Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

The GCAM Craze - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The GCAM Craze (5797 Views)

Xiaomi Mi A3 Unboxing, Review & Price. Mi A3 + GCAM Vs iPhone 11 Pro Camera / Nokia 7.2 Unboxing And Full Review. Default Camera Vs GCAM V7 + Price (photos) / Nokia 6.1 Plus(X6) Unboxing, Review and Comparison With 5.1 Plus and GCAM Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2019
The Google camera which is an application designed by Google mostly for their pixel devices has stolen the hearts of so many camera freaks and enthusiast. The Google camera popularly known as Gcam has being hugely successfully in exploring the depths of mobile photography, the portrait mode features is one of the mostly used feature on the application as users are now capable of creating that thousand dollar DSLR effect with just a few bucks or there about. The app also offers a night sight feature which enhances photos taken at night without the use of the flash but this doesn't stop there since Gcam's high dynamic range is being considered as one of the best an application could offer.
I made mention earlier that this application was made explicitly available for most Google devices but due to its huge commercial success, several modified versions of the application have popped up all over the internet. Experts in software and custom ROMs have modified the application to suit different phone models other than that of Google's such as the Nokia Android series including the X6, Xiaomi, One Plus etc. These modified versions have given phone users a taste of the Gcam's experience and it's "fluidity", although since the Google camera has being modified and not the original versions there tend to be bugs and complications arising from its use. it's quite difficult not to consider utilizing the power of the Gcam but this usually requires you to root your device to enjoy its features, the results from the shots taken with the app are quite stunning compared to the phone's native camera. it's worthy to also note that the app mainly extend the hardware capabilities of the phone so don't expect a camera phone of f/1.8 to be the same as that of f/2.2 even while utilizing Google camera.
Re: The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 9:15pm On Jan 15, 2019
Camera samples

Re: The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 9:23pm On Jan 15, 2019

Re: The GCAM Craze by Microphobia(m): 9:29pm On Jan 15, 2019
Do you have the link for us to download
Re: The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 9:33pm On Jan 15, 2019
Microphobia:
https://www.celsoazevedo.com
Re: The GCAM Craze by Gptech(m): 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2019
mikeycharles:
Camera samples
Do you think a camera with f1. 8 is better than another with f2.2?
Re: The GCAM Craze by henry007(m): 11:00pm On Jan 15, 2019
Can one even see the difference on nairaland?

Maybe on twitter
https://twitter.com/KneWKeeD/status/1066410428555816960?s=19
Re: The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 12:02am On Jan 16, 2019
You know what's really funny? It's mostly Xiaomi phone users that are installing these mods to fix their bad cameras

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The GCAM Craze by kvngjesse(m): 2:29am On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:
You know what's really funny? It's mostly Xiaomi phone users that are installing these mods to fix their bad cameras
Don't be dumb

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The GCAM Craze by stephinnoyewole(m): 4:40am On Jan 16, 2019
Microphobia:
Dnt waste ur data, it will say unable to install
Re: The GCAM Craze by Psychodavidovic(m): 6:14am On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:

Just because we want something better doesn't mean the one we have is bad.
Re: The GCAM Craze by Lavoca: 6:21am On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:
[s]You know what's really funny? It's mostly Xiaomi phone users that are installing these mods to fix their bad cameras[/s]
Not everyone using a Xiaomi phone needs or wants GCAM. Why can't you say the low end and midrange users instead of generalising?

Do you expect a 50k Xiaomi to give you performance of a 300k+ Google pixel? Like someone said up there, this is 2019 DONT BE DUMB!!!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 7:06am On Jan 16, 2019
Lavoca:
Not everyone using a Xiaomi phone needs or wants GCAM. Why can't you say the low end and midrange users instead of generalising?

Do you expect a 50k Xiaomi to give you performance of a 300k+ Google pixel? Like someone said up there, this is 2019 DONT BE DUMB!!!
Quit with the clownery, the pocophone costs over a 100k and is considered a flagship but yet people still install GCAM on the "flagship" grin grin I have to laugh. Henry007 even posted a comparison photo between the stock camera and the GCam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The GCAM Craze by IKON360(m): 7:26am On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:
Quit with the clownery, the pocophone costs over a 100k and is considered a flagship but yet people still install GCAM on the "flagship" grin grin I have to laugh. Henry007 even posted a comparison photo between the stock camera and the GCam.
so all you do on nairaland is to criticise xiaomi phones? You won't go far if that's what you want your stock in trade to be.

10 Likes

Re: The GCAM Craze by kvngjesse(m): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:
Samsung users can use gcam and they do when they find out what Gcam actually is and how it performs, I know Samsung users who use it, One plus users use gcam.
Like its just something so good. Most users don't just know about it is why they don't use it or their phone can't use one.

12 Likes

Re: The GCAM Craze by MrGokay(m): 11:09am On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:

Smh

1 Like

Re: The GCAM Craze by saint2ace(m): 2:38pm On Jan 16, 2019
mikeycharles:

Did u say bad camera? What a joke. Installing modded camera apps is not surprising, Xiaomi has one of the largest numbers or developer base in the world and their hardware is built in such a way that it can work with a multiple array of software tinkering.

Being able to unlock the bootloader officially to harness the full potential of the phone is one reason people will continue to buy Xiaomi phone. Techy lovers and tinkering enthusiasts find it a perfect companion and speak about their adventures, thus the reason you hear so much about it..

Make u try open bootloader for Huawei phone Na.

NB: I don't use a Xiaomi phone yet but that doesn't mean I'll speak ill of what I don't understand.

12 Likes

Re: The GCAM Craze by MeshachMARTINS(m): 11:29pm On Jan 19, 2019
mikeycharles:
as if people dont install gcam on s9.....poco stock camer=impressive , +gcam= excellent ,,,abi its nor d stock camera of poco da carry 2nd in mkbhd video

9 Likes

Re: The GCAM Craze by Elxandre(m): 12:13am On Jan 20, 2019
saint2ace:

Did u say bad camera? What a joke. Installing modded camera apps is not surprising, Xiaomi has one of the largest numbers or developer base in the world and their hardware is built in such a way that it can work with a multiple array of software tinkering.

Being able to unlock the bootloader officially to harness the full potential of the phone is one reason people will continue to buy Xiaomi phone. Techy lovers and tinkering enthusiasts find it a perfect companion and speak about their adventures, thus the reason you hear so much about it..

Make u try open bootloader for Huawei phone Na.

NB: I don't use a Xiaomi phone yet but that doesn't mean I'll speak ill of what I don't understand.
You have sense.

1 Like

Re: The GCAM Craze by Darkseid(m): 12:57am On Jan 20, 2019
mikeycharles:
This one is looking for Tecno marketing job, it doesn't work that way oga.

3 Likes

Re: The GCAM Craze by Protein0: 9:35am On Jan 20, 2019
Darkseid:
This one is looking for Tecno marketing job, it doesn't work that way oga.

7 Likes

Re: The GCAM Craze by dasanchez1(m): 9:59am On Jan 20, 2019
Gptech:

explain more abeg
Re: The GCAM Craze by Elxandre(m): 11:37am On Jan 20, 2019
Gptech:

Yes I believe.
The high ends often come with lower than 2.0.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: The GCAM Craze by Gptech(m): 8:17pm On Jan 20, 2019
Elxandre:

Yes I believe.
The high ends often come with lower than 2.0.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
If it's true, then it means the Xiaomi Mi A2 should outperform the Sony Xperia XZ2 in photography grin.
Re: The GCAM Craze by Gptech(m): 8:35pm On Jan 20, 2019
dasanchez1:
explain more abeg
Apart from the aperture, other factors like ISO and shutter speed affect the quality of your pics. A wider aperture/lower f-number has the advantage of of giving you brighter pics in low light conditions but with the disadvantage of losing focus around the corners. Taking a group picture with a f3.5 is far better than using f1. 8 because only those at the middle will be in focus when using f1. 8, others will come out blurred. It's better to get a lens that can take clean pics with a higher ISO and f2.2 than use one with a lower ISO and shooting with f1. 8 all the time.
Re: The GCAM Craze by dasanchez1(m): 8:51pm On Jan 20, 2019
Gptech:

Apart from the aperture, other factors like ISO and shutter speed affect the quality of your pics. A wider aperture/lower f-number has the advantage of of giving you brighter pics in low light conditions but with the disadvantage of losing focus around the corners. Taking a group picture with a f3.5 is far better than using f1. 8 because only those at the middle will be in focus when using f1. 8, others will come out blurred. It's better to get a lens that can take clean pics with a higher ISO and f2.2 than use one with a lower ISO and shooting with f1. 8 all the time.
Based on this assertion, does it mean that Xiaomi Note 5AI, note 6 PRO AND NOTE 7 has higher ISO ? including Mi max3.. Also, how do we know that phone or camera has a lower ISO?
Re: The GCAM Craze by Gptech(m): 9:07pm On Jan 20, 2019
dasanchez1:
Based on this assertion, does it mean that Xiaomi Note 5AI, note 6 PRO AND NOTE 7 has higher ISO ? including Mi max3.. Also, how do we know that phone or camera has a lower ISO?
This is where software come to play, software is basically how the manufacturer implements the 3 parameters that affect light in photography - ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture, there are other parameters though like saturation, colour temperature, etc This is one reason a software update can improve the quality of your camera. In mobile photography, aperture cannot be tweaked or changed, its constant. This is what Samsung tried to solve abit with their variable aperture on the S9 series, but it's still just two apertures, f1.5 and f2.4 I think.
What am saying is, the aperture is always constant, but the ISO and shutter speed change with different light conditions when snapping with mobile phones, you can confirm by looking at the details/properties of different pics in your phone gallery.
Re: The GCAM Craze by dasanchez1(m): 9:19pm On Jan 20, 2019
Gptech:

This is where software come to play, software is basically how the manufacturer implements the 3 parameters that affect light in photography - ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture, there are other parameters though like saturation, colour temperature, etc This is one reason a software update can improve the quality of your camera. In mobile photography, aperture cannot be tweaked or changed, its constant. This is what Samsung tried to solve abit with their variable aperture on the S9 series, but it's still just two apertures, f1.5 and f2.4 I think.
What am saying is, the aperture is always constant, but the ISO and shutter speed change with different light conditions when snapping with mobile phones, you can confirm by looking at the details/properties of different pics in your phone gallery.
thanks for this knowledge acquired.
Re: The GCAM Craze by mikeycharles(m): 3:04am On Jan 21, 2019
I have another article coming up and its gonna be crazy
Re: The GCAM Craze by ddjay: 4:15pm On Aug 07, 2019
mikeycharles:
The Google camera which is an application designed by Google mostly for their pixel devices has stolen the hearts of so many camera freaks and enthusiast. The Google camera popularly known as Gcam has being hugely successfully in exploring the depths of mobile photography, the portrait mode features is one of the mostly used feature on the application as users are now capable of creating that thousand dollar DSLR effect with just a few bucks or there about. The app also offers a night sight feature which enhances photos taken at night without the use of the flash but this doesn't stop there since Gcam's high dynamic range is being considered as one of the best an application could offer.
I made mention earlier that this application was made explicitly available for most Google devices but due to its huge commercial success, several modified versions of the application have popped up all over the internet. Experts in software and custom ROMs have modified the application to suit different phone models other than that of Google's such as the Nokia Android series including the X6, Xiaomi, One Plus etc. These modified versions have given phone users a taste of the Gcam's experience and it's "fluidity", although since the Google camera has being modified and not the original versions there tend to be bugs and complications arising from its use. it's quite difficult not to consider utilizing the power of the Gcam but this usually requires you to root your device to enjoy its features, the results from the shots taken with the app are quite stunning compared to the phone's native camera. it's worthy to also note that the app mainly extend the hardware capabilities of the phone so don't expect a camera phone of f/1.8 to be the same as that of f/2.2 even while utilizing Google camera.
Well done op, one itzneowizy doesn't know what gcam is, this educative write up will help him know what gcam is. Itzneowizy pls read up, and make sure you come back to thank this op for his help
Re: The GCAM Craze by OgKelvin(m): 4:24pm On Aug 07, 2019
can it work on the a30 without being rooted?
Re: The GCAM Craze by dewhaley: 5:32pm On Aug 07, 2019
OgKelvin:
can it work on the a30 without being rooted?
Yes it will.. But without granting you opportunity to use the portrait mode

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ios, Anyone? / MTN Prestige Anniversarymtn Is Giving Free 750mb Data + 120 Minutes Of Free Call / You Can Now Update Your MTN SIM Registration Via Your BVN Number!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.