Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

My Advice To Nigerian Students During This ASUU Strike – Get Useful! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Advice To Nigerian Students During This ASUU Strike – Get Useful! (814 Views)

Viral Question Unibadan Lecturer Asked His Students During Examinations / University Of Calabar Lecturer Gives Coke To His Students During Lecture / Different Students During Their Final Year Project (Hilarious Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Advice To Nigerian Students During This ASUU Strike – Get Useful! by KOKOHANDS: 9:22am On Jan 12, 2019
My advice to Students during this ASUU strike is to find something useful to do with their lives as Schooling is no guarantee for success in life.

ASUU strike is not new to Nigeria. When I was in school, this strike lasted for 6 months on a stretch or thereabout, not mentioning the others in-between and other turmoil which made us all have a COMPULSORY 1-year extension to our stay in School, not as if we had Extra year from academic mishap caused by us! No, it was things like this.

But while in school and while the strike lasted, I was useful to myself. I brushed up my skills and invested heavily in business within those 5 years. Today, I am not disappointed in myself because I can comfortably feed myself and do other basic things with my skills NOT because of my B. Eng. Degree in Computer Engineering but something completely unrelated to what I studied as a course in school.

So, here is the catch students... stop thinking that your success in life is tied to ASUU, schooling or earning a certificate. Rather, WAKE UP, and SIT UP!

In fact, forget about school!

Schooling in Nigeria to a large extent is a fuggin waste of time, I tell you.

The irony of it is that a majority (over 99.9%) of those with whom I went to school with ARE NOT FEEDING on their degrees in the real sense of the word, Career!

Out of this percentage, a good number are still looking up to their parents for pocket money, clothing and money for Recharge Card!

What a disappointment!

So, after we graduated, I find Law graduates turning bloggers, engineering graduates working as "politicians", Mass Comm. students becoming Classroom teachers, Pharmacy students working in banks, etc. A long list of these folks are now into Ponzi schemes, click to earn programmes (which is not bad anyway, as a side income and not fulltime job), scamming (too bad), Yahoo plus, etc.

So, the question, therefore, remains, what did these folks waste 4-5 good years (plus extra years), for?

Please, if you're a student listening to or reading this now, hear this.... our leaders don't wish us well!

They have watered down the curriculum or worst still sustained outdated stuff in the curriculum so that we cannot be SELF-RELIANT after schooling!;

They have allowed Greed to beguile them (ASUU vs. Federal Government); everyone wants to drive Prado Jeep and live in Banana Island;

They have recruited incompetent folks to man lecture venues and classrooms as lecturers and teachers;

They have allowed examination and other malpractices to become a trademark and/or the order of the day in the education system in the country from the primary to the tertiary level;

Youths, let's not repeat the mistakes of our non-enlightened elders who believe that schooling is a sine qua none to prosperity and success in life.

Yet, time and history have shown that that is far from the truth. Schooling without education is a watse of time! Don't allow ASUU make you feel that your destiny depends on Schooling which is what is practiced in most Nigerian school, and NOT education!

Discussing the problem without stating the solution is as bad as taking you to the cliff of a mountain and asking you to jump off by yourself without any guide.

So, the solutions are simple:

1. Ask yourself this: WHAT CAN I REALLY DO? WHAT AM I REALLY BEST AT?

2. When you are able to settle with yourself what you can do which is your dream, look for how to build it into a SALEABLE PRODUCT.

To achieve this, you can do the following:

1. go for training. There are lots of free training you can enroll online or offline. Sometimes, you have to pay for these training and these usually don't cost so much. Gather that money you use for fruitless dressing, partying, drinking, smoking or chasing girls and use it to brush up your skills

3. Brand and position yourself.

4. Market!
The funny thing is that you can learn all these for almost free online. All you need is internet subscription data and seriousness. When there is a will, there certainly will be a way out. It’s all about the mindset.

I am Ekemini Ekpo (a.k.a Mr. KOKOHANDS). I am that guy who paid his fees, funds his bills, and still feeds from writing and other relevant ICT skills. I believe this guide which could have fetched me some few $$ if published on some top sites will help you.

Stay blessed.

Source: the source of this post is my facebook timeline which you can find here: https://www.facebook.com/ekemini.ekpo/posts/2154393101285531

2 Likes

Re: My Advice To Nigerian Students During This ASUU Strike – Get Useful! by Preetti(f): 9:33am On Jan 12, 2019
Already working.
Re: My Advice To Nigerian Students During This ASUU Strike – Get Useful! by KOKOHANDS: 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2019
And that's a good thing to do. Keep it up.
Preetti:
Already working.

(1) (Reply)

(GST 121) Book Review On Metaphors Of God / At What Point Did The English Language Get You Logically Confused Or Irritated? / 12 Ways To Pass JAMB 2020 Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.