Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

Ever Considered Changing Your Name? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ever Considered Changing Your Name? (13057 Views)

Elon Musk's Transgender Daughter Is Changing Her Name To DITCH Musk / Carrying Pregnancy Should Be Considered As Work, High Court Judge Rules / Have You Ever Thought Of Changing Your Surname? Some Names Are Weird.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by uuzba(m): 10:05pm On Jan 21, 2019
jaymee0:
If Jeff means Jefferson,
What does Bezos mean?
Probably some Italian something. All Americans are immigrants from Europe....etc
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 21, 2019
jaymee0:
If Jeff means Jefferson,
What does Bezos mean?
Benz
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 21, 2019
LouisBERG:
Have a class mate back then dude's name is "AKATAKPO"...but writes "AKA" on all his credentials and even in exams..

When you even call him by the formal verbally he gets irritated and furious...i keep wondering is that not your identity?

Some people sha

@ topic it's preposterous of me thinking such.

#caLLmeBERG
My friend's name is ocheze(king's seat), I wonder what her parents were smoking when they gave her that name.
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Simbrixton(m): 10:12pm On Jan 21, 2019
Yeah to an igbo name

1 Like

Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by verifiablefacts: 10:12pm On Jan 21, 2019
hadjipapiey:
In the time past as old as ancient, names are regarded as a symbolic means of identification, Ditto names of things and objects.

We however, by the way of church CHRISTENING, TRADITIONALLY, or in the way of Islam which is called AQEEQA, have a name given to us which connotes different meaning and at the same time expecting resultant positive effect of the name of the BEARER.

Sometimes, either by ignorance or by duress a child may be named a nomenclature that is archaic, doesn't have good meaning. In the west are names of Traditional deities, or objects whereby the bearer,as he or she grows older and wiser they despise those names. Vis-à-vis the UK and US .

We hear of different names like AJANLEKOKO, OGUNGBRMI, OYALEKE, ERINJOGUNOLA, BLIND, STONE, KEY Etc..

The question is Are you cool with your name and the meaning it connotes? If no, are considering changing it?

Mine is عبد الرزاق
Abdur Razaq
Meaning: The servant of ALLAH, (The Provider).

It is Abdul Razaq or Abdur Razak?
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Buffalo2(m): 10:29pm On Jan 21, 2019
Agbabiaka 1. Nothing dey happen grin
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Herlertah(m): 10:29pm On Jan 21, 2019
Yes, but not now, I am still someone conscious of what my family would do or say if I do that
But when I grow up and become independent, I will definitely change my Muslim name to a more befitting and adorable Muslim name (will be among the 99 names of Allah), just that I will have to go through certain things apart from legal steps (as stated by the prophet)
I hate my current third name like.....

Don't ask me what it is
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by doctore212(m): 10:31pm On Jan 21, 2019
Mine was George Amuewu IkeMama Ngozi. Am thinking of changing it.
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by lasmile(f): 10:36pm On Jan 21, 2019
Hmmm, interesting topic, but whichever way, I will prefare to go with any western or Local/traditional names. They do well for the child especially when you want to be free at heart when you can not be limited to what you can do in life. But Religious Names, no no for me, they trap you. How on earth should one be named Emmanuel, Joshua, moses, Michael, Elizabeth, Rachael etc for Christ sake they are prophets, you can't be E money with those names, no wonder Michael Adenuga changed to Mike. Daniel malaye to Dino, all Joshua are becoming Josh and Jeremiah becoming jerry and some others. Abeg I like my name the local way Abike
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by baby124: 10:44pm On Jan 21, 2019
Names like Ajanlekoko are nicknames that became surnames. It depicts bravery that an ordinary dog can oppress a Hyena. It’s not meaningless...

1 Like

Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by petroldollar: 10:45pm On Jan 21, 2019
rentAcock:
My name is Dick, my parents thought it was a cool name after hearing it from an American movie, needless to say that I was teased throughout my school days and I think it is part of the reason I'm currently in my line of business. I wish I can change it.
yes you can change it by going to a court of law to swear an affidavit to that effect
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by petroldollar: 10:47pm On Jan 21, 2019
id911:

I want to change all my three names. I no longer feel like bearing my family name or any given name(s) from my parents. I don't know how to go about it especially on my International Passport
when u are ready go to a court of law to swear an affidavit and also news paper publication

1 Like

Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Radiant1020(f): 10:48pm On Jan 21, 2019
No! Never! I love my name.
It means light... And that was what birthed "Radiant "

1 Like

Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by LouisBERG: 10:49pm On Jan 21, 2019
Valerie47:
My friend's name is ocheze(king's seat), I wonder what her parents were smoking when they gave her that name.
Lols..well, you never can tell maybe the circumstance surrounding her birth.

Funny name though.

#caLLmeBERG
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:52pm On Jan 21, 2019
martineverest:
yes.....I even want to change my English name to native name,cos it's too western for my liking and it's meaningless ....I believe I'm African tradition and culture

And what is the Name?
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:53pm On Jan 21, 2019
megacity:
YES

I didnt like my names so I changed my middle name and surname some years ago. The only reason I kept my first name was to maintain some sort of link with my former name

Since then I have had all manner of issues! Once I gained admission to a postgraduate program in a university in this country and they almost didnt allow me to register because according to the associate dean (a prof), a man cannot change two names! According to the prof, the best they would do was to register me in my former name since my first degree certificate bears that name!

My forefathers coined those name based the limited knowledge they had back then and the names are not like godly. If after being a Christian for many years I cannot find the guts to correct the mistakes of my forefathers, I should be considered a failure

Good course
Nice1 wink
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:57pm On Jan 21, 2019
rentAcock:
My name is Dick, my parents thought it was a cool name after hearing it from an American movie, needless to say that I was teased throughout my school days and I think it is part of the reason I'm currently in my line of business. I wish I can change it.

Hahahahaha.. grin
Hilarious

You must look like one
Dîckkhead
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by rentAcock(m): 11:03pm On Jan 21, 2019
hadjipapiey:

Hahahahaha.. grin
Hilarious

You must look like one
Dîckkhead

Your sister knows what I look like
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:06pm On Jan 21, 2019
id911:

I want to change all my three names. I no longer feel like bearing my family name or any given name(s) from my parents. I don't know how to go about it especially on my International Passport

I bet you'll spend nothing less than 150k to change that in Abuja. I did changed my age on my passport in 2014, spent like 120k. It's possible doh

For the rest, do affidavits or on newspaper publication
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Reeberry: 11:07pm On Jan 21, 2019
martineverest:
yes.....I even want to change my English name to native name,cos it's too western for my liking and it's meaningless ....I believe I'm African tradition and culture
Mtchew. You want to tell us you don't have a native name at all? undecided
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Elliot2(m): 11:08pm On Jan 21, 2019
Elliot: sounds like one British sailor. I don't like it,I would prefer a native name.
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Konquest: 11:10pm On Jan 21, 2019
Never! grin I love my names.
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:18pm On Jan 21, 2019
verifiablefacts:

It is Abdul Razaq or Abdur Razak?

Who's this one
Who teaches one how to write his name

BTW, you just proved to be among numerous goofballs who, when you write Abdur Razaq give them, they'll still change it to Abdul Rasak especially in banks. I change am for one, even after I told her write my name as it's written there, she still wrote nonsense. Na you born me! Abi you sabi transliterated my name pass me ni!

Crack heads sad
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by hadjipapiey(m): 11:20pm On Jan 21, 2019
Herlertah:
Yes, but not now, I am still someone conscious of what my family would do or say if I do that
But when I grow up and become independent, I will definitely change my Muslim name to a more befitting and adorable Muslim name (will be among the 99 names of Allah), just that I will have to go through certain things apart from legal steps (as stated by the prophet)
I hate my current third name like.....

Don't ask me what it is

Would love to know wink
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by ymstar(m): 11:27pm On Jan 21, 2019
lasmile:
Hmmm, interesting topic, but whichever way, I will prefare to go with any western or Local/traditional names. They do well for the child especially when you want to be free at heart when you can not be limited to what you can do in life. But Religious Names, no no for me, they trap you. How on earth should one be named Emmanuel, Joshua, moses, Michael, Elizabeth, Rachael etc for Christ sake they are prophets, you can't be E money with those names, no wonder Michael Adenuga changed to Mike. Daniel malaye to Dino, all Joshua are becoming Josh and Jeremiah becoming jerry and some others. Abeg I like my name the local way Abike

Abimbike, Aunty mi Abike
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Damojoy(m): 12:07am On Jan 22, 2019
Shibaraba:
Whatever you do don't change your name to Evans

Imagine you go market your mate come dey shout see Evans see Evans.
What if the person is dark??
Re: Ever Considered Changing Your Name? by Herlertah(m): 12:24am On Jan 22, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Love My Sister In Law / Wife Financial Insincerity / Palm Kernel Oil And Coconut Oil. ( Adin Eyan Ati Adin Agbon) Available Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.