Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,651 members, 7,823,845 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) (37227 Views)

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Three (by Kayode Odusanya) / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Two (by Kayode Odusanya) / Life Of A Shy Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 2:24am On Jan 24, 2019
Treasure17:
This kunle self too like beautiful ladies.. Well done Kay.

Who no like better thing? cheesy
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo8080: 7:41pm On Jan 24, 2019
Chapter 7: Bisi Sanmi Versus Debby (Part 2)

We were going to write a total of twelve exams in thirty days, so the papers were well spaced, and we had enough time to study in-between. Even with that fact, I still couldn’t totally rekindle the love between Debby and I during this period. We would see, and exchange a few words, but nothing more than that. I was still spending time studying with Desola, Bisi Sanmi and their crew. After a while, it became just Bisi Sanmi and I studying at night, before I would walk her to the front of Moremi Hall, and then head back to class to read some more. By 6am, I would get the first cab home to sleep till afternoon, before returning to school to continue the cycle again.

One night, we had been studying for hours and decided to take a brake. Bisi Sanmi had a textbook wrapped in old newspaper, and I picked it up to read the news on the paper. I got to a word I wasn’t familiar with and turned to her to ask, “What’s cleavage?” She burst out laughing and had to cover her mouth when people started turning around, wondering what was going on. I really didn’t know the meaning of the word; there was no blogs or social media sites over promoting sexuality at the time.

When she stopped laughing, she looked down at her chest, and before she said anything, I got an idea what the word meant. But the thing was, Bisi Sanmi had a flat chest, so she couldn’t use herself as an example. She looked around and then pointed at a light skinned girl seated a few rows in front of us. The girl was sitting backward on the bench, talking to one of her friends, and she had a white plunging neckline top on that showed her cleavage. “That’s a cleavage; the exposed part of her breasts.” Bisi Sanmi said and I went “Oh” as I nodded my head a few times. When I looked at the girl longer, I realized she was the one that had called out Debby for me when I went to see her a few days ago, and I quickly looked away.

When I stylishly looked in that direction again, I saw another girl sitting on the same row with Debby’s roommate now looking at me, and I looked away again. She must think I’m a pervert or something. I thought to myself; little did I know that I knew very little about what was running through the strange girl’s mind.

She was quite pretty; in fact, she was very beautiful- not too slim, not too fat, caramel complexion, and there was a lovely way she smiled while she conversed with her friends. I had never seen her around before, but it seemed she was with the Diploma crew, as I had found out later that most of Debby’s roommates were Diploma students and she was in their circle.

Every time I looked in that direction, I always saw her looking my way. I couldn’t read any longer. I decided to take a walk to clear my head, and maybe buy Tomtom for my breath while at it. I went off, and took a little while before returning as I ran into some old friends who wanted to talk about music and I couldn’t resist it. When I got back, I met the strange girl on my seat, talking to Bisi Sanmi. I said hi to her, and sat on the right side of Bis Sanmi on the bench; the girl was sitting on the left side.

They stopped talking, and the girl left shortly after I got there. And then a few seconds later, Bisi Sanmi started packing our books and asked if we could move to another class. I nodded, and started packing our books, wondering what the heck was going on. Was she angry that the girl wanted to meet me? I wondered. But I got the shocker of my life when we got outside and she told me the girl had actually come there to ask her out.

“What!” I said in a low voice. My brain couldn’t comprehend what I had just heard. My ego was also bruised a bit as I had believed the girl had been checking me out. But more than that, I couldn’t believe this 17 year-old girl was a lesbian; and she was bold enough to ask my friend out.

Bisi Sanmi had probably not experienced anything like that before, as she appeared confused and disorganized. She asked that we go down a few floors to get away from the girl. As we were descending the stairs, we ran into Debby coming up. Even though the staircase was dimly lit, I could read her body language as we greeted each other, and I sensed she didn’t like the fact that I was with Bisi Sanmi.

Bisi Sanmi and I found an empty class to read, and both stayed silent, not even talking about the lesbian girl. Then all of a sudden, she turned to face me and asked, “Why don’t you like me like you like Debby?”

I was caught off guard. I definitely wasn’t expecting that. This was the same girl that had advised me to go see Debby the other day, why is she saying this? I wondered. After several seconds of rambling, I was able to make out these words, “I like you a lot, but I’m a messed up guy, and I don’t want to put you through shiit. You deserve a better guy.” She smiled and looked away. The kind of smile that said, ‘couldn’t you have come up with better bullshit?’ But there was no way I could look her in the eye and tell her the truth; that even though I liked her a lot, I was still obsessed with Debby, and I just couldn’t bring myself to date anyone while there was still a chance I could get Debby.

I don’t know if it was Debby that put the word out, but the very next day, people started approaching me with questions about my relationship with Bisi Sanmi. At the time, there were only two couples in our department, and it was like people were hungry for a third couple the way they jumped on the rumour. Most girls that I didn’t even know knew my name started teasing me, calling me Bisi Sanmi’s husband. I was a very reserved guy, and that started getting on my nerves at a point. And then there was the fact that Sope and Bisi Sanmi never ever got along, so Sope didn’t like the rumour at all. They were always fighting anytime I tried to hangout with both of them. At a point, I even thought they secretly liked each other.

I became like a mini celebrity for the remainder of the week as people kept looking at me with smiles on their faces as they walked past me. It was becoming really annoying, and I made, I think the second dumbest move I ever made in Unilag. I sat Bisi Sanmi down in class and told her we had to stop hanging out for a while till the rumours go away. She felt so dejected hearing me say what I said, but she quickly covered up her disappoint with a smile.

And that was how my friendship with Bisi Sanmi ended. And my pursuit of Debby continued.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo8080: 7:43pm On Jan 24, 2019
If you haven't read it already, you can read my new short crime story here- https://www.nairaland.com/4979449/sniper-short-crime-story-olumide
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 9:11pm On Jan 24, 2019
Thanks for the update Boss

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Olabantu(m): 10:37pm On Jan 24, 2019
Guy aw far na, I could relate with the shy part but this one is totally off...really off

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Treasure17(m): 11:12pm On Jan 24, 2019
Thanks for the update Kay.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by BIGGIE121(m): 9:02am On Jan 25, 2019
Well done kayo08 , more energy to your elbow

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by CaZmir: 9:50am On Jan 25, 2019
Kunle mumu never do.
Kayo8080 thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by izaray(f): 10:07am On Jan 25, 2019
Kunle too mumu abeg

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by queenitee(f): 6:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
Mean, Kunle is just dumb

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 25, 2019
Well done Op

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:46pm On Jan 28, 2019
Kay how dhy go dhy go nah

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Etsyl: 2:26pm On Jan 31, 2019
OP update na

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2019
Hope all is well Op?

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 8:27pm On Jan 31, 2019
Boss Kayo80, where art thou

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:35pm On Jan 31, 2019
Hey guys... Sorry for the break in transmission. I got real busy with something. I will continue the story this weekend.
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 1:31am On Feb 01, 2019
kayo80:
Hey guys... Sorry for the break in transmission. I got real busy with something. I will continue the story this weekend.

No problem wink

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:14pm On Feb 01, 2019
Chapter 8: And then it Happened

The examination period went by pretty fast, and we were given just two weeks vacation before the start of second semester. A few people didn’t leave school as they considered the holiday too short; Sope was one of those people. He was a very independent person, and felt there was no use going home. I went home for a few days, and returned back to my guardian’s house a full week before school was to resume. At the time, my accommodation processing had pulled through, and I was working on getting a nice bunk and corner before the other students arrived.

On one of those boring days during the break, I came on campus to secure a neat bunk for my room, and stopped by at the room Sope was squatting at so we could go together. We were going to be staying together anyway, so it made sense for us to go there together.
After getting the bunk, and completing my accommodation processing at the porters lodge of the hall, we left for Moremi Hall. Sope said he wanted to see his friend, Sade, who shared the same room with Debby. It was in the cab, on our way there that he told me he had run into Debby a couple of times since the break, and that she hadn’t gone home too. Debby lived in Oyo state, so I understood why she chose to stay behind too.

Knowing that I was going to see Debby again gave me butterflies in my tummy. I was suddenly happy.

The whole hall was scanty when we walked in; I could hear echoes in some of the rooms as we climbed up the stairs. We caught Sade walking out of the door when we got to their room. Her face brightened up when she saw Sope, and he tickled her when they hugged, making her laugh even more. She was a pretty reserved, brown skinned, petite beauty, always in jeans and long sleeve shirts. She smiled to greet me as the three of us stood by the room entrance and talked for a while, before she ran off, saying we could wait for her, since Debby was inside; the sound of that name made my heart skip a beat.

I took a deep breath as we walked in. The room was one of the large ones in the hall. It had four demarcated corners, cut off with metal bunk beds. Sade and Debby had the far right corner, with the window view. The corner had enough space in the middle, Debby’s double bunk to the left, and Sade’s single bunk on the right by the wall. And their wardrobes were backing the entrance, opposite the window view.

Debby had already heard us talking, so she walked up to meet us half way with a cheerful look. She had the same white boob tube on from the last time, but she wore an unbuttoned black short sleeve shirt on it this time. The brown Capri pants she had on showed off her fresh caramel complexioned legs.

I sat on the end of the bottom bunk close to the window, while Sope and Debby sat opposite me. Debby sat facing me directly with her legs folded on the bed. Sope was by the tip of the bed beside her. Unlike him, Sope didn’t say much, he just let us talk. I was in rare form that day and kept a healthy conversation going with Debby. I was feeling great until I noticed Sope’s hands creeping up Debby’s chest like a smooth criminal. Without overreacting, or breaking eye contact with me, she slowly brushed off his hand. I kept on talking and pretended not to notice Sope making repeated attempts to handle her breasts. At a point she stopped shoving his hand away, and he had a field day.

The strangest thing ever was happening right before my very eyes, Sope kept gently caressing her boobs, while we went on talking. I got up abruptly and said we had to leave. There was disappointment in her eyes as she asked me why we had to leave so soon. I looked at her a bit longer than normal, wondering what was on her mind. Did she really want me to stay? Or was she enjoying what Sope was doing to her so much that she didn’t want it to stop? I didn’t know the answer to that question. Or more like, I didn’t want to accept the reality at hand. I was in a confused state.

As Sope and I walked out of the hall, we joked about what he had been doing to her like typical teenage boys that we were. But deep down inside, I was hurting badly. I felt like a piece of shit. I couldn’t blame Sope for what he did because that was his nature. And he also believed I had gotten over Debby and was now dating Bisi Sanmi.

Sope dropped at his hall and I continued the ride to the school gate. After going through the events of the day in my head, and recalling all the bad experiences I had had with females in the last couple of weeks, I concluded that it was best to totally pull back from the dating scene. I just wasn’t built for this, I thought to myself.

My mind went back to a field trip to Epe we had embarked on during the orientation weeks, and I remembered an incidence where I had to lap one of my course mates to and fro the trip. She was the only person without a seat, and had jokingly asked if she could sit on my lap, and I said yes. Even though she was one of the prettiest girls on that bus ride, I didn’t even feel uncomfortable or try to start a conversation with her. I could remember Debby turning around from two rows in front and winking at me like I was the man.

As I thought of that day and how in control I was, I tried to remember what exactly I was focused on at the time. I remembered I was discussing rap music with my friend Dare and some of my other course mates. Right there and then, I made up my mind to shift my recreational focus from girls to hip hop music.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Olabantu(m): 11:08pm On Feb 01, 2019
I love this.... It called Risk Avoidance in economics

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by superjaks(m): 11:10pm On Feb 01, 2019
Mr Kayo80... I gbadun this update o

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Treasure17(m): 12:02am On Feb 02, 2019
Thanks for the update.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 11:23am On Feb 02, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by carloz685(m): 10:26pm On Feb 04, 2019
You never cease to amaze me... This is wonderful...

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Feb 04, 2019
no update yet ?

I go fight with this op o....

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 6:40pm On Feb 05, 2019
Chapter 9: The Red Sand Incidence

Second semester started off slow. Some days, we would have just one lecturer come in, and the rest of the day would be spent talking to friends. A few people had gotten phones over the short holiday, but at least ninety percent of us were still phoneless. Not like now when you could play candy crush on your phone, chat on whatsapp, or read stories on Nairaland; back then, you were forced to actually interact with people around you.

I was quite a reserved individual, but I turned to an extrovert whenever I met someone that shared the same taste in music as me. It was 2002, the height of the Nas and Jay Z beef. Most days, it would be Dare and I, arguing with Jay Z fans on why Nas was a better rapper. We would argue till we got all sweaty. Girls no longer existed to me; I just listened to Nas’s Stillmatic album all day on my Discman, and looked for someone new I could turn to Nas fan like me.

After classes, Sope, Dare, Babatope and I would go to over to fair Kunle’s room in Sodeinde Hall as it was the closest to class, and we would listen to Nas’s One Mic on repeat, getting hyped at the part in the second verse were he raps, ‘There’s nothing in our way; they bust, we bust, they rush, we rush.” Or we would listen to Nas’s Smokin song, reciting the part of the song where he says, “Do it like this niggas, right hand in the air. Ball it to a fist and put it over your heart. Now let’s say it all together, let the ceremony start. I shall- stay real stay true stay holding figures. Never put a bitch over my niggas. I shall never, cooperate with the law. Never snake me, I always hold you down in war.”

Saying those words out now, sounds more like a cult initiation, but truth be told asides Sope, we were all mommy’s boys at the time. That part of the song just gave us a sense of brotherhood, and it lasted all through our years in Unilag. Really, at the time, I just wanted a strong distraction from girls, and the whole Hip Hop disciple thing was working like magic for me. My confidence level also went up because, one, I never had to worry about girls again, and two, people respected my deep knowledge of Hip Hop music. I was making new friends daily.

Georgie was one of my new friends; a rap music enthusiast like me and yet the smartest kid in class. He drove a white Benz 200, and he stayed in the same Sodeinde Hall with fair Kunle. I was now on campus, in a hall called Newest Hall, and Georgie would come over to see Sope and I at night some times. One evening, he came over to play a new Hip Hop tape he had just gotten. It was a rapper named Canibus, and the guy was rapping two verses at the same time. It was nothing like what I had ever heard. It was me, Sope, Georgie and two of his friends in the Benz listening to the song, and passing around a pack of Don Simon Vino Tinto red wine.

One of Georgie’s friends suggested we go to Red Sand, and after a few minutes of deliberations amongst ourselves, a unanimous decision was reached. Georgie fired up the engine of his classic Benz, and we headed out to red sand. Where was red sand? It was an abandoned football field on campus where boys go to smoke weed. The clay soil present in the place gave it the name red sand. Although I wasn’t a smoker, I was not a mood killer either. So, I just held on to the pack of Don Simon in my hand, knowing that was what I would be nursing while everyone was passing the weed around.

The place was close to Georgie’s hall, and after dropping everyone off, he drove to his hall, parked the Benz, and came back on foot to join us.

I enjoyed the beautiful twilight view in front of me- watching the sun go down from where I sat by goal post, sipping my drink and talking Hip Hop with my friends. The field was very large, and it had swamp bushes to the right, with the school’s sports center walls behind us.

After a while, I started feeling uncomfortable, because I felt like we were like sitting ducks. If the school security came around, there would be very little hiding spots. My paranoia was getting the best of me, and I started looking around for an escape route. Just then, I spotted the security van, driving through the road along the open field. Guys quickly threw away the weed and stayed still. It was dark now, and we were hoping they wouldn’t notice us. They were almost out of sight, when the van suddenly stopped, and started reversing.

By the time they were driving into the field, everyone had scatted. My heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. We couldn’t run into swamps, and we couldn’t run onto the road either, as they would spot us easily. Someone suggested we scale the fence into the Sports Centre. That wall must have been like ten feet high, but the adrenaline in our system had us jumping over it like it was nothing.

We were very lucky as there was a show going on in the Sports Centre, so we blended with the crowd. Even if the security were to jump over in pursuit, they would never identify us.

As I pushed through the crowd, heart still beating, I saw Tony Tetuila on stage with two hype men, performing his hit song, ‘You Don Hit My Car.’ It made me wonder; what would have been our fate if Georgie hadn’t decided to park the Benz in his hall.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:20pm On Feb 05, 2019
Good work kay grin

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:49pm On Feb 05, 2019
Hey guys, can you tell me your favorite chapters do far. I want to put one chapter of the story as an excerpt on my facebook and just want to know the most catchy chapter.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 10:20pm On Feb 05, 2019
kayo80:
Hey guys, can you tell me your favorite chapters do far. I want to put one chapter of the story as an excerpt on my facebook and just want to know the most catchy chapter.

Thanks in advance.

chapter 1 got me glued to this....I think you should drop updates more often...and you should try to monetise this so as to encourage yourself to write more...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:27pm On Feb 05, 2019
Electricboy:

chapter 1 got me glued to this....I think you should drop updates more often...and you should try to monetise this so as to encourage yourself to write more...

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by carloz685(m): 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2019
I need to tell you that it's hard to pick one chapter... So anyone that has more suspense would do... Love the update... Wishing it would come daily...���

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 12:04am On Feb 06, 2019
carloz685:
I need to tell you that it's hard to pick one chapter... So anyone that has more suspense would do... Love the update... Wishing it would come daily...���

Okay. Thanks.

I will try and update daily. Or at least 5 times a week.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 06, 2019
Interesting story
Read more Romantic,adventure and cool story on

www.emperorblog.com.ng

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Read For Free: Blood On The Altar / The Day The Clouds Turned Red (crime Story) / Fear No More (A Romance Thriller)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.