Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,098 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Hey My People - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Hey My People (4244 Views)

Hey Fam, It's A While. Here's Stunning Taino Bay Island In Dominican Republic . / Hey Guys I Got My Canadian Study Visa. What Airline Do You Recommend I Use / Hello My People... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 2:41am On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:
I will need you guys honest answer to this my desperate questions. I am 32yo us citizen and married and I have a CS degree. I miss Nigeria so much and would like to know if it is advisable to move back from America to Nigeria because I am very tired of working and paying bills it's becoming a nightmare that might not end soon. Thanks
Why Nigeria? As an US citizen you can go to live in almost any country in the world, Europe many, Caribbean, Latin America, Asia. Thailand is cheap and relaxing, good food too or go to Spain, Italy. Better chose the country where is a good internet and power always on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 3:24am On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

You're most welcome and I wish you the best as you determine next steps for your future in this great country.

I haven't met many Nigerians besides myself, and now you, who do not like Texas. I especially dislike Houston, it's a concrete Jungle with hardly any redeeming attributes. I like Dallas better but as a whole, Texas does not appeal to me. It's a an entirely different country grin

But I must ask you this. What makes you think you will like Nigeria if you are currently not liking Texas? One of my biggest reasons for not caring much for Texas, Houston especially is it's "Nigerian Factor". I'm curious if this is a a factor in your feelings.
lol you got me! It's more than a Nigeria issue though.i made a huge mistake leaving the northern side to the southern.

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 3:24am On Jan 17, 2019
Beautyaddy:

What a very good and educative advice Mancala offered with his/her post.

And let me also add my little cents and that is try to cut down on some unecessary expenses of wants( somethings you can do without) and try to set aside money for savings that you can use some for vacations times. And also try to have more relaxing time from work by just working the required 40hrs a week as much as possible.
yes definitely..Thanks too!
Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 3:27am On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:
lol you got me! It's more than a Nigeria issue though.i made a huge mistake leaving the northern side to the southern.
Same. Living in Dallas but the east cost it's better.
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 3:27am On Jan 17, 2019
Angela777:

Why Nigeria? As an US citizen you can go to live in almost any country in the world, Europe many, Caribbean, Latin America, Asia. Thailand is cheap and relaxing, good food too or go to Spain, Italy. Better chose the country where is a good internet and power always on.
I think it's more like I want to get back with my own people..No more learning new things I want to fall back to where I started.

3 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 3:30am On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

You're most welcome and I wish you the best as you determine next steps for your future in this great country.

I haven't met many Nigerians besides myself, and now you, who do not like Texas. I especially dislike Houston, it's a concrete Jungle with hardly any redeeming attributes. I like Dallas better but as a whole, Texas does not appeal to me. It's a an entirely different country grin

But I must ask you this. What makes you think you will like Nigeria if you are currently not liking Texas? One of my biggest reasons for not caring much for Texas, Houston especially is it's "Nigerian Factor". I'm curious if this is a a factor in your feelings.
So sir,if I may ask what state within the country is currently best for my situation to relocate to?
Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 4:08am On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:
I think it's more like I want to get back with my own people..No more learning new things I want to fall back to where I started.
This is nice, homeland

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Mancala: 4:46am On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:
So sir,if I may ask what state within the country is currently best for my situation to relocate to?

I cannot ascribe any such wisdom to myself as to think I am in a position to correctly prescribe a city for you to move to. However, I can attempt to equip you with some knowledge to help you decide. First, you said you are married with a kid. You need to put on your husband and father hats and keep them on permanently going forward, even as you think through this. What does your wife think about Texas and what is her opinion about relocating again? Does she have a job in Texas? Will she need to find another job if you move? Will you have any family support where you move to and do you have any in Texas? She needs to be carried along in this decision for y'all to be happy.

How about your child. What grade is your child in? I will advice that you set this child's education as a high priority in the sense that you choose a place that has very good/ high performing public school districts. The flip side is to eliminate any options with poor schools. If you move to a place with poor public schools, you will end up sending your child to private school which will drain your funds.

For quality of life, look at options with a major airport. This makes traveling easier especially if you're missing Nigeria and need to visit there ocassionally. Avoid cities known for high traffic that don't have good public transportation options. Most major cities carry Nigerian foods at least in Asian markets so look out for that. I have known folks that were miserably after moving for a high paying job because they couldn't get Nigerian food.

You, haven't really mentioned why you are unhappy in Texas. Ask yourself if this could be a fleeting or temporary feeling. Could you possibly feel diffferent in a couple months? Six months? Since you moved there recently, I'd say give it some time. Like I said, Texas is a whole different country, it takes getting used to.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hey My People by jesmond3945: 12:08pm On Jan 17, 2019
My advise for you is to have investment before you come down to Nigeria. Real estate is booming, you can build a school or a hotel or even an oil servicing firm or even a mall. Thats the only way to enjoy the country.
Re: Hey My People by Toseenlove: 1:08pm On Jan 17, 2019
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2019
[quote author=jesmond3945 post=74846722]My advise for you is to have investment before you come down to Nigeria. Real estate is booming, you can build a school or a hotel or even an oil servicing firm or even a mall. Thats the only way to enjoy the country.[/quote
Thank you thank you
Re: Hey My People by scholachatcopyw(f): 3:47pm On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:
Could you help me out with the place because we might not last longer over here before we move countries.Thanks

It's a place close to my house bro. There are some good installers that you can reach out to even from here, please check Tech section ensure you can get good references before you do business with any fellow
Re: Hey My People by scholachatcopyw(f): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2019
Angela777:

Pardon me ma'am, I took a few minutes to read through some of your posts. You are a White lady who has never been to Nigeria before so where did you get your views about the country from?
Re: Hey My People by scholachatcopyw(f): 4:04pm On Jan 17, 2019
drakeli:
He will pay the bills and get no service. At least where he is, he is enjoying what he’s paying bills for.

Pardon me sir, who will force him to pay bills here?
Re: Hey My People by Mancala: 4:33pm On Jan 17, 2019
Angela777:

This is a misconception. American citizens cannot easily/legally go live in almost any country in the world. Visit, Yes! Live NO! You will need to get an appropriate visa to go live in any of those countries you mentioned. On a scale of low to high difficulty, the Asian and Caribbean countries are on the low end while Europe is more difficult. An easier way to do this is through a retirement visa which entails proving a certain level of income or investment, and you may need to be over 50 to qualify. In his situation, he will need to move by means of a work visa to earn income and support his family in any of those countries. Not a fairly easy task even for an American citizen.

3 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2019
scholachatcopyw:

Pardon me ma'am, I took a few minutes to read through some of your posts. You are a White lady who has never been to Nigeria before so where did you get your views about the country from?

Funny statement. How do you know she hasn't visited Nigeria before

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 17, 2019
scholachatcopyw:
I was in Nigeria and other African countries too. What I know in Nigeria could be no power or no water sometimes and after the comfort in US for living and for to do business, it's not easy to get used to some things not working in Nigeria yet the OP is a Nigerian, he knows how to live over there.

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

This is a misconception. American citizens cannot easily/legally go live in almost any country in the world. Visit, Yes! Live NO! You will need to get an appropriate visa to go live in any of those countries you mentioned. On a scale of low to high difficulty, the Asian and Caribbean countries are on the low end while Europe is more difficult. An easier way to do this is through a retirement visa which entails proving a certain level of income or investment, and you may need to be over 50 to qualify. In his situation, he will need to move by means of a work visa to earn income and support his family in any of those countries. Not a fairly easy task even for an American citizen.
It is easy, not only for retirees, work, business or visit first and extend your stay, some income, not too much for an American, many live in countries where is the good internet and work online or open a small business, Europe (UK, Germany, Spain on the easy side), Asian countries happy to have Americans living in their country, Latin America too, Canada etc. Please, research and you would be surprised how is it. The things is many of us not going because our salaries in America are bigger, that's why mostly retirees are moving.
Re: Hey My People by Mancala: 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2019
Angela777:

It is easy, not only for retirees, work, business or visit first and extend your stay, some income, not too much for an American, many live in countries where is the good internet and work online or open a small business, Europe (UK, Germany, Spain on the easy side), Asian countries happy to have Americans living in their country, Latin America too, Canada etc. Please, research and you would be surprised how is it. The things is many of us not going because our salaries in America are bigger, that's why mostly retirees are moving.

I am interested to know under what visa category these Americans are living and working or running a small business? I maintain that it is not easy for an individual, except you are on an international transfer from a local American company that will get you a work visa or you are a retiree. I work for a global company with presence in 160 countries around the world. I manage people all around the world including folks who are transferred back and forth. There is no easy legal route. And note that you are only allowed to visit for a finite amount of time on the VWP. You will need an actual visa to stay and work. No job offer in the foreign country, no visa. And note that it is illegal for an individual to work online for renumeration while on the vwp except it is on a business visit tied to an American company. I know the games Americans play with extending their visit/stay in Thailand and oither Asian countries. It's still illegal to work. If you are caught, you will be deprted and forever inelligible for vwp in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

I am interested to know under what visa category these Americans are living and working or running a small business? I maintain that it is not easy for an individual, except you are on an international transfer from a local American company that will get you a work visa or you are a retiree. I work for a global company with presence in 160 countries around the world. I manage people all around the world including folks who are transferred back and forth. There is no easy legal route. And note that you are only allowed to visit for a finite amount of time on the VWP. You will need an actual visa to stay and work. No job offer in the foreign country, no visa. And note that it is illegal for an individual to work online for renumeration while on the vwp except it is on a business visit tied to an American company. I know the games Americans play with extending their visit/stay in Thailand and oither Asian countries. It's still illegal to work. If you are caught, you will be deprted and forever inelligible for vwp in the future.
https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/the-10-best-countries-for-expats
These Countries Make Immigration Super Easy For Americans
https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/immigration-super-easy-americans.html/
Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 8:17pm On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

Angela777:

This link still did not answer Mancala questions.

2 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 17, 2019
Beautyaddy:

This link still did not answer Mancala questions.
It does answer and I put the 2nd link. If you like any country, research how to go, how long you are allowed to stay as an American, some countries gives you extensions and extensions on American passport, how to get a job and where for to get a permanent residence, many European and Asian countries like to hire Americans and pay very well, many allow you to buy properties or just to live there working online, etc. American passport is an easy way to go to live where do you like and to work too, expats usually also advise and help you to get a job and place to live. Or you just show you have a stable income, not too much and get the residence. I have many friends living abroad, thinking about moving myself but have family in US, don't want to move alone.
Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 17, 2019
Now UAE, Dubai and Bahrain like to hire US citizens and pay much more than American companies pay back at home, also life there is very comfortable
Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:

Happens with age. I'd say make a few trips back home. Engage new friends new networks. Professional and otherwise.

Be open but cautious it will help you navigate home safely.

Check Nigerian road trip blogs, follow a few people who moved back home and get experiences. A number of them share their stories online and a few are on NL.

Don't rush this and put a game plan together.

Stay safe..and consider nonUS options too.
Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 17, 2019
Lastly please please don't make any real estate investment in Nigeria until you have visited ENOUGH times to know the good the bad and the ugly.
Way too many people looking to take advantage.

2 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Mancala: 10:30pm On Jan 17, 2019
Angela777:
Now UAE, Dubai and Bahrain like to hire US citizens and pay much more than American companies pay back at home, also life there is very comfortable

You links are validating my points. You need a visa to stay long term beyond the terms of the VWP. For self sponsorship, you will need lots of cash to invest .... or retirement income. If you need to work to survive, you need a work visa which is sponsored by an employer.
Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 10:41pm On Jan 17, 2019
Angela777:

These Countries Make Immigration Super Easy For Americans
https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/immigration-super-easy-americans.html/
Thanks for the Links.I think Canada will do.

1 Like

Re: Hey My People by Reeses: 10:45pm On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

You links are validating my points. You need a visa to stay long term beyond the terms of the VWP. For self sponsorship, you will need lots of cash to invest .... or retirement income. If you need to work to survive, you need a work visa which is sponsored by an employer.
You are right but the those countries makes it easier for a Us citizen to migrate over.it might be a little hard but US citizen will always get a Visa as far as you have no criminal backround and a bachelor degree helps too.
Re: Hey My People by Babyvet: 10:56pm On Jan 17, 2019
Reeses:

Thanks for the Links.I think Canada will do.

I would advise against Canada, I would encourage you to stay in America for now . The economy is okay and we have a lot more job opportunities than Canada. The only time I recommend Canada is for people coming from third world countries or people living in the US illegally or no pathway/very long wait times to permanent residency.

2 Likes

Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 17, 2019
Mancala:

Not true. What for you is a lot of money to invest, for us are peanuts. What for you is hard to find a job or to pay a lawyer to extend stay or to get a work permit, for an American is a common sense and not expensive. There are countries which ask for $800-2,500 USD monthly income for to show and get your visa long term or residence, any average American can show more than that and move and also work online or from home which many of us do. Any monthly income working from home or online covers this kind of income for to live in any other country. So easy to move abroad but many of us have family, kids studying in US, our property, house, car, all kind of comfort and a better job in US, so not everybody wants to move to another country.
Re: Hey My People by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 17, 2019
Babyvet:

I would advise against Canada, I would encourage you to stay in America for now . The economy is okay and we have a lot more job opportunities than Canada. The only time I recommend Canada is for people coming from third world countries or people or people living in the US illegally or no pathway/very long wait times to permanent residency.
This is true, in America we have better opportunities and better pay than in Canada but it depends of the job you find in Canada, it could be sometimes better and it's easy to move to Canada and back to US if you don't like it. Very good healthcare and education for kids are 2 strong points in Canada.

And yes, I agree, if the person is illegal or applying not from US but from Africa and was denied the US visa, 2nd choice should be Canada to immigrate
Re: Hey My People by Beautyaddy: 1:10am On Jan 18, 2019
Babyvet:

I would advise against Canada, I would encourage you to stay in America for now . The economy is okay and we have a lot more job opportunities than Canada. The only time I recommend Canada is for people coming from third world countries or people living in the US illegally or no pathway/very long wait times to permanent residency.

Huh

But why not Canada?

It's a very peaceful and immigrant friendly country.

They also practice more of a Socialist way of government than the US.

One of the of their Socialist support that comes to mind in Canada is that they pay women who just after giving birth 6 months to one year maternity leave with pay.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Family Trip To Orlando - Pics / Dubai Uae Or Istanbul Turkey Which One Is The Best Place To Hustle / Pop Cola A Lebanese Locally Produc Drink While Nigerians Are Japaning To The Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.