Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,819 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired (553 Views)

Covering Up For A Mistake A Coworker Has Made: Would You Choose Losing Your Job? / The Pros And Cons Of Dating A Coworker / "3 Weeks After Reporting A Much Older Coworker, I Was Fired From My Job" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired by Kanixt(m): 6:51pm On Jan 09, 2019
Loooooong ago I worked in a bank as a customer service representative (teller). Each night, after closing, we had to balance our drawers and ‘sell’ excess denominations to the head teller. We were a commercial bank, in a mall, meaning we took huge deposits from most of the shops in and around the mall. At Christmas time it was not unusual for me to have close to half a million in just my drawer. (My drawer consisted of the actual drawer I had out front with the customers and a small safety deposit box type safe in the main vault.) I tell you all this so you have a little idea how things work and the volume of cash we dealt with.

Here comes a new employee, she wasn’t very friendly to the rest of us but, since she was in the window next to, I was supposed to help her out. Every day she struggled to balance. Us old timers had learned to do a midday balance when it was slow so that, if you were out of balance, you had time to look for the problem and, if you balanced at midday but not at end of day, you knew the problem was after a certain point. I suggested this approach to her so that we wouldn’t all be standing around every night waiting for her to balance.

One day, very early in her career, she balanced pretty quickly for her and everyone happily went home. In the morning we got back any adjustments that came from ‘proof’, the department that checks all the transactions and ensures that they balance (like deposits). She had a $2000 adjustment! How did she balance the night before?

Well, we think she did a midday balance and discovered that her drawer was over by N2000. She may have looked for her problem or not but she never asked for help because nobody knew. We then think she took the money out of her drawer and left with it at lunch. When the proof adjustment came through, it made her drawer N2000 short. When that happens a manager or assistant manager has to audit your drawer.

Bottom line, she was immediately fired. I don’t know if they pressed charges but she did show up to work in the morning in a new car!

This was in the ‘80s so N2000 was a lot more money then.
Re: What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired by frbona: 7:35pm On Jan 09, 2019
Anybody in this life who can comprehend the mumbo jumbo written up there deserves a Pulitzer prize!
#2000 then $2000
OP who brews sells you gin?
Re: What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired by fabraham(m): 9:58am On Jan 10, 2019
frbona:
Anybody in this life who can comprehend the mumbo jumbo written up there deserves a Pulitzer prize!
#2000 then $2000
OP who brews sells you gin?
I started day dreaming after reading the junk grin
Re: What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired by Period007(m): 11:50am On Jan 10, 2019
Op. We have to understand your story before we share ours
Re: What Is The Most Bizarre Thing A Coworker Has Ever Done To Get Fired by Emmypure: 7:20pm On May 21, 2021
Make I comment fast, before touts take over this thread like wild fire

(1) (Reply)

Law Regulating The Amount Of Cash Salary Paid By An Employer. / Biggest Gospel Reality TV Show In Nigeria, ‘the Christ Factor’ Launches / Made For Life: 24-year-old Worker Wins N1.6tr Lottery Fortune

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.