Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,396 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company (6908 Views)

Kalu Solutions - A New Web Development Company / I Need A Good Web Development Company For Training / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by thelastdon(m): 8:57am On Jan 11, 2006
What And What Does It Takes To Start/own A Web Development/hosting Company

Hello Nairalanders,

In accordance to the topic for this thread, I would like to know what it cost to start a nigerian based website hosting company, how do someone go about it.

I think this thread should be able to find solutions to my request and also to other people coming up in this way.

I would be very grateful if Nairalanders can treat me very well with good answers and opinions
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by layi(m): 2:02pm On Jan 11, 2006
I dont think its worth it now. U'll need to have dedicated servers powered round the clock. With the erractic power supply in Nigeria..u'll be running huge cost and i dont know how u intend to still remain competitive on the global scale.

Anyway i'ld advise u start by reselling webspace. I do that. Though u'll need extensive advertisement/marketing to break even but its better than startin ur own host company in Nigeria.

Well, nothing ventured. nothing gained. Contact yamaguchi to help u set up a web host company.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by thelastdon(m): 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2006
yamaguchi?
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by Seun(m): 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2006
Did you read Kazey's thread titled starting your own web hosting company?
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by oasis: 10:53pm On Jan 12, 2006
It all depends on the scale of your operation.

I have no idea how much dedicated hosting costs in Nigeria, but you can definitely run a business in Nigeria, while having your hosting provider say in America. No need for worrying about power failures, security, etc.

Here's what you do:

1. You build a powerful server machine. I have several servers. They typically cost me about $1,500 to build. One of them has been running about 50 websites for over 2 years now without a problem.

2. Once you have your machine built, sign up for a colocation account. Send the server to your service provider, usually in the USA. I have seen people in the USA send servers to the Nethelands for hosting.

3. When your machine is online, you can access it via SSH, and perform any operation on it remotely.

4. It's now easy to create hosting accounts for your clients. I do all my stuff on the commandline because it's free. But some people prefer solutions such as Plesk.

Typical colocation cost for moderate data transfer is $50 a month. I have 5 servers in the same location, and I pay $300 a month for all of them.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by thelastdon(m): 8:20am On Jan 13, 2006
Some body told me the best way is to start as a reseller, by this way I would know much about what it takes.

what do y'all see about that?
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by kazey(m): 9:25am On Jan 13, 2006
I don't see how co-location from Nigeria to the USA would work, except you have a technical friend that is located in the USA that would do all the runnings. Shipping such a hardware from Nigeria, would cost you a fortune.

if you choose to co-locate, you first must purchase all of the hardware (a server - worth between $2,000 and $5,000 low-to-mid end.) We are talking about using the right racks, and cooling fans and hardware for such an implementation. Not just any system.
This option is attractive when you have knowledge in the hardware and software running on your system, but nevertheless it is costly.

The disadvantages of collocations are:-

1. You or your employees must be technically sound in that relation.

2. Software licensing cost can surg very high, especially when it comes to renting the panels of today, and paying through the nose for original OS platforms like Windows, besides other softwares like Firewalls etc. You cannot use a pirated software !!

3. Possible Hardware failure that might affect your business due to the dowtime , during replacement. As the owner you need to have backup hardwares, unlike conventional dedicated servers the replace hardwares without charging you.Parts, labour and warranty is your responsibility.

4. All configuration and loading of the OS and software is carried out by you.

5.Another drawback to collocation can be fluctuating prices. Since one of the factors in the monthly rate of collocating a server is the amount of data transferred via the server in the monthly period, an unusually large amount of traffic in a monthly period can cause the bill for the service to jump dramatically.

Is Colocation the Way to Go?

If you are a big organisation and need a dedicated secure custom software besides hardware to run your applications. Then yes, its the right choice.

If you are a new company trying to go into the web hosting industry. No, because it would bankcrupt you.

We do use a co-located server located in Malaysia, so I really know what I am talking about. I use it to host a Nigerian government site.

As a starter depending on what kind of knowledge you have, it is either you go for a reseller package, and see how comfortable you are, or you just jump into getting a dedicated server. But whatever you choose, please note your cashflow, how much is the running cost, compare to the amount you are making every day.

My advice to starters, is get your market share first, in a duration of 1 year, and then expand based on that. Dont rush unnecessarily, we made some mistakes at the beginning, due to our inexperience, and we don't want you to repeat the same mistake again.

You want to make money? Start small and expand generously.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by ijebu(m): 12:39pm On Jan 13, 2006
I will agree that all you need to start a web hosting business in Nigeria is to either start as an affiliate to leading hosting provider in Nigeria or as a reseller. You only need N19,800 to start a full private label web hosting business, where you will be able to design different web packages for your clients and determine your own price. The reseller hosting package you go for should have both Web Host manager and cpanel for each of your client.
If you are upcoming web designer you will need a package that has online web builder and templates and auto script installer .
Then you also need to register the domains of your clients and this you can do with only N1,400 for each domain. You can see the pacakges offer by either www.abimco.com or www.nairahost.com. These are about the best Web Host Resellers in Nigeria now.
I wish you the best of luck
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by brushparke(m): 1:06pm On Jan 13, 2006
This is really interesting.Please do not fail to take a look at www.hostportfolio.com/resellers.htm where you can start your own web hosting business with just N17,000.00. 1gb/20gb monthly transfer .What's more , you can host unlimited domains plus 1 free domain name.It's a limited time offer.Wonderful.You can pay monthly ,twice yearly or even yearly depending on your budget.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by bolaoni(m): 5:54pm On Jan 13, 2006
The best way to start is as a reseller. Search on Google for "Reseller Hosting" and see several options come up.

Bola
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by ijebu(m): 7:41pm On Jan 13, 2006
bolaoni:

The best way to start is as a reseller. Search on Google for "Reseller Hosting" and see several options come up.

Bola

I totally support Bola that the best way to start as a reseller in Nigeria is to search top saerch engines like google, yahoo, msn for " Reseller host Nigeria" or " Reseller Host in Nigeria" or " Web Host in Nigeria" and pick top ranked providers from the search engines results compare their ratings on each of the search engines and their packages.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by otokx(m): 7:50pm On Jan 13, 2006
is this thing really worth it?
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by oasis: 8:57pm On Jan 13, 2006

I don't see how co-location from Nigeria to the USA would work, except you have a technical friend that is located in the USA that would do all the runnings. Shipping such a hardware from Nigeria, would cost you a fortune.

I agree, shipping costs could be high.  However, you ignored my opening statement:" It all depends on the scale of your operation."

if you choose to co-locate, you first must purchase all of the hardware (a server - worth between $2,000 and $5,000 low-to-mid end.) We are talking about using the right racks, and cooling fans and hardware for such an implementation. Not just any system.
This option is attractive when you have knowledge in the hardware and software running on your system, but nevertheless it is costly.

Actually, you can build one now for $1,000.  If you want to know how, let me know and I'd post specs.
Although that is still a lot of money, would it be cheaper using any other hosting plan.  Don't forget that the $1,000 is a one-time expense.

If you install RHEL, and choose server install, it practically has it ready to go with all required tools for hosting your sites.  All you do is configure your NIC card with your static IP, and you're ready to roll.  Even firewall is automatically configured.  Of course you need other post-install stuff that need to be done, but there's a lot of guide online for that.

2. Software licensing cost can surg very high, especially when it comes to renting the panels of today, and paying through the nose for original OS platforms like Windows, besides other softwares like Firewalls etc. You cannot use a pirated software !!

Software licensing is $0 for me.
But I do realise that not everybody knows Linux.
However, if you're serious about running servers online, you better find a way to jump on the open source bandwagon.  It'd save you tens, if not hundreds of thousands of $$ in the long run.

3. Possible Hardware failure that might affect your business due to the dowtime , during replacement. As the owner you need to have backup hardwares, unlike conventional dedicated servers the replace hardwares without charging you.Parts, labour and warranty is your responsibility.

True.  But you can anticipate all that in the kind of machine you build.
For example, raid5 will allow your machine to keep running, even if one of your hard drives fail.  Your raid monitor will send you an email to report such failure.  You simply purchase another hard drive, bring the machine down for 10 minutes plug the new drive in, and the raid will rebuild itself.

And why not, if you know how?

5.Another drawback to collocation can be fluctuating prices. Since one of the factors in the monthly rate of collocating a server is the amount of data transferred via the server in the monthly period, an unusually large amount of traffic in a monthly period can cause the bill for the service to jump dramatically.

Actually, if you look around, you can find good deals that offer very huge data transfer for the same monthly cost.
I've been running image servers for a few years now, and I've never had to pay extra. 
Your point is correct, but it doesn't apply to everybody equally.

If you are a big organisation and need a dedicated secure custom software besides hardware to run your applications. Then yes, its the right choice.

If you are a new company trying to go into the web hosting industry. No, because it would bankcrupt you.

We do use a co-located server located in Malaysia, so I really know what I am talking about. I use it to host a Nigerian government site.

Don't get overly dramatic here.
It is clear your analysis is totally skewed against colocation.  What about the advantages it does offer?
Ability to install any application you need.
Unlimited storage space.
Unlimited domains.
Ability to add more ram, faster drives, change cpu, etc.
If you need unusual DNS configuration, you're not encombered by your isp's setup.
To get these things in a different hosting plan, you have to pay a lot more money to the isp.
There are even things your isp will tell you is impossible, period.
Basically, when you control your own box, you can scale up without any worries.

Here is the bottomline:

You're correct to say that colocation requires more tech know-how.  But, if you're going into hosting other people's sites, you might as well just educate yourself, because questions are going to come in from your customers.

A server machine can be built for $1,000.  If you have to build a $5,000, then you're not a small operation, which then counters your argument against colocation.

Your machine doesn't necessarily have to be anything special to be a server.  Any regular beefed up system can serve as a server machine.  Just get plenty of RAM, and SATA hard drives in raid configuration.  My site http://www.oasisoflove.com received 1,058,838 hits last month, and it's hosted on a regular $1,200 machine.

No software licensing if you use open source software.

If you set things up properly, no maintenance is required.  Linux can run for years without the need for a reboot.  I do daily backups without lifting a finger.  Even though my machine is colocated about 1000 miles from me, I have a home computer setup to do backups remotely.  Take a look at rsync over ssh.

Finally let me ask, what is the total monthly cost of colocation compared to a reseller program?
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by pasuma(m): 2:26pm On Mar 18, 2006
sup guyz , like someone sent me some books on webhosting, webdesign as attachment last month b4 going to camp (NYSC) but cudn't get them anymore in my box . If u r the one, can u PS help send them

again . i'm in need of them .

Thanx

pasoma
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by smartsoft(m): 7:19pm On Apr 01, 2008
The guestion is how to start a webshosting/development company, not how much does it cost to start or whatever because i'm seeing peeps here listing how much they sell reseller or domain,

@oasis you say you  have 5 servers in the same location, and I pay $300 a month for all of them. how come is your website not running ?

thelastdon ,  what you need is an advice on what to do on how to start, what to look for and where to get your hosting from and also perhaps you might also need package  start with. i will say if you are aquainted with hosting or cpanel, i will advice you to start with a reseller packages or if you want something more bigger than that, i will suggest you go for VPS too. Hosting is a long time business,  you can start from  small and move big you know what i mean, 

First off, go to google and learn some stuff about hosting and come back and sit down and decide on what to do,   it all depends on your budget thelastdon,   let me know if you have any challenge smartsoft@live.com
kazey:

As a starter depending on what kind of knowledge you have, it is either you go for a reseller package, and see how comfortable you are, or you just jump into getting a dedicated server. But whatever you choose, please note your cashflow, how much is the running cost, compare to the amount you are making every day.

My advice to starters, is get your market share first, in a duration of 1 year, and then expand based on that. Dont rush unnecessarily, we made some mistakes at the beginning, due to our inexperience, and we don't want you to repeat the same mistake again.

You want to make money? Start small and expand generously.

Thank you kazey for that. what is the essence of doing a co-lation from nigeria to USA, when you can just buy your Dedicated server online and run it if you can manage it fine or if you want the ISP to manage it for you,   colation from nigeria, is a big waste of time,  even the best Hosting Coy in nigeria that people mention don't co-late or whatever is been called, they buy online, and do the rest or have them manage it for them. you must have a sound knowledge about SERVERS

Well thelastdon just start with a reseller hosting,  we also started with reseller hosting too and we graduated from that to VPS and later Dedicated Server,  I'm proud to say we've managed servers for two companies and now contracted is now expired.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by Glidia: 11:13am On Jan 22, 2011
In order to get the hosting service make use of this site http://www.tucktail.com/tt/domain-hosting-plans/  , it provides hosting service at cheap cost .
Recently i got the hosting service in this site & got nice solution ,
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by bug24(m): 2:00pm On Jan 22, 2011
Glidia:

In order to get the hosting service make use of this site http://www.tucktail.com/tt/domain-hosting-plans/  , it provides hosting service at cheap cost .
Recently i got the hosting service in this site & got nice solution ,

Get off this place if u have nothing to contribute. mcheeewww.

small thing y@ll will start advertising ur resellers. Dont disturb me o. am learning some few thangs here. [size=15pt]STOP DERAILING[/size]
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by tunde247: 11:34am On Jan 30, 2011
go to syskay.com and start off
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by james85: 10:34am On Feb 11, 2012
Try Virtual Private Server for an enterprise class hosting solution. Its Enterprise vApp Inventory is available to meet all of our hosting requirements, including: High Availability LAMP vAPP -- The High Availability vAPP includes the full LAMP vAPP with an additional Linux virtual machine with Apache and PHP installed and one NAS virtual machine. All virtual machines are connected via a private network.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by ilekky(m): 4:35pm On Feb 11, 2012
It is always good to start as a reseller.I believe in what everybody said but

you must be careful.Just start as a reseller and watch your list grow.The number

of people in your web hosting will determine the profit you will be making.You will

also need to be aggressive in your marketing.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by get2tauseef: 9:21am On Jul 24, 2014
Hi

I really liked this thread useful and it has cleared most of my doubts about how to start a web hosting business. What i figured our reading to many article on internet e.g http://freeasp.net/how-to-start-web-hosting-company/, Reseller Hosting is the best way to start a web hosting business.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by dimensionseo: 11:34am On Feb 19, 2016
I am looking SSD hosting services for http://www.dianaboluk.co.uk website. Please suggest which one will be good to target united kingdom location.
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by geometrydash: 5:13am On May 13, 2016
Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Thanks for giving me the useful information. I think I need it!
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by geometrydash: 5:13am On May 13, 2016
Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.
http://geometrydash.co/
http://happywheels10.com
http://agario0.com
http://snipergamesaz.com
http://happywheels2.co/
http://fivenightsatfreddysaz.com
https://sites.google.com/site/unblockedgames68
http://unblockedgamescom.com
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by nicolai123az: 9:16am On May 16, 2016
Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.
http://www.masashoes.com/best-basketball-shoes/
http://www.masashoes.com/
http://www.hubnames.com/
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by creativesirg(m): 12:40pm On Oct 23, 2016
I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you

I have visited your website.It is very interesting and impressive.Thanks for sharing with us such a brilliant article.I want to come again.Keep updated.For
https:///qRkdKR
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by charlesdan558(m): 9:24pm On Oct 26, 2016
Useful information. Lucky me I found your web site by chance, and I’m surprised why this coincidence did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.
I liked this post and not only this post I l also read other posts also and they all are quite interested and informative. I'll bookmark this blog in my favorite list.For Godaddy webmail guide.

https:///0HlyOk
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 29, 2016
Seun:
Did you read Kazey's thread titled starting your own web hosting company?
[url=nairaland.com/kazey/webmasters/starting your own web hosting company[url] kazeys [/url]
Re: How To Start A Web Hosting/Development Company by Hong91: 4:31pm On Mar 03, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Six Best Ways To Monetize A Blog Without Pasting Ads / How To Subscribe To Airtel 6GB For #500 And 2GB For #200 / 2014/2015 Waec Gce Time Table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.