Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Christianity: Not A Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity: Not A Religion? (1293 Views)

Evangelist Eucharia Anunobi Says Christianity Not A Religion / Christianity Not A Religion But A Lifestyle: Your Opinion / "CHRISTIANITY NOT FOR NIGERIANS", SAID JESUS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity: Not A Religion? by Kashif(m): 6:38pm On Apr 19, 2007
Nairalanders,

I have been hearing this saying that Christianity is not a religion. I have heard it from grounded, educated christians but they have not been able to make me understand that concept.

Pal, is there anyone who can shed more light on this? I would like to be educated.

Cheers
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:14pm On Jun 26, 2007
A CHRISTIAN ?

The questions are often asked, “Who is a Christian? How do I know a Christian if I meet one? Does Matthew, Luke, or John pass for a Christian? Is everyone who raises up his hand in response to a preacher’s call to repentance a Christian? Does everyone who passes through the church isle to the altar pass for a Christian? Are all those in church pews during church services Christians? Who is a Christian? Finally you may ask, “Am I a Christian?”

A soul winner on evangelism met a drunk drifting down a lane. In his attempt to help him discover the true purpose of living’ he asked, “Are you a Christian?” The answer came quick and sharp “What do you think I am? A Pagan?” This is a pitiful point.

A brilliant preacher full of energy and zeal got the pass mark of his congregation. But his life at home showed a pattern of pride and jealousy found in the fallen angel - Lucifer.

A gifted and talented lady-soloist sings like an angel and prays like a prophet but she talks and acts with thunder and volcano in her voice. Her red-hot temper, contentiousness and confusion are marks of her presence at home or at work. Are these Christians? A ‘Niagara’ of stormy words is an indication of the absence of Christ in the heart.

Being a Christian is not a new label: It is a new life. The word ‘Christian’ first occurred in the New Testament. It was not in the Old Testament. “The disciples were called Christians first in Antioch” (Acts11: 26). From the first use of a word, the true meaning and significance of the word become clear. Disciples were called Christians.

‘Disciple’ is a prominent word in the New Testament. It did not have any place in the Jewish Religion. One of the disciples in Antioch referred to as a Christian was in Jewish religion (Galatians 1:13) before he became a Christian. Living by the Mosiac code of “ordinance, touch not, taste not, handle not,” the ceremonial washing in holy water is ignorance of true discipleship and Christianity. Christianity centres on Jesus Christ - His love, life and light. A Christian therefore is the person who lives the life of Christ as revealed in the New Testament.

The New Testament opens with Jesus Christ who saves from sin (Matthew 1:21) and closes with Jesus Christ, the King who will come quickly - Revelation 22:20. Christ died to make you a Christian. He did not have to die to make you a churchgoer; you can do that on your own. But you cannot overcome sin in your natural human nature. Christ died to suffer for you-through Christ’s merit. If you confess your sins and ask for pardon and grace you will be forgiven. Peace and joy will come into your heart. You will never be the same again. Christ died to make you live - through definite faith in His precious Blood; your heart and life are changed. Christ died to reconcile you to God. Through His meritorious sacrifice, a love relationship is established between you and God. Christ died to give you a new heart and life like His. You can only enjoy a new heart at the expense of another.

The Christian life radiates the beauty of Christ’s lifestyle - humility, obedience, love, integrity and newness of life. Check up if you are a Christian. If not, why not? “Be not deceived: God is not mocked: For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7). Remember that “not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven.”

You can decide to confess your sins to God today and repent - make a wholehearted change of life. Ask for pardon from God in the Name of Jesus, the only one Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5). Believe God for His mercy. Changed and transformed, begin to live a Christian life.

1. Pray everyday especially before you go out in the morning and before you sleep in the evening.
2. Read the Bible everyday especially in the morning before you begin the day and before you sleep in the evening.
3. Fellowship with Bible-believing Christians.
4. Be conscious of the presence of Jesus EVERY TIME; therefore, do not do whatever will displease Him.
5. Send for more tracts to give to your friends as you share your testimonies with them.

Your spiritual welfare is our concern. For more help write or contact:
DEEPER CHRISTIAN LIFE MINISTRY Visit: www.dclm.org
Email: infoinfo@deeperlifeonline.org
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by KAG: 10:50pm On Jun 26, 2007
Kashif:

Nairalanders,

I have been hearing this saying that Christianity is not a religion. I have heard it from grounded, educated christians but they have not been able to make me understand that concept.

Pal, is there anyone who can shed more light on this? I would like to be educated.

Cheers

It's a religion; however, there are Christians who, in their zeal to express how special they find Christianity, resort to absurd convoluted utterances and illogical claims.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Aproko(f): 11:36am On Jun 27, 2007
Kashif:

Nairalanders,

Cheers

in my own understaning, the first time the word 'christain' was mentioned in the bible was in reference to the jesus disciples. this was because their behaviour was similar to that of jesus christ.

so ideally, it should not be a religion in the sense of the word, but a way of life modelled after that of jesus christ.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by KAG: 8:14pm On Jun 28, 2007
Aproko:

in my own understaning, the first time the word 'christain' was mentioned in the bible was in reference to the jesus disciples. this was because their behaviour was similar to that of jesus christ.

so ideally, it should not be a religion in the sense of the word, but a way of life modelled after that of jesus christ.

That means, using your line of reasoning, that Zorostrianism, Manichaeism and Buddhism aren't religions either. Strange.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Aproko(f): 10:51am On Jun 29, 2007
KAG:

That means, using your line of reasoning, that Zorostrianism, Manichaeism and Buddhism aren't religions either. Strange.

what is strange to me is how religion came into existence and why it has become what it is today!
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by stimulus(m): 1:13pm On Jun 29, 2007
It all depends on who is defining what. Christianity is both a relationship and a religion depending on the context one uses either terms. What is central to this discussion is that Christianity is a different kind of relationship from what is usually offered in other faiths.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by ricadelide(m): 3:04pm On Jun 29, 2007
just a few scriptures;

Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority. But we all, looking on the glory of the Lord, with unveiled face, are transformed according to the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Lord the Spirit. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

(Gal. 6;15, 2Cor 5;17, Col 3;16-17, Col 3;9-10, 2Co 3;18, Col 3;3-4) Make your inferences.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by damoche07(m): 3:18pm On Jun 29, 2007
OLADEEGBU,ur answer to the question is total.Nothing more,nothing less.Thanks and dont lets leave this website for the devil's kid.Lets develop posts that can benefit thier souls.We have to get more innovative.The websites influence is large.Thanks.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by KAG: 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2007
Aproko:

what is strange to me is how religion came into existence and why it has become what it is today!

I guess it does border on strange.

stimulus:

It all depends on who is defining what. Christianity is both a relationship and a religion depending on the context one uses either terms. What is central to this discussion is that Christianity is a different kind of relationship from what is usually offered in other faiths.

Like, for example, Sikhism.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Jen33(m): 5:02pm On Jul 01, 2007
If we had been invaded and colonised by the Chinese, you brainwashed slaves would be here today singing the praises of the BUDDHA.

Nothing else would come close in your minds as to where lies ''the truth''.

Jesus, in your eyes would be a repulsive heathen.

But because we were ''lucky'' enough to have been invaded and enslaved by Europeans, we ''luckily'' discovered ''Christ'' whom we now worship with a zeal that surpasses that of the original founders.

OUR IGNORANCE AS AFRICANS NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME.

Keep worshipping your slavemaster's invention called ''Jesus'' while the rest of the globe laughs at your extreme foolishness and stupidity.

http://www.africawithin.com/asante/africangods.html
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by ricadelide(m): 6:29pm On Jul 01, 2007
what is amazing is that so many people accuse every other person of a viewpoint different than theirs as being ignorant.
Little wonder though because we humans are always 'wise in our own eyes'.

It has been extensively discussed on this forum that Jesus was NOT European, neither were the europeans the inventors nor the pioneers of the gospel message. the europeans were just fortunate to have heard the gospel earlier and brought it to Africa (and not just Africa but other places as well); the reverse takes place now and many Africans take the message of the gospel to Europe and pastor european congregations.
the same trend ie christianity, takes place in Asia (eg south Korea) and south America. so go ahead and accuse them of worshipping the 'slavemaster's invention' as well.
there are africans that are buddists. they were not colonized by chinese. being chinese is not synonymous with being a buddist, approx 10% of chinese are christians (catholics and protestants included). they were not colonized by europeans.
So much for your enlightenment if you can't research nor acknowlege basic facts.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by kolaoloye(m): 3:53pm On May 05, 2008
Christian was derived from the name CHRIST.Christ means the way and life.
A Christian is person that follows the THE WAY in Christ in other words
Christianity is a way of life not a religion
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Frizy(m): 5:18pm On May 05, 2008
Yes. It is among one of the two basic religions. The Isl'am and Kufr. smiley
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Lady2(f): 5:31pm On May 05, 2008
OUR IGNORANCE AS AFRICANS NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME

However your ignorance of Christianity and the history of it doesn't amaze me. A lot of people are ignorant of the fact I will list below

It has been extensively discussed on this forum that Jesus was NOT European, neither were the europeans the inventors nor the pioneers of the gospel message. the europeans were just fortunate to have heard the gospel earlier and brought it to Africa (and not just Africa but other places as well); the reverse takes place now and many Africans take the message of the gospel to Europe and pastor european congregations.
the same trend ie christianity, takes place in Asia (eg south Korea) and south America. so go ahead and accuse them of worshipping the 'slavemaster's invention' as well.

Christianity was not brought to Africa by europeans. There were christians in the North and most especially in Ethiopia (it is even in the Bible)

Yes. It is among one of the two basic religions. The Isl'am and Kufr.

Why doesn't your stupidity amaze? If I ask you questions about Is'lam they will delete them and no I'm not talking about quoting the Qu'ran and finding faults in it, which I have found while reading it, but questions that will definitely get you to quesstion your faith and think outside of the box. I will also ask you questions that you will provide answers to that contradict each other.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by cgift(m): 7:55pm On May 05, 2008
~Lady~:

If I ask you questions about Is'lam they will delete them and no I'm not talking about quoting the Qu'ran and finding faults in it, which I have found while reading it, but questions that will definitely get you to quesstion your faith and think outside of the box. I will also ask you questions that you will provide answers to that contradict each other.

The above is the trademark of the quran now! Everybody sabi am! They usually hide behind their fingers and use diversionary tactics to shift the topic under discourse. Na today? Apart from the contradictions inherent and ubiquitous, the absurdities are colossal and embarrasing to the intellect grin

Dont divert this thread o! Stick to the topic grin
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 05, 2008
What is religion in the first place?

"1. set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. " - www.dictionary.com

Many are confused about christianity and they say it's a religion. The fact is this: christianity is not a religion! Christianity is a title that was used to describe disciples of Christ. However except a man is born again he/she may never understand what christianity really is. Such a person would only see christianity from the spectacle of world views on religion.

Ignorant people feel that Europeans brought christianitya and therefore christianity is their traditional religion. However slave masters are different from missionaries. Slave masters forced you to obey them. Missionaries preached Christ and whoever is touched of God joined them. Many missionaries even died in the process. One more point Christianity is not a european thing and many europeans are not christians ( if you have or you live in europe you can bear witness)

Therefore if the poster wants to understand christianity he/she must be born again " spiritual things are foolishness to the carnal man"
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by Frizy(m): 1:29pm On May 06, 2008
~Lady~:

Why doesn't your stupidity amaze? If I ask you questions about Is'lam they will delete them and no I'm not talking about quoting the Qu'ran and finding faults in it, which I have found while reading it, but questions that will definitely get you to quesstion your faith and think outside of the box. I will also ask you questions that you will provide answers to that contradict each other.

There are no contradiction in the words of All'ah- the Great Book, nor in the Messenger-Muhamma'd. I may assume there is a contradiction to you because you don't understand a jark out of it!Where are the contradictions? Am waiting.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by PastorAIO: 12:58pm On May 07, 2008
My understanding of the word Religion is that it is derived from the Latin Re - Ligere. Ligere is to bind and re ligere is to rebind, or bind back. This suggests that there is something that is fractured or separated and needs to be joined together again. For instance a man relationship to his God. Religion is therefore the practice of bringing about a reconnection, a reconciliation.

To the extent that any practice fails to do this, be it christianity, islam, buddhism, sikhism, then that practice is not a religion.

Also the word Disciple is derived from Discipline. A disciple is someone that is undergoing a discipline. Disciplines are practiced daily and continuously over the period of discipleship. discipline suggests to me a certain amount of rigor and effort. Discipleship therefore does not end with just accepting Jesus as your personal saviour etc etc. That's just the first step. Then there is a path to walk after that. The purpose of that Discipline is Religion.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by cgift(m): 2:51pm On May 07, 2008
Pastor AIO:

My understanding of the word Religion is that it is derived from the Latin Re - Ligere. Ligere is to bind and re ligere is to rebind, or bind back. This suggests that there is something that is fractured or separated and needs to be joined together again. For instance a man relationship to his God. Religion is therefore the practice of bringing about a reconnection, a reconciliation.

To the extent that any practice fails to do this, be it christianity, the great religion, buddhism, sikhism, then that practice is not a religion.

Also the word Disciple is derived from Discipline. A disciple is someone that is undergoing a discipline. Disciplines are practiced daily and continuously over the period of discipleship. discipline suggests to me a certain amount of rigor and effort. Discipleship therefore does not end with just accepting Jesus as your personal saviour etc etc. That's just the first step. Then there is a path to walk after that. The purpose of that Discipline is Religion.

Pastor AIO, where did you study your own theology? grin
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by PastorAIO: 3:11pm On May 07, 2008
cgift:

Pastor AIO, where did you study your own theology? grin

It's an ongoing process. I am studying even now as we speak. However my argument is not really theological. It is based on the meaning and etymology of the terms we are using which is in fact the topic of this conversation, is it not?

the point I was making with the discipleship statement above is that it is an ongoing process. First you are redeemed and then you have to 'Go and sin no more'. This is the discipleship part, walking in christ. It is a discipline. And Backsliding is a reality. So when one is risen in christ the next step is to grow in christ, to be nourished in christ, and ultimately to bear fruit in Christ.

Does this make me an apostate, or an heretic? God forgive me if my words are untrue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by cgift(m): 3:27pm On May 07, 2008
Pastor AIO:

Does this make me an apostate, or an heretic? God forgive me if my words are untrue.

did you say heretic? i no sabi o. I no be catholic pope to dey label someone as heretic anathema (grammar!) grin.
Re: Christianity: Not A Religion? by bolataiwo(m): 3:45pm On May 07, 2008
Christianity is never a religion but a way of christ

(1) (Reply)

No Pre-trib Rapture ! / A Jehovah's Witness Rape 11 Women / Muslims Are More Religious Than Christian FACTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.