Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,021 members, 7,852,504 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:19 PM

Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? (3202 Views)

Does Goodluck Jonathan Get Standing Order Of Impunity As Ex-president? / Does Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Deserves To Be Called An Hero? / Why Does Goodluck Jonathan Go To Germany For Medical Treatment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2010
monkeyleg:

U see our is there is not credible opposition, that is just the problem we have. Nigeria is a 1 party state, no opposing parties challenging whats going on. This is were opposing leaders should be taking a good swipe.

Where is Donald Duke, Buhari, Atiku, etc. I expect the opposition to be cririsizing the government, when they get it wrong, but they are not, probably because they will do the same when they get it.

Buhari, should be questioning why the presidency sees it fit to spend $150m on presidential jets when Nigeria is in the middle of a major economic crisis, why they plan on spending in excess of 74BN on voters register, and 12BN on independence day party?

[size=14pt]. . .And the 2.8 Billion Buhari stole[/size] doesn't count, because his name isn't Jonathan, isn't it? grin grin grin grin
http://thewillnigeria.com/opinion/4329-BUHARI-ATIKU-AND-REST.html

I'm having a really good laugh here!
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 15, 2010
in the end, johnathan will be president -  its the power of the incumbent - forget all this mindless praise singing - we have seen it all before - we saw the 2 million man march and the nauseating ads that compared abacha to jfk and de gaulle. five parties adopted him. so all this noise is a waste of time. pdp will nominate johnathan, and he will become president. all this 74 billion on INEC means nothing. its pdp, the elections will not be free or fair, but johnatan will be able to wave the 74 billion naira bill in the face of western nations as a shred of credibility .

johnathan will be president, not because of his non existent achievements ( maybe his praise singers can point to something he achivede as deputy governor, governor,  vic president, other than getting his money laundering wife off efcc's hook

but it will be more of the same - it has been pointed out - all over the world serious governments are tightening their belts, while this administration is bent on mindless billion naira squander-mania

if this first 100 days is anything to go by, we will be owing the paris club more than we did before obj paid them off, and it will be money spent of frivolties and the celebration of mediocre incompetents( we all saw the list of officer of the niger etal)  .

it seems that all johnathans supporters have to say is he is the better evil compared to ibb, nothing more. but then, there's really nothing else they an say. the guy doesn't stand for anything

anyway, at least as obj's puppet, he will finish the power projects obj started, if nothing else.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 15, 2010
Beaf:

No, Ileke, you ain't off topic. Your take is very brilliant.

Most people who aren't among the lot unhappy that their anti-Nigerian money spinners in the power and petroleum sectors have been snatched; are those who have only ever experienced military rule and its backward dictatorial methods. They really do not understand that a democracy is about the people, about community, consensus and the diplomatic ability to create and drive consensus.

It is a sad level of ignorance amongst a lot of Nigerians.

Exactly! undecided

If only they did. . . .
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by labiyemmy(m): 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2010
Gbawe:

Give it a rest. You live in London so I don't expect you to understant that , to suffering Nigerians , even 1 days is more than enough for loss of life and livelyhood due to profligate and clueless leadership. My man , I personally protested on the Streets of London for Jonathan to become President !!! Were you there?

Please try to understand that critics of Jonathan do not hate him personally. We just do not have time for Yar Adua part 2 . You cannot expect us to believe that a Pig will give birth to a Chicken . Similarly, looking at those Jonathan is associating with, you cannot expect Nigerians to believe that he is the man to move us forward . When we protested that the signs were bad with how Yar Adua was too comfortable with crooks like Ibori , supporters of our former President also stated that we should not "force your ugly opinions about him on us all". We then went on to have three whole years of backwardness under UMYA !!!! Now you want to say that obvious signs that Jonathan is Yar Adua part 2 should be ignored considering how badly the nation drifted under our immediate past President ?

The worst indictments against Jonathan are his insensitively profligate spending and the dubious company he keeps plus zero movement on the war against corruption .  Aondoakaa is even campaigning for Jonathan for christ sake after all he put Nigeria through only yesterday !!!! Jonathan 'settled' the Governors with 20 billion to gain their support in becoming acting President . Since then the trend of throwing money at everything has gotten worse.

Are some of you not ashamed that UMYA's signature was forged to approve a budget purely for the purpose of 'sorting' "awon boys" yet there is still no investigation into this by a Government  that has no strong conviction on anything?
Keep fooling yourself that some of us want to "force your ugly opinions about him on us all" rather than appreciate that some Nigerians do not feel Nigeria has anymore time to waste with accidental leaders who , concidentally , seem to enjoy the backing of our nation's biggest proven enemies and mercenary opportunists.

Because you see London under my username has made you to blindly conclude that I live in London and dont know whats up in Naija? Thats one of the mistakes that sends people like you talking meaninglessly.

What is your proof of the loud but senseless statement that Jonathan settled governors with 20Billion Naira? I can take you up on that and I bet you will eat those words back and you will be silent forever.

I think it is you who is fooling yourself with criticisms that dont hold water- all you have said is just another rant that cant noit be substantiated- where is Gani today (may his soul rest in peace) - where is Keyamo, where are all those who rants at everythigng government and yet, Nigeria is still what it is since they have been ranting? It just shows that rants dont work, it gets you nowhere and it is time to stop it and let those who want to sincerely work to improve Naija to work.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by monkeyleg: 10:29pm On Aug 15, 2010
@Beaf,

read my post properly before you respond. In a true democracy, you will have proper opposition to check the governments excesses. Right now we dont, that is why GJ is running off spending money like a kid in a candy store. Now I did not say Buhari was better that GJ, but he represents some sort of opposition and he should be talking up. Stop letting sentiments cloud your vision and judgement. What we have in Nigeria is no government, just a bunch of cowboys taking the whole country (and that includes you), for a very cheap ride. And as usual the common man is always easily decieved.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by YemiAlabi: 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Because you see London under my username has made you to blindly conclude that I live in London and dont know whats up in Naija? Thats one of the mistakes that sends people like you talking meaninglessly.

What is your proof of the loud but senseless statement that Jonathan settled governonr with 20Billion Naira? I can take you up on that and I bet you will eat those words back and you will be silent forever.

I think it is you who is fooling yourself with criticisms that dont hold water- all you have said is just another rant that cant noit be substantiated- where is Gani today (may his soul rest in peace) - where is Keyamo, where are all those who rants at everythigng government and yet, Nigeria is still what it is since they have been ranting? It just shows that rants dont work, it gets you nowhere and it is time to stop it and let those who want to sincerely work to improve Naija to work.

You are a completely useless prat, how can you lick the *ssholes of everyone in political office so blindly - from Bankole to Yar'Adua to Johnathan. You really are a goat who talks without meaning and can be easily lead and distracted.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by labiyemmy(m): 10:41pm On Aug 15, 2010
YemiAlabi:

You are a completely useless prat, how can you lick the *ssholes of everyone in political office so blindly - from Bankole to Yar'Adua to Johnathan. You really are a goat who talks without meaning and can be easily lead and distracted.

They told me you were dead and buried- how come you are still here?
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by labiyemmy(m): 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2010
YemiAlabi:

They told me you were dead and buried- how come you are still here?

My first Class degree and Distinctions in Masters degree is still troubling you, right?
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Beaf,

read my post properly before you respond. In a true democracy, you will have proper opposition to check the governments excesses. Right now we dont, that is why GJ is running off spending money like a kid in a candy store. Now I did not say Buhari was better that GJ, but he represents some sort of opposition and he should be talking up. Stop letting sentiments cloud your vision and judgement. What we have in Nigeria is no government, just a bunch of cowboys taking the whole country (and that includes you), for a very cheap ride. And as usual the common man is always easily decieved.

I actually think Jonathans spending is in order. Everybody is querying $150 million for planes, while they forget about $23 billion for 3 new refineries and $3.5 billion for a new electricity super grid.

Its all about shouting fire where none exists. IBB will be laughing.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by monkeyleg: 10:48pm On Aug 15, 2010
@Beaf,

Ok please justify GJ spending $150M on presidential jets. Please sir clarify that for me
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Beaf,

Ok please justify GJ spending $150M on presidential jets. Please sir clarify that for me

It was to expand the presidential fleet, there aren't enough planes. The amount was included in the 2010 budget. As I said ear;ier, it pales compared with $23 billion for 3 new refineries and $3.5 billion for a new electricity super grid.
So why not scream about the billions, why bother about the millions? Something is wrong with your position.

It is also very important to note that the planes belong to Nigeria, not Jonathan.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 12:31am On Aug 16, 2010
beaf how much does Jonathan pay you to do this work for him. I want to know.  You are sitting online 24 hours for jonathan. He must be paying very well.

Just to correct you buhari never plan a coup in 1983. The coup was plan because they rigged the 1983 election in Yorubaland. It was a Yoruba man Tunde Idiagbon and his friend Bako that planned the coup and overthrow the govt. When they attacked the presidential house in abuja.  Bako got killed , but because of the way nigeria works. It was difficult for Tunde Idiagbon to become head of state not to create problem , since it was going to be seen as an ethnics coup. it took them the whole night to get replacement. nigerian waited for long to know who?  That night they went to bring Buhari to become head of state. Buhari was a replacement for Bako.

That account for why Tunde Idiagbon  was  in control of the govt.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 1:02am On Aug 16, 2010
muritala coupist
Colonels Ibrahim Taiwo (Yoruba), Olusegun Obasanjo(Yoruba), Lt. Cols. Shehu Yar'Adua(Umaru brother), Ibrahim Babangida ,TY Danjuma.

Muritala pretend that he was going to london. He went to london days before Gowon went to OAU meeting. On the night of the coup. He return back and land at the kano airport. before they move him to radio nigeria lagos. So beaf, do you think we can get justice. ?
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 1:29am On Aug 16, 2010
Orkar coup

Major Gideon Gwaza Orkar
Captain N Harley Empere
Captain Perebo A Dakolo
Capt AA Nonju
Lt. AE Akogun(Yoruba)
Lt. CN Odey
Lt. Cyril O Ozualor
Lt. NEO Deji(Yoruba)
2/Lt AB Umukoro
2/Lt EJ Ejesuku
L/Cpl  Mike Odeniyi(Yoruba)
L/Cpl David Oke(Yoruba)
L/Cpl  Kingsley Aromeh
Sgt. Lawrence Ademola(Yoruba)
Signal Man Fatai Daranijo(Yoruba)
SSgt Julius Itua
Sgt Martins Ademokhai
L/Cpl Albert Ojerangbe
L/Cpl Godfrey Deesiiyira
L/Cpl Emma Oyemolan(Yoruba)
Sgt. Stephen Iyeke
Cpl. Joseph Efe
WO Afolabi Moses(Yoruba)
L/Cpl Idowu Azeez(Yoruba)
WO Jonathan Ekini
S/Sgt Solomon Okungbowa(Yoruba)
Ex. Pvt Osazuwa Osifo
Ex. Pvt CP Wasiu Lawal(Yoruba)
Corporal Lateef Awolola(Yoruba)
WO2 Godwin Donkon
Sgt. Ojo Adegboyega(Yoruba)
Corp Olanrewaju Ogunshola(Yoruba)
L/Cpl Luka Yang
Trooper Malkily Ayogu
L/Cpl Andrew Onah
Michael Ebeku
Pvt. Godwin Airomokha
Sgt. John Benson
L/Cpl  Vincent Ozigbo
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Kobojunkie: 3:08am On Aug 16, 2010
Jonathan has no record on which to lean in his desire to become our president in 2011. His entire public service record reveals an incurable mediocrity: a nondescript deputy director at NDDC; a cowardly deputy governor in Bayelsa; a governor whose wife ended up stealing millions of dollars (according to Nuhu Ribadu’s EFCC); a scheming vice president and now a divisive and below-average president! Any student of Political Science 101 should conveniently predict that no candidate can go to the electorate with a record like Jonathan’s. That is why there are reports of secret meetings being held with foreign election bodies as part of a multi-track agenda. Nigeria is in a flux, almost like we were in 1998, and is therefore available for the taking by the most audacious political forces.

Seems this is it!

Unfortunately, the opposition is incompetent and pathologically unable to rise to the heights of power. The danger we face as a country is that a clueless Jonathan Goodluck might then, by stealth, inherit power. It will be unending nightmare for the Nigeria people: 8 years of kleptocracy under Obasanjo; three years of sleepwalking under Yar’adua and years of driving in reverse gear, drunk and clueless, under Jonathan Goodluck. Nigeria’s fate is sealed!

We can only hope something changes and soon.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 5:22am On Aug 16, 2010
Nigeria have had 9 coup so far.

Oladipo Diya coup

Oladipo Diya (yoruba)
Major Generals Abdulkareem K. Adisa (yoruba)
Tajudeen Olarewaju, (yoruba)
Col. Lawan Gwadabe,
Senator Chris Anyanwu,
Dr. Beko Ransome-Kuti  (yoruba)
Bagauda Kalto,
Professor Odekunle, (yoruba)
Comrade Shehu Sani
Anthony Awoloyi  (yoruba)
Julius Badejo.  (yoruba)
Colonels G. A. Ajayi, (yoruba)
O. Oloruntoba, (yoruba)
R. S. B. Bello-Fadile,  (yoruba)
R. N. Emokpae,
J. Isa,
Olu Craig,(yoruba)
V. O. Bamgboye (yoruba)
S. B. Mepaiyeda. (yoruba)
A. Lawal, (yoruba)
M. A. Ajayi. (yoruba)
G. P. Okiki, (yoruba)
O. O. Akiode (yoruba)

Navy Cdr, . A. Omessa,
L. M. Fabiyi, (yoruba)

E. I. Jando,
D. Ndubueze
Y. Bako,
K. H. Bulus,
S. E. Oyewole, (yoruba)
M. A. Igwe,
R. K. Obiki,
C. P. Izeogu,
A. A. Akinyemi, (yoruba)
O. O. Fadipe, (yoruba)
B. Mohammed,
Capt. A. A. Ogunsuyi, (yoruba)
U.S.A. Suleiman,
M. A. Ibrahim,
Lt. Olowookere (Navy), (yoruba)
Lt. D. K. Olowomoran, (yoruba)
2nd Lt. R. Emouhe,
Sgts. M. Potiskum,

O. L. Nyong,
Majors J. O. Edeh,
E. Obalisa,
N. U. Okoro,
A. Umar,
P. Usikpeko
Cpl. Godspower Ogbinovia.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 5:28am On Aug 16, 2010
So beaf of the 9 coup that nigeria had. 4 out of 9 had Yorubas involve. Only 1 coup in Nigeria had Igbo and only 4 had mostly northerners.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 6:38am On Aug 16, 2010
If I remember very well, On that day Buhari was not in lagos, he was in Jos. And at 9 pm Tunde Idiagbon voice came on air and said, the president was going to talk to the nation, which never happen. And it was very late in the night that Buhari came on. may be about 12 or 1 am.  But they could not present a head of state initially, they had none. They had to go and bring buhari from Jos.

Colonel Tunde Ogbeha was one of the coup plotter in 1983. most northerner officers only join mostly have the coup was success. It was abacha who came on air first.

Colonel Tunde Ogbeha (senator). Senator Tunde Ogbeha and Ibrahim Bako went into the presidential palace in civilian dresses. One of shagari bodyguard  killed Bako.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 7:04am On Aug 16, 2010
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2010
You can find nothing against the man so its time to fiddle and reach for straws. If you want to know about Jonathan, simply get in touch with him. He is the most open President Nigeria has ever had. So get in touch and ask him directly, instead of whining in the dark.
Beaf, you have not answered the question, which I asked. I asked you what the stand of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan was on significant issues, which affect this country, I asked you about his politics, his ideology, and you basically tell me I DON'T KNOW GO AND ASK HIM.

If you are going to vote for a man, are these not the kind of things that you would like to know about him. Apparently you are not interested in knowing the answer to these questions.

There are also issues which have been raised that you have avoided.

1. He cannot campaign based on his record from the previous offices, which he held (lecturer, director at NDDC, acting governor, because his performance was mediocre)

2. He was a cowardly deputy governor. This for me is one of the great albatrosses of GEJ. I have hesitated to raise this issue, but I need to ask, how was he comfortable to be the deputy governor to a corrupt individual such as Alamasiegha. It begins to show a very high tolerance of corruption, little moral indignation, and a facility for compromise.

Is he that he was unaware of the corruption going on under his watch as deputy governor, or was he part of it, or was he unwilling to do anything about it, or was he comfortable with it.

The easy association of GEJ with men of dubious or doubtful integrity is one of my great fears and concerns. He seems to have a very high tolerance for corruption and corrupt people going by his antecedents. If that is the case, he is certainly not the kind of man that we need.

Over to you Beaf. But as you said, there is nothing in his public record to let us know what his moral principles, politics, ideology, moral limits are. There is nothing in the public record to tell us what he stands for, unless we start asking him on Facebook.

Do not imagine that these questions will go away. These are the kind of issues that will be raised in a proper presidential campaign, and people are not going to go away without answers to these questions. Let him define his moral compass for us, with practical examples of how he has stood by his moral principles, and defended the interests of the common man i.e How he has refused to accept inducements to subvert the rule of law, how he has stood up for the rights of the oppressed and underprivileged, how he has carpeted corrupt and venal individuals etc as a lecturer, director, governor etc
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by labiyemmy(m): 9:39am On Aug 16, 2010
^^^^^^

Mediocre and cowardly!

What is the meaning of his performance was mediocre?

and what is the meaning of he was a cowardly deputy governor - ?? oe do you just want to make statements and assertions and you think peeople wil just take it hook line and sinker? These are your opinions bro.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Gbawe: 10:15am On Aug 16, 2010
@labiyemmy:

My friend , think carefully before you speak so that you are viewed as a decietful person. If you state your location as London anyone would be correct to assume you live in London.

What is your proof of the loud but senseless statement that Jonathan settled governors with 20Billion Naira? I can take you up on that and I bet you will eat those words back and you will be silent forever.
I think it is you who is fooling yourself with criticisms that dont hold water- all you have said is just another rant that cant noit be substantiated- where is Gani today (may his soul rest in peace) - where is Keyamo, where are all those who rants at everythigng government and yet, Nigeria is still what it is since they have been ranting? It just shows that rants dont work, it gets you nowhere and it is time to stop it and let those who want to sincerely work to improve Naija to work.[/b]

Dis man dey here dey look for proof ? See the thread below to note the latest spending of Jonathan even his die hard fans cannot deny reeks of corruption and callous financial irresponsibility .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-497818.0.html

Amusing that you ridicule and fail to understand the societal role/importance of men like Gani yet you maintain it is others who are "ranting".
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by SSaemoenl(m): 10:39am On Aug 16, 2010
[size=20pt]'Goodluck Stands as an ABINO'[/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 10:51am On Aug 16, 2010
@labiyemmy:

^^^^^^

Mediocre and cowardly!

What is the meaning of his performance was mediocre?

and what is the meaning of he was a cowardly deputy governor - ?? oe do you just want to make statements and assertions and you think peeople wil just take it hook line and sinker? These are your opinions bro.

I have made an assertion that Goodluck Jonathan's performance in all his previous positions was mediocre. In saying that I am voicing my opinion, oyu have not come out to contradict my statement by saying that his accomplishment as an academic or as a director at NDDC was stellar, brilliant, or remarkable. I have based my assertion on the fact that there is no record of remarkable achievement on his part while he occupied these offices. My point can be proved by lack of evidence. You can only invalidate my assertion by bringing me evidence of remarkable achievement while in office. It is very telling that his spokesmen have been significantly silent about his previous accomplishments. It is as was pointed out in the article that I posted at the beginning of this discussion:

Jonathan has no record on which to lean in his desire to become our president in 2011. His entire public service record reveals an incurable mediocrity:

Secondly, I claim that he was a cowardly deputy governor. I am not a citizen of Bayelsa State, and I am not an expert in its politics. However, his silence on the criminal activity of his erstwhile boss is to say the least disturbing. His view on the activities of his former boss are unknown. The only thing that we know is that he remained loyal to the man till the end. I have to ask myself, what kind of man remains loyal to a confirmed criminal. Certainly if I harboured an armed robber, or a murderer, I am sure that I would be viewed as a man of questionable repute. The crimes of which his erstwhile boss committed were definitely not trivial, and I have to ask myself, what exactly does one have to do to arouse this man's sense of moral indignation. His silence does not strike me as particularly brave. If his inability to condemn a despicable act of thievery passes as bravery on the part of anyone else, it does not with me. How many more things will he be silent on. If he is too compromised to effectively lead, and challenge wrongdoing, then let him excuse himself from the race for office.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by monkeyleg: 11:23am On Aug 16, 2010
@Beaf,

if you explanation is that Jonathan needs to expand the presidential fleet, then your excuse is extremely lame, and my view of your beloved president has even worsened.

Jonathan, is the only president I know who does not understand that there is a global economic squeeze, he is the only President (From a poor country), who is spending vast sums of money, when everyone esle is restructuring and cutting spending, even bigger economies (USA, UK), are implementing drastic economic policies, all in the bid to reduce spending and save money.

So you explanation my boy, goes to show that Oga Jonathan does not have a full grasp of the office of the President and what is required.

Again to start comparing him to someone else who spent $23b is typical of us Nigerians, we are very good at seeing some sort of good in rubbish.

Simple, Jonathan is not up to the job, so please drop this baseless sentiment and deal with facts.

Simple question, would Jonathan be sack for performance if he worked for a top private company,?my answer YES
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Gbawe: 11:42am On Aug 16, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Beaf,

Simple, Jonathan is not up to the job, so please drop this baseless sentiment and deal with facts.

Simple question, would Jonathan be sack for performance if he worked for a top private company,?my answer YES

Indeed . Now , even independent non-Nigerian experts , who have no reason to dislike Jonathan, are questioning his sense of financial prudence and patently irresponsible depletion of Nigeria's coffers and buffer provisions.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-497818.0.html

World Bank, analysts warn danger ahead

The culture of profligacy and expensive lifestyle among Nigeria’s elected politicians which focuses on the benefits of today without a commensurate transfer to Nigerians, is putting the country at serious economic risk, say the World Bank and analysts spoken to by BusinessDay at the weekend.

They warn that Nigeria is at risk of not having a fall back fund should it run into major financial difficulties following the fast depletion of its Excess Crude Account (ECA) from $20 billion in 2007 to a mere $450 million. Analysts who spoke with BusinessDay last night expressed fears that the money shared from the ECA would end up being spent on the 2011 elections instead of the purpose for which the funds were meant. The Bank specifically warned that the trend is not healthy for the nation's economy. The Account had, as at Friday, drastically reduced to $450 million from about $4.6 in May, and $3.5 billion last month.

Ibrahim Dakwambo, Accountant General of the Federation, said $2 billion was taken out of the Account and shared among the three tiers of government. This is in addition to N404.273 billion shared in July.

Also, one billion dollars was taken from the Account and set aside for the proposed Sovereign Wealth Fund pending when the Fund would take off, bringing the balance in the Excess Crude Account to about $450 million. World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Onno Ruhl, warned that the situation could pose a great threat to the economy particularly with the upcoming elections, advising strongly that government should ensure that the Account, which serves as a buffer, be built up once again.

He said : "First, I think that it's quite clear that in an election year, having last year depleted a significant amount of the Excess Crude Account to fight off the effect of the global financial crisis, that this year has some risk elements to it because the ECA is practically empty, and that's a risk to the economy. That mechanism, that buffer, has been the saving grace last year, but this year, there is no saving grace, thank God the oil prices are not low and production is quite high but it is a tricky situation. The situation shows that there is no buffer because the ECA is almost empty.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by monkeyleg: 12:27pm On Aug 16, 2010
The day we mature and start reasoning like adults, instead of having blind loyalty, that day Democracy will move forward in Nigeria.

Jonathan has not done well, and I am not saying he is worse than previous presidents, but his first 100days in office will probably get a 15% score, and if that is an exam, he has failed woefully.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 16, 2010
Elitism and G5 cruising!!!

I wanna go for a ride. get the plane ready, we are flying to Capetown. Go get me Amala and Ewidu in Lagos and be back in no time.

G5 cruising bich. That niggga be wilding up Nigeria's money!! He ain't got it; he ain't right!!! Politicians on facebook are just there for one reason. Ogre Jonathan is living the dream right now!!! What do you expect from fairy tales lovers who follow him like a zombie?
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Beaf,

if you explanation is that Jonathan needs to expand the presidential fleet, then your excuse is extremely lame, and my view of your beloved president has even worsened.

Jonathan, is the only president I know who does not understand that there is a global economic squeeze, he is the only President (From a poor country), who is spending vast sums of money, when everyone esle is restructuring and cutting spending, even bigger economies (USA, UK), are implementing drastic economic policies, all in the bid to reduce spending and save money.

[size=14pt]So you explanation my boy[/size], goes to show that Oga Jonathan does not have a full grasp of the office of the President and what is required.

Again to start comparing him to someone else who spent $23b is typical of us Nigerians
, we are very good at seeing some sort of good in rubbish.

We have dissenting views; but for adults, respect is a mutual thing. Be warned.

Your arguments are pointless and emotional. About the $23 billion for 3 refineries, what do you mean it is "someone else?" shocked
$23 billion is several times bigger than $150 million by my math, so why isn't this righteous cry of poverty being raised, if not for ulterior motives?

IBB will be laughing with your arguments.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 4:46pm On Aug 16, 2010
@ Beaf: I do not really buy into the last two paragraphs of the initial post concerning the actions of Nwodo, or the constitution of NCC. However the writer raises a number of serious issues, which I would like you to address (as opposed to evade). The writer states that:

Jonathan has no record on which to lean in his desire to become our president in 2011. His entire public service record reveals an incurable mediocrity:

If you disagree with this, could you please state his accomplishments in the positions, which he held prior to becoming president.

Secondly, the writer of the article accused him of being a cowardly deputy governor. One of the things, which gives me pause when it comes to Jonathan is his record as deputy governor of Bayelsa State. Here was a man who was comfortable to serve under a man convicted of money laundering and financial impropriety. Till date he has never condemned the action of this man. A lot of people have described him as being loyal, however loyalty cannot be an excuse for tolerating corruption and thievery. It seems to me he has a very high tolerance of corruption. If he could not speak up against the financial impropriety that went on during his watch as deputy governor, then what is the guarantee that he will speak out (much less act) against corruption if he becomes president. No matter how many exhortations he posts on Facebook, no matter how many projects he commissions, or foreign visits he goes on they do not define his moral compass. This is why some of us have been looking to understand his guiding principles - what he stands for. If one of his guiding principles is honesty and integrity, how does he square that with his silence over the actions of Alamieyesiegha, the readmission of same into PDP under his watch. If he prizes his sense of loyalty over the interests of the society at large (which it seems) then he should be loyal to his cohorts in an arena which will not jeopardize the interest of the society. If he is indeed a man of integrity, let him explain:

- why he never complained about Alamieyesiegha criminal embezzlement of funds
- his stance on the readmission of a convict into the fold of PDP

Please square this with honesty, integrity and moral fitness for high office.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 5:00pm On Aug 16, 2010
^
You are running rings around yourself. There is no wisdom in quoting from a discredited and hate filled article. It is not hidden that Daily Trust is the most tribalist, right wing piece of editorial trash. It is a paper that is openly racist to anything Southern Nigerian, why should sensible people use it as a basis for their arguments (except they secretly hold the same beliefs)?

This is from the same article, expressing disgust and hatred for Igbo people. It really isn't a piece of journalism to be quoted. It isn't even journalism, it is something from the gutter;

Last week, the Senate dissolved its Communications Committee. This followed revelations that the Committee chairman Senator Sylvester Anyanwu, had forged the signatures of committee members and security report used to clear the new candidate for EVC of NCC, Eugene Juwah. Curiously the candidate was still cleared despite the forgery! Those who hurriedly cleared Eugene Juwah to become EVC knew that he was one of those who took MTS Wireless to the mortuary; a record they don’t want interrogated! In truth, NCC is a house of absurdities! [size=14pt]ONLY IBO people have EVER been chief executives of NCC since inception in 1992: Ogbonnaya Iromantu, Emmanuel Nnnana, Mrs. Tina Nwachukwu, Ernest Ndukwe and now Juwah! The dirty manoeuvrings which led to Eugene Juwah’s emergence[/size] reached the highest levels of the presidency. One of the reasons for the desperacy is the 2011 elections. NCC is expected to funnel funds into the PDP’s campaign and Jonathan’s; it is therefore important to ensure that the “proper” candidate heads NCC. There is also the “small matter” of [size=14pt]keeping NCC under control of the “anointed” ethnic group[/size]. That was why Bashir Gwandu was not given a look-in despite his eminent qualification for the job: [size=14pt]he is not from the “owner ethnic group” of the NCC![/size]

Shame.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 5:14pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Beaf: You seem to be very skilled at evading issues. I have asked you to do three simple things:

1. Give me a list of the remarkable accomplishments of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan in the positions which he held prior to the presidency to counter the allegation that he is an incurable mediocrity.

2. Tell me how you reconcile being a man of honesty and integrity with his willingness to serve and remain loyal to a man who was convicted and jailed for money laundering and serious financial crimes?

3. Tell me how you reconcile being a man of honesty and integrity with the readmission of same Alamieyeseigha into the fold of PDP under his watch?

Please just answer these 3 questions. I'm quite sure that is not beyond you. This questions are personal to you, so you do not need to redirect me to his Facebook Page.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Bombs Go Off In Multiple Locations In Maiduguri / Pictures Of Sorry State Of Oyigbo Roads In Rivers State / Saraki Dumps APC To Run With Ekweremadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.