Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu (3588 Views)

Jonathan Harps On Unity As Obi Blames Nation’s Woes On Leadership Failure / Tinubu: We All Caused Nigeria’s Woes, We Must Salvage It Together / Stakeholders Blame Nigeria’s Receding Waters On Coal Mining (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu by orisa37: 11:31am On Jan 09, 2019
Deji's right.
Re: Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu by TheAlchemist: 12:22pm On Jan 09, 2019
Slimpotter:

My thoughts exactly, but how do you start a revolution when the youths are more greedier than the elites as the author of this piece stated...I look at the Russian, Chinese, Cuban revolutions and shake my head when I look at my own country. Some sacrifices are not worth it, especially if it's Nigeria. If we had more determined youths like Castro or Sankara it would have been worth it but no, it is Benz they want to drive after which they'll grow old and leave an anarchical society for their kids.

any revolution would simply lead to a bloody civil war
Re: Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu by Ugosample(m): 5:11pm On Jan 09, 2019
Toks2008:
This is why i laugh at those criticizing Buhari..

Look at 99% of those against Buhari right from Atiku,Saraki,Dino.illegit buisness men and many more and you will see one basic similarities in all of them..THEY ARE ALL CORRUPT and are desperate to take Nigeria back to the dark days when our money was squandered.

Was it not same saraki that was wailing in a leaked tape that BUhari is no longer allowing free money to roll in? I pity Nigerians that are still canvassing for PDP.

APC is a party filled with criminals

The difference between the two is that one set never pretended to be saints while the other is pretending to b good whearss they are criminals

Buhari should look himself in the mirror and ask himself whether indeed he deserves a second term after all that has happened under his reign undecided
Re: Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu by Ugosample(m): 5:14pm On Jan 09, 2019
Slimpotter:

My thoughts exactly, but how do you start a revolution when the youths are more greedier than the elites as the author of this piece stated...I look at the Russian, Chinese, Cuban revolutions and shake my head when I look at my own country. Some sacrifices are not worth it, especially if it's Nigeria. If we had more determined youths like Castro or Sankara it would have been worth it but no, it is Benz they want to drive after which they'll grow old and leave an anarchical society for their kids.

Well that's just the way it is.

Greed at all levels without thinking of the future
Re: Blame Nigeria's Woes On Her Elites By Deji Yesufu by musicwriter(m): 11:55pm On Jan 09, 2019
The question then should be; how is the elite produced? And since you agree its education that produces the elites, then something must be wrong with that education. Having said that, I am only interested in the below paragraphs in quote.

Edmund Obilo’s frequent lamentation on radio is that there is something fundamentally wrong with the black man. He made this position known to Prof. Niyi Osundare in one of his interviews in the now rested program “VOICES”. Osundare refuted the position by saying that the problem of Africa should be placed on the laps of the White Man that colonized and dehumanized us. Unfortunately the erudite Poet did not convince me and I suppose many other listeners as well. I cannot understand how after more than fifty years of independence from our former colonialists, anyone should still be blaming the White Man for our state today. I share Obilo’s sentiment that there is indeed a fundamental flaw in the make up of the black man. And I’m convinced that in this country this flaw can be traced to Nigeria’s elites.

The problem with the black man in Africa is what Osundare is trying to explain, but when you make the argument that ''I cannot understand how after more than fifty years of independence from our former colonialists, anyone should still be blaming the White Man for our state today'' that's because you (yourself) being part of the problem does not understand our predicament.

Colonialism has not ended, we are still in colonialism today- neo-colonialism. We are still locked in the language, education, religion, given us by our various colonial masters in Africa. If we were truly free, we would've changed everything that was imposed on us. And when someone gives you language, education, religion, you'll use it to act against yourself. The person who gave them to you can go live on the moon and you'll still enslave yourself by doing what he wants. The European colonialists have been replaced with ''native colonialists'' and education is the process of producing them. It is the alien language, education, and religion that creates the elites because by the time they get to the top of the chain in our society, they assume the white man's supremacy over our people.

The way forward is for those of us with education, position and influence, the younger elites today, to begin to do the right things. Nigeria must kill corruption or corruption will kill us. We must begin to ensure that our institutions work. The police and the judiciary must wake up to ensure that we have functional laws and that law breakers are punished without fear or favor. Our religious institutions must begin to impart moral values in their people. They must set the tone themselves by not being lovers of money. We the elite must wake up!

You people still don't understand the nature of our predicament. You cannot act outside of the intelligence coming out of language, education, religion. Even if you (yourself) become one of the so called elites, you'll also assume the European supremacy over our people and will also keep plundering our people on behalf of the white man. The white man has set up the system for our eternal enslavement of ourselves and he has left. How to shut it down is to go back to our own language, education, religion, so that we can re-write the software of our mind and remove what was imposed on us by Europeans. Only then shall we create anything close to the kind of just society we want.

Mr. Osundare was right, whether or not he understands the details.

This topic was escalated in my book; intellectual slavery the worst legacy of colonialism.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Pledges To Support Local Manufacturers / Governor Diri Hires Six SANS,46 Lawyers To Defend Him At Election Tribunal / What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.