Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

My Botched Interview Story - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Botched Interview Story (846 Views)

What Next After You Realized You Botched A Job Interview? / My Lackluster Interview Story / 2,226 Graduate Policemen Protest Against Botched Promotion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Botched Interview Story by abdeiz(m): 7:27am On Jan 12, 2019
As getting a good job is hard, interviews become a scarce commodity like the holy grail.

Last year I had two interviews I blame thyself for sabotaging. The first was a phone interview, my phone fell that day and the mouthpiece was bad so I had to raise my voice before I could be heard. The interviewer claimed I was arrogant and disrespectful. Opportunity dissipated away. #sigh

The second I blamed myself for being too truthful. ..I was overly honest about my qualifications and even watered down some aspects of my abilities because I hated doing it. Never got even a regret mail ever.

And just recently I may have done it again. ...was even given an offer but somehow I managed to screw it up because I asked more questions about the job...it may not be my fault but it's getting annoying.

Does one has to start lying and please the interviewers at all cost? isn't this a bad sign already that people are ready to demean you before giving you a job?
Re: My Botched Interview Story by annex1: 8:31am On Jan 12, 2019
1. After salutations and introductions. Before the commencement of phone interviews, because it is impromptu, you are usually asked if the time is convenient for you. I believe you replied in the affirmative. Next time however, when you realise a technical problem, kindly request for some extra minutes to sort (borrow or use another phone or whatever technicality as the case may be) yourself. It is different from a sit in interview because in the latter, it is expected that you came prepared.

2. Whatever "being too honest about my qualification" means, everybody, I repeat everybody would love to brandish all his relevant qualifications when being interviewed for a job. Except you are desperate and the job requires a degree lot less than yours. Nevertheless, most candidates will still present their best qualification to distinguish them. Well like I said; whatever your "being too honest about your qualification" means.

3. You understood the job role. You understood skills required to excel in the job role. What "abilities" in particular did you purposely hide and for what reason did you not emphasize on it?
You hated doing it because they were not professional skills/abilities? If they weren't relevant to the job role, why do feel bad about not mentioning them?
This again, Does not make any sense.

4. Asking plenty "relevant" questions concerning a job is not detrimental to your being employed. In fact it explains how inquisitive and mentally sharp you are and this includes salary negotiations. Remember I said "relevant".

5. And No. It is (not) a bad thing to lie to interviewers. Except if the fib is about a particular place you worked (which you didn't), Age (which you can't prove) Educational qualification (which you don't have) or a Certification (which you don't have and "not in view"wink.

As for other (lie(s)) things; say you mentioned a particular role or responsibility which you did not do; However, mentioning it improves your candidacy for the interviewed job, be ready to defend and know every single bit of it. Which isn't a tard difficult if you are mentally sharp and able to use google properly.

Summarily, you might think you have written a lot or explained a problem. You haven't really, because most of the things you wrote are vague, snowy and without much end.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Botched Interview Story by abdeiz(m): 8:41am On Jan 12, 2019
@annex1 thanks, this exactly the kind of constructive criticism I needed. I know some parts don't make sense but it was intentional.

I'd take all suggestions into advisement.
Re: My Botched Interview Story by futuregovernor: 1:41pm On Jan 12, 2019
Call 08068029135
Re: My Botched Interview Story by abdeiz(m): 2:25pm On Jan 12, 2019
futuregovernor:
Call 08068029135

Is this for me?

(1) (Reply)

You can make a six figure monthly income on Bookkeeper / Nnpc Invite Message / NNPC 2019 Recruitment Cbt Examination: How To Print Your CBT Invitation Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.