Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story (14545 Views)

Why Were You Punished In Primary School. Share Your Experiences. / How Was Your First Day And Lecture At School? Share Your Experience. / What Were You Known For In Secondary School? Share For Fun. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 6:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
Mine was, I was so broke to an extent that I could not afford #50 for my transport to school (I stayed off campus), and the distance from off campus to the main campus of my school (Unilorin) is like Niger to Oyo. I had to relocate to school for two days reading, it was exam period. How I fed for those two days is still a mystery to me.

Share yours.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Dabesthing: 6:53pm On Sep 16, 2021
God was good to us then. I hardly went broke because I was into so many businesses back then e.g Post. -UMe reg and so on depends on the semester though. If you’re a student and you want to start a business without capital then check this out

https://www.nairaland.com/6753408/how-start-dispatch-rider-business

5 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Edibles20: 6:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
Lol. I was dead broke.
I remember waking up deep in the night to eat leftover foods from my hostel mates. Anything I see on their plates, I’ll just pack it and eat. Sometimes, will open the pots and pick the ones left by the side of the pots.
My roommates and I were not close. They were levels ahead of me. Different departments. Some were squatters. Most were Muslim. It was a northern federal university.

I could survive on 2,000 for the entire month. There was this burger sold in front on the hostel ar night. It was basically bread and stuffed with veggies. I’d gather all my strength and wait till night. I’ll buy one for like 80 then get water. Most times I went hungry. This was 2005. Suleiman Hostel, room A3 35.

I am really thankful for life. Life has been really fair to me since I got out of school. I have no single complaints

297 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by macnino399: 7:02pm On Sep 16, 2021
Recently graduated from uni(this year), seriously it was just God's grace.
Most times my friends asks me why I don't like going out, to them I was a sadist but deep down I was always running short on funds, most times I eat only once but don't complain. I just managed myself till I'm done. Now I'm done, I pray for better days ahead.

To all students facing financial challenges I have been there and it's not easy, I pray you get helpers. Hang in there, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

203 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by illicit(m): 7:02pm On Sep 16, 2021
Better by far

I did Tanke sir severally....

33 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by chatinent: 7:04pm On Sep 16, 2021
It was in the north.

There was no method we didn't use to cook potatoes. We ran on it for some months. That event makes me feel irritated by it till today.

No hungry man is proud.

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by jaeyking(m): 7:20pm On Sep 16, 2021
God has been faithful fa.
I cut my coat According to my size

Involve myself in all types of side hustles.
Typing, printing, selling, assignment
All in all just to get small funds

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Bluewitch(f): 7:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
It wasn't easy at the beginning Sha...
One time I was extremely broke, I had to mix red oil and crayfish and ate it.

But later my life changed Sha...
Things got better...
I could afford to spend 4k on food daily...

I feel students should try to get equipped with skills that'll fetch them money while at school.

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by slawormiir: 7:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
Damnnn niggar

Didn't experience hardship sha to be sincere

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2021
illicit:
Better by far

I did Tanke sir severally....

My brother. I think I did "Tanke Sir" just once till I graduated.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by illicit(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2021
lopjohnny:

My brother. I think I did "Tanke Sir" just once till I graduated.

Oh
I lost count

I was often broke but there were good old days too but I was often broke

So broke that I may not even have 20# for the school bus

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by emmadothings(m): 9:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
Na one Igbo girl for Orlu wey her mama dey fry Akara and yam Na she survive me with morning and evening Akara and yam.... sometimes abacha and coconut...no be joke o... finally I graduated with stomach ulcer and a second class

98 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by PrinceJoeWan(m): 9:52pm On Sep 16, 2021
Still in school, nt easy though at one time I had to go more than a week drinking garri with just salt, at one point salt got finished so I was left with only garri but I survived and still surviving by HIS GRACE

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 10:07pm On Sep 16, 2021
PrinceJoeWan:
Still in school, nt easy though at one time I had to go more than a week drinking garri with just salt, at one point salt got finished so I was left with only garri but I survived and still surviving by HIS GRACE

You will be fine bro. God will provide for you.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Matheusmartin: 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2021
Bluewitch:
It wasn't easy at the beginning Sha...
One time I was extremely broke, I had to mix red oil and crayfish and ate it.

But later my life changed Sha...
Things got better...
I could afford to spend 4k on food daily...

[/b]I feel students should try to get equipped with skills that'll fetch them money while at school[b].
It's not always easy combining studies with side hustles..

Many of my guys that tried it in pharmacy school probated at one level or the other.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 10:29pm On Sep 16, 2021
Matheusmartin:

Many of my guys that tried it in pharmacy school probated at one level or the other.
This is so true.
Not all courses give room for side hustle or skills. Except if one is extremely good.

36 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Bluewitch(f): 10:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
Matheusmartin:

Very true....

We just have to find a way to balance everything...cos it won't be easy on parents if their children called them every week for pocket money....

21 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 10:30pm On Sep 16, 2021
illicit:

Oh
I lost count

I was often broke but there were good old days too but I was often broke

Oh oh..
I think ladies did that often.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 10:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
Bluewitch:

Very true....

We just have to find a way to balance everything...cos it won't be easy on parents if their children called them every week for pocket money....

Hmmmm, true.
Even sometimes, before one calls his/her parents, s/he has to think twice so that he won't be more depressed after the call..

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Bluewitch(f): 10:36pm On Sep 16, 2021
lopjohnny:

Hmmmm, true.
Even sometimes, before one calls his/her parents, s/he has to think twice so that he won't be more depressed after the call..

Sure...

Back then I'll try to make sure it gets to a month+ before I could call for money....

School system should be set in such a way students could work and school

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Matheusmartin: 10:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
lopjohnny:

This is so true.
Not all courses give room for side hustle or skills. Except if one is extremely good.
Yes o
Tried it one semester like that, Omo, I casted o.

Had to leave hustle first o. Lemme face and get this book done and dusted once and for all.

3 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lopjohnny(m): 10:41pm On Sep 16, 2021
Bluewitch:

Sure...

Back then I'll try to make sure it gets to a month+ before I could call for money....

School system should be set in such a way students could work and school

Yea actually. That would have been a nice thing to do, but I doubt it's possibility in this country.
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Bluewitch(f): 10:44pm On Sep 16, 2021
lopjohnny:

Yea actually. That would have been a nice thing to do, but I doubt it's possibility in this country.

Many problems of Nigeria
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by siofra(f): 11:02pm On Sep 16, 2021
Mine was in secondary school, I still remember grinding green pepper to swallow with cold water garri ick! And climbing trees to look for fruits cheesy

For my suffering in sec school God blessed me with plenty food in the university. If go hungry now, then it's on purpose

14 Likes

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by bennyflipy(m): 1:25am On Sep 17, 2021
If you school for Kasu within 05-13
You'll know the distance between Kasu and Kano road, we literally trekked at least 2-3 times a week to Kano road from Kasu.
And we'll be bragging it's not far grin grin
I followed that same road recently ehn, omo we tried.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Fuyinge: 4:06am On Sep 17, 2021
Matheusmartin:

even online hustle? I get pharmacy school can be really tedious
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by yunqdady: 5:48am On Sep 17, 2021
Hehhee
Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by mactoni91(m): 5:51am On Sep 17, 2021
Na so i leave Lagos go school for Uniport oh

School life would never erase from my memory...

I suffered sha!

I remembered trekking one Friday from Choba to Rumagholu all cause i had no money.

I starved from that Friday till Sunday Night and became so weak. I searched every pockets of trouser and shirts i had to see if I'll mistakenly see even 20 Naira but found nothing.

I only found some seeds of groundnuts and Bitter cola which i had for dinner.

Next morning, my neighbour a Family, brought me food...(how they knew i was dying gradually, still a mystery to me till date ) They kept knocking my door atleast once everyday to bring me food.

Me wey by default i no dey eat strangers food.

They took me as family and gave me errands i made money from.

Infact, the man made me his PA and entrusted his ATM cards in my care.

Whenever he travels, he calls me to help him check up on his family from time and whenever they need anything, he authorises me to withdraw and send money to them.

Long story short, i still call this family till date and felt bad when i discovered he lost his Job.

First time i sent something to them because i still had their account numbers saved in my notebook, the woman cried on phone and thanked me with her husband.

Till date, I still Assist them in every little way i can.

They were part of my story

226 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Lordbinsmar: 6:26am On Sep 17, 2021
embarassed embarassed God punish all the past leaders that contributed to bad governance in Nigeria that have turned most graduates to nuisance. All serious Nigerian graduates with good grades deserves a good life. At least should be able to make a living from what they studies.

I wasn't really broke when I was in school due to the fact that my university is in same city where my parents lives.

But I really felt for some of my friends and hostel roommate who came from far places. A lot of them suffered especially during exam period shocked shocked shocked.

I can remember one day like that when two of my friends wrote 3 exams in a day with empty stomach embarassed embarassed embarassed the only thing they ate was the 150# snacks that I bought for them. embarassed embarassed

I wrote just one exam that day fluid mechanics because we are in different department and the two other courses they wrote was their departmental course.

My friends still managed to pass all the three exams with good grades. Since then I respected those guys.

My thoughts goes to all Nigerian graduates who struggled in school and still don't have something tangible to show for it, keep chasing your dreams and ignore the naysayers.

Naa only person wey don die wey no get hope,

Like 2pac said,"the trick is to never lose hope "

I wish you all the best.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by lkillbrokehoes: 6:45am On Sep 17, 2021
I was never broke in school, I had everything I wanted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were You Broke In School? Share Your Story by Matheusmartin: 6:51am On Sep 17, 2021
Fuyinge:

even online hustle? I get pharmacy school can be really tedious
Even online. Some people still do it Sha.
But it's never easy.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Prof Yemi Osinbajo Names Fuoye After Late Gen. Adebayo / Training And Certification On Scholarship / Federal Polythecnics Ilaro (2013 Aspirants)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.