Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,997 members, 7,814,404 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. (39369 Views)

Which Old Muscian Do You Remember When Listening To The Present One / Ask Dbanj To Recognise This Miracle In His Oliver Twist Competition! / Who Is Ur Best Muscian In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by tekajibril(m): 7:43pm On Aug 12, 2010
Yinkaboy:

MOST RECOGNISED globally - well Nigerian artists are more diverse than we think.

The top of this list goes:Seal, Lenny Kravitz, Fele and Femi Kuti, Sade, Nneka, Sunny Ade,or ASa, little wayne.

REASONS WHY:

Grammies we have Seal, kravitz, and Sade.

Tuface, P-square,D`banj, 9ice and the rest are not global, domestic africa, there albums are not used in hollywood movie tracks. As for rap Little Wayne sells more.
Fele has a New York broadway musical based on him, his music was used to open the world cup! Everyone bows down to Fele and Ade.

If you walk into a music store in Paris, Rome,  london, or NYC, you more like to find stuff by Femi Kuti than D`banj and the rest of the young naija rappers.

Nneka is touring with Nas and common in America, is the best selling Nigeria artist in France ad Germany, Asa has been used on oprah. Seal is the most commercial, one of his songs was used for batman, has also sold the most albums, and is wealthiest, and better known in Europe and America.

Sade-Omo Ibadan, born and raised, her brothers family stilll lives there.

Yes, Lenny Kravitz, his mum was Nigerian, holds a nigerian passport, he got into trouble allot as a teenager in NYC, she had enough grin, sent him home to Surelere, Lagos, were he was schooled by his granparents.
Lenny Kravitz is not Nigerian joor. Kravitz was born in New York City, New York on May 26, 1964, the son of Roxie Roker, an actress known for her character Helen Willis in the 1970s hit television sitcom The Jeffersons, and Sy Kravitz, an ABC television news producer. Kravitz's father was of Russian descent from Kiev[1] and his mother was of Bahamian descent. Kravitz was named after his uncle, PFC Leonard Kravitz, who was killed in action on March 6, 1951 near Yangpyeong, Korea at the age of 20. Prove me wrong!!

Yinkaboy:

buzguee

Dizee Rascal is ghanian, accra born an raised till 12. embarassed

Again, short list those who actual sold albums over 1 million  Lenny Kravitz, Sade, Seal, Nneka, Asa,

Dizzie is Half Nigerian Half Ghanian.

buzugee link=topic=495593.msg6562984#msg6562984 date=1281636269:

all these people mentioning tuface, p square, nneka, dbanj, 9ice etc etc. these people you are mentioning only cater to niche markets. niche markets like nigerians and nigerians abroad. if you go to these guys concert in america, most of the audience is nigerians. the few oyinbos you will see are probably dating nigerian men or women, or have lived in nigeria before or have nigerian friends in college. apart from that nobody knows any of them. ask the average american who nneka, tuface, 9ice, femi kuti , p square etc etc are and they will look at you in confusion. STOP MENTIONING LOCAL CHAMPIONS WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE MOST RECOGNIZED NIGERIANS. shyttt i didnt even know who nneka was till now. she serves the neo-soul niche market

Tuface, d`banj, and 9ice are second tier domestic

Nneka is a Huge Star outside Africa, she tours round the world, and she's a hit with white ppl more, She and K'naan r one of the only ppl to kick it at the Marley's Jamaica home . She is signed to Sony, Drake just illegally-sampled her song on one of his new jams. Do ur research well. And you must be a dumb manatee for putting Femi Kuti and Nneka on the same calibre with them dudes. Quit listening to Saeed Osupa and watch CNN or sumth.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2010
Yinkaboy:

Nneka, -letterman as main stream american as it ! d`banj and 9ice are not even selling album mumber globally like her.

In January of 2010, Nneka appeared in Late Show with David Letterman in New York before getting her US tour underway.

Dizee is half nigerian, but Lenny is bigger!
lenny is half bahamian not nigerian. get it right
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2010
@Yinkaboy

What matters is if you ask the artiste "Where are you from?" and the reply is "Nigeria" everyone on my most recognised list above would have said "Nigeria" except Wale but he acknowledges Nigeria and is trying to rep by sticking to his native name and making songs like "mY sweetie" and remixing "Kini big deal". Seal would say he's British as well as Sade and Kravitz would say he was American along with Chamillionaire. Taio Cruz is half Brazilian half Nigerian but still says he's British as well as Dizzee etc
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Redman44(m): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2010
@Yinka boy,

Selling more albums does not make you more recognized than some other artistes. I still believe Sade Adu is the most recognized Nigerian Musician nowadays. It will take some time for Nneka to achieve the status of Sade on the world music scene.  All her albums are classics. When I ask many whites down here if they know Sade Adu, they answer in the affirmative most times. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 7:48pm On Aug 12, 2010
Sade is british not Nigerian. People get it right. Sade would never say she is Nigerian, she would say she's British. All she will admit to is being born in Nigeria! however, that's it.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by makajibbz(m): 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2010
ice_zik:

@Yinkaboy

What matters is if you ask the artiste "Where are you from?" and the reply is "Nigeria" everyone on my most recognised list above would have said "Nigeria" except Wale but he acknowledges Nigeria and is trying to rep by sticking to his native name and making songs like "mY sweetie" and remixing "Kini big deal". Seal would say he's British as well as Sade and Kravitz would say he was American along with Chamillionaire. Taio Cruz is half Brazilian half Nigerian but still says he's British as well as Dizzee etc
truth. wink
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Yinkaboy: 7:53pm On Aug 12, 2010
Sade was born in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria.[2] Her middle name, Folasade, means honour confers your crown.[3] Her parents, Bisi Adu, a Nigerian lecturer in economics of Yoruba background, at UNILAG
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by tekajibril(m): 7:53pm On Aug 12, 2010
Since Errbody is mention Jada, Chamillionaire and the rest of the with Nigerian parents, Y hasnt anybody talked bout Taio Cruz? Those Negroes dont want to have anything to do with 9ja. They claim to be either American or British. So, they aint. The only Nigerian among them current American artists is Wale.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 7:53pm On Aug 12, 2010
Redman44:

@Yinka boy,

Selling more albums does not make you more recognized than some other artistes. I still believe Sade Adu is the most recognized Nigerian Musician nowadays. It will take some time for Nneka to achieve the status of Sade on the world music scene.  All her albums are classics. When I ask many whites down here if they know Sade Adu, they answer in the affirmative most times. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
sade is a legend. i dont think that is in dispute. i think it is a close tie between her and seal for the most recognized nigerian. i think the edge goes to seal because he is always in the news in america and always in tabloids with his wife and kids while sade is living a solitary lifestyle and is not written about. i think it is fair to say that most people under the age of 10 do not know who sade is but they all know who seal is, thanks to his supermodel wife
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2010
Again for those that missed it the most recognised Nigerian artites that would say they are from Nigeria are the people below
:
Femi Kuti (Nominated for a Grammy)
Nneka (The remix of her hit song "heartbreak" features Nas)
Wale
2face Idibia
Asa
Lagbaja
P-Square
D'Banj (Mo'Hits esp. Wande Coal)
M.I
9ice
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2010
ice_zik:

Sade is british not Nigerian. People get it right. Sade would never say she is Nigerian, she would say she's British. All she will admit to is being born in Nigeria! however, that's it.
it is not what you admit to. it is what you are.
i can say i am a billionaire but the fact remains that i am not grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2010
@Yinkaboy and buzugee

Is there something wrong with your understanding of english? sade is not a Nigerian neither is Seal, they are British. They would never say they are Nigerian, all they will say is that they had Nigerian parents or were born in Nigeria but they are now British. Look at Gabriel Agbolanhor, Carlton Cole and Nedum Onouha in football if you don't understand what I mean. Those guys would never admit to being Nigerian and would say they are British. Same as Taio Cruz, Chamillionaire, Lemar, Lighthouse family, Jadakiss etc. A nigerian is someone that admits they are from Nigeria. Don't go trying to steal the glory of Sade and Seal be proud of Fela, Femi Kuti, Nnkea, 2face, 9ice, Wale, Dbanj', P-square etc
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by makajibbz(m): 8:02pm On Aug 12, 2010
buzugee:

it is not what you admit to. it is what you are.
i can say i am a billionaire but the fact remains that i am not grin
nowadays, passport is everything.

a village farmer who's been farming in village all his life can say he's from china.
so far he has d passport, he is chinese. wink
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2010
ice_zik:

@Yinkaboy and buzugee

Is there something wrong with your understanding of english? sade is not a Nigerian neither is Seal, they are British. They would never say they are Nigerian, all they will say is that they had Nigerian parents or were born in Nigeria but they are now British. Look at Gabriel Agbolanhor, Carlton Cole and Nedum Onouha in football if you don't understand what I mean. Those guys would never admit to being Nigerian and would say they are British. Same as Taio Cruz, Chamillionaire, Lemar, Lighthouse family, Jadakiss etc. A nigerian is someone that admits they are from Nigeria. Don't go trying to steal the glory of Sade and Seal be proud of Fela, Femi Kuti, Nnkea, 2face, 9ice, Wale, Dbanj', P-square etc
i think the bigger question here is, is there something wrong with your 'common sense' level ? dude, when it comes to nationality you dont get to pick and chose. you are or you are not. ok, it does not matter what you claim to be or not, the fact remains that this is all documented. like i said in my analogy, i can claim to be from britain (which technically i am because i was born there ) but the fact still remains that my heritage is nigerian. gerrit ? you cant hide from yourself no matter how you try. it is what it is
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 8:06pm On Aug 12, 2010
makajibbz:

a village farmer who's been farming in village all his life can say he's from china.

I agree. Make Seal, Sade, Kravitz, Chamillioniare, Jadakiss, Taio Cruz etc produce their Naija passport make we see ,
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 8:08pm On Aug 12, 2010
makajibbz:

yes but does he look chinese ? or is he a black farmer from an african village with a chinese passport ? you cant hide from yourself bruh. your heritage is written on your face like a stamp of honor
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Ibomade1: 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2010
King Sunny Ade
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by icezik1(m): 8:14pm On Aug 12, 2010
buzugee:

i think the bigger question here is, is there something wrong with your 'common sense' level ? dude, when it comes to nationality you dont get to pick and chose. you are or you are not. ok, it does not matter what you claim to be or not, the fact remains that this is all documented. like i said in my analogy, i can claim to be from britain (which technically i am because i was born there ) but the fact still remains that my heritage is nigerian. gerrit ? you cant hide from yourself no matter how you try. it is what it is

Don't get me wrong. I'm not stupid. The topic (or question) is "who is the most recognised Nigerian Musician in the World?" If you ask a random guy in America, China, or Britain where Seal or Sade Adu are from, the instant answer is Britain. Therefore, they cannot be the most recognised "Nigerian" Musician. I completely agree that Sade, Seal, Taio Cruz, chamillionaire etc have Nigerian Heritage and I usually even boast about it to my foreign friends. They are originally from Nigeria. That is the truth. But are they reconised as Nigerian? No.

So before you throw insults around, try to understand the concept of "Most recognised Nigerian Musician".

On a side note, Wale is recognised as American but he would readily admit to being from Nigeria and regularly talks about Nigeria and how he loves his heritage. Seal and sade do not do this and therefore do not appreciate being from Nigeria. If you ask me, I say **** them. Let's support the real Nigerians.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by tlops(m): 8:15pm On Aug 12, 2010
ksa,
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2010
ice_zik:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not silly. The topic (or question) is "who is the most recognised Nigerian Musician in the World?" If you ask a random guy in America, China, or Britain where Seal or Sade Adu are from, the instant answer is Britain. Therefore, they cannot be the most recognised "Nigerian" Musician. I completely agree that Sade, Seal, Taio Cruz, chamillionaire etc have Nigerian Heritage and I usually even boast about it to my foreign friends. They are originally from Nigeria. That is the truth. But are they reconised as Nigerian? No.

So before you throw insults around, try to understand the concept of "Most recognised Nigerian Musician".

On a side note, Wale is recognised as American but he would readily admit to being from Nigeria and regularly talks about Nigeria and how he loves his heritage. Seal and sade do not do this and therefore do not appreciate being from Nigeria. If you ask me, I say **** them. Let's support the real Nigerians.
this is where you are going off tangent. this question is directed in this forum to us nigerians in the forum. the question is not 'who is the most famous musician that the world can tell is of nigerian heritage'we nigerians, know who is part off us irrespective of place of birth because we go by heritage. ok it all balls down to heritage not nationality. so the question is not directed at some random white guys. it is directed to nigerians to recognize who amongst us is the most recognizable in the world.

let me give you another analogy. this guy in the matrix was born in nigeria ibadan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Weaving but if he happens to be a very famous musician, i would not add him to the list of most recognizable nigerians because even though he is technically nigerian, his heritage is british.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by makajibbz(m): 8:29pm On Aug 12, 2010
buzugee:

yes but does he look chinese ? or is he a black farmer from an african village with a chinese passport ? you cant hide from yourself bruh. your heritage is written on your face like a stamp of honor
no it doesnt.
if it does, no-one will call d black americans ' american '
ice_zik:

I agree. Make Seal, Sade, Kravitz, Chamillioniare, Jadakiss, Taio Cruz etc produce their Naija passport make we see ,
grin grin grin
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by idifu(m): 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2010
it will always be Fela  hate it or love it ,  those of you mentioning Tuface and the rest of dem dont know what you saying  it is like saying Beenie man is well known and recognized  than bob Marley, at the moment Tuface isnt well recognized than Nneka, do you folks know what it takes to be on Tour with Nas and Damion Marley?
Tuface will neva be on such high profile tour. do you know why? cuz there isn't anything special or creative about him, Wande Coal is better than him and got more skills than Tuface
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by tekajibril(m): 8:35pm On Aug 12, 2010
ice_zik:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not silly. The topic (or question) is "who is the most recognised Nigerian Musician in the World?" If you ask a random guy in America, China, or Britain where Seal or Sade Adu are from, the instant answer is Britain. Therefore, they cannot be the most recognised "Nigerian" Musician. I completely agree that Sade, Seal, Taio Cruz, chamillionaire etc have Nigerian Heritage and I usually even boast about it to my foreign friends. They are originally from Nigeria. That is the truth. But are they reconised as Nigerian? No.

WORD!!!
buzugee:

this is where you are going off tangent. this question is directed in this forum to us nigerians in the forum.  the question is not 'who is the most famous musician that the world can tell is of nigerian heritage'we nigerians, know who is part off us irrespective of place of birth because we go by heritage. ok it all balls down to heritage not nationality. so the question is not directed at some random white guys. it is directed to nigerians to recognize who amongst us is the most recognizable in the world.

let me give you another analogy. this guy in the matrix was born in nigeria ibadan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Weaving but if he happens to be a very famous musician, i would not add him to the list of most recognizable nigerians because even though he is technically nigerian, his heritage is british.

People like you are the reason why John Fashanu is eating off us. Dude said he was British and now, he wants to be 9jerian. F**K all of ya'll, man. What make sumone from a certain country is the fact that u r patriotic about where u r from. Take the Americans for example, U wont see an American who would say claim to be 4rm another country. Same goes from the brits, it even goes down to their football teams. They support d team in their area for generations. Rooney said "He'll disown his son if he ever supports Liverpool since their Family are Evertonians". If u cant wear ur flag on your heart, u cant wear it on ur back.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 8:35pm On Aug 12, 2010
makajibbz:

no it doesnt.
if it does, no-one will call d black americans ' american ' grin grin grin
not quite getting what you mean here but america is a whole different kettle of fish. america is no mans land. america is a collusion of different people from all over the world. the only people indigenous to america are the indians so technically nobody should be called an american.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by buzugee(m): 8:38pm On Aug 12, 2010
tekajibril:

WORD!!!
People like you are the reason why John Fashanu is eating off us. Dude said he was British and now, he wants to be 9jerian. be intimate with all of ya'll, man. What make sumone from a certain country is the fact that u r patriotic about where u r from. Take the Americans for example, U wont see an American who would say claim to be 4rm another country. Same goes from the brits, it even goes down to their football teams. They support d team in their area for generations. Rooney said "He'll disown his son if he ever supports Liverpool since their Family are Evertonians". If u cant wear your flag on your heart, u cant wear it on your back.
fashanu is eating off you because of me ? cheesy leave that manya alone bruh. its decimating your brain cells
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by shanktang(m): 8:51pm On Aug 12, 2010
To be true to it, i think the late Fella, Majek, Femi kuti, Sunny ade, and lately Asa are by far the most recognised Nigerian international artists, Tuface may be the fans favourite based on contemporary terms, but the most recognised and most well respected are those mentioned above.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Freiburger(m): 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2010
Nneka.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by babsjnr(m): 10:55pm On Aug 12, 2010
sunny ade, fela kuti and dr alban
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by mamagee3(f): 12:00am On Aug 13, 2010
Freiburger:

Nneka.
Yeah right!

She's known only in the U.S. not around the world.

Tuface Idibia is more famous.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 13, 2010
no one mentioned the Legend ''Shirley Bassey''. Best known for singing the theme songs to the James Bond films Goldfinger , Diamonds Are Forever (which kanye west sampled), and Moonraker. She is one of the greatest musician with Nigeria lineage.
she sang at President John F. Kennedy inaugural Ball.

In recognition of her career longevity, and admiration from the British Royal Family, Bassey was created a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) on 31 December 1999 by HM Queen Elizabeth II. She was invited to perform in 2002 at the Party at the Palace, a public celebration of the Queen's Golden Jubilee. She was awarded France's top honour, the Legion d'Honneur, to signify her popularity and importance in the culture of France.

Resume

* 1972 – Best Female Singer – TV Times
* 1973 – Best Female Singer – TV Times
* 1974 – Best Female Entertainer – American Guild of Variety Artists
* 1976 – Best Female Singer – Music Week
* 1976 – EMI Award for twenty years as a recording artist – UK
* 1977 – Best British Female Solo Artist in the previous 25 years – BRIT Award
* 1977 – Golden Rose of Montreux nomination for The Shirley Bassey Show
* 1991 – Walk of Fame, Star Boulevard – plaque unveiled in Rotterdam
* 1993 – CBE – Commander of the Order of the British Empire
* 1995 – Showbusiness Personality of the Year – Variety Club of Great Britain
* 1997 – Grammy nomination – The Birthday Concert (recorded live at Althorp Park)
* 1998 – Longest run by a solo artist (ten shows) – Royal Festival Hall, London
* 1999 – Légion d'Honneur – France
* 1999 – Madam Tussaud's waxwork unveiled in London (second model in Las Vegas)
* 2000 – DBE – Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire
* 2000 – Most Successful British Female Singer – Guinness Book of Records
* 2003 – Outstanding Contribution to Music – National Music Awards, UK
* 2003 – Lifetime Achievement Award (inaugural award) – Western Mail Welsh Woman of the Year Awards
* 2004 – 100 Great Black Britons, Bassey voted into the top ten
* 2004 – Artist for Peace Award – UNESCO
* 2005 – Avenue of Stars – plaque unveiled in London
* 2008 – "Goldfinger" – United Artists single (1964) inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 13, 2010
mama-gee:

Yeah right!

She's known only in the U.S. not around the world.

Tuface Idibia is more famous.

wrong, Nneka is well known in Mainland Europe than the US.
Re: Who Is The Most Recognise Nigeria Muscian In The World. by Nobody: 12:39am On Aug 13, 2010
Patti Boulaye may also make the list but I think she is popular as an actress and not a musician.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vector Tha Viper On Def Jam Africa Label / 9 Songs By Secular Artistes That Could Pass For Gospel Songs.(pics) / [VIDEO] Timaya – ''I Like The Way''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.