Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,798 members, 7,810,075 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (17575 Views)

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Aker Nguyilan: Jambite Dies In Car Accident While Travelling To Write JAMB Exams / My Daughter Not Allowed To Write JAMB With Her Hijab On - Man Raises Alarm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by dauddy97(m): 1:40pm On Jan 10, 2019
I love programming and I love Mathematics. I choose Mathematics myself when I applied for jamb since 2017. Currently in 200lvl. My eldest brother called my dad and ask him what I was studying, so he told him it's "Mathematics". After their discussion, I was told to start planning to write another jamb and choose computer science. I don't know how to convince them. pls help, should I continue with Mathematics or sit for another jamb.

pls, I need your candid advice.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:
I love programming and I love Mathematics. I choose Mathematics myself when I applied for jamb since 2017. Currently in 200lvl. My eldest brother called my dad and ask him what I was studying, so he told him it's "Mathematics". After their discussion, I was told to start planning to write another jamb and choose computer science. I don't know how to convince them. pls help, should I continue with Mathematics or sit for another jamb.

Mathematics is equally as good. In a Nigerian Federal or state university, you're better off studying Mathematics than Computer Science.
Nigerian Universities can keep up with the trend of mathematics but not with ever evolving CS.
So my Brother, continue with the mathematics and at the same time, start learning how to code.

69 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by dauddy97(m): 2:11pm On Jan 10, 2019
mikezuruki:

Mathematics is equally as good. In a Nigerian Federal or state university, you're better off studying Mathematics than Computer Science.
Nigerian Universities can keep up with the trend of mathematics but not with ever evolving CS.
So my Brother, continue with the mathematics and at the same time, start learning how to code.
Thanks. what about in terms of job opportunity
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Donmoscojaja(m): 4:22pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:
Thanks. what about in terms of job opportunity

For job, I will say computer science..but am not saying you should quite school oo

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by dauddy97(m): 4:39pm On Jan 10, 2019
lalasticlala please help to front page. I need advice
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by javaRookie: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
Since you are already in 200l there is no need again to turn back.
Our CS Curiculum is 80% Maths am still wondering whether am studying Maths as a course or Computer science.
But guess what Maths is almost the Base of Computer science. You will see more of algorithms which you can blueprint with pseudocodes then implement with the programming of your choice than programming itself.
So dont think lecturers will teach you how to code, you should do that on your own.
But Computer science is so cool that you can apply it to any field of study.
So go ahead with your Maths and learn coding with your spare time or holidays. Who knows you might be our own Linus <linux>!
A math student who knows programming tends to be better than a typical Csc student in some areas like algorithm implementation and design. But not at all times.

47 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Yankee101: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
When I saw the first few words I immediately thought, go for maths. But it's so you can understand programming data structures and algorithms.

Computer science is the future. But we need more mathematicians/physicists as we delve into quantum computing. So look for a best route. Understand that naija computer science courses are mostly theoretical, you must teach yourself

If your bro is in a developed country he probably sees what's selling and telling your dad to ask you to switch. Both paths can still take you there but it's up to you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by confusedGuy(m): 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
Programming is just a part of computer science. You must not study computer science before you start writing codes.

I studied physics and here I am making A living from programming. I have never made a dime with my physics cert.

I started learning Programming while in school studying physics at 300L....just imagine mixing physics and coding....it all boils down to passion. And you have it!

Mathematics, Physics, computer science and engineering are the four subject one should have a degree in to get a programming job. However getting a job in programming solely depends on your skill.

You can still be getting millions from programming as a freelancer with your mathematics even while still in school studying.

CODING is a skill....not something you need to go to school to study.

My 2 cents..

48 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by HAROLDWILSON: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
Go for Buhari Science

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by datola: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
You are very lucky to have been blessed with such a sound brain.

Mathematics is not bad for a programming savy person. How I wish you were studying at OAU, Ife you would have enjoyed coding life because guys there are hot when it comes to programming, even those who are studying none STEM courses are top programmers.

Study the course (science or engieering) you know can earn you first class. Apply to ivy schools abroad for graduate study on scholarship.

You can also visit Andela in Lagos for counsel.

All the best!

8 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Phoenixpolo: 5:32pm On Jan 10, 2019
Get the jamb form and continue with your schooling,if you pass and picked then swap

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by tolats(m): 5:32pm On Jan 10, 2019
My advice is simple. There's none of the courses you wouldn't practice what you love. The point is you must go for higher degrees or professional course if you really wanna practice programming through academics. I'm in the system so I know how it goes.
Talking about job opportunities, the chances are the same with the first degree certificate be it maths or computer science but with personal and professional experience, you would earn big. You don't even have to work under anybody. In summary, stick to what you've started. We still have some universities that graduate students in maths and computer as a course.

If you need more advice, quote or mention me

5 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Sportwin(m): 5:33pm On Jan 10, 2019
do whatever you love

if nt had i known would be the nxt thing

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by suco01(m): 5:33pm On Jan 10, 2019
Continue with your mathematics. Nobody should decide for you unless you're not satisfied with what you're doing. Also you can switch course but you will have to sacrifice a session or so...

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by gazilion: 5:33pm On Jan 10, 2019
Bros, Do your mathematics.
You can learn computing on the fly.
Nowadays, you can do all the certifications even when you never did computer science as a first degree.
What more, with your mathematics and your computer certifications - you have an advantage over certain people who studied computer science but never got certified or improved on their skills.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by hakeem4(m): 5:33pm On Jan 10, 2019
mathematics is actually a good course but not here in Nigeria as you would end up being a math teacher in secondary school. i would advice you to do the mathematics and go and learn programming on your own. instead of wasting time writing jamb all over again, then couple with the ASUU strike.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by chloride6: 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
First things first......

I must warn you....

Maths hard gaaaaaan........

If you cant guarantee your 2.1 in Maths or dont have passion for it...

Please move over to computer science...

But a degree in Maths commands respects and opens door..

I studied engineering but we respect maths student...

You can pick a career in oil and gas, banking, academics and most importantly computing!!

A degree in Maths will help you become a better programmer than a computer scientist......

But it will take a lot of effort.

Maths is not for the faint hearted....

20 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Pulsenaija: 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
Go for computer science you will even start getting money before you finish, by April I will be a graduate of computer science

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by 34webers(m): 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
To me o, there is no remarkable difference between the two courses especially while studying. As a matter of fact, the two are under the same faculty of sciences in my school and the students are all registered in mathematical sciences. Even the student association is the same.
I know there is still some little differences maybe at 500 level but I can't say since I'm not a graduate of either.
My advice, go for your mathematics, both have almost same opportunities, though I stand to be corrected.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by nextstep(m): 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
Personally, I think you should use your talents and the money being used for your university education to start a CS-related business. I don't know what, but I really thing the pursuit of degree is doing more harm than good in our universities. Most of the concepts can be self-taught if you're disciplined (and honestly, you'll learn more by being self motivated than by attending lectures given by disinterested professors who... wait are they on strike again?).

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by orion7: 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
better rewerite jamb

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by MZEE01: 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
ok

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by OmoManU: 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
Pls rewrite jamb and go computer science, continuing with mathematics was my biggest mistake in life up till today

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by kunletoks(m): 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2019
Finish your Mathematics and go for Masters in Computer Science.
Most companies looking for programmer would accept Bsc Mathematics since it's a science course.
Master your programming and your first job will be waiting for you.

Another option is to cross to 200L from Mathematics to Computer Science instead of wasting 2 years.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by kaythinks(m): 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2019
This is my candid advice. Continue with maths and develop ur programming skills at the same time. Data science needs a lot of maths too, so it's useful.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by pawn89(m): 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2019
I can totally relate to what you are going through. I used to be in that same position, I will advice you continue with studying mathematics. Programming is an acquired skill, you can still learn it and become a professional without studying computer science.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by kingsley989(m): 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2019
Bro continue with your maths degree. You can learn programming and get certified.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Aku2078: 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2019
I have masters in food engineering, but where are those certificates of mine today, down down under my big ecolag box

Education is not the way forward now in this country,not until Buhari returns to Daura

My dear go and learn a skill or do a legit business

5 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Charly68: 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2019
Continue with your mathematics & go for computer science in your second degree..it is as simple as that

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by OmniSparrow: 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2019
OmoManU:
Pls rewrite jamb and go computer science, continuing with mathematics was my biggest mistake in life up till today
I did mathematics and I don't have regrets.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by AZeD1(m): 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:

Computer Science is somewhat applied maths. Continue with the Maths. When it comes to careers in software development, nobody give a f what you studied.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by virus05(m): 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2019
Maths is good biko. Most people that graduated with a computer science degree don't even know how to program.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Lecturer Harasses You (Female Students) / Ignore Notice To Shave Beards - BSU Management Reacts To Beards Controversy / Delta Government Closes Arise And Shine Nursery & Primary School In Asaba

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.