Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,315 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa (14577 Views)

Saidat Sanni Is LAUTECH Best Student With 4.88 Cgp(pic / Philip Toluwase Alabi: NECO Best Student 2015 / Unilag’s Best Student Scores 4.96 CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by chrisokw: 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2007
Good news to Nigeria from an Igbo:

Nigeria's Ndubuisi wins African Mathematics contest
From Muhammad Abubakar and Stella Agbana, Abuja

HONOUR came the way of the country in the last edition of the Pan-African Mathematics Olympiad (PAMO) as its representative, Uchendu Ndubuisi, came first.

Nigeria's performance at the competition held in Abuja between April 5 and 15 was an improvement on last year's (the 16th edition) in Dakar, Senegal where it won the silver medal.

Ndubuisi scored 31 points to win the gold medal, defeating nine contestants from other countries.

Speaking at the awards/prize giving ceremony of the competition, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, said the competition provides young African Mathematicians a unique platform and opportunity for healthy competition and exchange of ideas in the discipline.

The Minister, represented by the Education Secretary of the Ministry, Mrs. Bolanle Onagoruwa, observed that the knowledge of Mathematics helps the society in solving some of the biggest problems in life, pointing out that despite the central role of the subject in Science and Technology, many students still have phobia for it.

According to him, the difference between the developed and developing world is their application of science with Mathematics as its base, adding that Europe and United States would not have attained scientific and technological breakthrough without placing emphasis on Mathematical Sciences.

El-Rufai lauded the National Mathematical Centre (NMC) for bringing the continental intellectual competition to Nigeria. He noted that events like PAMO were designed to encourage youthful talents in Mathematical Sciences and to establish friendly relationships between African and European countries.

Director General, NMC, Prof. Sam Ale, said participation in international and continental competitions with attractive medals and prizes attached would serve as incentives for students of Mathematics and further arouse their interest in Mathematical Sciences.

President, African Mathematical Union and Pan-African Mathematics Olympiad, Prof. Nouzha el-Yacoubi, said the yearly competition has improved the level of awareness and students' performance in Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences.

She added that in the next decade, Nigeria with all its potentials, would be a leading nation in science and technology through Mathematics.

El-Yacoubi also expressed appreciation to Nigeria for making funds available for the successful hosting of this year's edition of the competition, while indicating the readiness of African Mathematical Union to collaborate with the National Mathematical Centre.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article11/190407
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by zebra(m): 12:00pm On Apr 20, 2007
Story!!!

Mathematicians in Nigeria are among the poorest graduates in the country. A lot of Mathematics graduates end up teaching.

I won't advice any child to go and read mathematics.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by docokwy(m): 2:13pm On Apr 20, 2007
You must be one of these 419 guys (Igbo, Yoruba, Edo/Delta Calabar) that give others bad names due to greed for monetary gains. Pray, is everything all about money for you? Knowledge is power and who says you must remain in Nigeria with a degree or higher qualification in mathematics? Do not be ignorant, my friend.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by Seun(m): 3:06pm On Apr 20, 2007
Please post a link to the source page of this story, otherwise I don't believe it at all.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by egoldman(m): 11:13pm On Apr 20, 2007
chrisokw:

Good news to Nigeria from an Igbo:

Nigeria's Ndubuisi wins African Mathematics contest
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article11/190407

Good for the image of the nation ,though i don't see the need to emphasize the kid is an igbo , and b4fore you call for my head ,am igbo myself .

zebra:

Story!!!

Mathematicians in Nigeria are among the poorest graduates in the country. A lot of Mathematics graduates end up teaching.

I won't advice any child to go and read mathematics.

[I don't that idea]
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by Christino(m): 11:48pm On Apr 20, 2007
Nna men, even yahoo yahoo na mathematics grin

You gets the money, i gets the brain.

You does the talking, i does the action. kiss
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by egoldman(m): 6:13am On Apr 21, 2007
Christino:

Nna men, even yahoo yahoo na mathematics grin

You gets the money, i gets the brain.

You does the talking, i does the action. kiss

and whats ur point exactly ,also what do you mean when u say " i does the action " ?
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by akara(m): 10:23am On Apr 21, 2007
do we have to place so much emphasis on the tribe of the participants? Anyone from Nigeria is a Nigeria till Biafra comes!!
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by adconline(m): 8:47pm On Apr 21, 2007
docokwy

You have started again. Tribalizing this issue. That's why politicians are using brains like to cause problems in Nigeria. A Nigerian came first in Africa and you have translated it differently.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by vikiviko(m): 8:52pm On Apr 21, 2007
A nigerian came first
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 21, 2007
@zebra:

Im disappointed. At a time when our countrys image needs to be rebranded, and we are known internationally as scammers
a Nigerian does something worthwhile and all you can do is scoff.

Secondly, whats wrong with teaching? Is life all about money? If all the teachers/profs in our universities had ur kinda attitude, then
our educational system would collapse. I'm sure you went to school and were taught by teachers.

Lastly, and please dont take this personal, are you any good at mathematics? grin grin grin If you were then you wouldnt be so quick to
scoff at what this person achieved.
If you scoff at others achievements, then others would scoff at yours.

Nothing personal by the way, wish you the best.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by Tonim(f): 10:28pm On Apr 21, 2007
What was the point of docokwy mentioning tribes now ?

docokwy:

You must be one of these 419 guys (Igbo, Yoruba, Edo/Delta Calabar)
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by egoldman(m): 10:48am On Apr 22, 2007
I do not think that docokwy have started any tribal stuff here by putting the different tribes of Nigeria when referring to 419 issue, i guess he was only trying to show that 419 is a probhlem that affects all tribes in Nigeria . The person who actually messed up the thread was the started ,why wont he say something like this " Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa " only , instead of adding this stupid one " Good news to Nigeria from an Igbo " and by the way am igbo myself .
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by AnthoniO(m): 1:23pm On Apr 22, 2007
Men, Come to think of It. Igbo Guys are really trying in terms of having a high intellectual ability. Even though our schools like UNN, UniZIK,FUTO are not as large as the schools in the west OAU and co. Our products are speaking.
Emeagwali, one of the greatest african computer scientists/Mathematicians is an Igbo
Prof. Chukwuma Soludo winner of the 2004 World best CBN governor of the Year is Igbo
Prof. Chike Obi one of the gratest african mathematicians is Igbo.
Imagine what would happen if we have advanced schools. The west (youruba's) appear to be better in literary arts like law, literature etc but obviously not pure sciences. Soyinka, Fawehinmi are examples of their verbal intelligence. In dealing with numbers and abstract reasoning we still top. Maybe that's why we are good with money and business : wink
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by adconline(m): 5:04pm On Apr 22, 2007
@ xtycod

have you checked my posts lately?
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by SamMilla1(m): 8:15pm On Apr 22, 2007
I will advice only the people who intend to become teachers to major in mathematics and physics. these two subjects will benefit african students in the next 100 hundred years and not now. before you call formy head, i ama mathematician with no job and hope to get a job except in the US or EU which is almost impossible.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by chrisokw: 8:33pm On Apr 22, 2007
My cousin has a degree in Physics and today he works with LNG Bonny where he earns more than 150K monthly. It is not about studying mathes, or any other subject for that matter. It is about coming out with good grades and defending same in any interview session outside the normal university exams. Many Nigerian graduates of today are simply bad. Period. It is much more than just having a degree.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by Nobody: 3:06am On Apr 23, 2007
I'm proud the guy is Nigerian.More proud he is Igbo.
Long live Nigeria
Long live NdiIgbo
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by ebos(m): 11:16am On Apr 23, 2007
I actually the young Ndubuisi scored 31 points to beat other nine contestants from the best nine countries in Africa that made the final. The guy was really good. That day in Abuja, the world was surprised that Africa could have such people, especially the Nigerian - Ndubuisi. The rest of the contestants were also good, I mean hot brains. I'm proud to be an African. If you had watched this Ndubuisi, you will join me to shout great Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by opuro(m): 11:35am On Apr 23, 2007
me am not suprised at all that a nigerian wins an igbo 4 dat matter, cos na dem sabi buisness pass any body 4 naija genue and illegal. and follow by housa, can just put 200 naira kola 4 tray and have 4 wives at home. generally NIGERIANS are all mathematicians to be able to cope with this OBJ govt. if not we 4 don die finish
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by zebra(m): 1:17pm On Apr 23, 2007
wavemasta:

@zebra:

I'm disappointed. At a time when our countrys image needs to be rebranded, and we are known internationally as scammers
a Nigerian does something worthwhile and all you can do is scoff.

Secondly, whats wrong with teaching? Is life all about money? If all the teachers/profs in our universities had your kind of attitude, then
our educational system would collapse. I'm sure you went to school and were taught by teachers.

Lastly, and please don't take this personal, are you any good at mathematics? grin grin grin If you were then you wouldnt be so quick to
scoff at what this person achieved.
If you scoff at others achievements, then others would scoff at yours.

Nothing personal by the way, wish you the best.

Pally shut up your mouth!! I read Mathematics (with bias in Statistics). I'm presently working but not as a MATHEMATICIAN. if it's not because of the money why then do people or everybody want to work in NNPC, Shell, Mobil, LNG CBN etc. For your information i have been a teacher before and i still plan to go back to teaching. But i will still say it here that being a mathematician in Nigeria is at your own peril because there are no good jobs for mathematicians in Nigeria. How many companies in Nigeria believe in the applications of mathematics and statistics in industries?? Even our government, do they believe in Mathematics and Statistics?? Do we have the data needed for proper planning?? Was the last Nigerian census (2006) not a failure?? Did they employ Mathematicians, Statisticians and Demographers to handle the census?? How many companies believe in the Design of Experiment?? How many companies in Nigeria believe in product/process control using mathematical/statistical techniques which oyinbo people in US and Europe use?? Yet you want me to believe it pays to read mathematics and remain in Nigeria. it pays to read mathematics and fly out to Europe or America else your knowledge will be wasted and lost.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by sweetchick(f): 1:19pm On Apr 23, 2007
Hope Oprah Winfrey and CNN caught the news. Abi, is it just yahoo yahoo they see?
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by youngies(m): 5:14pm On Apr 23, 2007
babyosisi:

I'm proud the guy is Nigerian.More proud he is Igbo.
Long live Nigeria
Long live NdiIgbo
Like Babyosisi, I am proud the guy is a Nigerian, and more proud that he is Igbowith emphasis

Had it been a crime he committed, so many people here that are yapping shit will be quick to point out that he is Igbo

Long live Ndi Igbo
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by junegirl(f): 6:04pm On Apr 23, 2007
I can't believe this!!!! A Nigerian wins a prize and all we can do is break it down into tribal connotations What a united country!
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by savesoul(m): 7:45am On Apr 24, 2007
All this is Bullshit!! Real Bullshit. Make dem go Use Mathematics collect money for Bank. Mathematics is the worst applied sciences ever known. they are always solving rubbish, solutions that wouldnt improve mankind I HATE MATHEMATICs for real
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by egoldman(m): 7:56am On Apr 24, 2007
savesoul:

All this is Bullshit!! Real Bullshit. Make them go Use Mathematics collect money for Bank. Mathematics is the worst applied sciences ever known. they are always solving rubbish, solutions that wouldnt improve mankind I HATE MATHEMATICs for real

What kind of nonsense post is this ,thank God for Seun , if not that he would ban my ass , i would have called you the name that fits people who post such rubbish angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by hayo(m): 11:21am On Apr 24, 2007
There are many things wrong with the average Nigerian mind. I salute those that have been able to transcend the limiting thinking of the average mind - those who do not subscribe sentimentally to tribal and religious affiliation.
I also salute those who have proven the ignoramus wrong about courses studied in the Universities. As far as I am concerned; until we are able to develop Mathematics and Physics, we will not be able to move on to great technological heights. The Engineering degrees studied in Nigeria will continue to be crap until we get the basics right - The foundation!
I did BSc Mathematics and I had the same notion with Zebra until my 300 Level. I dedicated the rest of my stay on campus to promoting the good Mathematics can do to students and the society and the results are there to see now. If I had been as informed from the beginning; it would have been good for me but I am very happy today that those after me know better now and are coming out with great grades while working in very good places.
I am also a testimony 'cos I work as an Engineer in a Telecoms company in a field that is very scarce to get human resources. The kind of achievements you make after school is dependent on you and your drive; not on your degree.
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by savesoul(m): 11:51am On Apr 24, 2007
@ebronzeman
Why are taking everything personal?
Are u a mathematician? i am offering my opinion and its none of your business
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by zebra(m): 6:34pm On Apr 24, 2007
savesoul:

@ebronzeman
Why are taking everything personal?
Are u a mathematician? i am offering my opinion and its none of your business

Dont mind him jo. Even if he's a mathematician is he d only one here on nairaland??
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by jgirl3: 6:50pm On Apr 24, 2007
Nigerian mathematical contingent to Slovenia 2006; different from the above though

Igbo first
Hausa second
Igbo third
Yoruba fourth fifth and sixth

God help Nigeria as a whole. Why must this xtycod of a person always tribalize everything? Seriously I usually ignore this kind of ignorance but with this particular guy, enough is enough.

Hisssssssss, rubbish!
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:22am On Apr 25, 2007
interesting posts grin but a few foolish replies. angry
Re: Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa by Nobody: 1:13am On Apr 26, 2007
ThoniaSlim:

interesting posts grin but a few foolish replies. angry

Could this be one of them? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story / 2016 Unn Post Utme Date And Jamb Cut-off Mark For Screening / Anambra Debate Team Shines In Singapore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.