Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community (8593 Views)

Pictures Of Peter Obi In Town Hall Meeting With The Business Community / Photos From Bola Tinubu Meeting With The Business Community / North-East Business Community Picks PDP Nomination Forms For Atiku Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by OEPHIUS(m): 9:09am On Jan 17, 2019
Atiku’s Pro-Business Plan Receives Applause in the Business Community

The Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate of the PDP; Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and Mr. Peter Obi, were at a meeting with the Business community Wednesday, in Eko Hotels and Suites. The meeting had the theme, Getting Nigeria’s Economy Working: A Pragmatic Approach. The business-savvy candidate from the time of launching his campaign has been bent on job creation. He stated earlier that he has created about 45,000 jobs as a private citizen. For many Nigerians, this is enough antecedent to hand over the reins of power to him, considering that every problem Nigeria faces now, can be traced to lack of jobs.

However, Opeyemi Agbaje; the moderator, wanted to know how involved he was in the creation of such plans. The reason is that governments have denied their policies and manifestos in the past. To this, Atiku replied, “This is not the first policy document I’m creating. I want to assure you I was personally involved and participated in crafting the ideas. I worked with the best experts as well.” With this answer, the attendees and indeed other members of the public understood that the aspirant has owned his plans for Nigeria’s economy.

Atiku continued on his experience with policies and documents, “in 2007, when I wanted to run, I worked with experts to produce the Niger Delta Master Plan. When I lost the elections, I handed it over to Yaradua. This document led to the reforms and creation of the Niger Delta Ministry.” On the success and growth of the economy when he was in government, Atiku stated that the secret was that the government always met with the business community and always knew their needs as a result. This led to a 7% economic growth, as opposed to the current 1.8% economic growth rate.

On the gap in infrastructure in the country, Mr. Obi stated, “Fixing Nigeria’s infrastructure must be private sector-led. That is what is obtainable elsewhere. Government does not have the capability to deliver the infrastructure we need now.” Mr. Obi also stated that the idea of allowing government handle infrastructure is behind the debt burden of the economy which in turn reduces money that could have been spent on education and health.

On jobs, which is definitely the biting issue in the country, considering that 2018 saw the nation losing cumulatively 20.9m jobs, Mr. Obi stated that China used MSMEs to drive employment. He stated that small and medium scale enterprises, contribute 60% of China’s economy and Nigeria should learn from them. He had earlier stated that he compares China to Nigeria because they were once as broke as Nigeria, with even more population.

Furthermore, popular actress, Onyeka Onwenu asked about Atiku’s plans for women. Upon that, Atiku stated that he plans on giving 30% of appointment to women and 40% to youths, since they collectively contribute 70% to the population of the country. This is not far from what he has done as a private citizen, given that out of his 45,000 employees, 70% are people 25 to 30 years of age, with half of this population being women. Also, he directed that 80% of loans in a micro-finance bank he runs, be directed to women. He stated that this has led to 92% repayment by the women.

Peter Obi was clear on treating education as an investment, instead of expenditure. He stated that companies who are knowledge-based, make more money than Nigeria. Additionally, Atiku stated that they passed the Universal Basic Education law when he was VP. This law made it compulsory that kids get basic education. As such, he plans on making education a priority, since it is what Nigeria needs. In all of this, the government of Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi plan to be watch dogs. Reducing the size and cost of governance is the first way to make progress in governance.

https://thepunditng.com/atikus-pro-business-plan-receives-applause-in-the-business-community/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 17, 2019
While One team is proactively engaging with Business Communities and telling the world what they will do to revamp the economy and improve living standard, the other team is busy strategizing on how rig election.

There is no way Buhari can win in a free and fair election, they know it, that is why they focus on propaganda. They should be humble enough to learn from PDP and Atiku.

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:23am On Jan 17, 2019
Thiefs regrouping to loot

Buhari 2019

Nigerians say No to criminals

PMB till 2023

Next level things

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by easynetsms(m): 9:23am On Jan 17, 2019
Ok
Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 17, 2019
All shades of Presidential

Not the other cow

Who can't talk without his vp

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by BusinessHub1: 9:24am On Jan 17, 2019
This looks smart to me

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by kennosklint(m): 9:24am On Jan 17, 2019
Nor be say the Atiku himself good just that Buhari is a disaster...

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Racoon(m): 9:26am On Jan 17, 2019
Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, a former customs officer, a consummate politician and successful businessman was for eight years, the Vice President of the federal republic of Nigeria (1999- 2007). Atiku has been a constant feature in all-presidential elections since 2007 but this is the first time l can recall him issuing such an elaborate and detailed policy statement on his dream of making Nigeria work.

The document, perhaps first of its kind by any presidential candidate, is a work of many months by the former VP and his team of advisers and consultants. It is quite an interesting document, well-written, easy to read and comprehensive in the sense that it covers or laid out policy objectives on all sectors including and remarkably enough, sports and culture, which are not often government priorities.

Its introduction is a strong compendium or a detailed analysis of the problems confronting the nation. As it is said in base ball, it is a home run, and l have no doubt that Nigerian desk officials at the IMF, World Bank and the ADB would be glad to read the document and perhaps be comforted that a presidential candidate in Nigeria has shown deep understanding and knowledge of the country’s myriad of problems and indeed supervised strategic sessions to lay out what he would do as president if elected, including identifying the imbalance in the relationship between the federal government and the federating units as well as highlighting, the absence of justice, fairness and equity as the bane of the Nigerian society.

This is followed by the policy objectives and of course, what we shall do. Interested readers are best advised to pay more or greater attention to this section as it states what to expect from the Atiku presidency, at least in term of deliverables.

This is where you find all Atiku’s promises and solutions to the economy including, privatization, job creation, infrastructural development (including power and roads) agriculture, manufacturing, poverty eradication, monetary and fiscal issues human capital development (education, health and ICT) and of course corruption.

Finally, it is clear the Atiku presidency will be friendlier to business and we are likely to return to the refrain of the OBJ era about the private sector being the engine of growth or to the Jonathan era of agriculture being business.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/11/28/atikus-dream-to-make-nigeria-work/?amp

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by FYB(m): 9:28am On Jan 17, 2019
Let's try these guys. They are more articulate and precise in their policy statements unlike APC that have resorted to name calling rather than convincing Nigerians on why we should vote for them.

35 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Ruddyman(m): 9:28am On Jan 17, 2019
Good one All shades of Presidential.....You have my VOTE ALREADY

---------------DO YOU NEED ANY OF THESE?

- Do You Need a website or blog for your ideas, project OR business big or small?
A Website that will be

- Simply, clean, responsive, secured with SSL , Search engine optimized, CTA's, Newsletter sign-ups and others

- Or You want to optimize your existing website/blog for search engine and rank for certain keywords?

- Or You want One on One training on how to build websites using ( HTML, CSS, JS ) + WordPress using real-life projects ( Weekends / Lagos )?

Then chat me up on 08095966698 let's talk requirement, cost and i will show you samples

5 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Tiffbuxas: 9:28am On Jan 17, 2019
Lol no more restructuring.... We'll I think the business community doesn't care about that tho
Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by DMerciful(m): 9:29am On Jan 17, 2019
Even zombies know that Atiku will fix the economy

23 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by CyberWolf: 9:29am On Jan 17, 2019
AtikuObi all the way..

21 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by adeniyi3971(m): 9:29am On Jan 17, 2019
Please throw your vote at this man already

23 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Dandavido: 9:34am On Jan 17, 2019
OEPHIUS:

The Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate of the PDP; Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and Mr. Peter Obi, were at a meeting with the Business community Wednesday, in Eko Hotels and Suites. The meeting had the theme, Getting Nigeria’s Economy Working: A Pragmatic Approach. The business-savvy candidate from the time of launching his campaign has been bent on job creation. He stated earlier that he has created about 45,000 jobs as a private citizen. For many Nigerians, this is enough antecedent to hand over the reins of power to him, considering that every problem Nigeria faces now, can be traced to lack of jobs.

However, Opeyemi Agbaje; the moderator, wanted to know how involved he was in the creation of such plans. The reason is that governments have denied their policies and manifestos in the past. To this, Atiku replied, “This is not the first policy document I’m creating. I want to assure you I was personally involved and participated in crafting the ideas. I worked with the best experts as well.” With this answer, the attendees and indeed other members of the public understood that the aspirant has owned his plans for Nigeria’s economy.

Atiku continued on his experience with policies and documents, “in 2007, when I wanted to run, I worked with experts to produce the Niger Delta Master Plan. When I lost the elections, I handed it over to Yaradua. This document led to the reforms and creation of the Niger Delta Ministry.” On the success and growth of the economy when he was in government, Atiku stated that the secret was that the government always met with the business community and always knew their needs as a result. This led to a 7% economic growth, as opposed to the current 1.8% economic growth rate.

On the gap in infrastructure in the country, Mr. Obi stated, “Fixing Nigeria’s infrastructure must be private sector-led. That is what is obtainable elsewhere. Government does not have the capability to deliver the infrastructure we need now.” Mr. Obi also stated that the idea of allowing government handle infrastructure is behind the debt burden of the economy which in turn reduces money that could have been spent on education and health.

On jobs, which is definitely the biting issue in the country, considering that 2018 saw the nation losing cumulatively 20.9m jobs, Mr. Obi stated that China used MSMEs to drive employment. He stated that small and medium scale enterprises, contribute 60% of China’s economy and Nigeria should learn from them. He had earlier stated that he compares China to Nigeria because they were once as broke as Nigeria, with even more population.

Furthermore, popular actress, Onyeka Onwenu asked about Atiku’s plans for women. Upon that, Atiku stated that he plans on giving 30% of appointment to women and 40% to youths, since they collectively contribute 70% to the population of the country. This is not far from what he has done as a private citizen, given that out of his 45,000 employees, 70% are people 25 to 30 years of age, with half of this population being women. Also, he directed that 80% of loans in a micro-finance bank he runs, be directed to women. He stated that this has led to 92% repayment by the women.

Peter Obi was clear on treating education as an investment, instead of expenditure. He stated that companies who are knowledge-based, make more money than Nigeria. Additionally, Atiku stated that they passed the Universal Basic Education law when he was VP. This law made it compulsory that kids get basic education. As such, he plans on making education a priority, since it is what Nigeria needs. In all of this, the government of Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi plan to be watch dogs. Reducing the size and cost of governance is the first way to make progress in governance.

https://thepunditng.com/atikus-pro-business-plan-receives-applause-in-the-business-community/

4 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by NaijaOlosho(f): 9:34am On Jan 17, 2019
Nice one my President

3 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by NaijaRoyalty(m): 9:36am On Jan 17, 2019
Atiku is so presidential

Look at his confidence and body carriage , that's enough to bring home huge investors to the country .

Same can't be said about the lifeless dullard currently occupying the seat of power .

16 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by me69: 9:37am On Jan 17, 2019
963AvatarSpirit:
While One team is proactively engaging with Business Communities and telling the world what they will do to revamp the economy and improve living standard, the other team is busy strategizing on how rig election.

There is no way Buhari can win in a free and fair election, they know it, that is why they focus on propaganda. They should be humble enough to learn from PDP and Atiku.
http://saharareporters.com/2007/02/20/vice-president-atikus-burden-corruption
Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by me69: 9:37am On Jan 17, 2019
Source:http://saharareporters.com/2007/02/20/vice-president-atikus-burden-corruption

In the course of his eight years stewardship, Mr. Abukakar has managed to corner controlling shares in Bank PHB, controlling shares in Intel, an oil services company with operates in Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon and Sao Tome and Principe; controlling shares in AP Petroleum, which he was forced to divest recently in a hail of controversy regarding the ethics of his management of the country’s privatization program. Added to all these assets must be included the control of huge assets in real estate in Yola where today he has 146 houses; the largest print press in Northern Nigeria; and the control of the Faro private water business.

The vulnerability of the vice president, who in his two-term tenure has recorded N60 Billion worth of bank transactions, has always made it easy to point at elite corruption to illustrate the subversion of Nigeria’s national efforts at constructing a fair, accountable and transparent polity this much was raised by the BBC interviewer earlier today. The vice-president was cited for diverting $125m from a public trust fund into his personal businesses. The $125m was diverted from the Petroleum Trust Development Fund (PTDF).
An excerpted part of a recent presentation by the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to the Nigerian Senate Ad Hoc Committee on the Probe of the PTDF renders the issues in a graphic brief: “[b]Atiku Abukakar is the Vice President of Nigeria and he was the one overseeing the activities of the PTDF. He inaugurated the Interim Management Committee of the Fund in September 2000.He played prominent roles in the approvals for release of PTDF funds and their placement in two banks. The VP had an outstanding interest in the placement of the PTDF funds in these two banks. For one, even the $125 million for the implantation of some specific projects was not utilized for that purpose, rather because of their diversion to their placements in the two banks (TIB & ETB). Prior to the placements of the PTDF funds, the Vice President held several meetings with either the ES (Executive Secretary of the PTDF) alone and sometime the ES and Mike Adenuga to discuss modalities regarding the placement of the funds either in TIB or ETB. The placements were done at the detriment of the Fund as they were made at interest rates below the average CBN Minimum Rediscount Rate (MRR) even when he was strongly advised against that.”

“The request for the release of the $20 million, was predicated on the issue of the ongoing projects being executed by the Fund, whereas it was not so. The funds were released again by the VP and were sent straight to the same placement in TIB. This second release according to reports was done without the knowledge and approval of the President and the FEC[/b], even though the President’s own pattern of management of the Petroleum Resources ministry pointed to the fact that both the VP and the President might have shared. As these funds were hitting the two preferred banks, “loans” were packaged by TIB, even without adequate collateral, for his long time friend and business associate, Otunba Oluwole Johnson Haliru Fasawe through NDTV and Mofas. In Mofas, one of the directors is Alhaji Adamu Abubakar, a son of the VP. Through the VP’s name was not stated as a director of Marine Float, evidence abounds that the account is controlled by him. First, the VP admitted he paid N30million for the property from that account; secondly, most of the beneficiaries from the account are his friends, associates.

“Similarly, as the funds were hitting ETB, Otunba Mike Adenuga made $20million deposit for Globacom license, the second national carrier. A little scrutiny of the equity ownership structure of the company revealed that Otunba Mike Adenuga lied about the ownership of the company. When the transfer of the $50million by PTDF from its account in UBA Plc New York was made in ETB, Mike Adenuga gave the Vice President the sum of N322million (i.e. N300m on 27/11/02 & N22 on 06/03/03) through his Marine Float account domiciled in Bank PHB Plc through his aides- Akinyera and Ajibade. N21 million was paid to the VP through a draft raised in the name of Umar Pariya, his Personal Assistant.
The Vice President held several meeting with the US Congressman Williams J. Jefferson both in Nigeria and abroad in relation to business ventures, which included NDTV and Rosecom.net, an ISP. When the business relationship between NDTV and iGate collapsed, his assistance was sought to extinguish the outstanding approximately $2million already paid by NDTV. Even though he denied assistance on extinguishing the amount, he accepted, conveying a letter from US Congressman Jefferson to the Honorable Minister of Communication Chief Cornelius Adebayo in relation with iGate and Rosecom.net business venture.

“The VP’s business interest in NDTV was confirmed when he made an initial deposit of N30million in January 1, 2003 from his Marine Float account in Bank PHB Plc for the purchase of the N200million property being used as NDTV Head Office. His interest also influenced the placement of PTDF funds in TIB from where Otunba Fasawe obtained “loan” and completed the payment of N170million for the property at the Wuse. The VP’s interest in NDTV is further buttressed by the fact that he even acted as a referee to Otumba Fasawe for the sourcing of the licensing of NDTV in Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC). Investigation also revealed that the Vice President severally met contractors of NDTV at Jada, his hometown on his interest in the company.”

The burden of proof on Mr. Abubakar today therefore will rest on how he hopes to construct a coherent argument that his two decades of public service in the customs department is enough to make him the multi-millionaire and one of the nation’s richest business men; and how he wants to lead a nation struggling to crawl out of the quagmire created by a reputation of grand corruption when he could supervise such brazen deal making at PTDF and seek to legitimize it as normal and appropriate state policy. As for us at Saharareporters, we are still awaiting the promise made to us by the VP to publicly declare his assets and ship over to us the Ghana-Must-Ghana bag containing all the oil contracts awarded by President Obasanjo in the last 7-years!

1 Like

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Mitchewww(m): 9:39am On Jan 17, 2019
Buhari can never try this... NEVER

9 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by MyGeneration(m): 9:40am On Jan 17, 2019
Look at how Atiku answered all the questions intelligently unlike someone we know

12 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 17, 2019

4 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by NASTYNASOSO: 9:42am On Jan 17, 2019
OEPHIUS:

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

THEY ALWAYS MENTION AND MAKE EXAMPLE OF CHINA BUT THEY FAIL TO TELL US WHAT HAPPENS TO CORRUPT PEOPLE IN CHINA AND WHY CHINA GOT ITS ACT RIGHT WITH JUST I CANE.

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by HomeOfMe(f): 9:44am On Jan 17, 2019
abdulazeez1002:

Buhari 2019

PMB till 2023

Next level things
This is STALE! When you see a man call a woman "asha.wo" or "ashe.wo",knowing fully well he got nothing on the woman,he begins to look for an easy way out,calling her names just to feel good about himself. This is exactly what the apc is doing. Spell out your plans for the people,and stop your shouting,"thieves!thieves!!"all the time when pdp candidate come up. It shows intimidation. You people are the ones making pdp look or feel that their better,because whenevet they start talking about their plans,the next thing is you people start shouting,"thief,thief!" Nigerians are no fools.

12 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by NASTYNASOSO: 9:45am On Jan 17, 2019
HMMMMMMMMMMM

IF YOU EVER MENTION CHINA AS AN EXAMPLE YOU SHOULD TELL US CHINAS VIEW AND CONSEQUENCE OF CORRUPTION.

CHINA EXECUTES THAT IS WHY THEY GOT THEIR ACT RIGHT.
Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Felixv: 9:45am On Jan 17, 2019
963AvatarSpirit:

While atiku was VP how many jobs did he create, how many railways did he build and how much money did he save the country

Obi says infrastructure has to be private sector driven - is that what China did or is that what the US did that lead to the great industrial revolution.

The US built roads, railway lines in every nook and corner of their country.

Every business needs infrastructure- power, roads etc. without that there is no way we can attract the great industries that would employ millions.

And one more point. Atiku spent 8yrs as VP stealing money and sending same to his 4th wife.

The same atiku who refused to pay his taxes.

The same atiku who ran intels which monopolized the collection the duties at our ports before buhari stopped that rubbish.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by omoosaomo: 9:46am On Jan 17, 2019
PMB is a thief he confirmed it at last night on NTA
abdulazeez1002:

Buhari 2019

PMB till 2023

Next level things

5 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by lexy2014: 9:50am On Jan 17, 2019
abdulazeez1002:

Buhari 2019

PMB till 2023

Next level things

vanguardngr.com/2018/12/things-will-be-harder-than-before-buhari-warns-govs-leaders/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Chidex50(m): 9:59am On Jan 17, 2019
abdulazeez1002:

Buhari 2019

PMB till 2023

Next level things
Please don't commit suicide on NL.You keep defending your pathetic master.

3 Likes

Re: Atiku’s Pro-business Plan Receives Applause In The Business Community by Mozzyx2011(m): 10:05am On Jan 17, 2019
abdulazeez1002:

Buhari 2019

PMB till 2023

Next level things

It's a pity.. You are misinformed.. I bet you didn't watch your principal on #NTA.. NGTheCandidates yesterday 7-9pm...No you didn't...better find out #BetterNigeria #BetterWithAtiku #VotePDP #VoteAtiku #VoteYourFuture

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: All Foreign Observers, US, 20 Countries Reject INEC Results / Who Are The Most Powerful People In Nigeria? / Soludo Takes Lawmakers To School On Capital Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.