Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis (11376 Views)

Terry G Announces Retirement From Music / Ben Murray-Bruce, Ugochi Mitchell Ihezue And Stephanie Agbasi Pictured Together / Ben Murray-Bruce And Akon All Smiles As They Pose Together In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by sirlekzy: 6:13am On Jan 11, 2019
Andy Murray has announced he’s retiring from tennis after Wimbledon, due to an hip injury that has plagued him since 2017.

The 31-year-old made this known during an emotional press conference where he made it known that he still plans to take on the Australian Open but could walk away from tennis this month if his condition doesn’t improve.

At the press conference ahead of the Grand Slam, he started crying after telling everyone he wasn’t feeling great. He had to leave the room for several minutes so that he could calm down. He said;

“Obviously I have been struggling a long time and I have been in pain for about twenty months now.

“I’ve pretty much done everything that I could to try and get my hip feeling better and it hasn’t helped loads. I’m in a better place than I was six months ago but still in a lot of pain. It’s been tough.

“I’m going to play here. I can still play to a certain level, not a level I’m happy playing at. It’s not just that. The pain is too much really, I don’t want to continue playing that way.

“I’ve tried pretty much everything I could do but it hasn’t worked. In the middle of December I spoke to my team and told them I can’t keep doing this. I thought I needed to have an end point, because I was playing with no idea of when the pain was going to stop.

“I said to them maybe I could get through this until Wimbledon, that is where I would like to stop playing but I am also not certain I am able to do that.”

He said he’s in so much pain that he’s not enjoying the sport he loves. But not only is he afflicted with physical pain, but also the mental drain that comes with it. He added:

“Everyone I bump into that’s all they want to talk about [his health], it’s pretty draining. I have spoken to psychologists about it. It’s not fun or enjoyable.”

Murray walk away from tennis with two Wimbledon wins, a US Open title and two Olympic gold medals.

Source: https://www.gistkit.com/entertainment/andy-murray-announces-retirement-from-tennis/

2 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by geezynoni: 6:27am On Jan 11, 2019
Eeyah

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:27am On Jan 11, 2019
You've done well for yourself ..

I hope Buhari do the same due to old age, ill health and many failures .

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by helinues: 6:27am On Jan 11, 2019
You have really done well and made the game of tennis more interesting

Respect

4 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Rekyz(m): 6:28am On Jan 11, 2019
Why so early. I'll miss the watching this guy compete with Federer and Nadal

11 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Mustos: 6:28am On Jan 11, 2019
Na wa o

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by otabuko(m): 6:29am On Jan 11, 2019
You haff tey for tennis sha. All the best in other adventures.

2 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:29am On Jan 11, 2019
#RESPECT to one of the greatest athlete of all time

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by johnmba: 6:29am On Jan 11, 2019
Congratulations bro.

Injury ehh

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by hpmoney(m): 6:29am On Jan 11, 2019
Andy Murray hero of his time

2 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by IamPatriotic(m): 6:31am On Jan 11, 2019
samsonfixedmatc:
Read below it

Dirty criminal, go and take care of your fingernails.

2 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by JohnFrankling(m): 6:32am On Jan 11, 2019
Great man, bubu your turn next.
Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Eliteklaus(m): 6:32am On Jan 11, 2019
My world number 1, good bye. I love the way you fought your to the number one spot in 2016-17, it was inspiring

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by DEBUCHMANNY: 6:32am On Jan 11, 2019
very touching and what a great way to retire. some of us in mid 30's are still struggling to find our feet while others are retiring at 31. Enjoy the rest of your fruitful years Murray

6 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by IamPatriotic(m): 6:33am On Jan 11, 2019
He should retire into politics, he can lead the Scottish Independent Party and emacipate them from the shackles of England

3 Likes

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by johnmba: 6:35am On Jan 11, 2019
IamPatriotic:

Dirty criminal, go and take care of your fingernails.

Even his dirty jeans

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by OLAFIMIX(f): 6:35am On Jan 11, 2019
Good day house, pls can any one help with a self contain or mini-flat at Jakande Estate / iyana isheri at Isolo axis to rent. I don't have money for agent palava. Thanks
Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Ayoswit(f): 6:36am On Jan 11, 2019
We are also going to retire a certain old man back to his village in daura next month.

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by lonelydora: 6:38am On Jan 11, 2019
We will miss you, Andy nwa mama
Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Fossil: 6:38am On Jan 11, 2019
Murray you don try, no one last forever, it's time to throw in the towel
Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by logon599: 6:38am On Jan 11, 2019
Wow. A legend of the game, and a fine gentleman on and off the court.

Cheap professional Architectural designs? See my signature below or checkout my profile. Thanks

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by evansjeff(m): 6:39am On Jan 11, 2019
a great player
Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Saheed9: 6:44am On Jan 11, 2019
Eeyah, British No 1

1 Like

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by 11doubledee: 6:48am On Jan 11, 2019
All these british biscuits,retiring early due to chronic injuries just like Tim Henman.
Still would miss u though.
Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement From Tennis by Rextizzle(m): 6:49am On Jan 11, 2019
He deserves the best

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dencia Launches 'Darklicious' Cream / PHOTO: Tiwa Savage's New Look Cutie / Ayra Starr Confirmed She Is A Lesbian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.