Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,638 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? (5256 Views)

Ruling On One Who Reads Qur’aan But Does Not Pray / Completing The Qur’aan In Ramadaan / Who Wrote The Qur’aan And How Was It Put Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:51pm On Jan 24, 2019
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Allah, may He be exalted, has commanded the believers to listen to the Qur’aan attentively, in a general command. He says (interpretation of the meaning): “So, when the Qur’aan is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy” [al-A‘raaf 7:204].

Shaykh al-Sa‘di (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

This command is general and includes everyone who hears the Book of Allah being recited. He is enjoined to listen to it and keep quiet. The difference between listening and keeping quiet is that keeping quiet is done outwardly by not speaking or being distracted with anything that would keep one from focusing on listening to it.

As for listening to it, this means that one hears it with an attentive heart, pondering the meaning of what one is listening to. The one who adheres to these two commands when the Book of Allah is recited will attain a great deal of good, beneficial knowledge, ongoing and renewed faith, increased guidance and insight into his religion. Hence Allah connected the attainment of mercy to them, which indicates that the one who does not keep quiet and listen attentively when the Book is recited to him will be deprived of the share of mercy and has missed out on a great deal of good.

The most emphatic command with regard to listening to the Qur’aan attentively has to do with prayers in which Qur’aan is recited out loud by the imam, in which one is enjoined to listen attentively, to such an extent that most of the scholars say that his focusing on keeping quiet and listening attentively takes priority over his reciting al-Faatihah etc.

End quote from Tafseer al-Sa‘di, 314

The greater aim of keeping quiet and listening attentively is so that the listener may ponder and understand the meanings, and act upon them. Imam al-Tabari (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Allah says to those who believe in Him and in His Book, for whom the Qur’aan is guidance and mercy: “So, when the Qur’aan is recited”, to you, O believers; “listen to it”, i.e. lend your ears so that you might understand its verses and learn from its exhortation; “and be silent” and listen to it attentively, so that you might understand and ponder, and do not utter idle talk during it lest you do not understand; “that you may receive mercy” i.e., that you might receive the mercy of your Lord by heeding His exhortation and adhering to His limits and to what He enjoins upon you in the verses.

End quote from Tafseer al-Tabari, 13/244

If a person manages to achieve that, i.e., keeping quiet, listening attentively, pondering what is recited to him and understanding its meanings, that will bring him goodness in this world and the Hereafter.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

By means of this listening, Allah guides His slaves and sets straight their affairs in this world and the Hereafter; with this the Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was sent, and he enjoined it upon the Muhaajireen and Ansaar and those who followed them in truth. The early generations used to gather for this purpose. When the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) gathered together, they would tell one of their number to recite whilst they listened. ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allah be pleased with him) would say to Abu Moosa: Remind us of our Lord, and Abu Moosa would recite Qur’aan whilst they listened.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 11/626

Secondly:

As listening in the complete sense is that in which one understands and ponders, there is no doubt that the one who does that as much is he is able is to be commended for what he does, and he is excused for what he is incapable of. But what one is incapable of should not be an excuse for not doing what one is able to do of goodness. What is possible is not to be omitted because of what is difficult; in other words, whatever a person is able to do of obligatory or mustahabb actions is not waived because of what he is incapable of doing, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can”

[al-Taghaabun 64:16].

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked:

Will a person be rewarded if he reads the Qur’aan, even if he does not understand its meanings?

He replied:

The Holy Qur’aan is blessed, as Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “(This is) a Book (the Qur’aan) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings, that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember” [Saad 38:29]. So man is enjoined to read it, whether he understands its meanings or not. But the believer who is enjoined to act upon it should not read Qur’aan without understanding its meanings. If a person wants to learn medicine, for example, and studies the books of medicine, he cannot benefit from them unless he understands their meanings and they are explained to him; in fact he will be very keen to understand the meanings so that he can apply them. So why do you think anyone should read the Book of Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, which is a healing for what is in the hearts and exhortation to people, without pondering and without understanding its meanings? For this reason the Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) would not move on from ten verses until they had learned them and learned the knowledge they contained and how to act upon it. So they learned the Qur’aan and knowledge and action all together.

A person will be rewarded for reading the Qur’aan whether he understands its meanings or not, but he should be very keen to understand its meanings and to learn these meanings from scholars who are trustworthy in their knowledge. If he has no access to a scholar who can teach him the meanings, he may refer to the trustworthy books of tafseer, such as Tafseer Ibn Jareer, Tafseer Ibn Katheer and others which pay attention to the tafseer that is based on reports narrated from the Sahaabah and the Taabi‘een (may Allah be pleased with them).

End quote from Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb, tape 85, side A.

And Allah knows best.

7 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:38am On Jan 25, 2019
Narrated by Uthman:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "The best among you (Muslims) are those who learn the Qur'an and teach it." Sahih al-Bukhari 5027

Learn it and teach it even to your family and friends!

7 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by firstolalekan(m): 9:51am On Jan 25, 2019
Maybe
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Sawzer(m): 9:53am On Jan 25, 2019
Please go straight to the point, am I rewarded listening to the Qur'an without knowing the meaning, yes or no?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Ogenejude: 9:53am On Jan 25, 2019
Ok
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Herjide(m): 9:55am On Jan 25, 2019
MAASHAA ALLAH
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 9:58am On Jan 25, 2019
Sawzer:
Please go straight to the point, am I rewarded listening to the Qur'an without knowing the meaning, yes or no?
Can't you read??

1 Like

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by javalove(m): 10:01am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Can't you read??

Salam alykun brother. Just answer him and don't be insultive. I haven't read it myself.

He may be non Muslim just wishing to know.

And Allah knows best.

#Javalove...unless otherwise stated...!

7 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:03am On Jan 25, 2019
javalove:

Salam alykun brother. Just answer him and don't be insultive. I haven't read it myself.

He may be non Muslim just wishing to know.

And Allah knows best.

#Javalove...unless otherwise stated...!
Wa Alaykum Salam

How did I insult him?? I asked him a simple question
Its not a crime not knowing how to read

1 Like

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Sawzer(m): 10:06am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Can't you read??

It should have been said earlier in the first paragraph if yes or no, then, the story will continue after.
I can't read all those and, what if I don't even understand?

2 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdurrazaq(m): 10:07am On Jan 25, 2019
As-salaam alaykum wa rahmatuLLAHI wa barakatuHU

The verse (ayah) of the Qur'an is clear enough and need no further epistle to explain (IMO). Mere keeping quiet in honour of the recitation of the Qur'an qualifies the listener for the mercies promised whether he/she understands it or not.

والله أعلم

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:13am On Jan 25, 2019
Sawzer:

It should have been said earlier in the first paragraph if yes or no, then, the story will continue after.
I can't read all those and, what if I don't even understand?
Hah!!
I also asked you a simple Yes or No question and you couldn't answer??

And the issue of you not understanding, that's why I asked you that question

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:15am On Jan 25, 2019
abdurrazaq:
As-salaam alaykum wa rahmatuLLAHI wa barakatuHU

The verse (ayah) of the Qur'an is clear enough and need no further epistle to explain (IMO). Mere keeping quiet in honour of the recitation of the Qur'an qualifies the listener for the mercies promised whether he/she understands it or not.

والله أعلم
may Allah bless you brother

1 Like

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Sawzer(m): 10:26am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Hah!!

Tohr! I cannot read

Honestly, you guys make people run away from religion.
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Gweedorian(m): 10:34am On Jan 25, 2019
Religions are founded on manipulations of flaws of human limited psyche eg Rewards and punishment, battle between good and evil, etc.
If you read a book because of the expected rewards in this life or in the hereafter... you're just a petty shallow gullible creature not a deep spiritual seeker of the Divine.

3 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:36am On Jan 25, 2019
Sawzer:

Tohr! I cannot read

So because you can't read, you now blaming my religion

And moreover how can you use me to judge the billions Muslims around the world??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Sawzer(m): 10:45am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
So because you can't read, you now blaming my religion

And moreover how can you use me to judge the billions Muslims around the world??

For God sake I'm not blaming you nor your religion, don't quote me wrong.
You could have just ignored my post if you can't answer rather than replying me with an offensive question.
Someone answered my question simply without crucifying me, next time do the same or ignore! Don't you know that is one of the things that makes people loose faith in Islam?

I'm a Muslim btw! Peace.

3 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by iPopAlomo(m): 10:46am On Jan 25, 2019
Sawzer:

Tohr! I cannot read

You've said it all... I don't identify myself with these sets of Muslims... Close minded, self righteous hypocrites... All boxed up in one corner thinking they are the only ones fit enough to make heaven...
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:48am On Jan 25, 2019
Sawzer:

For God sake I'm not blaming you nor your religion, don't quote me wrong.
You could have just ignored my post if you can't answer rather than replying me with an offensive question.
Someone answers my question simply without crucifying me, next time do the same or ignore! Don't you know that is one of the things that makes people loose faith in Islam?

I'm a Muslim btw! Peace.
You also asked your own question in an offensive way??

Moreover sorry if I have offended you but for sure, I meant no harm with my question

1 Like

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Sawzer(m): 10:55am On Jan 25, 2019
iPopAlomo:

You've said it all... I don't identify myself with these sets of Muslims... Close minded, self righteous hypocrites... <b>All boxed up in one corner thinking they are the only ones fit enough to make heaven</b>...

You read my mind.
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Trecixnine(m): 11:05am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Hah!!

What is the difficulty you have in answering with a 'yes' or 'no' response as requested?
Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdulazeez1002(m): 11:05am On Jan 25, 2019
Trecixnine:

What is the difficulty you have in answering with a 'yes' or 'no' response as requested?
ok. Yes

2 Likes

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by abdurrazaq(m): 11:37am On Jan 25, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
may Allah bless you brother

امين

1 Like

Re: Will He Be Rewarded For Listening To The Qur’aan Without Understanding It? by Trecixnine(m): 8:52am On Jan 26, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
ok. Yes
Thank you brother.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Manners And Children: 5 Tips / Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) / If The Night Of Friday Coincides With An Odd Numbered Night, Is That Laylat Qodr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.