Nigerians will never forget except the few Idiots among us who want the terrorist to continue.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by sonofElElyon: 8:03am On Jan 07, 2019
The job of dss... not the army's. The rule of law suffers another blow...
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 8:04am On Jan 07, 2019
sinkhole:
By the way you mentioned citizen's arrest: A citizen's arrest could be effected in a situation where it becomes difficult to contact regular security/police

Daily trust is free to go to court. However, they would only end up sanctioning themselves and having some heads in their establishment put on the chopping block.

Like I said, you don't need an arrest warrant to carry out a citizens arrest.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 8:05am On Jan 07, 2019
crownwealth:

The coup plotter is a rogue. Shagari will never forgive him & Nigerians will never forget except the few Idiots among us who want the terrorist to continue.

I am Igbo and I love Buhari and want him to continue. Shagari is dead now and there is no link between the living and the dead inugo?
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by nnamdiosu(m): 8:06am On Jan 07, 2019
Randy100:
It is now that I know that Nigerian army is very stupid. Who leaked the information to Dailytrust? Instead of finding the leaker they are busy chasing a wild goose. Anyway I don't beleive this their useless story.

That's the idea bro. When the get the publisher of the news story, he will produce or snitch on who gave him the story.
The only problem is that becos media peeps don't snitch on their sources, the army will then use tactical torture to get the name out.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by sinkhole: 8:08am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

Daily trust is free to go to court. However, they would only end up sanctioning themselves and having some heads in their establishment put on the chopping block.

Like I said, you don't need an arrest warrant to carry out a citizens arrest.
The Army's way now is already LAWLESS. The Army has already called the bluff of the law!
Yes, you can do citizen's arrest without a warrant but the situation must warrant it.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 8:08am On Jan 07, 2019
sinkhole:
By the way you mentioned citizen's arrest: A citizen's arrest could be effected in a situation where it becomes difficult to contact regular security/police.
Hey, but you talked about law?
Where is the law in what the Army had done?
Invasion without a warrant is LAWLESS!

Invasion in the face of national security does not need a warrant because the threat would have gotten away before the rule of law takes effect.

Immediate action is often required in such times.

Quick question.

Many of the boko haram fighters are Nigerians right?

Those who got arrested and their camps destroyed, how many did the military seek an arrest warrant for before carrying out their act and is their act against the law? After all we are in a democracy right?
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by crownwealth: 8:08am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

I am Igbo and I love Buhari and want him to continue. Shagari is dead now and there is no link between the living and the dead inugo?

Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 8:10am On Jan 07, 2019
sinkhole:
The Army's way now is already LAWLESS. The Army has already called the bluff of the law!
Yes, you can do citizen's arrest without a warrant but the situation must warrant it.

Mr man you are clearly being emotional and not thinking straight.

Even companies have secrets they keep and protect and if you as an employee leaks this secret to another rival company and it is discovered, you get axed and no court anywhere would reinstate your job.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by nedu103: 8:11am On Jan 07, 2019
the army has a problem. they are the same people that will inform boko haram of there activities thereby expose soldiers to untimely death. how did dailytrust get the information still from the army. you can't separate nigerian army from boko haram they are muscled together.
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by Officialpdpnig: 8:12am On Jan 07, 2019
[quote author=crownwealth post=74523731][/quote]

Ipob lout. Efulefu choro ndi oshi PDP
Re: Why We Invade Daily Trust Newspaper Offices - Nigerian Army (Press Statement) by crownwealth: 8:13am On Jan 07, 2019
Officialpdpnig:

Ipob lout. Efulefu choro ndi oshi PDP

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity Strike Organised To Sabotage My Govt –jonathan / 2016 And Those That Will Bring The Change / One Shot Dead As Protesting Shiite Members Attack Police Team In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.