Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? (2406 Views)

Young Nigerian Man Proudly Shows Off His 3 Wives (Pics/Video) / How Much Should We Save For Our Children? / How Do I Save For The Future So As Not To Learn The Hard Way? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by sisisioge: 8:23am On Jan 11, 2019
Assually, here is how it work...

1. We save our money and spend the bobos own especially when settling down with him is not in the loop.

2. When settling down enters, we spend a lil of ours and theirs and hope there would be savings here and there.

3. When settling down is guaranteed, nobody spends roughly o. We start policing every kobo that gets spends on unnecessary things. The 21 health benefits of staying off sugar, big screens, organic foods, bonding at home etc get embraced.

Baa keria fa embarassed

If you like, let them finish your money...every man for himself, God for us all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by eyinjuege: 8:24am On Jan 11, 2019
pocohantas:
The OP didn't generalize, he said AVERAGE. Take 10 girls, 5 (if not more) out of them do not save. They are only after flashy life, iPhone, weaves, clothes, designer bags... etc. is the above true? The answer is yes. Let's not dance around it.

How many young girls would just stay and ask their bf his career goals? His plans for the future? If he is fulfilled at his place of work? If he has bought a land? Tell him about Tbills, FD? How many ask these questions? Not just ask because she read it from a book, but because she means it and can offer good counsel.

OP, because they know you will always give them. It there is no guy somewhere that will be begging a girl to come out and take icercream/pizza, on his own account kwa, some will start having sense. Pick the kind of girl you want, it might take a while, but frugal girls abound. You just might find them plain, since they don't spend all their money on fancy things.

Does it mean young girls who work and earn reasonably well don't save? Infact, majority of them do. If you earn 30k, it will be almost impossible to save.
But for those who earn reasonably well, I believe they do save their own money.
It's very easy to do controller over other people's money, and that's where some young men miss it, waiting for their girlfriend (not wife o) to help them save.
These girlfriends too are only after their own personal comfort. Why won't they ask OP to buy a car instead of investing? They have done their calculations, and not only will they have a personal driver to show off with, it will also save them transport costs. They advice based on the direct benefit to them. However a wife or fiancee ( where both families have already agreed to marry) will most times give better advice, as she sees a future.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Everyone has to give themselves brain, and make decisions that will benefit you. Don't wait for someone who has no idea how hard it was for you to save to decide what to do with your money.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 8:35am On Jan 11, 2019
I always dey wonder the kind girls all these Nairaland men meet.
Who doesn't save abeg undecided.
In this 2019?!
Except that girl is young, dumb and broke.

By the way, change your circle of female friends and at least try to encourage them to save too instead of castigating them online.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 11, 2019
folake4u:
I always dey wonder the kind girls all these Nairaland men meet.

Well girls whose names start from folake obviously.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 8:46am On Jan 11, 2019
truthsayer009:

Well girls whose names start from folake obviously cheesy grin grin

Lmao no but I'm serious, where do you meet all these kind of mediocre girls edakun
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 11, 2019
folake4u:

Lmao no but I'm serious, where do you meet all these kind of mediocre girls edakun

Mediocre? I'm not sure that's the right word sha. The ladies are just selfish minded, not really mediocre.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Anfieldboss: 9:24am On Jan 11, 2019
pocohantas:
The OP didn't generalize, he said AVERAGE. Take 10 girls, 5 (if not more) out of them do not save. They are only after flashy life, iPhone, weaves, clothes, designer bags... etc. is the above true? The answer is yes. Let's not dance around it.

How many young girls would just stay and ask their bf his career goals? His plans for the future? If he is fulfilled at his place of work? If he has bought a land? Tell him about Tbills, FD? How many ask these questions? Not just ask because she read it from a book, but because she means it and can offer good counsel.

OP, because they know you will always give them. It there is no guy somewhere that will be begging a girl to come out and take icercream/pizza, on his own account kwa, some will start having sense. Pick the kind of girl you want, it might take a while, but frugal girls abound. You just might find them plain, since they don't spend all their money on fancy things.

Not just plain, they are not attractive most times. Men always like flashy things, na God go help us.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Florblu(f): 10:40am On Jan 11, 2019
larryking540:

Babe stop defending ur self, ,,what d op said is tru, ,,,the guy u are currently dating cus I don't kw if u are married right nw, ,how many times have u asked him if he is saving even if u don't kw how much he earns?

Hardly will many ladies ask u such questions, ,,,,infact day will want u to take them to exclusive eatery but don't have money to go home, ,u will feed her and still give her money for transportation

The kind of girls you have around you determine who you are.

If she's not encouraging you to save, encourage yourself and encourage her. Stop blaming your misfortune on liabilities you acquired with your eyes open

2 Likes

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 11, 2019
Florblu:

I'm still in my 20s.

Ask your predecessors what they did. Men keep getting married to prudent ladies every Saturday

You are obviously in your late twenties for sure, 29 - 30. So I don't think you should think this way.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 12:24pm On Jan 11, 2019
truthsayer009:

Mediocre? I'm not sure that's the right word sha. The ladies are just selfish minded, not really mediocre.

Alright then. Pardon my choice of word but the kain ladies una dey meet and the complaints from you guys always they baffle me sha.
I can only speak for myself tho, I'm not selfish at all smiley
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2019
Florblu:

The kind of girls you have around you determine who you are.

If she's not encouraging you to save, encourage yourself and encourage her. Stop blaming your misfortune on liabilities you acquired with your eyes open

Thank you very much for this!

I'm always tired when Nairaland men blame the ladies for their fortunes. They're not Siamese twins last I checked so if she's not willing to save,why not encourage her.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 12:32pm On Jan 11, 2019
Anfieldboss:

Not just plain, they are not attractive most times. Men always like flashy things, na God go help us.

Lmao.

Men are attracted to flashy things? Okay oh. What you see is what you get actually so don't come and be whining online that your partner can't save because you were too shallow to chose the slay queens who don't like saving over the prudent girls who like saving.
You attract what you deserve.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Anfieldboss: 1:43pm On Jan 11, 2019
folake4u:

Lmao.

Men are attracted to flashy things? Okay oh. What you see is what you get actually so don't come and be whining online that your partner can't save because you were too shallow to chose the slay queens who don't like saving over the prudent girls who like saving.
You attract what you deserve.

As if you don't already know
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Acidosis(m): 2:59pm On Jan 11, 2019
Our saving culture may be poor but I don't think we have people that are ignorant of the need to save. What is lacking in our society is the "how". It is difficult to save money when you lack the right knowledge on finance and investment.

When you teach people the power of compound interest, differences between assets and liabilities, the risk of inflation and depreciation, they will naturally begin to act rightly. This is a general view though, and not gender based.

However, there is more to those ladies that live for the moments with little or no concern about tomorrow. Fact is, a lot of them will never bother about tomorrow as far as marriage with a money bag remains the focus.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 11, 2019
folake4u:

Alright then. Pardon my choice of word but the kain ladies una dey meet and the complaints from you guys always they baffle me sha.
I can only speak for myself tho, I'm not selfish at all smiley

Hahahahahahaha, why are my laughing?

Okay I believe you.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 3:02pm On Jan 11, 2019
Anfieldboss:

As if you don't already know

Lol of course I do know but that shouldn't be the case anyways. That was my point exactly
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 3:03pm On Jan 11, 2019
truthsayer009:

Hahahahahahaha, why are my laughing?
Okay I believe you.
grin grin No wahala
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by daveP(m): 10:33pm On Jan 11, 2019
folake4u:

Thank you very much for this!

I'm always tired when Nairaland men blame the ladies for their fortunes. They're not Siamese twins last I checked so if she's not willing to save,why not encourage her.
The bible is enough encouragement already. oh i forgot, the ratio of ladies that read the bible these days compared to men is low. tongue
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 10:40pm On Jan 11, 2019
daveP:
The bible is enough encouragement already. oh i forgot, the ratio of ladies that read the bible these days compared to men is low. tongue

Oya Dave come and be going biko grin grin.
But seriously, it ain't bad to encourage your partner to do the right thing.

Which men dey read Bible abeg
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by daveP(m): 10:50pm On Jan 11, 2019
folake4u:

Oya Dave come and be going biko grin grin.
But seriously, it ain't bad to encourage your partner to do the right thing.

Which men dey read Bible abeg
dia num plenty pass ladies. even if na songs of solomon dem dey meditate on always.

tongue grin
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by folake4u(f): 11:49pm On Jan 11, 2019
daveP:
dia num plenty pass ladies. even if na songs of solomon dem dey meditate on always.

tongue grin

Oga you're not serious oh tongue.
Songs of Solomon ke?! of all Bible chapters to read on.
grin grin.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Assist23: 4:10am On Jan 12, 2019
If you are planning to marry her then you both need a crash course in First year marriage basics, savings and family expenses is one of those issues we teach, it is not like normal marriage counseling this is very practical.

The training is very affordable. This is important so new couples can avoid first year marriage drama.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by zed7: 9:45am On Jan 12, 2019
pocohantas:

Beautiful, God bless you. It's not everything that is war of the sexes, most Nigerian girls are leeches. The first lady I met who actually told me how much she had as savings and how she invested over the years, encouraged me to save and trust me I married her and we've been married for over a decade and we've achieved things together.
The others before her were just "wire me money'. It's a shame the way majority of our young girls have become so materialistic.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by zed7: 9:50am On Jan 12, 2019
DonnyE:

Bros nice topic, but I am faced with same problem. What can I invest in like you did because I am not buying a car yet.
Put your money in treasury Bill's for a year if you have nothing concrete to do with the money while you figure out what to do with it.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by DonnyE(m): 11:52am On Jan 12, 2019
zed7:

Put your money in treasury Bill's for a year if you have nothing concrete to do with the money while you figure out what to do with it.
Thanks, I just did that, secondary market , 14.2%.But I need a real side hustle as source of second income.
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by justsmile(f): 10:34pm On Jan 12, 2019
truthsayer009:
Why is that the Average young single Nigerian lady in their 20s doesn't care to save for the future undecided undecided undecided

This is something I came to conclusion about all over the years, Girlfriends never ask you about how you save or try to make you courteous about spending money & all. They themselves don't even save that much, except those earning a huge salary, they prefer packaging themselves to look good, buying the latest wig/weavon rather than investing or saving money.

A lady would look so good & well packaged, using latest iPhone without 30k cash in her account, No savings at all. Nothing, no shii shii.

Late 2017, I had some money with me, I wanted to invest & also had an eye for a nice looking Car (I've had this in mind for a while now), was left in-between decisions. Every one of my Girlfriends were so excited & advised me to buy the car instead & Fvck investment (Well, they didn't really say it this way, but pretty much sums it up).

The only time the discussion of savings come is when marriage talks has entered, she will now accuse me that I haven't been saving.

Girl: "Ah Jide, what have you been doing with your money sinceeeee."
Me: Spending it on you obviously ¯\_(๑❛--❛๑)_/¯ Everytime you always want Pizza & coldstone ice cream with Special Toppings remember?

It seems to me that younger women in Nigeria specifically like the "perception of being Rich" rather than being actually Rich (Money in the bank itself).

Most young women don't save, they just spend & spend. Why?

Quit rolling with empty brained chicks.

Don't come and disturb us here over your poor choice in women. Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by lilmax(m): 10:50pm On Jan 12, 2019
see how women are fooling themselves here because they don't understand simple English.....
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by cococandy(f): 1:58am On Jan 13, 2019
She encouraged you to save. How many did you encourage to save?
zed7:

Beautiful, God bless you. It's not everything that is war of the sexes, most Nigerian girls are leeches. The first lady I met who actually told me how much she had as savings and how she invested over the years, encouraged me to save and trust me I married her and we've been married for over a decade and we've achieved things together.
The others before her were just "wire me money'. It's a shame the way majority of our young girls have become so materialistic.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Flattino(m): 2:02am On Jan 13, 2019
cococandy:
What’s your problem?
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by cococandy(f): 2:20am On Jan 13, 2019
Your inability to take initiative on your own to save instead you’re waiting for someone to encourage you before you begin. Meanwhile you’re not providing the same encouragement services. That’s my problem

We good?

Flattino:

What’s your problem?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by Flattino(m): 2:24am On Jan 13, 2019
cococandy:
Your inability to take initiative on your own to save instead you’re waiting for someone to encourage you before you begin. Meanwhile you’re not providing the same encouragement services. That’s my problem

We good?

Idk what you talking about angry
Re: Why Is That The Average Young Nigerian Lady Doesn't Care To Save For The Future? by zed7: 3:35am On Jan 13, 2019
cococandy:
Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Create a different thread and you'll be surprised at the stories I have to share.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help! Baobab Microfinance (formerly Microcred) Is Trying To Cheat Me! / Why Are Mothers Celebrated More Than Fathers? / Why Do Most Married Couples Dont Kiss In Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.