Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,051 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version (11874 Views)

Why Is God's Name 'JEHOVAH' Not In Your Bible? / King James (of The KJV Bible), Was An Indigenous Black European / Why Jehovah's Witnesses Hate The King James Version (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by umbo: 9:48am On Jan 13, 2019
ok
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by alBHAGDADI: 9:49am On Jan 13, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Oga go and make research.
The complete Bible is in the Vatican city. The Catholic Church have it. Why do the Ethiopian Orthodox Church have 88 chapters of the Bible??

Those additions of apocryphal books which have been seen to be lies. All those nonsense gospel of Barnabas, gospel of Mary etc.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Olabenjamen22(m): 9:50am On Jan 13, 2019
Avizizo:
Quran can never get a new version or different writers even any write. Please who go write am? Proudly Muslim
Lol. next time you want to show your foolishness online, make sure you did that in your cult page and.not in a Christian page OK?

well let me educate your illiteracy,
1. Muhammad Asad version
2.M. M. Pickthall version
3. Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985) version
4. Yusuf Ali (Orig. 1938) version
5.Shakir version
6. Wahiduddin Khan version
7.Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar version
8.T.B.Irving version
9.The Clear Quran, Dr. Mustafa Khattab version
10. Safi Kaskas version

Let me stop at number 10, lol
Google is your friend sha.

so can you help yourself by vacating the page for a sane people?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by rafael122(m): 9:50am On Jan 13, 2019
Jcole2022:
See recent winning Below

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by mabea: 9:50am On Jan 13, 2019
VictorRomanov:
I take this guy less seriously by the day. With each post every Sunday, his ignorance, low capacity to reason, and lack of understanding of basic English language becomes more obvious. Much more, it proves he has no single understanding of the bible.

If he does read, he would have know that the KJV is one of the most adulterated translations of the bible, with spurious texts flying in here and there. These days neither does the catholic church nor the church of England have monopoly to early bible manuscripts from which translations into various languages can be done. And the more people translate, the more they see the errors in translation in the KJV.

Now the word of God has nothing to do with the understanding of english language it is the spirit who grants us the revelation of the word . So with the little knowledge i have about God i believe the op.

4 Likes

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:55am On Jan 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Those additions of apocryphal books which have been seen to be lies. All those nonsense gospel of Barnabas, gospel of Mary etc.

This is problem with religion. Anything ur pastors tell u is the truth. mtcheeew
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
LIES.

Catholic Church is not the root of christianity. It is a Roman invention which went about persecuting the original Christians.

The Bible wasn't compiled by the Catholic Church but was prevented from spreading by them because they didn't want people to have access to the truth of God.

Sunday worship wasn't instituted by Catholic but by the disciples who met on the first day of the week which was when Jesus resurrected.

Acts 20:7
And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

My allegiance is to Jesus Christ in heaven, not to Rome. Basing your allegiance to Rome shows you do t believe in Jesus. That's why you bow down before statues.

Mass means a lot of things. Christmas means gathering i.e Jesus gathering, not Catholic gathering. Mass also means weight; will you now say it is Catholic as well?

Lol. see ignorance.

do yourself a quick favor. check out your local library or local bookshop for history books and search for the list of Popes and check out the dates.

Mass means Catholic form of worship when it is used in religious circles. Christmas is a religious celebration.

The Catholic church celebrates Christmas (Christ-Mass).

what most Pentecostals don't realize is that in the Catholic church, everyday is a feast day of some sort.

Its either they are celebrating a saint's feast day or they are celebrating a church history in antiquity.

I'm sure you've never heard of Michaelmass before. wink

If you celebrate Christmas and then call the Catholic Church the "mother of harlots" then you are a hypocrite.

as for the bible not being compiled by the Catholic church, I won't even indulge you. if you are too lazy to Google it then please keep believing the fact that the Bible jumped down from heaven and landed in the hands of Martin Luther and King Henry VIII, both founders of protestantism.

During the times of the early Christians, gathering to break bread was done in private homes and underground caves because they were being persecuted by ancient Rome. they met whenever and where ever they could. I know you aren't aware of this because your own church's history probably dates back to only the 90s. Heck, I am even older than your church.

Your allegiance is to Jesus indeed but you have no problem calling the Bride of Christ the "Mother of harlots". What an allegiance!
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by VictorRomanov: 9:57am On Jan 13, 2019
mabea:
Now the word of God has nothing to do with the understanding of english language it is the spirit who grants us the revelation of the word . So with the little knowledge i have about God i believe the op.

Well we can believe what we like. But God gave us a brain for a reason. And from what I know about God and his word, I know the Op is totally wrong.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by alBHAGDADI: 9:57am On Jan 13, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

This is problem with religion. Anything ur pastors tell u is the truth. mtcheeew

Those books deny Jesus, that's why we reject them.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Olabenjamen22(m): 9:58am On Jan 13, 2019
ukaface:
this is what baffles me about christainity.
Why do we have different denominations? preaching different doctrines? having different sets of bible versions?hating on other denominations?
yet we say we have one God,una well so?

Because the prophecy have to be fulfill. and mind you, it not your doctrine that will make you enter heaven but your own personal relationship with God Almighty. in which the Bible have explained for us. peace
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 10:01am On Jan 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Those books deny Jesus, that's why we reject them.
Not all. Even Solomon seal that is an occult book talked about Jesus.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Olabenjamen22(m): 10:02am On Jan 13, 2019
adams123:
I was discussing with one pastor who is an advanced learner of Bible yesterday and he posited that, bible came into being 40years after Jesus was crucified. Secondly, he told me that, Apostle Paul who had 13 books authored in the bible doesn't know Jesus Christ physically. Please, are these narration true

And you have problem with those thing? Gosh as a Muslim I don't expect you to have problem with what that pastor told you because last I check,

Your Quran was written years after the death of your late Muhammad.
And to be surprising those that write your Quran have never heard or see your Allah before. so I don't know what you are trying to instigate.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by mabea: 10:04am On Jan 13, 2019
VictorRomanov:

Well we can believe what we like. But God gave us a brain for a reason. And from what I know about God and his word, I know the Op is totally wrong.
With the examples he gave he cant be wrong because those are key and vital truth about the christian faith. Again you cant understand God's word with the brain.

2 Likes

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Olabenjamen22(m): 10:06am On Jan 13, 2019
ollah2:

See how bigotry and hatred has finished some of you. He wrote about only the Quran and his love for it and proud to be a Muslim but inferiority complex, hatred, bigotry and intolerance made you to attack Quran yet you all claim to be good spirited and attack the Muslims. Look in the mirror man.
You mean in a Christian related topic?

why can't you people just cage yourself inside your cult page instead of talking rubbish here. and mind you know one ask to know about He's passion for his so called Quran. so bluff off.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by sooperrescue(m): 10:15am On Jan 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You mean God is the author of all those different manuscripts which contradict each other?

God is not the author of confusion.

You say you no longer take me serious? Why can't you prove the wrong in my post?

The only thing you got wrong was in justifying your trinity concept. Every other points are valid. You need to do more to understand the word of God. Jesus told us that he came down from heaven. Truth or false.? The Bible recorded that John the baptist claimed that he did not know that Jesus was the messiah. Was he saying the truth or not because for him to say that means the baby that was born by Mary was the body that was prepared for the spirit to descend upon. Even Satan asked the same question, if you are the son of God twice to the messiah immediately he landed from heaven. Heb 10; 4, when he came down to earth, he said, sacrifice and offering, thou wouldest not but a body has thou prepared for me. Make I go church.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by VictorRomanov: 10:17am On Jan 13, 2019
mabea:
With the examples he gave he cant be wrong because those are key and vital truth about the christian faith. Again you cant understand God's word with the brain.

How come you understood what he said, since you can't understand God's word with your brain? Did you use your kidney to understand him.

One of the claims he made is that the KJV never called Jesus Joseph's son.

Take this:

King James Version
Luke 3:23

23And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli

1 Like

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by ollah2: 10:29am On Jan 13, 2019
Olabenjamen22:

You mean in a Christian related topic?

why can't you people just cage yourself inside your cult page instead of talking rubbish here. and mind you know one ask to know about He's passion for his so called Quran. so bluff off.

Like I told the other guy, you guys are worst and you don't look in the mirror. You want people to accept your jargons but can't tolerate others. Don't you write usual nonsense on Muslim threads?

1 Share

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Olabenjamen22(m): 10:34am On Jan 13, 2019
ollah2:

Like I told the other guy, you guys are worst and you don't look in the mirror. You want people to accept your jargons but can't tolerate others. Don't you write usual nonsense on Muslim threads?

well, I will be waiting for you to show me where I poke my nose into Islamic topic unless they look for trouble first. and wait, what is wrong with this braindead, I don't see where anyone is forcing Muslim or atheist to accept Christian believe before. and if you mean that me trying to teach my believe equate to forcing my believe in you. then you are free to commit suicide because I will never stop preaching my believe because of some troll like you.. so you can as well Bleep off.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by ollah2: 10:43am On Jan 13, 2019
Olabenjamen22:

well, I will be waiting for you to show me where I poke my nose into Islamic topic unless they look for trouble first. and wait, what is wrong with this braindead, I don't see where anyone is forcing Muslim or atheist to accept Christian believe before. and if you mean that me trying to teach my believe equate to forcing my believe in you. then you are free to commit suicide because I will never stop preaching my believe because of some troll like you.. so you can as well Bleep off.

I will be waiting for where I mentioned you FIRST. Nobody asked you to stop preaching, but you can attack me because of what I said as regards the other guy. You can't accept what you give others. It's the same reason why a Muslim can easily attend church services but hell would let lose if a christian is invited to the mosque. Heaven is meant for you guys alone since God is a Christian grin grin
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by alBHAGDADI: 10:47am On Jan 13, 2019
VictorRomanov:

How come you understood what he said, since you can't understand God's word with your brain? Did you use your kidney to understand him.

One of the claims he made is that the KJV never called Jesus Joseph's son.

Take this:

King James Version
Luke 3:23

The passage was talking about his human genealogy. Even the king James put in parenthesis (as was supposed).

Luke 3:23-38 King James Version (KJV)
And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Mikora: 10:51am On Jan 13, 2019
Wrong theory
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by alBHAGDADI: 10:54am On Jan 13, 2019
Mikora:
Wrong theory
Where is the right one ?
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by dederocs(m): 11:03am On Jan 13, 2019
Welcome to the great point of disillusionment...King James version was doctored, written under the supervision of the great United Kingdom's ruler, colonizer and tyrannical king grin

Remember the house of England and the house of Scotland divided, just after the death of King James mother, thereby the Catholic movement was formed, out of the Anglican, hence they had to edit, and doctor their own book, to suit the whims and caprices of King James, of course to differentiate them, and a decree was issued that only the king James Version be used during sermons... Its more about power struggle and politics... These words we read today, said to be narratives of Mark, Paul etc, have been altered a great deal. I can't completely trust a book handed to me by my colonizer
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Chukazu: 11:08am On Jan 13, 2019
Petersamuel8:
the truth is always bitter, the king James version as always being the authentic BIBLE all this new versions are only out for business purposes, I only read the holy bible which is the king james

Who told you ?
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by VictorRomanov: 11:08am On Jan 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The passage was talking about his human genealogy. Even the king James put in parenthesis (as was supposed).

Luke 3:23-38 King James Version (KJV)
And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

So that means many people who knew Jesus supposed that his father was Joseph. So it is not out of place to say Jesus was Joseph's son.

King James Version
Luke 4:22

And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph’s son?

Saying Jesus is Joseph's son does not mean that Joseph was his biological father. People refer to foster fathers and the fathers of the children they foster. Joseph was such.

Secondly. Which translation would you rather have? A translation where the translators stay faithful to the original text or where they infuse their own understanding.

Here a word for word translation of the Greek text from which Luke 2:33 was translated

καὶ (And) ἦν (was) ὁ (the) πατὴρ (father) αὐτοῦ (of it) καὶ (and) ἡ (the) μήτηρ (mother) θαυμάζοντες (wondering) ἐπὶ (upon) τοῖς (the [things]) λαλουμένοις (being spoken) περὶ (about) αὐτοῦ.

Notice that the Greek word πατὴρ here translated father is different from the word Ἰωσήφ, Joseph at Luke 3:22 below

Καὶ (And) αὐτὸς (he) ἦν (was) Ἰησοῦς (Jesus) ἀρχόμενος (commencing) ὡσεὶ (as if) ἐτῶν (of years) τριάκοντα, (thirty), ὢν (being) υἱός, (son,) ὡς (as) ἐνομίζετο, (it was being opined), Ἰωσήφ (of Joseph) τοῦ (of the) Ἡλεί (Heli)

From the foregoing, it is obvious that the later translators were more faithful with the original texts than the translators of KJV
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Chukazu: 11:12am On Jan 13, 2019
What is the meaning of "thou, thee, whenc, harkneth, harketh, sawest, knoweth, thy ?

How do you expect a young believer to understand King James version?

You know nothing about Bible.

If I can't understand every letter of the Word, what is the use?
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Revolva(m): 11:12am On Jan 13, 2019
KJV is the beginning of the brainwashing the whitemen used...its not accurate....ok.....
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by adams123: 11:12am On Jan 13, 2019
Olabenjamen22:

Lol. next time you want to show your foolishness online, make sure you did that in your cult page and.not in a Christian page OK?

well let me educate your illiteracy,
1. Muhammad Asad version
2.M. M. Pickthall version
3. Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985) version
4. Yusuf Ali (Orig. 1938) version
5.Shakir version
6. Wahiduddin Khan version
7.Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar version
8.T.B.Irving version
9.The Clear Quran, Dr. Mustafa Khattab version
10. Safi Kaskas version

Let me stop at number 10, lol
Google is your friend sha.

so can you help yourself by vacating the page for a sane people?

Thank you for this revelation. But all these versions are in English or Arabic? Because from what I know, Quran was revealed in Arabic and I heard the Arabic version is d same all over the world. But different english translators used different words with the same meaning in their translation.
But if you have any differences in different translations that disagreed with each other you can prove it here. Thank you my brother for this important revelation.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by Chukazu: 11:14am On Jan 13, 2019
VictorRomanov:

So that means many people who knew Jesus supposed that his father was Joseph. So it is not out of place to say Jesus was Joseph's son.

King James Version

Saying Jesus is Joseph's son does not mean that Joseph was his biological father. People refer to foster fathers and the fathers of the children they foster. Joseph was such.

Secondly. Which translation would you rather have? A translation where the translators stay faithful to the original text or where they infuse their own understanding.

Here a word for word translation of the Greek text from which Luke 2:33 was translated

Notice that the Greek word πατὴρ here translated father is different from the word Ἰωσήφ, Joseph at Luke 3:22 below

From the foregoing, it is obvious that the later translators were more faithful with the original texts than the translators of KJV

Oga the Original versions of the Bible is Hebrew and and Greek any other one is translation.

If you have read the entire KJV you won't position this ignorance
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by VictorRomanov: 11:23am On Jan 13, 2019
Chukazu:

Oga the Original versions of the Bible is Hebrew and and Greek any other one is translation.

If you have read the entire KJV you won't position this ignorance

The language I quoted, was it Russian? Isn't that Greek? I have the KJV and many other translation and of them all, the KJV drifts more from the original text than most.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by alBHAGDADI: 11:47am On Jan 13, 2019
VictorRomanov:

King James Version

You are quoting from one of those corrupt Greek manuscripts.

The people of those days who didn't know any better were the one saying Joseph was Jesus father. The Bible was only quiting them, which is different from when the Bible us making a statement.
Re: Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version by alBHAGDADI: 11:48am On Jan 13, 2019
VictorRomanov:

The language I quoted, was it Russian? Isn't that Greek? I have the KJV and many other translation and of them all, the KJV drifts more from the original text than most.
The Greek you quoted is from the corrupt versions which these modern Bible translations were gotten from.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Repentance In The Grave- Is This Possible / We Distributed 74.6 M Bibles In Nigeria In 55 Years – Gideons International / Advice Needed: Neighboring Church Noise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.