Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,405 members, 7,819,434 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals (9719 Views)

₦1,136 To ₦1,148: Naira Records First Depreciation Against Dollar In Months / Nigeria Leads In African Start-up Funding With $94.9m / Nigeria Leads Others In Increasing Number Of Millionaire Populations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by vioment: 7:23pm On Jan 18, 2019
Just like maintenance, it is about how long they can be in business. That's where business policy, environment, and organization will be telling on the part of nigeria. So far not good.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by RTSC: 7:23pm On Jan 18, 2019
SMH.
The buhari fanatics have messed up the thread.
Still smarting from the atiku hammer, are busy looking for respite.

Claiming achievements that belong to hard working, unrelenting Nigerians, and maturing fruits of brilliant initiatives like you win and sure-p.

If I ask how buhari contributed to these start ups, they can't say.

The biggest entrpreneural initiative of the buhari administration is 10,000 naira trader moni.

Which of these start ups is dependent on N10,000?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by kufre2010: 7:26pm On Jan 18, 2019
In 2015 their hope was hang on a better 2morrow, 2019 their hope is still hanging on a better 2morrow while PMB family and relations are buying banks, telecom industry.

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by edoman2016: 7:27pm On Jan 18, 2019
Why is it that tech startups easily get equity investors in huge dollars compared to agriculture and manufacturing? The funniest thing is most of these tech startups are not yet profitable example jumia, konga, OLX, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by temmypotter(m): 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2019
Tetehjewels:
This confirms that Buhari and PYO are all about the start ups and SMEs which is evident by their programs focused on the abandoned middle and lower class of businesses.

I like this

Bro, you are spewing ignorance so bad, its hurting my soul

This is obviously unchartered territory for you both intellectually and experientially so, pls take your Buhari fanaticism elsewhere, Buhari and your Pyo have absolutely nothing to do with the tech ecosystem in Nigeria

Those starts ups are just young innovative folks going extra lengths to do right by themselves. Not one policy of the present govt has anything to do with them being funded

This is not tradermoni or whatever fraudulent scheme and shenanigan your Lords are deceiving you gullible vacuous heads with

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Moorish: 7:34pm On Jan 18, 2019
manny4life:
Please can you list the startups ? The last i checked, investors were fleeing Nigeria. So please, it would help to know these companies, at least, for independent research.
Independent research you say

Then independently research what u need

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 18, 2019
temmypotter:

Bro, you are spewing ignorance so bad, its hurting my soul

This is obviously unchartered territory for you both intellectually and experientially so, pls take your Buhari fanaticism elsewhere, Buhari and your Pyo have absolutely nothing to do with the tech ecosystem in Nigeria

Those starts ups are just young innovative folks going extra lengths to do right by themselves. Not one policy of the present govt has anything to do with them being funded

This is not tradermoni or whatever fraudulent scheme and shenanigan your Lords are deceiving you gullible vacuous heads with

Your head must be paining you. Do you think Buhari is all about tradermoni?

I guess you are so ignorant of the SME loans deliberately set up through the BOI.

Go back and get some much needed updating of your mental software.

Read number 5 on this link

https://www.boi.ng/apply/register

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by HtwoOw: 7:37pm On Jan 18, 2019
if your lords didnt siphon money , we wouldnt be borrowing now

mekaboy:
Looking for achievements for buhari by all means. Meanwhile ASUU is on strike.

We borrow from America, china, Brazil India. Depending on outsiders to fund start-ups. And you are advertising incompetence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by docadams: 7:37pm On Jan 18, 2019
Tetehjewels:

Mention the fleeing investors

TKO

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Jacseyi(m): 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2019
manny4life:
Please can you list the startups ? The last i checked, investors were fleeing Nigeria. So please, it would help to know these companies, at least, for independent research.

You can read details here https://digestafrica.com/products/#.XEIc-FwzbIU

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Jacseyi(m): 7:45pm On Jan 18, 2019
Ekealterego:
fraud!!!!

So you copy a secondary school level research from a no name website and put it on a forum and scream like zombies because of 70 euros per month...... Wow! i hear that Nigeria is really bad but i didnt know that we have gone down to this level.

The full report is here...
https://digestafrica.com/products/#.XEIc-FwzbIU

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by NwaliE01: 7:45pm On Jan 18, 2019
APC Supporter waiting for PMB to take him to the next level.

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by VULCAN(m): 7:45pm On Jan 18, 2019
Crafty report. They told us we had the most deals but did not tell us how much those deals were worth in comparison with other countries.

Its likely that in financial terms SA, Kenya and Rwanda beat us silly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by chinene1(f): 7:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
All these people shouting sia baba up and down, did you bother reading the article? Do you understand what they are saying? This has nothing to do with buhari, atiku or any political party.
I don't understand it. So if my idea to create a start up that is innovative and a sure money spinner gets attention and funding, it's due to a government full of recycled old bags with no shame?
So because investors were impressed enough with ideas from our fellow country men and women, all credit goes to the government and not the people behind the idea? We are indeed asleep!
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by RTSC: 7:50pm On Jan 18, 2019
edoman2016:
Why is it that tech startups easily get equity investors in huge dollars compared to agriculture and manufacturing? The funniest thing is most of these tech startups are not yet profitable example jumia, konga, OLX, etc.
They don't trust Africans with long term energy intensive projects like agriculture or manufacturing, unlike in places like China and India.
The potential for lose is great. Power and infrastructure is a still a problem.

Online technologies are less risky with quick returns.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by GavelSlam: 7:51pm On Jan 18, 2019
RTSC:
SMH.

Claiming achievements that belong to hard working, unrelenting Nigerians, and maturing fruits of brilliant initiatives like you win and sure-p.

The biggest entrpreneural initiative of the buhari administration is 10,000 naira trader moni.

It seems you are not happy about the news.

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by RTSC: 7:53pm On Jan 18, 2019
VULCAN:
Crafty report. They told us we had the most deals but did not tell us how much those deals were worth in comparison with other countries.

Its likely that in financial terms SA, Kenya and Rwanda beat us silly.

South Africa, maybe.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by RTSC: 7:54pm On Jan 18, 2019
GavelSlam:

It seems you are not happy about the news.

I was disgusted with the sai buhari mess on the first page.

This is the work of hard working Nigerians. They deserve all the credits.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by GavelSlam: 7:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
RTSC:

I was disgusted with the sai buhari mess on the first page.

This is the work of hard working Nigerians. They deserve all the credits.

But when hardworking Herdsmen and Boko Haram create chaos, it is the president that should take the flak, not so?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 18, 2019
RTSC:
SMH.

Read number 5 for BOI and SME loans and number 7 for start ups.

This is what and how Buhari helped encourage SMEs and start ups through the BOI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Xlad(m): 8:17pm On Jan 18, 2019
Still a big disgrace. not only to nigeria but Africa in general. Estonia with population of not morethan 3million are building successful start up companies like transferwise, taxify, monese, eAgronom, MeetFrank, Jobbatical, WePower, LeapIN, Paxful, Adcash, Bondora, etc with the third highest number of startups per capita in Europe, we are still celebrating unsuccessful start-ups or is it their e-residency and digital nomads visa? Estonia, the world’s most digitally advanced society” in the world God, what is wrong with african leaders? even duo they are stealing our money, why can't they be like their european counterparts? steal and reinvest it back into africa like into all these new start-up companies in africa that are seeking for investors.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Ekealterego: 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jacseyi:

The full report is here...
https://digestafrica.com/products/#.XEIc-FwzbIU
Digest Africa is an online media start up based in uganda with "researchers" with no academic credence, neither are their site peer reviewd or garnered enough reputation to use their data as a basis to celebrate.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by RTSC: 8:41pm On Jan 18, 2019
Tetehjewels:

Read number 5 for BOI and SME loans and number 7 for start ups.

This is what and how Buhari helped encourage SMEs and start ups through the BOI
The bank of industry is not as active as it was four years ago.

It has lost it's panache. Trader moni is the only thing buhari is selling.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by RTSC: 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2019
GavelSlam:

But when hardworking Herdsmen and Boko Haram create chaos, it is the president that should take the flak, not so?
It did not start with buhari.

Jonathan lost his presidency because of Boko Haram, remember?

Infact, the governor of borno state blamed all state maladies on Jonathan.

So buhari should suck it up or leave.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by GavelSlam: 8:48pm On Jan 18, 2019
RTSC:

It did not start with buhari.

Jonathan lost his presidency because of Boko Haram, remember?

Infact, the governor of borno state blamed all state maladies on Jonathan.

So buhari should suck it up or leave.

But shouldn't beam when news of startups are ascribed to him?

Sounds two-faced if you asked me.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by GavelSlam: 8:50pm On Jan 18, 2019
Xlad:
Still a big disgrace. not only to nigeria but Africa in general. Estonia with population of not morethan 3million are building successful start up companies like transferwise, taxify, monese, eAgronom, MeetFrank, Jobbatical, WePower, LeapIN, Paxful, Adcash, Bondora, etc with the third highest number of startups per capita in Europe, we are still celebrating unsuccessful start-ups or is it their e-residency and digital nomads visa? Estonia, the world’s most digitally advanced society” in the world God, what is wrong with african leaders? even duo they are stealing our money, why can't they be like their european counterparts? steal and reinvest it back into africa like into all these new start-up companies in africa that are seeking for investors.

You are aware they have a functional rail and logistics system, electricity round the clock and well educated populace.

I'm sure Buhari should make all that possible in 4 years.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by GavelSlam: 8:51pm On Jan 18, 2019
RTSC:

Tell us how you were unable to secure support from the BOI.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Raypawer(m): 9:00pm On Jan 18, 2019
I wonder if you read the writeup

Did Buhari also fund south african, kenyan startups?

Must everything become politcized? These are foreign investors investment portfolio in Africa
Tetehjewels:
This confirms that Buhari and PYO are all about the start ups and SMEs which is evident by their programs focused on the abandoned middle and lower class of businesses.

I like this
Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Jacseyi(m): 9:06pm On Jan 18, 2019
Ekealterego:

Digest Africa is an online media start up based in uganda with "researchers" with no academic credence, neither are their site peer reviewd or garnered enough reputation to use their data as a basis to celebrate.
What do you mean by "no academic credence"? Having Bsc and Msc from Engineering is not enough? You are making ignorant claim

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 18, 2019
RTSC:

Yet the same BOI is the same one behind Tradermoni, farmermoni, social security for the poorest among us, etc.

Admit it, you have nothing inside that big head of yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Premiumwriter: 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2019
IjebuWarrior:
You won't see much traffic on informative and intellectual threads like this. undecided

Of course, it says much about the typical Nigerian mindset... sad

How do we progress as a people?
why not contribute something meaningful to the thread instead of this

Smh

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals by Dollabiz: 9:12pm On Jan 18, 2019
lies same youths.commenting.here are out there jobless with nothing.to.backup.the statistics

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fg, Cbn To Blame For Economic Woes — Waifem Dg / I Need Advice On Daily Or Weekly Income Business I Can Do With N1.5m / Oil Rebounds Above $50 As US Stockpile Drops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.