Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,361 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

How Can I Be A Good Writer? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can I Be A Good Writer? (9375 Views)

Na Man Wey I Be: A Breaking Bad Story... / Please, I Need A Very Good Writer / How Can I Be A Proficient Writer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by tommy589(m): 5:14pm On Nov 23, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Dear OP I'll give you the same tips that helped me grow from nothing to a seasoned GIS analyst in just two years. These tips work for any type of career.

Firstly, know that writing is an art. So you'll go through three stages; pick a niche, learn the principles, get mentors and practice till you master the art.

So, dear OP, decide on which type of writing you wish to engage in. Journalism, children story book, copy writing, article writing etc are all different types of lucrative writing.
Each of them is enough to earn you a living so don't think of being a jack of all trades.

Then, learn the principles of that type of writing. You can search YouTube for beginner tutorials in your chosen niche. Or take a course on udemy or Lynda or Coursera. You may also download books on b-ok.cc. it's a very good website for downloading good books. I've downloaded tons of useful remote sensing, cartography and GIS books from the site.

Then identify the experts of your industry. Follow them on social media, read their works. If you're into copy writing then you might read copyblogger dot com. If your into blog writing you can visit blogtyrant dot com, if you're into SEO writing then follow Brian Dean on his blog backlinko dot com.

Also, try to join groups, hashtags and communities on social media. For example, the GIS community on social Twitter have a session every Wednesday night with the hashtag #gischat. Currently, there's a #30daymapchallenge campaign going on in the GIS community on Twitter. So, join your community.

Finally practice, practice, practice. And ...practice. As a writer, it's a good idea for you to have a blog where you share your writing (even if you think they're bad).

Warnings:

Don't judge your writing. There's one evil spirit that's always telling you that you're writing thrash and you shouldn't continue writing or you shouldn't publish it. Don't mind that devil.

You won't become an expert overnight. You might need up to six months of intensive learning and studying before you become confident.

I hope others add theirs.
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by okikiosibodu(m): 11:54am On Nov 27, 2019
FactBoyz:
It all depends on how you read..if you read wide you write well.. Right from childhood, I read various books. My dad bought lantern novels for me and I devoured it all.. I read world history, church history, books covering many issues...with laptop I had Encarta which was a useful tool.. It helped me write well and I turned my passion to blogging by establishing
I enjoyed your site but it has two anooying ads that keeps on popping up on each topic on clicks. Is there a way you can adjust that so it doesn't discourage readers?
You have very catchy contents though, and this is my favourite
https:///2019/11/conan-dog-instrumental-in-al-baghdadis-raid-honoured-at-the-white-house.html
Re: How Can I Be A Good Writer? by sophia8568(f): 11:27am On Jan 30, 2020
Writing one of the good way to present to any important information to any person. If you have the good writing skills.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corridor Of Hell: Guardians Of The Dead / The Proverbs Of Omenuko, The First Igbo Language Novel / Ben Enwonwu's 103rd Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.