Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,297 members, 7,819,001 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

Yam Business? Things You Should Know - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Yam Business? Things You Should Know (3945 Views)

Young Lady Uses 250k Boyfriend Gave Her For Hair To Start Fried Yam Business / Come In If You Are Interested In Yam Business / I Have Trained Five Graduates With Proceeds From Roasted Yam Business - Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Omobola121(f): 10:59pm On Jan 19, 2019
As a Nigerian, you will agree with me that Food business is one of the moving and profitable business here in 9ja. And of which, Yam in particular is a money making food business if it is done properly.

Of recent, people are beginning to go into yam business, because yam in Nigeria is a general household food and even in some other countries. Moreover, Yam has the ability to stay longer in the store than any other tubers.

Apart from eating yam as a normal food, It can also be used for other consumption such as chips, Yam flour, pounded yam among others.

In this article, I will be showing you ways on how to go about it ranging from sourcing, transporting to selling.

Note: Everything written here, is my personal experience in the business. Hence, it might differs from the ones you have known or experienced before.

SOURCING

Well, some people have been saying that Benue is the best place to buy yams bla bla. I won't say it is not neither will I say it is because practically, I have tried the market and some other markets. What I will say is whether Benue, Abuja, Saki or Niger en, it all depends on your bargaining power and your personal relationship with the real owner of the yams (The farmer).

When I started, my first market is Saki in Oyo State. (People who patronize the market will know that it is a good place to source for yam and get it in cheaper prices)

There in the market, One hand is 120 tubers and if you are lucky, they might add like 4 to 6 tubers for you depending on the size of yams you are buying. And the good thing about this market is that you will see yam for as low as 30k and still make your profit after reselling.
I prefer this market because at the point of reselling, you will sell 100 tubers for one hand instead of 120 and sell the remaining 20 separately which can cover up for transportation and other logistics.

Another market is Benue ( Zaki Biam Yam Market). No doubt, it is the biggest yam market in Nigeria and people from across the country always go there to make purchases because you will surely get yams to buy. Also, there are Vehicles always ready to transport your yam to its destination even outside the country.

Other markets include Abuja, Niger, Taraba and Nassarawa.

TRANSPORTING YOUR YAM

In every of the mentioned markets, there are Vehicles positioned for different locations. All you need to do is to meet with the person in charge of all the vehicles and book down. You will be given a ticket and then assigned you to a vehicle going to your location.

In transporting your yams, full roll of a trailler goes for 15k ( I know of Saki, Benue and Niger) I don't know of Abuja and other places. You will also pay some other money like the people that will arrange the yams, wheelbarrow and other small small money like that.

SELLING

So far, I have been taking my yams to Mile 12 in Lagos. It is the biggest open market in Nigeria.
The good thing about this market is that no joining of association like yam sellers asso etc unlike other markets.

So, you can take your goods and sell freely in the market. Although, there are some tickets you will pay for before offloading your yam.

Now selling your yams, you don't have to worry because there are stand by people in charge of that. You only need to sit, watch and collect your cash if the bargain is nice. And people will even come to your stand without calling them to check and price it.

Well, I think with this little explanation, you should be good to go. Meanwhile, I would want you take this last sentences below very important.

If you are not a serious goal setter and goal achiever person, don't try this business. why? Because a long the way, you will get frustrated and feel like backing out.

Yam business is for rugged individuals. Is it the moving up and down in the market sourcing for good and cheaper yams? Or struggling to get your yam transported? or the people (farmers) you will be dealing with? In short, it is not for Ajebos like you.

All in all, it is a good business and there is ma......ney in it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by omo17(m): 11:27pm On Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for d write up, pls are you still into this biz , and can you give us the profit analysis if this biz. Wat is d minimum capital to start with. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Splinz(m): 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2019
Thank you.

Please kindly give us the cost price of "one hand" and its selling price.

Also, what is the least estimate for a startup?

1 Like

Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Omobola121(f): 7:01am On Jan 20, 2019
For now, I have stop because there are some things I need to focus on.

Concerning the profit analysis, it depends on your investment money and the market situation because the truth is most of the times, you will even resell the yam the exact price you bought it and at times, you will resell for double price. So it depends on the two situations I mentioned. Let me say if the market is very good and you bought your yam for 50k, at least you should make a profit of 15k to 20k or even higher sef.

Minimum capital? I will say 100k, at least for a start.
Because apart from buying your yam, there are other logistics you will need to pay. Thanks

omo17:
Thanks for d write up, pls are you still into this biz , and can you give us the profit analysis if this biz. Wat is d minimum capital to start with. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Omobola121(f): 7:14am On Jan 20, 2019
Buying of yams varies from the sizes of the yam to the market where you are buying from. For smaller sizes, you will see 25k, 30k, 35k. For medium sizes, you will see 45, 50, 55 to 60 k and for bigger sizes, you will see 65, 70, 80, 90, 100 to 120k etc. There is no fixed price when it comes to buying of yams, it depends on how far you can negotiate.

Like I said, 100k is okay if you are starting fresh.

Note: Never use all your savings for business.

Splinz:
Thank you.

Please kindly give us the cost price of "one hand" and its selling price.

Also, what is the least estimate for a startup?
Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Splinz(m): 7:52am On Jan 20, 2019
Omobola121:
Buying of yams varies from the sizes of the yam to the market where you are buying from. For smaller sizes, you will see 25k, 30k, 35k. For medium sizes, you will see 45, 50, 55 to 60 k and for bigger sizes, you will see 65, 70, 80, 90, 100 to 120k etc. There is no fixed price when it comes to buying of yams, it depends on how far you can negotiate.

Like I said, 100k is okay if you are starting fresh.

Note: Never use all your savings for business.

Okay. Thanks
Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by emmyammy: 7:51pm On Feb 13, 2019
Omobola121:
As a Nigerian, you will agree with me that Food business is one of the moving and profitable business here in 9ja. And of which, Yam in particular is a money making food business if it is done properly.

Of recent, people are beginning to go into yam business, because yam in Nigeria is a general household food and even in some other countries. Moreover, Yam has the ability to stay longer in the store than any other tubers.

Apart from eating yam as a normal food, It can also be used for other consumption such as chips, Yam flour, pounded yam among others.

In this article, I will be showing you ways on how to go about it ranging from sourcing, transporting to selling.

Note: Everything written here, is my personal experience in the business. Hence, it might differs from the ones you have known or experienced before.

SOURCING

Well, some people have been saying that Benue is the best place to buy yams bla bla. I won't say it is not neither will I say it is because practically, I have tried the market and some other markets. What I will say is whether Benue, Abuja, Saki or Niger en, it all depends on your bargaining power and your personal relationship with the real owner of the yams (The farmer).

When I started, my first market is Saki in Oyo State. (People who patronize the market will know that it is a good place to source for yam and get it in cheaper prices)

There in the market, One hand is 120 tubers and if you are lucky, they might add like 4 to 6 tubers for you depending on the size of yams you are buying. And the good thing about this market is that you will see yam for as low as 30k and still make your profit after reselling.
I prefer this market because at the point of reselling, you will sell 100 tubers for one hand instead of 120 and sell the remaining 20 separately which can cover up for transportation and other logistics.

Another market is Benue ( Zaki Biam Yam Market). No doubt, it is the biggest yam market in Nigeria and people from across the country always go there to make purchases because you will surely get yams to buy. Also, there are Vehicles always ready to transport your yam to its destination even outside the country.

Other markets include Abuja, Niger, Taraba and Nassarawa.

TRANSPORTING YOUR YAM

In every of the mentioned markets, there are Vehicles positioned for different locations. All you need to do is to meet with the person in charge of all the vehicles and book down. You will be given a ticket and then assigned you to a vehicle going to your location.

In transporting your yams, full roll of a trailler goes for 15k ( I know of Saki, Benue and Niger) I don't know of Abuja and other places. You will also pay some other money like the people that will arrange the yams, wheelbarrow and other small small money like that.

SELLING

So far, I have been taking my yams to Mile 12 in Lagos. It is the biggest open market in Nigeria.
The good thing about this market is that no joining of association like yam sellers asso etc unlike other markets.

So, you can take your goods and sell freely in the market. Although, there are some tickets you will pay for before offloading your yam.

Now selling your yams, you don't have to worry because there are stand by people in charge of that. You only need to sit, watch and collect your cash if the bargain is nice. And people will even come to your stand without calling them to check and price it.

Well, I think with this little explanation, you should be good to go. Meanwhile, I would want you take this last sentences below very important.

If you are not a serious goal setter and goal achiever person, don't try this business. why? Because a long the way, you will get frustrated and feel like backing out.

Yam business is for rugged individuals. Is it the moving up and down in the market sourcing for good and cheaper yams? Or struggling to get your yam transported? or the people (farmers) you will be dealing with? In short, it is not for Ajebos like you.

All in all, it is a good business and there is ma......ney in it.

Ire oooo
Goan Make Money
Food Business
I am Omo~b (07036205410)
pls and pls dear I Will really need ur advice and guideline toward this yam business because am planing to step into this business full-time, I don't know if I shld chat u up with this ur number on wassap?

1 Like

Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by MikeBetty(m): 5:40pm On Aug 02, 2019
When Is The Best Period/month To Buy Yam Cheap For Storage?
Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by kellyo433: 2:09pm On Aug 23, 2019
MikeBetty:
When Is The Best Period/month To Buy Yam Cheap For Storage?

I have been into this business since November last year immediately after my NYSC...
the best month to buy for storage is December to February. but the best time is January because farmers are through with harvest and are willing to sale to settle for their children school fees and other things. secondly money appears to be scarce at that point.
good luck.

1 Like

Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by MikeBetty(m): 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2019
kellyo433:

I have been into this business since November last year immediately after my NYSC...
the best month to buy for storage is December to February. but the best time is January because farmers are through with harvest and are willing to sale to settle for their children school fees and other things. secondly money appears to be scarce at that point.
good luck.
Thanks, Really Appreciate It. How Much Is A Set Of Hundred Of Small, Medium And Biggest Sizes?
Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Kaylet: 9:31am On Aug 23, 2020
Nice write up
God bless you
Re: Yam Business? Things You Should Know by Executer: 4:56am On Dec 26, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Dollar Now Sells @ N907 In Polaris Bank As Hoarders Count Their Losses / Fish Farming: Recirculatory System Vs Flow Through System / How Can L Transfer Funds From Paypal To My Skrill Account.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.