Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? (18806 Views)

Pay Rise: FG Excludes State Universities, ASUU Kicks / List Of State Universities In Nigeria / David Ibiyeomie Letter To Nigerian Universities On Sexual Harassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 17, 2019
You may have also noticed that ASUU’s demands over the past 10 years has always been about earned allowances, release of fund for the revitalization of ‘public universities’, release of operational license to Nigerian University Employees Pension Company and a few more. It then beats my imagination why lecturers of state varsities would leave the rot in their own institutions to fight for the liberation of the federal universities.

A baffling example is the crisis-ridden Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH, which is now a shadow of its own self. One would thing such university, sitting comfortably at the middle of a huge financial crisis and which has wasted the youthful days of its students would sue for peace when all is done and dust. Instead, ASUU-LAUTECH, returning from a long, boring and not-too-yielding industrial action moved quickly in solidarism to join its national body in another unending wrangle that still has no end in sight. I doubt if even ASUU national body would have blamed ASUU-LAUTECH for opting out of the strike if it did. Thank Goodness angels ministered to these patriotic men and women, after about three years, they returned back to their line of duty last week, but would now be on strike only on Thursdays and Fridays.

I’ve wondered ceaselessly, why students of the better by far UNILORIN and Great Ife who have remained in school taking lectures and exams, rounding up a semester or session may later enjoy better infrastructures if ASUU struggle eventually pays off while 100L students of EKSU, OSU, ABSU and others would return back to their classrooms sitting on the ground to take lectures in the old, dilapidated structures on ground. Isn’t it unfair to these students that their state universities benefit next to nothing?

Many of these state owned university lecturers would return to the crisis ravaging their own schools after the strike and continue to manage it. On the other hand, federal schools continue to fix more air-conditioned systems, Wi-Fi, better libraries and cooler, siren environment while their students pay far less for just so much. Sad but true is many state owned schools don’t rely on government funds any longer including UNIOSUN, TASUED, OOU, etc. Could this then be blind solidarity?

It is indeed unfair for students of state owned universities to pay tuition as high as #150,000, almost the same amount their colleagues pay at Oduduwa and Redeemer’s university, only to be used as bargaining tools to fight for students of UNIBEN whose tuition is absolutely free and can only get better facilities. Therefore, why keep state university students at home?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2359017690986774&id=1604028209819063

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by lanibi(f): 5:38pm On Jan 17, 2019

24 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Brukx(m): 5:55pm On Jan 17, 2019
writerights:
You may have also noticed that ASUU’s demands over the past 10 years has always been about earned allowances, release of fund for the revitalization of ‘public universities’, release of operational license to Nigerian University Employees Pension Company and a few more. It then beats my imagination why lecturers of state varsities would leave the rot in their own institutions to fight for the liberation of the federal universities.

A baffling example is the crisis-ridden Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH, which is now a shadow of its own self. One would thing such university, sitting comfortably at the middle of a huge financial crisis and which has wasted the youthful days of its students would sue for peace when all is done and dust. Instead, ASUU-LAUTECH, returning from a long, boring and not-too-yielding industrial action moved quickly in solidarism to join its national body in another unending wrangle that still has no end in sight. I doubt if even ASUU national body would have blamed ASUU-LAUTECH for opting out of the strike if it did. Thank Goodness angels ministered to these patriotic men and women, after about three years, they returned back to their line of duty last week, but would now be on strike only on Thursdays and Fridays.

I’ve wondered ceaselessly, why students of the better by far UNILORIN and Great Ife who have remained in school taking lectures and exams, rounding up a semester or session may later enjoy better infrastructures if ASUU struggle eventually pays off while 100L students of EKSU, OSU, ABSU and others would return back to their classrooms sitting on the ground to take lectures in the old, dilapidated structures on ground. Isn’t it unfair to these students that their state universities benefit next to nothing?

Many of these state owned university lecturers would return to the crisis ravaging their own schools after the strike and continue to manage it. On the other hand, federal schools continue to fix more air-conditioned systems, Wi-Fi, better libraries and cooler, siren environment while their students pay far less for just so much. Sad but true is many state owned schools don’t rely on government funds any longer including UNIOSUN, TASUED, OOU, etc. Could this then be blind solidarity?

It is indeed unfair for students of state owned universities to pay tuition as high as #150,000, almost the same amount their colleagues pay at Oduduwa and Redeemer’s university, only to be used as bargaining tools to fight for students of UNIBEN whose tuition is absolutely free and can only get better facilities. Therefore, why keep state university students at home?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2359017690986774&id=1604028209819063

CC: lalasticlala
State universities are a legitimate part of ASUU. Im surprised that many scholars don't know this
That's a screenshot from Wikipedia

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Sportwin(m): 6:28pm On Jan 17, 2019
Brukx:

State universities are a legitimate part of ASUU. Im surprised that many scholars don't know this

what do state uni stand to gain from paricipating in strikes

dominique

justwise

Richiez, Fynestboi, olawalebabs

move to frontpage

lets have a answers to this

modified
graced fp

some pple commenting if fg doesnt fund state schools school fess is going to be as high as 200k

ok

pls ask osustech why their school fees is 200k already when fg/state is still funding them abi have they stopped already

make una hlp me drop more state unis that pay more than 200k

14 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Fidelismaria: 6:36pm On Jan 17, 2019
No comment
Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by amidel(m): 6:56pm On Jan 17, 2019
I really don't know why the state universities chose to join in the strike.

Some state unis are not partaking e.g Delsu,Rsust

7 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 17, 2019
lanibi:
You're right Op. I've been thinking about this lately. Imagine EKSU is yet to conclude the 2017/18 session which started since Nov 6 2017. Despite the expensive tuition fee and other attached fees paid by the students, the management never felt the need to avoid or pull out of the strike and to think they still went on a 2months strike in 2018. Greediness and lack of proper management won't make them feel pity for the students.
This is very pathetic.

ASUU-EKSU is quite nutorious as regards industrial action. With a lot of internal crisis, they can decide to close shop any moment and choose to open when it pleases them. If the standard of living were high, I would have preferred a privatization. Many civil servants just take the job for granted.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 17, 2019
Brukx:

The question before us does not query the legitimacy of state universities, it's rather seeking to know how much state owned universities gain from these numerous, thunderous strikes and if it's worth it.

And again, how does ASUU national fight in the interest of these state schools when they are drowning in a pool of crisis? How has the national body helped LAUTECH, EKSU, OOU DELSU and others.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 17, 2019
amidel:
I really don't know why the state universities chose to join in the strike.

Some state unis are not partaking e.g Delsu,Rsust

Blind solidarity, that's what it is. Even if at all there is anything to gain, it would be negligible and not worth it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 17, 2019
dz13:
Get some video making and influencer career education!

If you love fun stuff, if you got talent, if you wanna become popular..Check this out! tongue

https://m.tiktok.com/v/6631160745771928837.html?u_code=cm2fm2g8ddh62i&preview_pb=4&language=en&timestamp=1547746290&utm_campaign=client_share&app=musically&utm_medium=ios&user_id=6533124935655625728&tt_from=copy&utm_source=copy&copytype=0

Please add whatsapp: +86 18811042246 if you wanna create videos like this and gain fans on a global platform!! You'll get a creator manager to help you grow! smiley

dz13 is a student of a state owned university. He pays 180,000 as tuition every session. He pays this high because state government cannot afford to fund his school and lecturers have to be paid. This is what he does while his lecturers fight for students of federal schools and wages of their lecturers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by linzeze(m): 8:38pm On Jan 17, 2019
One of the demands of ASUU is to increase funds in State Universities.
So that Profs in Fed and State would earn the same.
If a state University decides not to join ASUU,it is to their own detriment.
The main reason for creating State Univerisites was to enable indegines Attend Universities.
The Funding of these Univerisites rest on the State Government.But, of recent,States Could not Fund Univerisites anymore.FG had to take over.

So States Universities had to join those in Federal and Strike.

Those that opted out and those that are not part of ASUU,I Heard they usually pay a particular Amount of Money(Like Fine) inorder to continue Lectures.i stand to be corrected though.

6 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:43pm On Jan 17, 2019
What else do you expect??. We live in a country Where those at the helm of affairs are rogues and criminals who care less or even Nothing about the education system. In a nation where the educated ones are relegated to the back, while stark illiterates with evil hearts are in charge of government. It's just sardonic that one comes from a nation where mediocrity and mundanity is being celebrated above intelligence. Education issa scam in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 17, 2019
linzeze:
One of the demands of ASUU is to increase funds in State Universities.
So that Profs in Fed and State would earn the same.
If a state University decides not to join ASUU,it is to their own detriment.
The main reason for creating State Univerisites was to enable indegines Attend Universities.
The Funding of these Univerisites rest on the State Government.But, of recent,States Could not Fund Univerisites anymore.FG had to take over.

So States Universities had to join those in Federal and Strike.

Those that opted out and those that are not part of ASUU,I Heard they usually pay a particular Amount of Money(Like Fine) inorder to continue Lectures.i stand to be corrected though.

Lol... Don't be misinformation. Federal government has not taken over funding of state owned school. State owned school cater for themselves. ASUU is not ASUP. it's either you're part of ASUU or not.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by holuwamosey(m): 10:24pm On Jan 17, 2019
Student need to protest because na we dey suffer dis strike pass
lecturers av other source of income but we student are been delayed for nothing moreover most of dis lecturers still take bribe

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by linzeze(m): 11:06pm On Jan 17, 2019
writerights:

Lol... Don't be misinformation. Federal government has not taken over funding of state owned school. State owned school cater for themselves. ASUU is not ASUP. it's either you're part of ASUU or not.
Did i Mention ASUP in my post??

FG is servicing 60% of State Univerisites budget.
If states Universities are really that independent of FG sponsorship,there is no need being in ASUU.but that is not the case.

If FG stop funding state Universities,School fees would be as high as 200k and above.That is,if the state really want to produce quality graduates.

So you think States are funding their Universities Independently grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Habeyy(m): 11:42pm On Jan 17, 2019
Quite thoughtful
I'm also perplexed

But as someone rightly said,federal government is also involved thou indirectly in the running of state schools
Rather than taking a one way approach ,it will be sufficient to ask "what did the state owned university stand to lose if they chose to go solo"

Pls do remember that state schools also benefit from education interventions
Tetfund comes to mind
QED

2 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Brukx(m): 6:20am On Jan 18, 2019
writerights:

The question before us does not query the legitimacy of state universities, it's rather seeking to know how much state owned universities gain from these numerous, thunderous strikes and if it's worth it.

And again, how does ASUU national fight in the interest of these state schools when they are drowning in a pool of crisis? How has the national body helped LAUTECH, EKSU, OOU DELSU and others.

ASUU is a body that umbrellas state and federal schools. why do you feel the outcome of the strike won't be of benefit to the state schools?
Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 18, 2019
Brukx:

ASUU is a body that umbrellas state and federal schools. why do you feel the outcome of the strike won't be of benefit to the state schools?

I asked what benefit the state schools are getting. Is that too be a question to ask?

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 18, 2019
linzeze:

Did i Mention ASUP in my post??

FG is servicing 60% of State Univerisites budget.
If states Universities are really that independent of FG sponsorship,there is no need being in ASUU.but that is not the case.

If FG stop funding state Universities,School fees would be as high as 200k and above.That is,if the state really want to produce quality graduates.

So you think States are funding their Universities Independently grin grin

I mentioned ASUP because its only that union members pay to opt out of strike. ASUU will not take money to betray its struggle. How dear you say FG funds 60% of state owned schools? Does that even appeal to your reasoning? And our state and federal schools are miles apart on standard? Where did you get that exaggerated percentage from?

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Brukx(m): 8:16am On Jan 18, 2019
writerights:

I asked what benefit the state schools are getting. Is that too be a question to ask?
The billions FG is to grant ASUU will ideally be shared among all its members that partake in the industrial strike. Ideally.

4 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 18, 2019
Brukx:

The billions FG is to grant ASUU will ideally be shared among all its members that partake in the industrial strike. Ideally.

FG doesn't release it to ASUU, it releases it to federal universities directly.
Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 18, 2019
So state universities aren't public universities abi?

Academic Staff Union of Universities not secondary schools. Unless you are saying state universities aren't really universities.

Lastly, if u go to any state university and see any building branded ETF or TETFUND, those are gains of ASUU struggle. Not forgetting the better salaries and training of lecturers

7 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by linzeze(m): 8:40am On Jan 18, 2019
writerights:

I mentioned ASUP because its only that union members pay to opt out of strike. ASUU will not take money betray its struggle. How dear you say FG funds 60% of state owned schools? Does that even appeal to your reasoning? And our state and federal schools are miles apart on standard? Where did you get that exaggerated percentage from?
Well that was why i said i wasn't sure.

If you don't know whats happening in States Universities better go and find out.How dare me?, Seriously? grin grin
What do you mean by Standard
Number of personnel?
Infrastructure?
Or what?

Since you don't know FG usually bails out State Universities Lets leave it Here. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by helinues: 8:41am On Jan 18, 2019
Ok
Re: Why Exactly Are State Universities On ASUU Strike? by JohnFrankling(m): 8:41am On Jan 18, 2019
Rivers state University isn't part of this.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASU Students Defeat U.I, Futa And Others At Inter-university Debate In Funaab / University Of Cape-Town Promotes 3 Nigerians To Rank Of Professor / JAMB: Candidates Queue For Security Check Under Hot Weather (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.