₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,184,333 members, 4,762,484 topics. Date: Saturday, 16 February 2019 at 08:21 AM

Whispers Of The Dark - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Whispers Of The Dark (307 Views)

Woes Of The Dark Night / DARK MYSTERIES: SEASON 1 / The Silent Whispers Of Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whispers Of The Dark by Royver(m): 9:37am On Jan 22
"Aye, what seek ye in these gallows my good friend?
Do ye not know tis’ the resting place for ghouls and monsters?
"

It was a hot evening on that fateful day. The general hospital had just lost its quota of electricity and the person in charge had promptly run off to put on the standby generator. Urowoli stood at the entrance to the pediatric ward, all his muscles tense, his body sweaty, his proud itsekiri blood pounding furiously in his veins. On the outside he tried to exhibit a calm demeanor but inside his mind was in turmoil. Unlike the meaning of his name, he did not want to appear soft right now.

He was the man.

He was the pillar of strength.

Inside the candle lit children’s ward, his wife wailed in her high pitched voice. The infant had stopped moving. His chest had heaved its last. He had fought hard and long like the brave little boy he was but the illness had finally consumed him. The sudden flickering on of the incandescent bulbs in the ward did nothing to alleviate the gloom that had fallen. Other mothers murmured in silence. None were brave enough to approach the crying woman and comfort her. They tended to their own sick children and muttered desperate prayers under their breaths.

The now illuminated ward revealed the young doctor sitting dejectedly at the nurses’ station near the entrance. This is not what he signed up for when he left medical school a few months ago to start housemanship here. No one had taught him, prepared him, for the deep sense of loss from doing all one could do medically and still seeing the patient die in one’s care. He looked at the father of the child forlornly. He literally could think of nothing to say.

“Doctor, won’t you certify?” The nurse sitting beside him asked gently. “They have brought the light.”

The doctor sighed and nodded. He got up from the plastic chair he had been sitting on, and it made a scraping noise on the tiled floor, loud enough to let the mother know that the doctor was coming and she immediately intensified her wailing. Urowoli turned, saw the doctor move and quickly followed him.

“How goes it doctor, is there any hope?”

The doctor shook his head sadly and Urowoli clenched his teeth.

They had reached the bedside of the child. His skin had already turned a dull pale and his body was as still as any other inanimate object. Empty bags of blood and intravenous fluids hung at different sides of the small bed. The mother stopped her wailing momentarily to gaze at the doctor.

“Doctor eh, we can still do something eh, he is not breathing, he is not answering me, doctor do something eh, check him, check him…”

“Shut up, woman!” Urowoli barked sharply.

The doctor brought out his stethoscope and went through the motions. He knew the child was dead already. He flashed his pen-torch in the unresponsive pupils and scribbled in the patient’s folder.

“Doctor how is he? How is he? How is…”

“I’m so sorry madam, he’s dead.”

The woman threw her hands up, pulled off her scarf and tugged violently at her hair. Her screams spilled out of the ward like a violent tidal wave. People in the other wards came out to see what was happening.

Urowoli stood calm. He nodded and walked briskly out of the ward as his wife continued to wail and roll on the floor. A few moments later he was back with a black polythene bag in his hand, the sturdy one used by women to convey their purchases from the market. He picked up the corpse of the dead child and put it in the bag.

“Thank you doctor, I know you tried your best. My wife, gather your things, Nurse, let me know my bill so I can pay. I’m coming.

Everyone watched him quietly as he strode out of the ward, bag in hand. They shook their head in sympathy. They knew where he was going.

Urowoli marched out of the ward and headed towards the back of the hospital. He walked quickly and with determination as he wanted to get this unpleasant business behind him as quickly as possible. The baby had not stayed with them three months and he had tried not to get attached, but still his heart was heavy.

The forest appeared before him. The thick bush at the outermost part of the hospital. No one knew how the bush had grown so massively within the hospital premises or why none of the hospital administrators had bothered to clear it away. More than once bulldozers had come in and leveled the ground in front and around the bush to make way for new buildings, but the bush itself had been left intact. Various kinds of trees now thrived in its centre. They varied from palm trees to mango trees bearing untouched ripe fruits to tall luscious bamboo trees all connected by thick undergrowth. One or two security men saw Urowoli approach the forest but they turned the other way and let him pass. Urowoli strode on into the forest and was enveloped in the darkness. He took a few tentative steps further, his slippered feet sinking into the soft ground. Then he stopped.

There was perfect silence in the forest. Not a bird chirped, not a movement in the undergrowth. Urowoli stood still for a moment and then without saying anything hurled the polythene bag and its contents over his head and into the darkness. He turned and quickly went back the way he came.

A few moments later and the darkness stirred. Something moved stealthily through the bushes. The stirring increased and came from all directions until the undergrowth was a great fluctuation of movement all directed towards the foreign object that had been thrown in their midst. Long taloned fingers belonging to old, withered hands stretched out and the polythene was pulled away to reveal the corpse within it.

And then a voice, old yet firm and smooth as silk, with an air of centuries in its sonorous gasp, whispered:

“Ahhhhhh, steeeep a price you paid my child. You barely enjoyed the fruit of life.”

She touched the corpse’s legs and the dead child’s eyelids flickered and slowly parted as its anguished eyes gazed wonderingly at the entity before it.

“I see the pain that still remains in your eyes my child. I will release you of your burden so you can join our fold.”

The taloned fingers rose in command and the stirring in the undergrowth became frenzied. Big black rats, their eyes soulless and dark, emerged
one by one from the hidden holes of the undergrowth.

“Come, come my sservantsss." She commanded, "And free him of his flesh.”

2 Likes

Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Royver(m): 9:42am On Jan 22
Hi guys,

My book "I SEE THINGS OTHERS DO NOT SEE" has been published into a 200 page novel. You can send an email for the hardcopy here royofilibooks@yahoo.com and we will send it to you wherever you are in the country. Or you can get the ecopy from the links below.

https://okadabooks.com/book/about/i_see_things_others_do_not_see/24127

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/i-see-things-others-do-not-see/23827340

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNP3X6X

Thank you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Ishilove: 9:52am On Jan 22
How very morbid...

Great job as usual, Roy. Will you be updating?
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Royver(m): 9:56am On Jan 22
Ishilove:
How very morbid...

Great job as usual, Roy. Will you be updating?

Hello Ishilove and happy new year.

Will I be updating? I don't know...yet. As my muse leads.
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Ishilove: 10:09am On Jan 22
Royver:

Hello Ishilove and happy new year.

Will I be updating? I don't know...yet. As my muse leads.
No even tink am. You cannor leave us hanging like dis sad angry
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by LightQueen(f): 10:31am On Jan 22
Interesting
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by ministerblessed: 10:48am On Jan 22
Present sir!!!
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by zerozeroseven(m): 11:50am On Jan 22
Awesome work as usual Royver!
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Royver(m): 6:24pm On Jan 22
Ishilove:

No even tink am. You cannor leave us hanging like dis sad angry

Lol, its a short. Not actually meant to be a novel. But then again I've had other novels start like this so...we'll see.

1 Like

Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Royver(m): 6:25pm On Jan 22
ministerblessed:
Present sir!!!
LightQueen:
Interesting
zerozeroseven:
Awesome work as usual Royver!

Hi guys!
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by michael123pelemo(m): 10:12pm On Jan 22
Update please
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Ann2012(f): 1:38pm On Jan 23
Interesting
Re: Whispers Of The Dark by Ryabcool(m): 9:01pm On Jan 24
Damn damn damn... How I've missed this guy's supernatural stories. I really hope he continues.

(1) (Reply)

Movie Script / Special New Year Toast To Nairaland Faithfuls / Beware Of Nigerian Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.