Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,158 members, 7,821,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum (11543 Views)

‘missing’ $20bn: Reps Issue Fresh Ultimatum To Okonjo-iweala / Gridlock In Lagos As Tricycle, Okada Riders Endorse Jonathan 0 / Fashola Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by pareto(m): 9:11pm On Aug 12, 2010
despite this economic condition, lagos state govt is still thinking of baning okada.
do you consider the economics implication of this?
the effect on market men and women.
workers, the local govt and okada riders themselves?
pls. think of how to create better life and not increasing hardship.
cos most pple who ride okada, do it as a last resort and stop trying to be like AMERICA.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by opuro(m): 9:30pm On Aug 12, 2010
it is not by force to stay in the city if you dont have other job except being okada rider then go back to your village
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by bidemi12(m): 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I don't think so. . .this is the same thinking i had when El-rufai banned bike in the FCT but today,people adjusted and life goes on.

take time ooo. how can you compare Abuja and lagos in this instance? it may have worked in Abuja but will ultimately fail in lagos. one major reason is there is no reasonable alternative. our elected officials and their irresponsible policies. fine okada is definitely not the best but it is the best we have for now.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by coalcoal1(m): 12:58am On Aug 13, 2010
no wonder tricycles are getting increasingly expensive and 'okadas' are getting cheaper
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by 5p1naz(m): 8:21am On Aug 13, 2010
the ban needs to be generalized but b4 then. they also need to create an easier form of transportation
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by wale4x35(m): 9:30am On Aug 13, 2010
I wish i could take the pictures of scars left on my both hands as a result of okada and show them to NLanders.

These guys are just complete morons

Outright ban pls  angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by babslepe: 9:51am On Aug 13, 2010
why should dey ban commercial bikes what of people that dont use it for commercial purpose what should they do i think this idea is just dumb
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by oniema(m): 10:29am On Aug 13, 2010
A pity Fashola does not prioritize before concluding or is it those good for nothing adviser? Can you imagine waking up as early as 3:45am everyday because you want to get to work and getting home around 9:00pm even with the help of Okada everyday. Wat will it look like without Okada most especially in the evening when you need to get home ave a little nap and get set for work the next day. Even if resumption time is 9:00am there cant be any difference it still the same.

Let the Okada union be made to go to LUTH and Igbobi at least twice a month, go round the Okada/Accident ward believe you me before this is done let say in 2 months most of them will come to senses.

Let not Fashola ban Okada it is not the solution. Ori bibe ko ni ogun ori fifo
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:38am On Aug 13, 2010
Na waoooo! The Phenomenon of Okada is just a symptom of a deeper disease. What does the Federal and State Government budget for Transportation Infrastructure since the Fall of Shehu Shagari, What have they done since then, It is the continuous blatant corruption and mismanagement that has caused our transportation woes makign Okada a very important part of our transportation lives. YEs Fashola is trying and trying well. it is just sad that we will face the music hoping that this time things will remain sustainable for our children's generation (Cos my father's generation suck so much) angry
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 10:45am On Aug 13, 2010
oniema:

A pity Fashola does not prioritize before concluding or is it those good for nothing adviser? Can you imagine waking up as early as 3:45am everyday because you want to get to work and getting home around 9:00pm even with the help of Okada everyday. Wat will it look like without Okada most especially in the evening when you need to get home ave a little nap and get set for work the next day. Even if resumption time is 9:00am there cant be any difference it still the same.

Let the Okada union be made to go to LUTH and Igbobi at least twice a month, go round the Okada/Accident ward believe you me before this is done let say in 2 months most of them will come to senses.

Let not Fashola ban Okada it is not the solution. Ori bibe ko ni ogun ori fifo

Are you in support of driving light-weight motorbikes on express ways? I shudder when I see 'okadas' on 3rd Mainland bridge or Lagos/Ibadan Express way, ordinary wind buffeting can make them crash.

Again, you should know that most of the bike riders are incorrigible (even when their passengers are correcting them!) and poorly trained.

The restriction is not total, it's only for specific areas or designated roads.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by ezyra(m): 11:15am On Aug 13, 2010
Finally! This is great news. Bikes in Lagos are barbaric. Most Okada riders are not even Nigerian. Good riddance!
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by lannre(m): 11:30am On Aug 13, 2010
WHAT HAPPEN TO THOSE GRADUATES RIDING OKADA.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by honeric01(m): 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2010
There was this stupid bike guy that carried me from Oshodi heading towards Egbeda, this crazy guy was dragging the express road with a fully loaded trailer and other huge cars (jeep), i shouted at the fool and told him to die alone if he's ready to die, he kept telling me not to teach him how to drive hehehehehe

Thank God the bike actually developed fault in the middle of the journey, i had to jump down because the clutch cable cut off and the bike refused to move.

If not for a lady that had to pick me up with her car from that point to my destination, i would have trekked a long distance in the dark before getting another means of transport.

This okada people should be made to pass through psychiatric test because i don't think most of them are normal.

One more thing, what is it with ogogoro (shepe) and commercial riders/drivers? most of them smell of alcohol anytime they set out to drive people to their point of no return.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by mckaycee(m): 2:14pm On Aug 13, 2010
Oh, so so sorry for Lagosians, they just managed to pour salt to injury. with all dis population and heavy traffic!! AH WAHALA DON SET IN. GOD HELP US!!!!!
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by sweetonyx(m): 2:42pm On Aug 13, 2010
i'd say banning of okada riders in lagos CBD's is a welcomed development, the tri-cycle riders otherwise called KEKE shud take advantage of this progressive development, tank
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by andyanders: 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2010
THE BAD OUT WAYS THE GOOD. OKADA SHOULD BE BANNED. 90% OF CRIME IN LAGOS ARE BEEN COMMITTED BY OKADA RIDERS.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by seanet02: 5:51pm On Aug 13, 2010
andyanders:

THE BAD OUT WAYS THE GOOD. OKADA SHOULD BE BANNED. 90% OF CRIME IN LAGOS ARE BEEN COMMITTED BY OKADA RIDERS.
CAPITAL TRUTH[color=#990000][/color]
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by CGKing(m): 8:32pm On Aug 13, 2010
Fashi! Fash is the best! But sir, can i ride my BMW power bike on the highways?
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by zoraro(m): 1:13am On Aug 14, 2010
Government should provide alternatives first before the ban/restriction, not the other way round. If there are alternatives to taking bikes, people will use them and the Government's objectives (Saving lives supposedly) will be attained.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by CGKing(m): 9:32pm On Aug 14, 2010
^^ Keke Napep
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by keyremotes(m): 8:51pm On Aug 15, 2010
The people who live in the states that have banned Okada have not died.
In fact there is more sanity on the roads now and also the number of deaths and injuries due to Okada has reduced DRASTICALLY.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Jencejyde(m): 10:16pm On Aug 15, 2010
I don't know why all the complain is about but, i personally fell this is a great descision by the lagos state govt.

There was atime when we did not use okada's in Nigeria and yet we survived and you can't imagine the menace that these riders cause, anyway i won't want to go into details about alternatives or creating other job opportunities for them, bla, blah,

at the end of the day if they(okada riders) cannot comply, then they should look for other routes to use.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by GNBohr: 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2010
e don tay wey me i no say nigerians are baboons and deserve to be ruled by baboons and like baboons.

I cant not imagine anybody defending the use of okada having seen all the problems associated with it. Anyone who is sdane will definitely know that the disadvantages far outweighs the advantages.

If you want to do a debate on the merits and evils of okada, you can open a thread on it. The fact remains that it is simply insane. I ride okada and that would never make me to support its continuous use as commercial transport.

How insane can one get!!! Commutting between Ikorodu and Lekki, Sango and Apapa, Iba and VI, and so on and so forth. It is so bad that short distances that will not take the slowest walker longer that 5 minutes are commutted on okada.

In any society, no matter how advanced or undeveloped, there should be order. There can never be any development whatsoever in the midst of disorder and chaos. Lagos is the most chaotic place to move around amongst all mordern societies, even you can not walk in peace and quiet with okada riders mindless behaviour and attitude.

The meanness with which they ride speaks of a demented kind of people eager to unleash disaster in communities. No one is immune to their uncontrolled and reckless disposition, it is as if they are possessed by destructive spirits.

Making use of okada as an alternative source of living does not warrant the mindlessness they display and the kind of havoc they cause. I bet you okada is not the only alternative available. As for crime, it will always be there.

For once let us live like sane people even if we are poor. You can only be rich when you are alive, sound in mind and physically able.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Pukkah: 7:12pm On Aug 17, 2010
GNBohr:

For once let us live like sane people even if we are poor. You can only be rich when you are alive, sound in mind and physically able.

I am impressed by your clear thinking and objectivity.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by Mongue(m): 10:06am On Aug 18, 2010
How did Lagos survive before Okada? It is only in the last 10 years that they have become popular and life of the roads was actually much better then. It won't be such a hardship if they are at least restricted.

How many people know someone been killed or injured on them? I know one man who was killed on 3rd Mainland bridge, 1 on Ikorodu Road and 1 man who has lost the use of one of his arms. The hosiptals are piled up with accident victims. It doesn't make sense.

Everybody said that the BRT lane on Ikorodu Road would ruin it, that the traffic would be huge and it wouldn't work. It is now very very effective. We have to have some longterm vision. At ojota I am held up in traffic every morning because of the Okada drivers illegally going in the express lane and dropping passengers in the central reservation. Without this there would be no hold up in Ojota in the morning. Enforce the ban and everyone will get to work faster.

Finally okada drivers are crazy! They do themselves no favours
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by phantom(m): 10:18am On Aug 18, 2010
come check out the orthopedic wards at BMH and UPTH,empty as hell, this restriction and the eventual ban is good for lagos yeah it might cause a lot of inconvenience at first, but yall will get used to it,
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by UyiIredia(m): 4:12pm On Aug 18, 2010
attended K.C in V.I >>> okada made transport easier & quicker >>> i wish Fashola & co could go through a few of the harrowing experience lagosians face >>> angry >>> they'll definitely have a rethink afterward undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by palma(f): 10:58am On Aug 19, 2010
I thought the post said they are restricted from harmful highways, Why don't we see that all the government is trying to do is too reduce okadas death rate. I don't think they want to make people starve. We are complaining that our government hasn't done anything to reduce the rate of traffic jams in Lagos can anyone seriously considered the fact that we were worst about five years ago? Our state has over went years and years of thievery and you expect just one government to make it right? Do you think it's that easy? I haven't seen any governor in any state or anyone who could achieve what we have achieved. Okada riders are lucky they aren't totally banned cuz with or without okada our crime rate is still high. Before okada came into the scene our road were quite bad yet we always find a way to get work on time, May our being dependent of these two wheels killers not be our death ooooo.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by obojo(m): 5:16am On Aug 21, 2010
if you go to luth or lasuth for 2days, you will never take a bike in your life again, the last time i was at lasuth, a secondary school student was killed on his way to school, they will tell you that bike accident patients are the most common in A&E. Bike accidents are just too rampant. Everyone has a friend or relative that has been involved in one. last time i was driving in lekki, two bikes in my front, the passenger of the first bike dropped his helmet and the second bike following closely behind it rode over d helmet and went flat on the ground. I barely managed to brake suddenly and not drive over the rider and passenger who were still dazed on the ground . if this had happened on a very busy road, there is no way i would have stopped on time.
look at how heavy and thick a real power bike gear is and you cant even compare a real helmet to the china face caps okada riders in Nigeria use. It is simply not safe.

Where are you rushing to that you have to take a bike across thirdmainland Abeg it is better to be late than to be the late.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by tpiah: 5:18am On Aug 21, 2010
Where are you rushing to that you have to take a bike across thirdmainland??

people are taking bikes across third mainland bridge?

omg

lagos has an exploding population.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by misterh(m): 6:04am On Aug 21, 2010
What do you think the govt can do th reduce the traffic on the roads.
Re: Lagos Gives Okada Riders Fresh Ultimatum by obojo(m): 12:06pm On Aug 21, 2010
I dont think bikes should be band totally though, Only on major roads and areas where an alternative means is readily available,
I commend the decision
Bikes were never a solution to traffic congestion in the first place.
fixing bad roads will really go a long way in helping,  also creating more roads and alternative routes were possible wouldn't hurt either,  You don't want to believe the great  difference and impact expanding the lekki-epe road had on traffic,  traffic from lekki 1 to law school has greatly improved. .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Complete List Of PDP New National Officers / Power Generation Moves Up To 4,200MW / Dogara Addressing The Congregation In A Catholic Church In Yola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.