Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open (11354 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Bianca Andreescu Defeats Serena Williams To Win 2019 US Open (Photos) / Serena Williams Dress At The Australian Open Clash, Causes A Stir Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by buzkidOnline: 6:53am On Jan 23, 2019
Serena Williams missed four match points before losing to Czech seventh seed Karolina Pliskova in a dramatic Australian Open quarter-final.

The 37-year-old led 5-1 in the final set but lost the last six games as her bid for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam singles title ended with a 6-4 4-6 7-5 defeat in Melbourne.

Williams seemed unsettled after turning her ankle on her first match point.

26-year-old Karolina Pliskova will now meet Japan's Naomi Osaka in Thursday's semi-finals.

MySportDab report the other women's semifinal will be two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova against unseeded American Danielle Collins.

"I was almost in the locker room but now stand here as the winner," said Pliskova, who reached the US Open final in 2016.

"My mind was in the locker room at 5-1 down but I was still here. I was too passive and mentally down. She got a little bit shaky in the end. I took my chances and I won.

"Naomi Osaka is dangerous but there is nobody more dangerous than Serena."

Speaking after the game, Serena said:

See more;https://www.mysportdab.com/2019/01/australian-open-karolina-pliskova.html

3 Likes

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by GOFRONT(m): 6:53am On Jan 23, 2019
Serena william don cut pesin ticket......Ehn!!.....How can you allow this fragile looking Karolina to crash a gallant you out like that.....

Anty Serena, why you cut ticket??.....Wetin I go do this woman?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by sinaj(f): 7:17am On Jan 23, 2019
Mehn! This is quite painful embarassed

Getting her 24th title seem impossible no matter how close she gets to it embarassed
Now it will make her come back for it again.

5 Likes

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by SEONaijaExpert: 11:10am On Jan 23, 2019
It's obvious age is telling on Serena. I admire her gut and how hard she works. But it's difficult going strong all the way especially when you're not getting any younger not to mention she's a mother now.

I hope she hits the record but these young lass ain't respecting her reputation. She might just considering retiring and focus on family.

I salute how hard Serena works. She's got nothing else to proof to anyone.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:10am On Jan 23, 2019
Serena has fought a good fight.
She has made her mark in the Tennis world.
We think it is high time she consider retirement from professional Tennis to take care of other businesses and family.

She came, She saw and she conquered!
One Love Pretty Diva.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Olalekank(m): 11:10am On Jan 23, 2019
Serena Williams, a top tennis champion gets defeated.

Apparently, nothing lasts forever.

Dust off every proudness and remain humble.

Nothing lasts forever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by MediahelmNGR: 11:10am On Jan 23, 2019
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Exwizard: 11:10am On Jan 23, 2019
You people don't know anything, the illuminati cabal are not happy at Serena Williams, so things shall fall apart

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Richdad50(m): 11:11am On Jan 23, 2019
A very good news. If you hate Trump and support wicked liberal and gay agenda, you will go down, down and down.

#Richdad

8 Likes

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Didi2d(m): 11:11am On Jan 23, 2019
People ticket don cast!!
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Witlee(m): 11:11am On Jan 23, 2019
Abeg she don born, make other people collect something jare
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Witlee(m): 11:12am On Jan 23, 2019
Didi2d:
People ticket don cast!!

If you day carry Serena Williams now e be like say you day carry Chelsea for your ticket

3 Likes

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by smeag0l(m): 11:13am On Jan 23, 2019
She still has 3 more chance to get it within the year
sinaj:
Mehn! This is quite painful embarassed

Getting her 24th title seem impossible no matter how close she gets to it embarassed
Now it will make her come back for it again.

2 Likes

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by nakunuto: 11:13am On Jan 23, 2019
that match had to be intense shocked
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by omoteacher(m): 11:13am On Jan 23, 2019
shocked shocked shocked

One of my best tennis player after RF. They are simply exceptional.
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Seeker17(m): 11:13am On Jan 23, 2019
Interesting
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by smeag0l(m): 11:14am On Jan 23, 2019
She'll win one more grand slam. Most likely the French opens
SEONaijaExpert:
It's obvious age is telling on Serena. I admire her gut and how hard she works. But it's difficult going strong all the way especially when you're not getting any younger not to mention she's a mother now.

I hope she hits the record but these young lass ain't respecting her reputation. She might just considering retiring and focus on family.

I salute how hard Serena works. She's not nothing else to proof.
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by BenzEne1(m): 11:14am On Jan 23, 2019
manlikeboss:

Download Music: Eedris Abdulkareem - Jaga Jaga (Pt. 2)

https://afribaze.com.ng/music/eedris-abdulkareem-jaga-jaga-pt-2-f2536

Tvseries: Download The Flash Season 5 - Episode 11(Seeing Red)

https://afribaze.com.ng/tv/the-flash-f7/season-5/episode-11/

Lol.

Eedris and the Flash

Mb wasters association.
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by SEONaijaExpert: 11:15am On Jan 23, 2019
smeag0l:
She'll win one more grand slam. Most likely the French opens
I would celebrate her when that time comes.

1 Like

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Randy100: 11:16am On Jan 23, 2019
Too bad. Old age is now telling on her.
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 23, 2019
Exwizard:
You people don't know anything, the illuminati cabal are not happy at Serena Williams, so things shall fall apart
SMH.
No wonder some Nigerian youths don't work hard, they always believe in joining one nonsense group to make money.

Serena is ageing, and age is a factor in tennis.
Karolina is one tough player who has long legs and height, including her age.
Serena only has more stamina and experience but sometimes, the youthful strength can defeat experience.

Anthony Joshua showed it against Vladimir Klitschko.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by nuban07(m): 11:18am On Jan 23, 2019
Kudos to pliskova winning the set being 1-5 down against Serena is unbelievable
Re: Karolina Pliskova Defeats Serena Williams At The Australian Open by Pavore9: 11:18am On Jan 23, 2019
smeag0l:
She still has 3 more chance to get it within the year

I just have this belief she would win at least one of them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Medvedev Beats Djokovic To Win US Open / Messi's Ligue 1 Goal Drought Continues: No Goal In Five Games / Nigeria Drops Four Point In FIFA Rankings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.