Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum (11541 Views)

‘missing’ $20bn: Reps Issue Fresh Ultimatum To Okonjo-iweala / Gridlock In Lagos As Tricycle, Okada Riders Endorse Jonathan 0 / Fashola Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by oisehumen(m): 7:28am On Aug 12, 2010

Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum

Author: Date: Aug 11th, 2010. | Category: Metro, News. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |

The Lagos State Government in South-West Nigeria, has issued a fresh 21-day ultimatum to commercial motorcycle operators, also known as okada riders to stop plying the state’s highways or face the music.

Gov. Babatunde Raji Fashola.

With the new ultimatum, which takes effect from 1 September, okada riders are not expected to ply Third Mainland Bridge, Ikorodu Road, Victoria Island, the entire Lagos Island Business Districts, among others.

In order to ensure that no one raises eyebrow when the enforcement would start in full force, the state government has kicked off sensitisation campaign to warn okada riders to stay off the restricted highways.

At the official opening of the campaign, the Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele said that the present decision by the state government was as a result of the frequent outcry by Lagosians because of the high rate of accidents among the motorcycle operators.

Bamidele said that the constitution does not recognise motorcycle as a means of transportation but that for the time being, the state government had resolved to scrutinize their operations rather than place an outright ban on them.

“You know of BRT, you know of LAGBUS, you know about other transportation systems and, of course, you know about the steps being taken by the government to ensure that the rail system works and also in trying to ensure that the water transportation system is effective in the state.

“As we confront issues of public transportation both in respect to transportation by air, rail, water and by road, we have to manage the activities of okada riders to see how best to protect lives and property in the process. Government has decided to be proactive in ensuring that both the okada riders and the public are familiar with its thinking  and its philosophy in that regard,” he said.

Bamidele disclosed that part of the sensitisation campaign is a road show which would take law enforcement officials round major parts of the city of Lagos by mobile billboard vehicles operated by WOW Mobile Billboard Company, led by Mr. Tokunbo Odebunmi.

He added that the essence was for members of the public to appreciate the resolve of government to enlist the support of members of the public to join the campaign to save lives by ensuring compliance.

Bamidele, however, solicited for maximum understanding between the motorcyclists and other road users to ensure adequate compliance with the new regulation as the fine against violation would include both.

Recognising that these regulations might discourage some riders from the business, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa advised that the various skills and Acquisition Centres in the state were open to all to acquire one skill or the other and that government had also made provisions with Micro-finance Banks to give out loans to successful and interested graduates from the Skill and Acquisition Centres.

Opeifa, reiterated that the campaign was essentially to enlighten the public on the need to save lives by ensuring compliance with traffic rules and regulations as they apply to okada riders in the state.

Some of the new order by the state government include restriction of motorcycle use among pregnant women, school age children and women with children on their backs.

The law further states that motorcyclists should avoid riding against traffic and direction prohibited by law.  They should also ensure strict compliance with the use of crash helmets for both the rider and passenger, among others.

In the campaign, some routes were identified as “no go area” for motorcyclists.  The Lagos State government has, however, made adequate alternatives such as the provision of BRT buses, taxi, ferry and tricycles in order to ameliorate the negative impact of the directive.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by keyremotes(m): 9:35am On Aug 12, 2010
thank God OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 12, 2010
There should be outright ban on okada and let them migrate to tricycle.in owerri the ban on okada reduce accident in the city 75%.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by marcus1234: 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2010
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by diehard1: 1:11pm On Aug 12, 2010
Thank God too! If you see the way most of them ride this agent of death (OKADA) along our highways, you will know that the riders leave their senses at home then ride without any atom of sense. angry
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by EzeUche22(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2010
In Umuahia, there are no okadas unless you go to the outlying outskirts or villages of Umuahia. That is one good thing I have noticed.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Ajike: 1:26pm On Aug 12, 2010
unfortunately the barn is going to be on Island only. I almost got rob on Monday at Oko Oba Agege by these okara riders. 3 of them o the same okada just stopped infront of me at the bus stop around 5:00am, it takes the intervention of one God sent 'maruwa' and one other car for them to take to their heels. I think they shld place a timebarn on them on mailand too.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 2:09pm On Aug 12, 2010
For safety reasons, 'okadas' should be restricted from Trunk A roads and even some Trunk B roads. The way the riders (many of them ill-trained) and their passengers get killed/maimed is worrisome.

Sometimes you even see a whole family on 'okadas' that speed dangerously on major highways, struggling with cars and meandering across lanes.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by fred4alabi(m): 2:51pm On Aug 12, 2010
i think Fashola is getting it wrong on this one. Okada is the fastest means of transportation in Lagos. what the government should do is to reduce hold ups and number of cars on the road. we wont ride them if the road is free. banning them in V.I wont work as i totally oppose it. V.I is the center of hold up in Nigeria. you will regret going to the next street with your own car. Its even better trekking than riding a car in V.I

How can some people compare Owerri, Umuahia and all those villages with Lagos, How many people are there? how many cars are there too? compare with Lagos and 45% of cars in Lagos head for the island every day.

Fashola should reduce the cars, they are too many on the road, all these bankers each all have cars even when they don't need it.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Bawss1(m): 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2010
fred4alabi:

Fashola should reduce the cars, they are too many on the road, [b]all these bankers each all have cars even when they don't need i[/b]t.

Really? grin grin
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Kx: 3:00pm On Aug 12, 2010
When will govt ban potholes,ditches and infact pits on our roads?
Is it only okada that they can ban?
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by DoubleN(m): 3:29pm On Aug 12, 2010
I don't enter Commercial Motorcycles but this does not seem to be the right step. Before you you push them out,you must provide an alternative means of transport that is also affordable and reliable.Think of all the Bankers/Workers that depend on bike to get to their place of work every morning!From Lagos Island to Victoria island to Lekki and even Ajah. Not to talk of the putting people out of business,this will lead to a high increase in robbery if the are not careful. Good initiative but very poor strategy.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by kufreabasi(m): 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2010
It will all boiled down to banning okada at last. They don't pity themselves.
Last two months ago at first bank gate, iganmu near nigerian breweries, the snatched a woman's handbag infront of that gate as early as 9:00 am as she was just coming out from the bank. This old woman cried without hearing sorry.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by GAR3TH(m): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2010
the other states and cities that banned okodas seem to be doing well. . .Lagos should buy more LAGBUS buses for inner city use to replace okodas. I wont mind seeing nigerian made innoson buses, like enugu is doing.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by gmailer2: 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2010
fred4alabi:

i think Fashola is getting it wrong on this one. Okada is the fastest means of transportation in Lagos. what the government should do is to reduce hold ups and number of cars on the road. we wont ride them if the road is free. banning them in V.I wont work as i totally oppose it. V.I is the center of hold up in Nigeria. you will regret going to the next street with your own car. Its even better trekking than riding a car in V.I

How can some people compare Owerri, Umuahia and all those villages with Lagos, How many people are there? how many cars are there too? compare with Lagos and 45% of cars in Lagos head for the island every day.

Fashola should reduce the cars, they are too many on the road, all these bankers each all have cars even when they don't need it.

You have said it all,
its quite easy for some people to say "Thank God O" when they don't feel the stress some people go through in traffic trying to get to work everyday. If they barn bikes there will be more traffic on the roads, especially the island (home of traffic). I don't get on bikes much on the island, but when i do, its a always a relieve considering the measure of traffic on the way.
If there will be reduced traffic on the road, then bikes can go
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by omar22(m): 4:02pm On Aug 12, 2010
You have said it all,
its quite easy for some people to say "Thank God O" when they don't feel the stress some people go through in traffic trying to get to work everyday. If they barn bikes there will be more traffic on the roads, especially the island (home of traffic). I don't get on bikes much on the island, but when i do, its a always a relieve considering the measure of traffic on the way.
If there will be reduced traffic on the road, then bikes can go

Last month I saw a lady with a baby not more than 1 yr on the bike weaving from left to right on the agege motor road, Now tell how safe is that, am sorry health and safety has to come first,
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by TeskyMan(m): 4:17pm On Aug 12, 2010
[b]Hello nairalanders,

Mark my word, the ban will be reversed in no time. Bike is the easiest and the most reliable means of movement on the Island most especially V/I - I repeat Victoria Island, Lagos. If you don't work on the Island, you might probably not have a better understanding of what i am taking about. It is better you track than drive your car on the Island during closing hours. The worst of this all is during raining season, ohh my goodness, you will regret ever coming to office with your car. With just a drop of rain, all roads that leads to Island is Totally blocked. The truth is that at the end, you wouldn't identify a single thing that brings about the hold-up.

Can you imagine driving your car from Ajose Adeogun to Adeola Odeku by 5p.m. If a cripple or a lame man treks, he will get to Adeola Odeku 1 hour before the car.

The truth being told, 35% of cars in Nigeria are in Lagos, and u can't expect anything less than serious trafic. The only solution as far as I am concern to this problem is METRO. I don't see this coming on the Island in the next 4 to 5 yrs. I am not saying Okada riders should not be checked and discipline whenever they are found wanting (in fact they are found wanting every now and then) but outright ban is not the SOLUTION.

Chai, people will suffer on the Island, even me too.

It is better imagined than seen.

On the part of the riders - some of them have no other means of livelihood. They survive solely by riding Okada. I think Govt should rethink. See below attachments.

Shallom.
[/b]

Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by gmailer2: 4:20pm On Aug 12, 2010
omar22:

Last month I saw a lady with a baby not more than 1 yr on the bike weaving from left to right on the agege motor road,   Now tell how safe is that,  am sorry health and safety has to come first,

The lady in question was not forced to get on the bike, especially with a kid.

Everything that has an advantage, has a disadvantage
I have seen a lady's bag get snatched too, on her way to work (it sure was annoying). Sometimes
these bike-dudes get u so upset (especially when they scratch-u). But when u have to get somewhere real quick
you'll appreciate them more.
LAGBUSes & BRTs don't ply a lot of route (have you seen the long line trying to get on 1 sometimes??)
and please don't compare Lagos to other states,

Let people with cars pay tolls to get through certain locations, pay taxes on theirs cars (even when its packed at home) that will reduce the traffic on the road, get more BRTs & LAGBUSes on the road
then tell the okadas to stay home, then this will be more appreciated.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Ossaifamous(m): 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2010
from ikorodu to ketu on monday morning is hectic even on okada and going by commercial bus it like journey through hell.
now I wonder how many people will lose their jobs due to lateness esp. when the VIOs and LASTMAS delays erring drivers. guess it's time for some chaos.
EKO ÓNI BAJÉ
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2010
TeskyMan:

[b]Hello nairalanders,

Mark my word, the ban will be reversed in no time. Bike is the easiest and the most reliable means of movement on the Island most especially V/I - I repeat Victoria Island, Lagos. If you don't work on the Island, you might probably not have a better understanding of what i am taking about. It is better you track than drive your car on the Island during closing hours. The worst of this all is during raining season, ohh my goodness, you will regret ever coming to office with your car. With just a drop of rain, all roads that leads to Island is Totally blocked. The truth is that at the end, you wouldn't identify a single thing that brings about the hold-up.

Can you imagine driving your car from Ajose Adeogun to Adeola Odeku by 5p.m. If a cripple or a lame man treks, he will get to Adeola Odeku 1 hour before the car.

The truth being told, 35% of cars in Nigeria are in Lagos, and u can't expect anything less than serious trafic. The only solution as far as I am concern to this problem is METRO. I don't see this coming on the Island in the next 4 to 5 yrs. I am not saying Okada riders should not be checked and discipline whenever they are found wanting (in fact they are found wanting every now and then) but outright ban is not the SOLUTION.

Chai, people will suffer on the Island, even me too.

It is better imagined than seen.

On the part of the riders - some of them have no other means of livelihood. They survive solely by riding Okada. I think Govt should rethink. See below attachments.

Shallom.
[/b]

I don't think so. . .this is the same thinking i had when El-rufai banned bike in the FCT but today,people adjusted and life goes on.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2010
gmailer2:

The lady in question was not forced to get on the bike, especially with a kid.

Everything that has an advantage, has a disadvantage
I have seen a lady's bag get snatched too, on her way to work (it sure was annoying). Sometimes
these bike-dudes get u so upset (especially when they scratch-u). But when u have to get somewhere real quick
you'll appreciate them more.
LAGBUSes & BRTs don't ply a lot of route (have you seen the long line trying to get on 1 sometimes??)
and please don't compare Lagos to other states,

Let people with cars pay tolls to get through certain locations, pay taxes on theirs cars (even when its packed at home) that will reduce the traffic on the road, get more BRTs & LAGBUSes on the road

The essence of government is to protect human lives.  It is illegal to take your own life let alone your child's. Again, do you want to subordinate safety of lives to punctuality?  Isn't it better to be late than to be the late? There was a time 'okadas' were restricted from all Lagos roads by 7pm, how did people cope then?

However, to cope with early Monday morning rush ahead of provision of alleviating infrastructure like Ikoyi/Lekki bridge (has the Lekki road been completed now?) etc, and also protect human lives including those ready to take theirs on 'okadas', why can't they consider changing resumption time in Lagos Island only to 9am? Controversial
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by gmailer2: 4:50pm On Aug 12, 2010
Pukkah:

The essence of government is to protect human lives.  It is illegal to take your own life let alone your child's. Again, do you want to subordinate safety of lives to punctuality?  Isn't it better to be late than to be the late? There was a time 'okadas' were restricted from all Lagos roads by 7pm, how did people cope then?

However, to cope with early Monday morning rush ahead of provision of alleviating infrastructure like Ikoyi/Lekki bridge (has the Lekki road been completed now?) etc, and also protect human lives including those ready to take theirs on 'okadas', why can't they consider changing resumption time in Lagos Island only to 9am? Controversial

Hmm, that's quite thoughtful, but will our "Bosses" comply? and will they not make us work extra-hours? undecided
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2010
fred4alabi:

Are you serious about this or just joking? So bankers are the problem? Can you estimate the number of bankers in Lagos?

Kx:

When will govt ban potholes,ditches and infact pits on our roads?
Is it only okada that they can ban?

They have to start from somewhere else you end up with a situation of total chaos. Things, if not controlled, have a tendency to spiral out of control.

gmailer2:

How much tax do you want govt. to levy on a car that is sitting at home? Even those at mechanic workshops? Do you think this is fair? I see this as another joke.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2010
gmailer2:

Hmm, that's quite thoughtful, but will our "Bosses" comply? and will they not make us work extra-hours? undecided

This should be seen as another form of disincentive/tax for being on the Island, the same way that vehicles that are heading for the Island should be taxed.

Let's ask ourselves, must all businesses be on the Island? You see so many companies whose most customers and staff members are on the Mainland insisting they must be located on the Island, why? Why can't the office of MTN be in Ikeja for instance or that of Zenith Bank be in Abuja for example?
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by gmailer2: 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2010
Pukkah:

Are you serious about this or just joking? So bankers are the problem? Can you estimate the number of bankers in Lagos?

They have to start from somewhere else you end up with a situation of total chaos. Things, if not controlled, have a tendency to spiral out of control.

How much tax do you want govt. to levy on a car that is sitting at home? Even those at mechanic workshops? Do you think this is fair? I see this as another joke.

Fair? are you talking Fair?? Do u know some people have like 5 cars and all 5 cars get on the road everyday, causing more traffic (how fair?).
If they are made to pay tax on each car, they will realize how they don't need some (joke?? laugh then).

Come think of it, they could create cycling tracks too for people to use bicycles from point to point (this might help). wink undecided
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by TeskyMan(m): 5:07pm On Aug 12, 2010
Pukkah:

Very very insightful. Resumption time on Island now 9a.m, think this would be effective.

@ Bluetooth

For real, we will cope but it's gonna be HELL.

Remember when Okadas were restricted to 7pm, people suffered (Ask residence of Igando, Egbin, Iyan-Ipaja, Ejigbo, Ikotun, Isolo, Oke-afa Jakande; to mention a few) they will tell you the true story. I am very sure Governor Fashola did not need an angel to him that the decision was too hash before it was eventually relaxed. Basic infrastructural facilities that will consolidate the ban of Okada is not in place, i think thats the "KOKO".

One fact we need to get straight is this, LAGOS is NOT ABUJA and can never be. U can't compare the population of Lagos to that of Abuja, when about 45% of Lagosians work on the Island. Everybody wants to resume in the office by 8a.m. Without METRO, Banning Okada will pose more problem to the ordinary Lagosian who works on the Island.

I think the resumption time of 9a.m could make a difference but then what should the closing time be 6p.m or 7p.m? Controvertial
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by gmailer2: 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2010
@Pukkah will reply u tomorrow
Just added 15min 'jara' for my boss, I'm out (no incentives here)
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 5:19pm On Aug 12, 2010
gmailer2:

Fair? are you talking Fair?? Do u know some people have like 5 cars and all 5 cars get on the road everyday, causing more traffic (how fair?).
If they are made to pay tax on each car, they will realize how they don't need some (joke?? laugh then).

Come think of it,  they could create cycling tracks too for people to use bicycles from point to point (this might help). wink undecided

Please don't get me wrong, I am in support of levying cars that head for designated traffic-prone areas at certain times of the day but not cars sitting in the garage as the post below suggests:

gmailer2:

Let people with cars pay tolls to get through certain locations, [b]pay taxes on theirs cars (even when its packed at home) [/b]that will reduce the traffic on the road, get more BRTs & LAGBUSes on the road

The bicycle bit is also worth considering.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2010
gmailer2:

@Pukkah will reply u tomorrow
Just added 15min 'jara' for my boss, I'm out (no incentives here)

OK then, have fun!
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by jumobi1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2010
Can't ban a necessity without providing an alternative.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by abhosts(m): 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2010
This is a half-hearted measure by the State Government. An outright ban is the solution.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Loveaflame(m): 6:08pm On Aug 12, 2010
Ban what! Do they know the problem they have caused Lagosian with their vision of turning Lagos to London.The rate of crime in the city is alarming.We in Ikorodu don't have peace of mind due to frequent armed robbery cases.

The rate of Okada accident is not the yardstick for banning Okada.Before the advent of okada there had been accident.What I believe should be done is to  educate the Okada riders about riding and road traffic.If their is a school for them it will help them to get enlightened.

They all need to have particulars and riding license.

We all know that Okada is the easiest and fastest means of transportation that even big men atimes go by it due to the unfriendly nature of traffic in Lagos.Business people who deal with time go by it to keep up with appointment.

We know quite well that there are many jobless graduates who don't have the higher coonections to secure a good job.As such some if not many have taken to okada riding as a means of making a livelihood.Are we going to demoralise them by banning their legal jobs.

Beside that, is there any law banning the ride of okada on  the highways or anywhere?If many claim that they use it to rob people,for God's sake what are the duty of the security personels.There have been robberies before okada came.If the government should ban okada are they prepared to protect the innocent citizens from the consequence of such bands.I bet you the rate of armed robberies will increase at a geometric progression.

The government should be realistic in their propose plan and consider the masses.The masses are not against Okada in Lagos.Let them be and look for ways to educate them.I have had Okada accident before that does not stop me from still taking it.

Please let us look for a better way to approach the issue.About the skill acquisition training how many can the government support.Do they know the rate of setting up a business in this country while many are folding up already and relocating to an other country.

The cost of renting a shop is alarming.How much will the micro finance give them to rent a good shop in a good business location,let alone to buy the tools needed or stock up goods in it, Many will have to depend on PHCN.Do they know how much it cost to run a business on generator.Beside that the frequent problems encountered by many with the genuine and fake law enforcement agents or task force.

Please let the government look for alternative ways to help build Lagos not the other way round.

I quite appreciate what the good Governor of Lagos State is doing but the vision should be done with massive enlightment.The average Lagosian don't understand his great vision for the state.Many are still hungry.tired and frustrated.

My final submission is for the government of Lagos state to take a critical and objective look at this issue and apply wisdom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Built Aso Rock, Who Is The Landlord You Pay Rent To?-IBB To Buhari / Latest List Of Oil Producing States By Barrels Produced Perday / My Predecessor Spent N2.3bn On Burial In Five Months – Bauchi Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.