Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. (39364 Views)

Which Old Muscian Do You Remember When Listening To The Present One / Ask Dbanj To Recognise This Miracle In His Oliver Twist Competition! / Who Is Ur Best Muscian In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by baslone: 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2010
2baba all the way!
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by MissyB1(m): 12:41pm On Aug 12, 2010
Tubaba!!! grin kiss
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 12, 2010
IT FUNNY WHEN PEOPLE JUT POST HERE.

THE QUESTION IS Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World.?

NOT VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE ARTISTE

GIVE US SOME PROVE EVEN IF IT IS 2face we need to know how he is?
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2010
seal, sade, femi kuti, nneka
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by instinctg(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2010
bufflevy read my mind.got it spot on
u there not list seal,sade ,tunde(of lighthouse family). especially seal and sade who ve both gotten a couple of grammys between them.
lemar too should be on that list
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2010
seal
sade adu
fela
chamillionaire
akinyele
wale
jadakiss
dizzie rascal
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by AloyEmeka5: 1:22pm On Aug 12, 2010
bufflevy:

(listed not in order of ranking)
1.Sade
2.Tinnie tempah
3.Dr Alban
4.Tunde Baiyewu (lighthouse family)
5.Chamillonaire
5.Seal
6.Nneka
7.Femi Kuti
8.P square
9. 2 Face
10.Fela Kuti
This are the top ten most popular Nigerian artists
Chamillionaire, Sade and Seal are not Nigerian musicians. Because someone has Nigerian lineage doesn't make them automatic Nigerians. Does Chamillionaire have Nigerian passport and even if he applies for it, will it be issued to him?
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 1:30pm On Aug 12, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Chamillionaire, Sade and Seal are not Nigerian musicians. Because someone has Nigerian lineage doesn't make them automatic Nigerians. Does Chamillionaire have Nigerian passport and even if he applies for it, will it be issued to him?
nigerian descent automatically makes you nigerian. if chamillionaire wants a nigerian passport his daddy CHIEF SERIKI has to go to the nigerian embassy and tell them he wants a passport for his son. it will be issued with no wahala albeit he has to grease a few palms to speed up the process  grin and sade adus father was a lecturer at unilag until he died. you dont get any more nigerian that that and the difference between seal and the thousands of nigerians who were born in britain in the sixties and seventies is that most of them went back to nigeria for a few years for secondary school and some even university before fleeing back to britain. seal on the other hand was one of the few who never went to nigeria at all. but does that make him any less nigerian ? all those who went home for a few years, is that what makes them nigerian ? so if seal decides to move to nigeria for 3 years will you approve him as a nigerian ?
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by VUVUZELA10: 1:56pm On Aug 12, 2010
The Godfather--FELA, SUNNY ADE and UWAIFO. Evergreen, thoughtful, rational and philosophical.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Pukkah: 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2010
fela
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2010
@ alyo-emeka what makes a person a nigerian?
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by warripekin(m): 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2010
Fela should be number one on the list. He was on broadway recently and the turn-out was wow!  People of all races easily connect with his music. The play FELA was a huge success with large turn out and also garnered so many award nominations.
But if you talk of contemporary Nigerian artist, Then P-square, Asa, Nneka , Tuface are leading the pack at least CNN did a report on each of them with the exception of Tubaba though he was mentioned in one of their reports. Psquare is very very popular in Africa and I hear their recent US tour was a success with girls(especially oyibos) at the shows acting like groupie at least I got to hear that from some one who attended their show in oakland.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Macaulish(m): 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2010
When we discuss about this subject-matter, Nigerians should cast their minds back to the era of the undisputed King of Afrobeat whose style of music is traditionally pertinent to the cultures, customs and ethics of the African Society. The world and Encyclopeadia adjudged African most popular and recognised musician all over the World. He traveled all over the Europe and Worldwide showcasing African Society Xteristics to the whole world.

His name is late Fela Anikulapo Kuti. aka ABAMI EDA

and next to him in awe comparison is

The King of Juju, His Majesty, King Sunny Ade

Majek Fashek, IK Dairo, Seun Kuti, in this order.

don't mention 2Face at all or other rap stars, they don't really portray African Culture, they tend to blend to Western styles of music.

Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by fred4alabi(m): 3:01pm On Aug 12, 2010
, all these small children, see them mentioning musicians of their age.

i think the most recognised musicians are either dead or retired.

for those small children, think of music you dad could buy from work and you all as a family can listen and dance to it. if there is such music, that muscian should be great and should be the most recognised in the world. unless your father is very young too.

or any Nigerian musician that has been nominated for grammy award or had won it.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by kachijack(m): 3:05pm On Aug 12, 2010
Fela Happened to be the most known Nigerian musician for his songs.
going by Awards Tuface is more recognized of the current breed followed by P-Square where it has to do with 9ja domiciled artiste.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by DoubleN(m): 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2010
Yes O!!The Late Abami Eda!!!How many people get to have a broadway stage play about their lives?
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by shadrach77: 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2010
king sunny ade
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by baslone: 4:40pm On Aug 12, 2010
fred4alabi:

,  all these small children, see them mentioning musicians of their age.

or any Nigerian musician that has been nominated for grammy award or had won it.

So your yardstick is the Grammy?  grin

My music is aggressive. So I'm subjected to different things,
right. And my first record sold over 11million copies. My music
performed better than everyone else's 'cos I actually put myself
into every song and won ASCAP Writer Of The Year.

I had six number one records off the same album. That trophy is
much more important to me 'cos it's based on the actual performance
of the record.

The Grammy, to me, is a lot of politics and stuff!!- 50Cents

And that is a fact!!
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by amaureece: 5:01pm On Aug 12, 2010
"Most recognised" The topic says

King Sunny Ade
FELA
Lagbaja
-----------------------
Tuface
Asa
Nneka
-----------------------

(In Africa)
P Square
D'Banj
9ice
M.I

You just have to agree with this list, grin
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Yinkaboy: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2010
MOST RECOGNISED globally - well Nigerian artists are more diverse than we think.

The top of this list goes:Seal, Lenny Kravitz, Fele and Femi Kuti, Sade, Nneka, Sunny Ade,or ASa, little wayne.

REASONS WHY:

Grammies we have Seal, kravitz, and Sade.

Tuface, P-square,D`banj, 9ice and the rest are not global, domestic africa, there albums are not used in hollywood movie tracks. As for rap Little Wayne sells more.
Fele has a New York broadway musical based on him, his music was used to open the world cup! Everyone bows down to Fele and Ade.

If you walk into a music store in Paris, Rome,  london, or NYC, you more like to find stuff by Femi Kuti than D`banj and the rest of the young naija rappers.

Nneka is touring with Nas and common in America, is the best selling Nigeria artist in France ad Germany, Asa has been used on oprah. Seal is the most commercial, one of his songs was used for batman, has also sold the most albums, and is wealthiest, and better known in Europe and America.

Sade-Omo Ibadan, born and raised, her brothers family stilll lives there.

Yes, Lenny Kravitz, his mum was Nigerian, holds a nigerian passport, he got into trouble allot as a teenager in NYC, she had enough grin, sent him home to Surelere, Lagos, were he was schooled by his granparents.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Pafuri(m): 5:51pm On Aug 12, 2010
Ah, the difficulty of the english language! They ask for the MOST recognise(d) Nigeria(n) musician in the world, and people present a list. Could there be more than one 'most'?

MANY
MORE
MOST.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Redman44(m): 6:08pm On Aug 12, 2010
This is a thread I am really interested in. As a music blogger, I've come to realize that it is very difficult to point out the most recognized Nigerian Musician. People have different tastes when it comes to music and they'll probably like the Nigerian Artiste that plays the genre of music they love. I've seen Nairalanders coming up with names like Seal, Sade Adu, Tunde Baiyewu etc. Yeah, Tunde Baiyewu was the vocalist for the Lighthouse Family [ Paul Tucker was a good composer and instrumentalist ] and the band was popular in the UK. However, Lighthouse Family only got to Number One on the Music Charts in Australia. The band remains popular though. Fela Anikulapo Kuti is also very popular in the Western World. He tends to have followers among Europeans and Americans who are in their late 40's and early 50's. Asa, Nneka and Ayo Ogunmakin are also adored by people all over the world. I want to be candid here, mates. The most popular and most recognized Nigerian Musician alive is Sade Adu.

Her name is Sade Adu. Go and do your research. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Yinkaboy: 6:19pm On Aug 12, 2010
@redman44 Lenny kravitz, and seal have sold more than sade!

Doing a search on stories its SEAL, seal and his supermodel  grin wife everywhere.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 7:04pm On Aug 12, 2010
all these people mentioning tuface, p square, nneka, dbanj, 9ice etc etc. these people you are mentioning only cater to niche markets. niche markets like nigerians and nigerians abroad. if you go to these guys concert in america, most of the audience is nigerians. the few oyinbos you will see are probably dating nigerian men or women, or have lived in nigeria before or have nigerian friends in college. apart from that nobody knows any of them. ask the average american who nneka, tuface, 9ice, femi kuti , p square etc etc are and they will look at you in confusion. STOP MENTIONING LOCAL CHAMPIONS WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE MOST RECOGNIZED NIGERIANS. shyttt i didnt even know who nneka was till now. she serves the neo-soul niche market

Nigerians who are on every bodys lips all over the world irregardless of race, creed, color, religious background, nationality are

sade (legend status worldwide)

seal ( he is on the legend status worldwide. he and sting are at the level where even if they cough into a mic and call it music people will still buy it and marvel at its artistry)

fela (baddest rudebwoy to eva do it in nigeria. artistes such as damon albarn, roy ayers, isaac hayes, consider fela an idol )

chamillionaire (his resume speaks for itself)

jadakiss of the locs ( one of the baddest rappers in america and all over the world in the nineties)

wale (his song with lady gaga went gazillion platinum and tens of millions of hit on youtube)

dizzie rascal ( has conquered the uk with his brand of music and is conquering america. house hold name in england )
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Yinkaboy: 7:28pm On Aug 12, 2010
buzguee

Nneka is not a local champion, she not be big in the UK, but she is with touring Nas, Talib, and Common state side. Sold tons of albums in the US, Germany, and France.

Dizee Rascal is ghanian, accra born an raised till 12. embarassed

Again, short list those who actual sold albums over 1 million  Lenny Kravitz, Sade, Seal, Nneka, Asa,

Tuface, d`banj, and 9ice are second tier domestic
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Meldrick(m): 7:30pm On Aug 12, 2010
Ah Ah What a question?

of course, Tuface Idibia
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2010
As it stands right now the most recognised Nigerian artiste as a Nigerian (not all those "foreigners" like Kravitz, Sade, Seal etc) is Fela. Anyone else is just deceiving themselves. Fela has a broadway play made after his life sponsored by Jay-z And Will & Jada Pinkett-Smith. Google it.

Honorable mentions must be extended to other people repping Nigeria in order of popularity (still no "foreigners"are in my list):
Femi Kuti (Nominated for a Grammy)
Nneka (The remix of her hit song "heartbreak" features Nas)
Wale
2face Idibia
Asa
P-Square
D'Banj (Mo'Hits esp. Wande Coal)
M.I
9ice
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2010
Yinkaboy:

buzguee

Nneka is not a local champion, she not be big in the UK, but she is with touring Nas, Talib, and Common state side. Sold tons of albums in the US, Germany, and France.

Dizee Rascal is ghanian, accra born an raised till 12. embarassed
dizzie rascal is half nigerian and half ghanaian

and nneka is a local champion. she is touring with common, talib and nas not because she is big but because they are trying to introduce her to the american audience but americans aint buying it. americans (the ones who buy music, the whites one that is, only have a certain number of slots for black female artists that they adore and the slots are filled up by beyonce and alicia keyes. even people like kerry hilson are struggling.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Yinkaboy: 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2010
Lenny grew up in lagos, how can he be foreign? Has a nigerian mother?

Sade born in Ibadan, dad taught at Unilag, brother lives in lagos.

Nneka and Asa raised in Lagos
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2010
you guys are bullshytting about lenny kravitz. his mum is black american. she is the black woman who is married to that white man in the jeffersons. she is originally from the BAHAMAS. all you lyin azz nigerians . this is her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxie_Roker grin
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2010
As far as a "foreigners" list goes:
Sade
Lenny Kravitz
Seal
Lighthouse family
Nas
Taio Cruz
Lemar
Dizzee
Chamillionaire
and the hundreds of other musicians we don't even realise are Nigerian, after all, Banky w, Saucekid, Eldee, Ikechuckwu, Iceberg Slim etc ran back from America ,
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Yinkaboy: 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2010
Nneka, -letterman as main stream american as it ! d`banj and 9ice are not even selling album mumber globally like her, busgee just because you don`t know who she is the world does.

In January of 2010, Nneka appeared in Late Show with David Letterman in New York before getting her US tour underway.

Dizee is half nigerian, is blowing up and has a clothing line with jay-z. Sade omo ibadan is also huge.

There allot of singers and artists out there that have worked overseas or grown up, who are nigerian. It depends on the market, the domestic nigerian market versus the global, rap versus soul.

Fele and Ade were global, tuface, bank-w, and 9ice are not going on OPRAH, or winning grammies,are SEAL, SADE!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vector Tha Viper On Def Jam Africa Label / 9 Songs By Secular Artistes That Could Pass For Gospel Songs.(pics) / [VIDEO] Timaya – ''I Like The Way''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.