Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,564 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf (2213 Views)

Biafra Agitation: Arewa Youths Write ACF, NEF / Candidates From South East/ West States Presented As Northern Candidates (pix) / Reasons For How Igbos Voted For Gej (or Not For Northern Candidates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 11, 2010
ACF makes U-turn, backs zoning
…Says all parties must present Northern candidates
From ISMAIL OMIPIDAN and GARBA MUHAMMAD, Kaduna
Wednesday, August 11, 2010

More Stories on This Section

After weeks of dilly-dallying, initially saying the debate on zoning was a Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) affair, the Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, yesterday made a U-turn and unanimously agreed that the existing zoning arrangement between the North and the South must be respected.

This was part of the decisions reached after a stormy session of the group’s joint meeting of its National Executive Council (NEC) members and those of the Board of Trustees, BoT, in Kaduna, which saw the BoT Chairman, Lt. General Jeremiah Useni (retd), almost walking out on the meeting, but was prevailed upon to remain and preside over the gathering till the end, which he did.

To this end, the ACF has equally called on all the parties in the country to ensure they present presidential candidates from the North for the 2011 Presidential election, just as it happened in 1999, where only Southerners contested the general election as presidential candidates. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Chief Olu Falae, were the two presidential candidates during the 1999 presidential polls.

According to insiders at the meeting, the decision to insist that all political parties must endeavour to choose a northern presidential candidate was reached to ensure that Nigerians are given the choice to choose from the array of presidential candidates of Northern extraction that would be presented to them, so as to allay the fears that the zoning principle would deny them the opportunity of having the best to lead the country from the zone.

Daily Sun further learnt that although the meeting, ought to have been jointly chaired by the ACF chairman, General IBM Haruna and Useni, only Useni presided, as Haruna was said to have been “unavoidably absent.”
Incidentally, both Haruna and Useni, as individuals, have always held the view that the issue of zoning was purely a party affair, and as such, ACF should stay away from the matter.

Sources revealed to Daily Sun that the above position was equally canvassed at yesterday’s meeting, with Useni supporting, but majority of those present at the meeting insisted that ACF must not only discuss the matter, but must come up with a definite position.
The majority’s position, Daily Sun further learnt was in tandem with the position of the group’s Political Committee, headed by Alhaji Ahmed Mohammed Gusau, who incidentally made a presentation to the Joint Committee meeting of the ACF yesterday.

In his presentation, a copy of which was exclusively obtained by Daily Sun, Gusau threw some posers to the gathering, chief among which were: “as we are very much aware that there are presidential candidates from the North that are likely to emerge from other political parties, i.e, the CPC, the ANPP, e.t.c, the poser here is, should President Jonathan emerge victorious during the PDP primaries, what could be the reaction of the ACF under the circumstance? Presently, there appears to be clear divisions within the 19 states in the North, what could ACF do to bring unity and understanding in the North regardless of religious and tribal differences which will enhance our victory, should the North adopt the zoning formula?

“If we look at this issue from another perspective, are we saying that if the zoning formula is adopted, whoever emerges President of the country from the North, irrespective of his political affiliation, will he serve for only four years? On the other hand, if President Jonathan becomes the President by 2011, has he the right to re-contest after 2015? Some people are of the view that for this zoning arrangement to remain without any violation by the so-called gentleman agreement and the provision of 2009 PDP’s constitution, the North should call for a constitutional amendment to insert the zoning principle in the constitution, will this solve our problem?
“In view of the foregoing challenges, posers and observations, the Joint Committee of the ACF is hereby invited to brainstorm and critically examine all the issues raised above, with a view to coming up with a clear position that the North could stand on.”

In spite of the Gusau’s presentation, Daily Sun further learnt, those against discussion on zoning, almost had their way, before the Youth Leader of the Northern Union (NU), Mohammed Alhaji Abu, was said to referred the gathering to the provisions of the ACF constitution, which gave it the powers to discuss and take decision on contentious issues like the zoning matter.

He was said to have directed the gathering to section 4 (2) and (4) respectively, of the ACF constitution, which states that the Forum shall among other things “set up machinery for regular dialogue to ensure that issues likely to cause breach of the peace are settled amicably and promptly,” and “to establish linkages and contacts with political and community leaders in order to harmonize approaches towards finding solutions to peculiar problems facing the northern states and the country as a whole.”
That, Daily Sun further learnt, did the magic, as the gathering was moved into taking a definite stand on the matter. One thing that did not, however, feature in the communiqué, but which Daily Sun authoritatively learnt, was agreed upon was the fact that whoever emerged from the North as President in 2011, would not run again in 2015.

In the communiqué issued at the end of the meeting and signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Anthony Sani, a copy of which was made available to Daily Sun, ACF resolved that “all political parties should endeavour to field northern candidates for the 2011 presidential elections.
“This is very important and necessary to ensure the principle of federal character, which has become part and parcel of our political culture.
“All political parties and public organizations should continue to uphold the practice of zoning in the interest of social justice, equity, fairness and stability of a united Nigeria.

“The meeting also commended the government for appointing credible persons, such as Professor Jega at the helm of affairs of INEC.
“These have gone in no small measure to rekindle the hope and confidence of Nigerians in INEC capacity to conduct free and fair election.
“The meeting urged government to provide INEC with all necessary support for the 2011 elections.”
Prominent among those who attended the meeting were former ACF Secretary, Colonel Hamid Ali (retd), reinstated Bauchi Deputy Governor, Alhaji Garba Gadi, Generals Magoro, Ali Akilu and Wushishi (retd), Alhaji Umar Abdul-Mutallab, former First Bank Plc Chairman, and Alhaji Saidu Bada among others.
Meanwhile, two youth groups from the North, Coalition of Northern Youth Organization and the Arewa Youth Development Foundation (AYDF), stormed the venue of the meeting to press home their support for the retention of zoning ahead of the 2011 presidential election.

the Sun
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 11, 2010
How comical can a group get?

Why not form their own Party and present Northern Presidential candidate and Northern VP if they like?

This zoning talk is really getting boring.

One moment ACF is celebrating how they will be in power for 1 million years if Zoning dies, the next moment they are bulling the rest of us in other to continue zoning. When will they just do the simple thing and grow up and begin to speak like adults.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by EzeUche22(m): 1:23am On Aug 11, 2010
I could care less about these people.

The President can be from the south and the VP from the South and I would love that.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by chyz(m): 1:33am On Aug 11, 2010
LMAO, what a comedy. so all the country must make a northern candidate for 2011. if not what will the do. i guess the whole country should jump when the ACF says jump. lol( in kanuri)
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 1:37am On Aug 11, 2010
chyz:

LMAO, what a comedy. so all the country must make a northern candidate for 2011. if not what will the do. i guess the whole country should jump when the ACF says jump. lol( in kanuri)

AC is doing it , so why not?
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by chyz(m): 1:38am On Aug 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

AC is doing it , so why not?

Because none of them are good enough apart from Ribadu! grin
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On Aug 11, 2010
chyz:

Because none of them are good enough apart from Ribadu! grin
I doubt that  . . . . remember buhari was rumored to be the choice until Ribadu showed up only last month or two months ago. They probably feel he(Ribadu) though with next to no real leadership experience,but popular to some folks, is the best Northern hand to play at this time.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 1:47am On Aug 11, 2010
Contrary to general belief, you don't need experience to be a good leader. What you need most are honesty and strong character. What experience did Lincoln or Washington have before they became president. Have an honest guy with a strong character that can't be pushed around and there we go.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 1:50am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

Contrary to general belief, you don't need experience to be a good leader. What you need most are honesty and strong character. What experience did Lincoln or Washington have before they became president. Have an honest guy with a strong character that can't be pushed around and there we go.
hhmm . . . correct me if I am wrong but was that not the story of Yar adua? I know we believe he was rigged in as president but what of his time as state governor, and even after he become the president? Wasn't he our "honest, strong-charactered" leader with no experience in leadership whatsoever, who went on to never accomplished most anything in all his years in leadership?
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by chyz(m): 1:52am On Aug 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I doubt that  . . . . remember buhari was rumored to be the choice until Ribadu showed up only last month or two months ago. They probably feel he(Ribadu) though with next to no real leadership experience,but popular to some folks, is the best Northern hand to play at this time.

True. You got me there. In the case of buhari, i think nigerians today want something new instead of the same old recycled rulers of before. Ribadu would be the man though. however the northern elite dont see him as a "Northern" candidate because they fear his capability of bring their corruption to an end there for they will not support or sponsor him.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 2:01am On Aug 11, 2010
Yaradua was said to be honest( I debate that) but definitely he had no strong character. His cabinet was not only full of dishonest people but they controlled him a lot. So honesty and strong character are not the story of yaradua. He was weak
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

Yaradua was said to be honest( I debate that) but definitely he had no strong character. His cabinet was not only full of dishonest people but they controlled him a lot. So honesty and strong character are not the story of yaradua. He was weak
I know some people who will debate that with you. But my point is we are past the "ONLY HONEST AND STRONG CHARACTER WILL DO" line . . . the country's future is in a state of emergency and we need someone who seriously understands what is required and has what it takes to get the job done.

Personally, I think a Buhari ticket will make more sense because he was part of a team that won us something back in the days. The man was able to step to the side to allow his VP work his magic to change Nigeria(yes, I am aware of the extent the VP had to go to get the job done), and that is humility that we barely find anywhere in Nigeria.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 2:22am On Aug 11, 2010
Buhari is not far from my definition of honesty and strong character. I'm sure you will agree with me that prior to 1983, buhari had little to no experience in national leadership and yet, at least by your assessment, he or his administration achieved one or two things.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Beaf: 2:25am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

Buhari is not far from my definition of honesty and strong character. I'm sure you will agree with me that prior to 1983, buhari had little to no experience in national leadership and yet, at least by your assessment, he or his administration achieved one or two things.

If anything, Idiagbon was the strong character. Buhari allowed his vice (and junior in military rank) run the show, which means he was either a figure-head or he is a weakling.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 2:34am On Aug 11, 2010
Perhaps I could call it a combo of strength(idiagbon) and honesty( buhari & idiagbon) . Also it takes a lot of strength of character to carry out a coup d'tat.

Either way you look at it, in that administration you see honesty and strength. But not much experience. Little wonder they almost challenged the UK to a military confrontation when a British plane was seized in retaliation for a similar action by the British.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 2:37am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

Well, one does not need to have NATIONAL leadership skills in order to be a good leader, or a leader at all.  Buhari may not have had NATIONAL leadership skills but he definitely had some good leadership skills from his time serving in the millitary. I cannot stress enough the importance of his act to step to the side, allowing his VP, who we all know had some really good ideas for the country, to build that nation.  More than anyone else out there today, I am willing to BET on a Buhari ticket, simply knowing that the man probably has some of that good left in him and maybe again willing to step aside to let someone with good ideas drive things for a bit.

It takes a good leader, and a humble individual to put EGO and POWER aside/ to step to the side when he finds someone else can do the job better than he can. And even though Idiaghon did it all, he could not have done it if Buhari did not let him. The whole nation loved idiaghon more but Buhari allowed it for the good of the nation. That is strong .
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Beaf: 2:39am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

Perhaps I could call it a combo of strength(idiagbon) and honesty( buhari & idiagbon) . Also it takes a lot of strength of character to carry out a coup d'tat.

Either way you look at it, in that administration you see honesty and strength. But not much experience. Little wonder they almost challenged the UK to a military confrontation when a British plane was seized in retaliation for a similar action by the British.

It is unfortunate to say it, but Buhari played very little part in his own govt. All of the action came from Idiagbon.
I cannot credit him with having run a govt.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by truly: 2:41am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

This is not exactly true
Buhari had been a minister and state governor prior to becoming a head of state in 1983
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 2:42am On Aug 11, 2010
truly:

Buhari was had been a minister and state governor prior to becoming a head of state in 1983

I didn't know that
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Beaf: 2:44am On Aug 11, 2010
Anyways, back to topic. . .
AC is the biggest joke of a party I know in the field today. Swear by one thing today, swear by the exact opposite tommorow. What a set of clowns! No wonder they only have two states. embarassed
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 2:45am On Aug 11, 2010
@kobo
every post you make further reinforces my point.
@beaf
you may give credit to idiagbon, I look at the regime and it's leadership. You cannot separate buhari from the gains or losses of that administration.
@ truly
yes, I knew that. But the experience hawks won't accept minister or gov of northwest state to be enough experience for head of state.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 2:49am On Aug 11, 2010
@ beaf
the biggest joke in Nigeria today are the Nigerian people as a whole. Every leadership is a reflection of their constituency. Either they reflect the character of the general population or they exhibit the weakness/stupid docility of the people

when we rise to claim our nation, These leaders will bow to our will
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 2:50am On Aug 11, 2010
That we agree that Buhari was probably an example of an honest, and strong-willed leader DOES NOT mean all Honest and strong-willed persons out there make good leaders. And that is why I remain that Ribadu's lack of experience in real leadership is reason why I believe that ticket remains weak.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by preselect(m): 2:52am On Aug 11, 2010
Perhaps not all, but probably most.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by truly: 2:54am On Aug 11, 2010
Beaf:

If anything, Idiagbon was the strong character. Buhari allowed his vice (and junior in military rank) run the show, which means he was either a figure-head or he is a weakling.
To call him a figure-head or a weakling will be untrue
He was GOC of the 3rd Armoured division that drove Chadians troops (who had taken Nigerian territories) back to their country
He was firm in his resolve to defend the Nigerian territory and send a warning to those foreign troops or rebels
This was under Shagari administration

Beaf:

It is unfortunate to say it, but Buhari played very little part in his own govt. All of the action came from Idiagbon.
I cannot credit him with having run a govt.
This is not true.
To start with, a military man would just not be figure-head and allow a subordinate run the show
If you watch the tapes of the interview he gave, you would see a man who did not shy away from clarifying his position on issues
Yes Idiagbon projected an image of a strongman, but Buhari was also a strong character
It was not so common those days for a "weakling" to become a major general
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Kobojunkie: 2:55am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

Perhaps not all, but probably most.

I doubt that . . . i have some honest strong characters around me that I would not dare vote for. You give some of them power and they might turn EVIL . . . lol
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Beaf: 2:56am On Aug 11, 2010
pres-elect:

@ beaf
the biggest joke in Nigeria today are the Nigerian people as a whole. Every leadership is a reflection of their constituency. Either they reflect the character of the general population or they exhibit the weakness/silly docility of the people

when we rise to claim our nation, These leaders will bow to our will

You are right. I guess thats why the AC has a couple of states in the kitty even though it has changed name and fragmented practically every day of the year.
The main problem with Nigerians is that tribalism has eaten too deep into our society; it is this same societal ill that political parties like the AC and factions of the PDP hope to use for ill gain.
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Gbawe: 12:10pm On Aug 11, 2010
Beaf:

Anyways, back to topic. . .
AC is the biggest joke of a party I know in the field today. Swear by one thing today, swear by the exact opposite tommorow. What a set of clowns! No wonder they only have two states. embarassed

My friend, in your haste to demonise anything/anyone that threatens the ambitions of Jonathan you have not even read the headline or the article properly to see that it is not the AC Party that "Swear by one thing today, swear by the exact opposite tommorow." It is the ACF (Arewa Consultative forum) that seemed to "endorse" the abolition of zoning yesterday only to support it today .
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by Vavavoom(m): 2:08pm On Aug 11, 2010
The story of our lot.

People, seated.
Herds of them, their frown cold
the insignia of long deprivation
50 years of worthless toil
most pray but relief seem far
closed eyes envisioning long survival roads
fraught with daily economic harmattan
dusty winds hovering over their hope
blown at them by the ineptly corrupt
the few in whose bowel they all lie
whose crumbs they feed from,
surviving just so they see another day
tomorrow, which they hope will be better than yesterday

I fear for my country, Nigeria
I fear she may not survive after the coming harmattan
'cos the different FEW are gathering
North, East, West and South of her borders
I could hear whispers of sobering disquiet
the gathering FEW of the ill at ease
each seeking to protect its region
in defiance of the Compatriot's call
to build a nation, where peace and justice reigns
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by sley4life(m): 2:16pm On Aug 11, 2010
Anoda myopic suggestion
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by yeswecan(m): 2:52pm On Aug 11, 2010
hmmm
Re: All Political Parties Must Present Northern Candidates - Acf by otokx(m): 3:06pm On Aug 11, 2010
Good decision

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ify Okoye, Igbo Muslim Woman On Cnn / 2011: Zoning Battle Shifts To Saudi Arabia / Presidency Approves Housing Allowance For Ex-militants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.