Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria (56949 Views)

COOU Is Ahead Of Other State Owned Universities In Nigeria, Vice Chancellor / Two New Lagos State-Owned Universities Receive NUC Recognition / The Archaic Tradition State Owned Universities Have Refused to Leave Behind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 2:21am On Jan 20, 2019
theoldpretender:

You may, but let's be frank, even if Oyedepo sold all he had and dumped it on the university, (and to be honest, I expect him to do so!)...it would only adequately fund the university....for a few years.

It's like what I hear when Nigerians say we should...rightly...cut the salaries of all the rich politicans in the National Assembly and use it to fund unviersity. We spend N1 trillion on the National Assembly. That's a lot. But according to the ASUU-FG agreement of 2009...ALL our federal universities needed N1.5 trillion in one year for adequate funding...in extra funding.

One more thing...I wonder why people complain about Oyedepo. Afe Babalola and others have non-church affiliated universites that charge even higher. And all of them have one thing in common...zero access to govt fund.

At least....YOU went to covenant. You had access to good hostel and class room facilites as a result of high fees. I went to a public university . For N2000 (later N18000 per annum)...I got poor hostels (six per room in my first year), poor cafeteria facilities, poor labs, and poor libraries. And zero computers.
hmmm....most public uni are financial drainage channel. Govt gives them more than enough but they loot it.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 2:26am On Jan 20, 2019
Uselessman:
1 trillion naira is chicken chance to Oyedepo. Our school fees is not been used for any thing. Everything built, bought even paying of salary is done by the church. So Oyedepo can make covenant university absolutely free for the next 100years
He is already using his "1 triillion naira" to subsidize the school. Ask yourself when covenant was charging around N170-N250k and UI was getting as high as N400k per student, what was keeping covenant in motion then? Covenant even had better facilities. people dont know that uni education is expensive.

1 Like

Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 2:28am On Jan 20, 2019
lexy2014:

How have d private universities u are showcasing been able to show their relevance by solving d problems facing humanity?
They are doing better than the older public ones.

1 Like

Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 5:06am On Jan 20, 2019
CodeTemplar:
They are doing better than the older public ones.

Yes, they are. D question is how? How have they been able to show their relevance by solving d problems facing humanity?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by onyebaba(m): 8:56pm On Jan 20, 2019
What about Caleb University?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 12:20am On Jan 22, 2019
lexy2014:

Yes, they are. D question is how? How have they been able to show their relevance by solving d problems facing humanity?
They are doing it already. for example the problem of university funding in Africa is evident and the private schools are taking the lead by pushing for higher internally generated revenues IGR.
No school has solved all of mans problem but they are doing their part.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 5:45am On Jan 22, 2019
CodeTemplar:
They are doing it already. for example the problem of university funding in Africa is evident and the private schools are taking the lead by pushing for higher internally generated revenues IGR.

Is university funding a problem of humanity? If private schools are pushing 4 higher IGR, how does that solve d problems facing humanity?

U are right, no school can solve all of mans problems, but which ones have d private schools in Nigeria solved?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 8:15am On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Is university funding a problem of humanity? If private schools are pushing 4 higher IGR, how does that solve d problems facing humanity?

U are right, no school can solve all of mans problems, but which ones have d private schools in Nigeria solved?
Go and ask ASUU or the South African Universities how funding of research and university activities isn't a burden on Govt and humanity by extension.
Will the academicians just produce results with their brains and no research labs? You guys are at it again. When they started graduating people with better results in higher proportion you guys out of jealousy and insecurity termed them as "dashing out first class". Today, the public system is forced to do same by reducing the practice of denying students who merit good grades their grades.
I hope when they copy the IGR thing also you won't change stances on issues just because yours is involved in it.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 9:53am On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:

Go and ask ASUU or the South African Universities how funding of research and university activities isn't a burden on Govt and humanity by extension.
Will the academicians just produce results with their brains and no research labs? You guys are at it again. When they started graduating people with better results in higher proportion you guys out of jealousy and insecurity termed them as "dashing out first class". Today, the public system is forced to do same by reducing the practice of denying students who merit good grades their grades.
I hope when they copy the IGR thing also you won't change stances on issues just because yours is involved in it.

Am not discussing with ASUU or south African universities. Am discussing with u. If u have interacted with ASUU & South African universities on d subject, am sure u can share.

Who are d "you guys" u referring to in ur write up?

When someone asks u this

lexy2014:

And u respond with this

CodeTemplar:

Then u only saying its about IGR as if they are Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS). Universities don't boast about their IGR abilities cos that isn't their purpose. But ur post here was about IGR not d purpose 4 which it was set up. Saying this doesn't show its relevance.

D core of my question was on d relevance by solving d problems facing humanity. I asked this cos d author made mention of it. What are d problems of humanity? Poverty, shelter, climate change, transportation, communication, health, clothing, malnutrition, religious conflict, security, corruption in government e.t.c. what I was expecting was that u were going to talk about advances private schools have made in solving these problems. Which solutions have they developed so far that let's say have helped farmers produce better yield or that has improved d health of a sick patient?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 10:13am On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Am not discussing with ASUU or south African universities. Am discussing with u. If u have interacted with ASUU & South African universities on d subject, am sure u can share.

Who are d "you guys" u referring to in ur write up?

When someone asks u this

And u respond with this

Then u only saying its about IGR as if they are Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS). Universities don't boast about their IGR abilities cos that isn't their purpose. But ur post here was about IGR not d purpose 4 which it was set up. Saying this doesn't show its relevance.

D core of my question was on d relevance by solving d problems facing humanity. I asked this cos d author made mention of it. What are d problems of humanity? Poverty, shelter, climate change, transportation, communication, health, clothing, malnutrition, religious conflict, security, corruption in government e.t.c. what I was expecting was that u were going to talk about advances private schools have made in solving these problems. Which solutions have they developed so far that let's say have helped farmers produce better yield or that has improved d health of a sick patient?
You spoke as if poverty isn't part of the problems of schools then included it in your list of problems facing humanity. wow! I salute you.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 10:17am On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:
You spoke as if poverty isn't part of the problems of schools then included it in your list of problems facing humanity. wow! I salute you.

Tnx 4d salute. If poverty is part of d problem of schools, how have private universities solved d problem? What of d other items I listed, any luck?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 10:48am On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Tnx 4d salute. If poverty is part of d problem of schools, how have prioWhatthervate universities solved d problem? of d items I listed, any luck?
There is no rule that states that poverty as a problem must be solved by any single entity or school. They are solving part of it by generating IGR to subsidize the school. Landmark is good example. They have similar facilities as Covenant but charge some 200k lower by reason of IGR. That's a private set up and not a public one that owes the general public accountability. They are solving part of it already and OAU too can join to help reduce the challenge of poverty.
This is different from specific researches
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 11:29am On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:
There is no rule that states that poverty as a problem must be solved by any single entity or school. They are solving part of it by generating IGR to subsidize the school. Landmark is good example. They have similar facilities as Covenant but charge some 200k lower by reason of IGR. That's a private set up and not a public one that owes the general public accountability. They are solving part of it already and OAU too can join to help reduce the challenge of poverty.
This is different from specific researches

Pls let's go back 2d question I asked initially.

lexy2014:

D question is how? How have they been able to show their relevance by solving d problems facing humanity?

Is poverty a problem facing humanity, Yes or No? If it is then universities have an obligation to research ways in which poverty can b solved, eradicated or reduced.

If subsidizing tertiary education is ur idea of how private universities are solving d problems of humanity, that means that public universities like OAU are at d fore front of that cos their fees are highly subsidized.

D problem is that u are confusing revenue generation with research. D purpose of research is to provide answers to questions thereby providing solutions 2d problems of society. But here u are talking about how IGR is used to subsidise fees as d way private universities solve d problems of humanity.

That's y I listed 4u d following which are some d problems humanity is facing humanity:
"Poverty, shelter, climate change, transportation, communication, health, clothing, malnutrition, religious conflict, security, corruption in government e.t.c."

How have private universities been able to use research to provide solutions 2 these problems?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 11:40am On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Pls let's go back 2d question I asked initially.

Is poverty a problem facing humanity, Yes or No? If it is then universities have an obligation to research ways in which poverty can b solved, eradicated or reduced.

If subsidizing tertiary education is ur idea of how private universities are solving d problems of humanity, that means that public universities like OAU are at d fore front of that cos their fees are highly subsidized.

D problem is that u are confusing revenue generation with research. D purpose of research is to provide answers to questions thereby providing solutions 2d problems of society. But here u are talking about how IGR is used to subsidise fees as d way private universities solve d problems of humanity.

That's y I listed 4u d following which are some d problems humanity is facing humanity:
"Poverty, shelter, climate change, transportation, communication, health, clothing, malnutrition, religious conflict, security, corruption in government e.t.c."

How have private universities been able to use research to provide solutions 2 these problems?
İ hate it when people feign ignorance and try to make look like a virtue to behold.
Govt is the one subsidizing those federal universities and not the schools themselves so i cant figure out how the subsidy is the effort of the schools ( public universities ). You are comparing university to govt that pays the subsidy and a fairer comparison will be to compare those who fund the private schools to govt who funds the public schools. İf the public schools generate their own IGR, maybe they will then be part of the solution of poverty in the land but not by getting money contributed by all citizens to the govt. That way the public schools are part of the problem being solved.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 12:42pm On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:
İ hate it when people feign ignorance and try to make look like a virtue to behold.
Govt is the one subsidizing those federal universities and not the schools themselves so i cant figure out how the subsidy is the effort of the schools ( public universities ). You are comparing university to govt that pays the subsidy and a fairer comparison will be to compare those who fund the private schools to govt who funds the public schools. İf the public schools generate their own IGR, maybe they will then be part of the solution of poverty in the land but not by getting money contributed by all citizens to the govt. That way the public schools are part of the problem being solved.

Every school in Nigeria is owned by someone or by an entity. Babcock is owned by Seventh Day Adventist, American University Yola is owned by Atiku Abubakar. Same way OAU, UI, UNN is owned by d Federal Govt. Covenant University or Babcock wouldn't subsidize fees on its own. It can only do that if d owners approve d subsidy of fees. So d same way d owners of OAU, UI and UNN, which is d FG also approved d subsidy of fees.

If ur theory of poverty eradication by private schools is that they subsidise school fees, then that means d FG is doing more thru its schools in eradicating poverty. because if school fees was supposed to b say 200,000naira, it pays let's say 150,000naira and d students pay 50,000. So public schools thru their owners are doing more in terms of addressing poverty going by ur theory.

Unfortunately, u seem 2b so focused on IGR as a core of d purpose of universities. d purpose of universities is learning & research not revenue generation. U are getting frustrated with d discussion cos u are focusing on d wrong thing. D discussion isn't about IGR.

Going by what we talking about

"How have they been able to show their relevance by solving d problems facing humanity?"

And I did u a favour by itemising some problems that face humanity since u couldn't raise any. They include:

Just like poverty, these are social problems that universities can help in solving by carrying out research to solve them. But u talking about IGR. Is IGR d primary focus of universities? How does increased IGR eradicate or tackle poverty in society? How have d private universities been able to provide solution 2d problem of shelter, climate change, transportation, communication, health, clothing, malnutrition, religious conflict, security, corruption in government e.t.c.?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 1:45pm On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Every school in Nigeria is owned by someone or by an entity. Babcock is owned by Seventh Day Adventist, American University Yola is owned by Atiku Abubakar. Same way OAU, UI, UNN is owned by d Federal Govt. Covenant University or Babcock wouldn't subsidize fees on its own. It can only do that if d owners approve d subsidy of fees. So d same way d owners of OAU, UI and UNN, which is d FG also approved d subsidy of fees.

If ur theory of poverty eradication by private schools is that they subsidise school fees, then that means d FG is doing more thru its schools in eradicating poverty. because if school fees was supposed to b say 200,000naira, it pays let's say 150,000naira and d students pay 50,000. So public schools thru their owners are doing more in terms of addressing poverty going by ur theory.

Unfortunately, u seem 2b so focused on IGR as a core of d purpose of universities. d purpose of universities is learning & research not revenue generation. U are getting frustrated with d discussion cos u are focusing on d wrong thing. D discussion isn't about IGR.

Going by what we talking about

"How have they been able to show their relevance by solving d problems facing humanity?"

And I did u a favour by itemising some problems that face humanity since u couldn't raise any. They include:

Just like poverty, these are social problems that universities can help in solving by carrying out research to solve them. But u talking about IGR. Is IGR d primary focus of universities? How does increased IGR eradicate or tackle poverty in society? How have d private universities been able to provide solution 2d problem of shelter, climate change, transportation, communication, health, clothing, malnutrition, religious conflict, security, corruption in government e.t.c.?
I can see you are prepared to feign ignorance here. Does the public schools have autonomy when it comes to the public issue of finance and day to day running of the universities? Yes they do. Does the private ones have same autonomy ? yes they do. If private uni. an seat down in the absence of the owners to start generating IGR then let the public ones stop crying to their owners. by generating IGR and running their school effectively they will be able to attract the very best brains and stand a better chance of solving other human problems asides poverty which the IGR will help solve.

FYI, I am not focusing on IGR alone but showing an example of what you asked for - how the private schools have been able to show their relevance by solving problems facing humanity?

How much does UI generate compared to Landmark? Why can't they come up with better IGR to help make their school better run once the govt is already subsidizing them heavily?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 2:02pm On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:
I can see you are prepared to feign ignorance here. Does the public schools have autonomy when it comes to the public issue of finance and day to day running of the universities? Yes they do. Does the private ones have same autonomy ? yes they do.If private uni. an seat down in the absence of the owners to start generating IGR then let the public ones stop crying to their owners. by generating IGR and running their school effectively they will be able to attract the very best brains and stand a better chance of solving other human problems asides poverty which the IGR will help solve.

Pls tell me how do private universities generate revenue& how do they generate that revenue "in d absence of their owners"?

Let's look at some examples of poverty. Let's take Alimajiri for instance. How does increased revenue&attracting the very best brains in private universities solve d alimajiri problem? Let's also look at prostitution, malnutrition, corruption in government, climate change, medicine, chemistry, business, unemployment. How does increased revenue&attracting the very best brains in private universities solve all these problems?
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 2:58pm On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Pls tell me how do private universities generate revenue& how do they generate that revenue "in d absence of their owners"?

Let's look at some examples of poverty. Let's take Alimajiri for instance. How does increased revenue&attracting the very best brains in private universities solve d alimajiri problem? Let's also look at prostitution, malnutrition, corruption in government, climate change, medicine, chemistry, business, unemployment. How does increased revenue&attracting the very best brains in private universities solve all these problems?
Increased revenue can help train brilliant almajiris.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 3:05pm On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Increased revenue can help train brilliant almajiris.

How? Which private university has allocated its funds 4 training alimanjiris?

U avoided answering d questions I asked. Don't tell me u aren't versed on d subject matter. U made some claims. So pls clarify them by answering d following:

lexy2014:

Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 3:21pm On Jan 23, 2019
lexy2014:

How? Which private university has allocated its funds 4 training alimanjiris?

U avoided answering d questions I asked. Don't tell me u aren't versed on d subject matter. U made some claims. So pls clarify them by answering d following:

Almajiris aren't the only poor folks around. There are poor and brilliant folks out there getting sponsored to study and that in itself is a contribution towards the solutions to mankind's problems.

If I avoided your question then it is because they are diversionary in nature. You tried belittling the points I raised earlier and when that became too hard to do you started bombarding me with needless questions.
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by lexy2014: 4:03pm On Jan 23, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Almajiris aren't the only poor folks around. There are poor and brilliant folks out there getting sponsored to study and that in itself is a contribution towards the solutions to mankind's problems.

If I avoided your question then it is because they are diversionary in nature. You tried belittling the points I raised earlier and when that became too hard to do you started bombarding me with needless questions.

I used d alimanjiri as an example cos it is a social problem confronting us in nigeria. Am asking about d alimanjiri cos as far as poverty is concerned y do we have alimanjiris in d first place? Y is there a system that produces homeless children who hold plates&beg all day long? How have private universities made effort to stop a system that produces begarly children?

Once again let me remind of d question I asked d author which u responded to:

U have been going round in circles about IGR. How is IGR related to d problems facing humanity? In order to help u understand d problems facing humanity, I shared a few items with u.

So far, u haven't been able to address any of these issues in relation to universities solving d problems of humanity. I don't need 2 belittle ur points. D point u are making has no relevance 2d discussion & even u have not been able to relate how private universities IGR solves problems confronting humanity. That's y I told u that d discussion isn't about IGR but that's all u no. U don't even no what a university is supposed 2do. All u no is IGR which is quite shallow I would assume from a graduate despite I tried giving a headstart.

Again, u have made several unsubstantiated claims which necessitated me asking u questions so u could clarify urself. It seems u made those claims out of sentiment & not knowledge hence u are stuck without any answer to defend ur position. Its in response 2 ur claims that's y I asked u d following questions.

lexy2014:

If u actually knew what u were talking about, u would have been able to answer these questions without hesitation. Pls take responsibility 4 ur inability to make adequate contributions 2d discussion. It has nothing 2do with me
Re: List Of Church Owned Universities In Nigeria by Godssword1(m): 9:06pm On Jul 02, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"The Truth About IG Yusuf's Sex Scandal With Grace, 400l IBB University Student" / Father Emmanuel Edeh Celebrates His 70th Birthday (Photos) / Physics ABU Zaria Bad Result (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.