Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI (28779 Views)

RCCG: Mad Man Disrupts Church Service As Members Scamper For Safety / Christian Student Beaten To Death For Wearing Cross In Egypt / As A Christian Student, What Would You Rather Be Doing During This Long Vacation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Go Down)

Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by truly: 8:03am On Aug 16, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5607292-147/vice_chancellor_averts_religious_crisis_at.csp

Vice chancellor averts religious crisis at Ibadan university

By Jide Jegede

August 16, 2010 12:23AM
Print print Email email Share Share

But for a quick intervention of Olufemi Bamiro, the Vice Chancellor, University of Ibadan, the academic community would probably have been engulfed in religious violence from the end of last week.

A 400-level law student of the institution, Seun Bunmi Adegunsoye, was said to have almost provoked tension, as she intruded on a Jumat service going on at a mosque within the university community, shouting ‘accept Jesus’.

Ms Adegunsoye, a Christian evangelical and a student of the Law faculty, nearly disrupted the ongoing service led by the institution’s chief imam, Abdulrahman Oloyede, as she continued screaming, “Except you accept Christ in your life, you are not safe. All of you here, no matter the number of the congregation, accept Jesus Christ. Allah is not God; Jesus is Lord”.

According to an eyewitness, her conduct attracted the fury of some male Muslims, who waited around the premises of the mosque almost an hour after the service, to deal with her for the “unwarranted provocation”.

Mr Bamiro, however, saved the day. He came to the mosque immediately he was contacted, to apologise to the Muslim students, describing the incident as “very surprising and unfortunate”.

He also pledged a full investigation into the incident and promised to prevent future occurrences.

Though effectively curbed, the incident is already threatening the peace of the institution and that of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, since it occurred last Friday.

Its effect resonated at the institution’s Obafemi Awolowo hall of residence on Sunday, as Muslim students gathered in front of the hall in the morning to engage their Christian fellow students in a verbal war. The mounting tension arising from the encounter was only quelled by security operatives drafted to the scene.

Already, the matter is dominating discussions among notable Islamic leaders and Hausa community leaders in the city, who considered it strange, particularly as it came on the first Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.

Planning a protest

A source also informed us that Muslim students of the institution are planning to stage a protest to the office of the vice chancellor and that of the dean of the faculty of law.

We further learnt that they would be demanding a stoppage to the examinations of the law faculty, scheduled to start today, until Ms Adegunsoye is brought to justice.

Addressing journalists at the weekend, Zakariyah Giwa, President of the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN), University of Ibadan branch, alleged that the incident was a ploy to “perpetuate religious crisis in Nigeria, starting from the campus of the University of Ibadan”, describing it as unfortunate.

He said Ms Adegunsoye’s action was a clear effrontery, alleging that, for the first time in history, she dressed like a Muslim to detract a jumat service in the month of Ramadan at the time the Chief Imam was leading the prayer.

“To our dismay and to the surprise of the whole Muslim community, we learnt that the girl has been released to her parents, the following day, by the university authority, without any reference to the Muslim community, due to the purported intervention of two senior officials of the university. The terrorist is let loose despite the heinous crime she had committed,” he said
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by Roliks09: 8:29am On Aug 16, 2010
I've been wondering when this news will break on NL. Now lets hear people's opinion.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by Pukkah: 9:21am On Aug 16, 2010
That was a needless and senseless action on the part of the so-called Christian student. A true Christian would not do that. Preachers should seek out neutral grounds for preaching, according to the law of the land, and not potentially explosive venues or gatherings or places where you can hurt the sensibilities of others. Imagine a non-Christian storming a church service to distort the service and attempt to preach to the congregation. People should allow sleeping dogs to lie and desist from causing chaos.

Nigerians need to learn to be tolerant of others no matter what faith they profess whether paganism, atheism, or monotheism. In fact, both Christianity and Islamic practitioners in Nigeria are also guilty of endlessly poking fun at traditional worshippers and making them the unveiled target of their songs, sermons, and even drama. Your right to free speech should not infringe on the right of others to associate. The fanatics and senseless preachers, across all religions, need to wean themselves of extremism and live responsibly.

People need to learn to peacefully co-habit as there's practically nothing legal that any group can do to drastically reduce the ranks of the other group(s). All are here to stay. That is the truth. The days of conversion in droves are over as the various groups have somewhat stabilised.

In fact, what should be food for thought for the religionists, especially the Muslims and Christians, are the social vices which the religions have not tamed and in fact spiralling out of control. There is little or nothing to show religion or piety in the character of many Nigerians who profess these religions.

3 Likes

Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by chakula: 9:26am On Aug 16, 2010
Assuming this event was plotted by the Muslims thousand of reply was made violently from the Christians accusing Muslims and calling them with whatever cruelty language they like, but you see know they occupied the entire thread soundless.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by teewhire01: 11:59am On Aug 16, 2010
Too bad. Being a student of U.I, I can confirm to you all that lectures have been indefinitely stopped and a strike is currently being negotiated.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by woro: 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
am quite sure dat issues like this are always handled in a soft and matured way in this part of the country but remeba these are d causes of religious crises we hear of and see in the nothern part without knowing the cause, causing thosands of lives to be lost and we come out to castigate the muslims calling them all sorts of names and the media painting it in a provocative way i rest my case
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by okgerald(m): 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2010
I used to think that its muslims that castigate xtians during their sermons but i was suprised to hear street pastors calling on muslim to accept Jesus as their personal lord and saviour
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by asha80(m): 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2010
Some christians can be overzealous and simply i.d.i.o.t.i.c
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by DisGuy: 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2010
Just saw it on NTA 4pm news

a 400L LAW student for that matter, she might as well start applying for a post with her church, she'll be lucky if she is allowed to write her exams

1 Like

Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by dayokanu(m): 5:59pm On Aug 16, 2010
The student should be expelled. Pure and simple No negotiation.

She was lucky to escape with her life self. if she wants to die, she shouldnt disrupt the academic life of 20,000 students
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by LeStylo: 6:07pm On Aug 16, 2010
With the rate Nigeria's evangelism is going, we go soon dey preach for inside plane. Na so one pastor go preach to ashawos. No be small thing. Dem nack am sotay he not fit waka comot.
Me i don warn una o! Watch where you go to preach. Afterall there's freedom of religion.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by Chongaiman: 6:15pm On Aug 16, 2010
That girl must have eaten lion pepper soup! Such liver! Such stupidity! So fundamentalism has now reached Yorubaland! Wahala dey!
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tpiah: 6:18pm On Aug 16, 2010
Addressing journalists at the weekend, Zakariyah Giwa, President of the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN), University of Ibadan branch, alleged that the incident was a ploy to “perpetuate religious crisis in Nigeria, starting from the campus of the University of Ibadan”, describing it as unfortunate.

i agree.

e be like say dem send am.

He said Ms Adegunsoye’s action was a clear effrontery, alleging that, for the first time in history, she dressed like a Muslim to detract a jumat service in the month of Ramadan at the time the Chief Imam was leading the prayer.

i agree with the bolded.

the girl is either mad or else being paid to foment religious crisis.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tkb417(m): 6:21pm On Aug 16, 2010
dayokanu:

The student should be expelled. Pure and simple No negotiation.

She was lucky to escape with her life self. if she wants to die, she shouldnt disrupt the academic life of 20,000 students
shey those jihadists no disrupt UJCM prayer sessions when we were in ife?

did it ever become a 'national' issue like this?

abeg joh!

1 Like

Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tpiah: 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^what the girl did is wrong and reprehensible.

no excuse for her.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tkb417(m): 6:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^^ i agree

maybe she was only trying to payback

lmao
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by texazzpete(m): 6:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
While I don't agree with the girl's actions ( in fact, I really hope the girl is expelled), it's ironic that the aggrieved group makes no effort to hide their willingness to go on rampage over the actions of just one misguided fellow.

Ultimately, the girl should be expelled and prosecuted by the relevant law enforcement for attempt to cause a serious public disorder. However, the reactions of the Muslim students is beginning to veer towards the extreme.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by DejiYesufu(m): 6:28pm On Aug 16, 2010
I am a christian and I think I have an insight into the passion in that young lady's heart. I do not support her method but I must confess this may just be beyond the girl. Let me explain:
Jesus said he has not come to bring peace to this world but, in a sense, discord(paraphrase). Check the new testament, anywhere God begins a move it will inevitably spark off riot or discord. My Point is this: the end is near and Hell is real. There is no other way to escape God's wrath than through faith in Jesus Christ. If God has precipated this situation to again wake all of humanity to their dire need of a Christ, So be it.
If it results in religious violence; It is not new. For this reason we are called: as sheeps to the slaughter. Enough of "jeun-jeun" Christianity. Let all be done to let the message known, so we may be innocent of the blood of the Lost.

1 Like

Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tkb417(m): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2010
i hope her prosecution wont be the last cos i know some of us suffered what they are accusing the gurl of doing when we were in the UNI

i just hope she gets prosecuted and hopefully that will bring about more prosecutions for indiscriminate preachings

and pls, what exactly is the offence cos im sure the gurl can still argue her case in court

what did she do? grin grin grin

preaching in front of another religious group abi? just wanna be sure

im waiting for what the Judge will say and what the penalty will be
lolololol
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tkb417(m): 6:32pm On Aug 16, 2010
DejiYesufu:

I am a christian and I think I have an insight into the passion in that young lady's heart. I do not support her method but I must confess this may just be beyond the girl. Let me explain:
Jesus said he has not come to bring peace to this world but, in a sense, discord(paraphrase). Check the new testament, anywhere God begins a move it will inevitably spark off riot or discord. My Point is this: the end is near and Hell is real. There is no other way to escape God's wrath than through faith in Jesus Christ. If God has precipated this situation to again wake all of humanity to their dire need of a Christ, So be it.
If it results in religious violence; It is not new. For this reason we are called: as sheeps to the slaughter. Enough of "jeun-jeun" Christianity. Let all be done to let the message known, so we may be innocent of the blood of the Lost.
C-R-A-P
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tpiah: 6:33pm On Aug 16, 2010
DejiYesufu:

no excuses!

what she did was in very bad taste and she should be brought to order.

stop misquoting the bible.

if you condemn a muslim for this type of behaviour then it doesnt get kosher just because a so-called christian does the same.

the girl most likely has mental issues or else was paid to start trouble.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Aug 16, 2010
By her going to the mosque in the month of Ramadan to say Allah is fake, What are her intentions?
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tkb417(m): 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^^ preach Jesus to them

i asked why would they come to UJCM meeting to preach Allah?

both incidences had same intentions i guess

1 Like

Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by spearman(m): 6:53pm On Aug 16, 2010
This girl was clearly misguided however the MUSLIMS ARE OVERREACTING.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by dayokanu(m): 7:00pm On Aug 16, 2010
tkb417:

^^^ preach Jesus to them

i asked why would they come to UJCM meeting to preach Allah?

both incidences had same intentions i guess

Both instances are wrong and they should both be expelled for disturbance of public peace and acts to provoke/cause unrest
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by tkb417(m): 7:04pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^^ exactly

You just hammered in my point

Unfortunately, the one that happened in Ife never got 'rave reviews' like this so no one got expelled angry angry
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by illusion2: 7:09pm On Aug 16, 2010
She's just an overzealous and poorly enlightened 'christian' very much like OLADEEGBU of NL-Youtube fame,I might add grin.

I hope she gets suspended to teach her a good lesson.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by cold(m): 7:10pm On Aug 16, 2010
Dayum,that girl's action was bang out of order!Still surprised how she wasn't lynched,imagine is this scenario took place in Kano.My christian brothers & sisters shld apply caution,tact & wisdom when preaching the gospel

1 Like

Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by 0hsisi: 7:13pm On Aug 16, 2010
What she did was wrong,pure and simple
To dress up as a Muslim go the mosque to disrupt their service?
She must have a mental problem.
I'm surprised they didn't cut off her head,knowing how violent these Muslims can get
She's lucky to be alive and she'd better watch her back on that campus.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by naijaking1: 7:18pm On Aug 16, 2010
I just don't know why everybody is in a hurry to carry out execution without trial these days.
Guys, just take deep breaths.
The mature thing to say, and which has been said by the VC is that the incident will be fully investigated.
After the incident has been examined by impartial and informed panel, then we'll know for sure what, why, and when it really happened.
As far as I know, the incident could be true as reported, embellished, or even totally false.
Or, the poor girl forgot to take her prozac for that morning, for which she really needs help not punishment.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by AndreUweh(m): 7:18pm On Aug 16, 2010
The christian girl should have gone to the U.I zoo for that crusade. May be she could have evangelised the lions in the U.I zoo as one so called 'Daniel' failed in his efforts to do so in the early 1900's.
Re: Christian Student Disrupts Jumuat Service At UI by eros(m): 7:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
Methinks the girl was probably suffering from a disorder from over-studying for her exams. She is very lucky her act of madness was carried out in U.I. a peaceful school with students who are not easily provoked to violent act. It would have being a different story, if she had done this in Kaduna or Jos.

Bloody overzealous hypocrite angry angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23)

LADIES IF YOU GO TO HELL AFTER READING THIS THEN YOU HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME / Why Christians Should Not Celebrate Easter- Femi Aribisala / The Truth About The Judgement Day You Should Know As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.