Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) (5286 Views)

Atheists, Allah is Your Creator. Repent, Bow And Stop Being Like Shaitan / Something You Must Know About Islamic Greetings / Responding To The Greetings Of A Parrot Or Phone Ringing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 5:30pm On Apr 06, 2016
[size=15pt]WORSHIP VS GREETINGS (REVERENCE) [can we kneel or 'prostrate' to greet?][/size]

There is a branch of Tawheed (Unity of Allah) termed "at-Tawheed ibaadih (Unity of worship of Allah)". And in summary, it means "we worship none except Allah".

# What is al-Ibaadat (worship)?

Linguistically, according to Ibn Manzur's Lisanul Arab and other classical Arabic dictionaries, worship is define with three terms:

* الطاعة - Obedience
* التواضع - Humility
* تقديم - Submission

This is literal meaning of "worship". However, this definition with these three terms does not necessarily mean if expressed to other than Allah (e.g to Prophet) that we are worshipping that being. There are several ayat in the noble Quran where Allah command the believers to "Obey, submit and humble" before the holy Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli. {[see. sura Aal-Imran: 132, sura Fathi: 8-9, sura al-Hujurat: 1 etc]}

# Shar'i Definition of Worship

For an act to become "worship" in the Sharia, all the three afore-mentioned acts MUST be preceded with the Niyyat (intention) of believing in the Uluhiyyah (Divinity) and Rubbubiyah (Lordship) of an object. Only Allah deserves this.

Consider the following verse:

* [20:14] Ṭāhā-طهٰ
"‏اِنَّنِیۡۤ اَنَا اللّٰہُ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّاۤ اَنَا فَاعۡبُدۡنِیۡ ۙ وَ اَقِمِ الصَّلٰوۃَ لِذِکۡرِیۡ ﴿۱۴﴾‏

Verily, I am Allah. There is no God other than Me. So worship Me, and establish Prayer for the sake of My remembrance. "

Here, recognition of the Essence, Divinity and Lordship of Allah is first established before "obedience, submission and humility (vis-a-vis worship)".

# STANDING, BOWING, SITTING AND PROSTRATING
Another ayat Sherif states:

* [22:77] Al-Ḥajj-الْحَجّ
"‏یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوا ارۡکَعُوۡا وَ اسۡجُدُوۡا وَ اعۡبُدُوۡا رَبَّکُمۡ وَ افۡعَلُوا الۡخَیۡرَلَعَلَّکُمۡ تُفۡلِحُوۡنَ ﴿ۚٛ۷۷﴾‏

O believers! Bow down and prostrate yourselves (often) and worshipping your Lord, and do (other) pious deeds consistently so that you may prosper. "

Here, Allah ordered certain acts of worship of Him: Ruku'u (bowing) and Sujjud (prostration). And in the verses below, other posture of "worship of Him", STANDING, sitting, are mentioned:

* Sura Al-Muzzammil: 1-2
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الۡمُزَّمِّلُ ۙ﴿۱﴾‏
O mantled (Beloved!) "

"‏قُمِ الَّیۡلَ اِلَّا قَلِیۡلًا ۙ﴿۲﴾‏
Rise and stand (in Prayer) at night but (for) a short while, "

* [3:191] Āl ‘Imrān-آل عِمْرَان
"‏الَّذِیۡنَ یَذۡکُرُوۡنَ اللّٰہَ قِیٰمًا وَّ قُعُوۡدًا وَّ عَلٰی جُنُوۡبِہِمۡ وَ یَتَفَکَّرُوۡنَ فِیۡ خَلۡقِ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ الۡاَرۡضِ ۚ رَبَّنَا مَا خَلَقۡتَ ہٰذَا بَاطِلًا ۚ سُبۡحٰنَکَ فَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ ﴿۱۹۱﴾‏

These are the people who, remembering Allah, remain STANDING (as the epitome of submissiveness), SITTING (as reverence incarnate), and (also keep) changing sides (in discomfort of love) and meditate on the creation of the heavens and the earth..."

# POINTS TO PONDER

After defining "worship" in Shari'i terminology which is not apply to other than Allah, So, the question is can we "stand, bow and prostrate (not worship of Allah now)" to others than Allah?

The word "sujjud (prostration)" could mean "bowing or putting one's forehead to the ground". It is not allowed in the Shari'a to put one's forehead on the ground before anything other than Allah.

In fiqh, before Sujjud (putting one's forehead on the ground) can be valid, SEVEN bones MUST compliment the forehead also. {[see: Taudhihul Masael of Ayatullah al-Khoei, section of Sajdatayn (two prostrations)]}

* Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

The Prophet said, "I have been ordered to prostrate on seven bones i.e. on the forehead along with the tip of the nose and the Prophet pointed towards his nose, both hands, both knees and the toes of both feet and not to gather the clothes or the hair."
Ref: Sahih Bukhari Vol 1, Book 12, No 776

# DID PROPHET CONDEMNED "BOWING AND KNEELING?

* Point 1: If "Standing (Qiyam), sitting", are part of worship of Allah, and there is no condemnation to stand or sit in front of other than Allah, in greeting or reverence, is "bowing" any difference?

* Imam Ibn Majah in his Sunan: Chapter no.11, The chapter on marriage, [vol. 3, book 9, Hadith no: 1853] records:

Narrated: Abdullah bin Abu Awfa:

When Muadh bin Jabal came from Sham, he prostrated (sajadah) to the Prophet (saw) who said: 'What is this, O Muadh?' He said: 'I went to Sham and saw THEM* prostrating their bishops and patricians and I wanted to do that for you.' The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: 'Do not do that. If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone other than Allah, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands. By the one in who hand is the soul of Muhammad! No woman can fulfill her duty towards Allah until she fulfills her duty towards her husband. If he asks her (for intimacy) even if she is on her camel saddle, she should not refuse."

Comment: (The hadith is) Hasan (good).

* The version documented by Imam Hakim and Imam Ahmad which are both authentic revealed Muadh ibn Jabal saw the Christians and Jews prostrating to their Rabbi and Scholars. {[Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal related it with a sound chain of transmission in his Musnad vol. 4, p. 381]}.

QUE: Why did the Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli, forbid Muadh from prostrating to him? Quran clarify:

[9:31] Al-Tawbah-التَّوْبَة
"‏اِتَّخَذُوۡۤا اَحۡبَارَہُمۡ وَ رُہۡبَانَہُمۡ اَرۡبَابًا مِّنۡ دُوۡنِ اللّٰہِ وَ الۡمَسِیۡحَ ابۡنَ مَرۡیَمَ ۚ وَ مَاۤ اُمِرُوۡۤا اِلَّا لِیَعۡبُدُوۡۤا اِلٰـہًا وَّاحِدًا ۚ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ ؕ سُبۡحٰنَہٗ عَمَّا یُشۡرِکُوۡنَ ﴿۳۱﴾‏

They (christians and jews) took their priests and monks for lords besides Allah and (also) the Messiah, the son of Maryam (Mary), whilst in truth they had not been given (any) command except to worship (only) the One God besides Whom there is no God. Holy is He, far above those that they associate with Him as partners. "

What the Christians and Jews did are worshipping in the real sense (prostrating while they recognize their monks and Nabi E'esa as their lords and gods). This is shir'k, absolutely. And it is in this context that Muadh's sajdah (bowing) was forbidden having stated his intention.

# UMAR B. AL-KHATTAB KNELT ON HIS TWO KNEES FOR THE PROPHET

* Point 2: If "kneeling (as part of sujjud)" is part of worship of Allah, and there is no condemnation "to stand, sit" in front of other than Allah, in greeting or reverence, is "kneeling" any difference (if it is not for purpose of worship of Allah)?

Imam al-Bukhari documents: Book 96: Holding Fast to the Qur'an and Sunnah; Chapter: Asking too many questions and troubling with what does not concern one

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet (s) came out after the sun had declined and offered the Zuhr prayer (in congregation). After finishing it with Taslim, he stood on the pulpit and mentioned the Hour and mentioned there would happen great events before it. Then he said, "Whoever wants to ask me any question, may do so, for by Allah, you will not ask me about anything but I will inform you of its answer as long as I am at this place of mine." On this, the Ansar wept violently, and Allah's Messenger (s) kept on saying, "Ask Me! " Then a man got up and asked, ''Where will my entrance be, O Allah's Messenger (s)?" The Prophet (s) said, "(You will go to) the Fire." Then `Abdullah bin Hudhaifa got up and asked, "Who is my father, O Allah's Messenger (s)?" The Prophet (s) replied, "Your father is Hudhaifa." The Prophet (s) then kept on saying (angrily), "Ask me! Ask me!" `Umar THEN KNELT ON HIS KNEES and said, "We have accepted Allah as our Lord and Islam as our religion and Muhammad as an Apostle." Allah's Messenger (s) became quiet when `Umar said that. Then Allah's Messenger (s) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, Paradise and Hell were displayed before me across this wall while I was praying, and I never saw such good and evil as I have seen today."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7294
In-book reference : Book 96, Hadith 25
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 9, Book 92, Hadith 397

If kneeling for a purpose other than worship is haram, Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli, will forbid Umar (immediately or later) for that act.

# ANGELS PROSTRATE FOR NABI ADAM

Sura al-Baqarah: 34, sura al-Kahf: 50 and al-Hijr: 30-33 and many other ayah narrated the creation of Adam and how Allah endowed him with knowledge.

Nabi Adam, alayhi Salam, excelled all the angels (and Iblis, a jinn) in knowledge. And as a mark of respect, Allah ordered the angels to bow down to Adam.

Quran says:

[2:34] Al-Baqarah-الْبَقَرَة
"‏وَ اِذۡ قُلۡنَا لِلۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃِ اسۡجُدُوۡا لِاٰدَمَ فَسَجَدُوۡۤا اِلَّاۤ اِبۡلِیۡسَ ؕ اَبٰی وَ اسۡتَکۡبَرَ ٭۫ وَ کَانَ مِنَ الۡکٰفِرِیۡنَ ﴿۳۴﴾‏

And (also recall) when We commanded the angels: ‘Prostrate yourselves before Adam.’ Then they all prostrated themselves to Adam except Iblis (Satan). He refused and showed arrogance, and (consequently) became one of the disbelievers. "

Here, prostration (to Adam) was never a form of worship but a mark of respect and reverence. Even Iblis recognize this as he stated his reason why he refused to bow down:

[15:33] Al-Ḥijr-الْحِجْر
"‏قَالَ لَمۡ اَکُنۡ لِّاَسۡجُدَ لِبَشَرٍ خَلَقۡتَہٗ مِنۡ صَلۡصَالٍ مِّنۡ حَمَاٍ مَّسۡنُوۡنٍ ﴿۳۳﴾‏

(Iblis) replied: ‘I cannot be the one who should fall down prostrate before a human being You have created from old (and) black stinking, sounding mud.’ "

In another ayah, Iblis says:

"You created me from fire and him (Adam) from clay"

This is why Allah concludes:

"...He refused and showed ARROGANCE, and (consequently) became one of the disbelievers. "

If bowing or prostrating for purpose other than worship of Allah is haram, why would Allah ordered the angels and jinn to do that for Adam?

# SAJDAH WITH NIYYAT OF WORSHIP IS ONLY DUE TO ALLAH

* [22:18] Al-Ḥajj-الْحَجّ
"‏اَلَمۡ تَرَ اَنَّ اللّٰہَ یَسۡجُدُ لَہٗ مَنۡ فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ مَنۡ فِی الۡاَرۡضِ وَ الشَّمۡسُ وَ الۡقَمَرُ وَ النُّجُوۡمُ وَ الۡجِبَالُ وَ الشَّجَرُ وَ الدَّوَآبُّ وَ کَثِیۡرٌ مِّنَ النَّاسِ ؕ وَ کَثِیۡرٌ حَقَّ عَلَیۡہِ الۡعَذَابُ ؕ وَ مَنۡ یُّہِنِ اللّٰہُ فَمَا لَہٗ مِنۡ مُّکۡرِمٍ ؕ اِنَّ اللّٰہَ یَفۡعَلُ مَا یَشَآءُ ﴿ؕٛ۱۸﴾‏

Have you not seen that to Allah bows in prostration (yasjudu) that is in the heavens and in the earth, and the sun, and the moon and the stars, and the mountains, and the vegetable as well as the animal kingdoms and many of mankind (too)? But there are still many (human beings) for whom the torment has been proved (due to their disbelief and polytheism). And he whom Allah dishonours none can bring him honour. Indeed, Allah does what He wills. "

Observe the ayah when it says "...and many of mankind (too)". Obviously the mushriqun (polytheists, and disbelievers from among the Jews and christians) too prostrate before what they consider as their lords and gods. Allah never accept this, hence He limited it by saying "...and many of mankind (too)" not all mankind.

In short, for any act of worship, greetings or reverence to be considered "ibaadat" in Shari definition, the divinity and lordship of the object or being must be established.

# COMMON KNOWLEDGE AND INTENTION AS PER CULTURAL GREETINGS

Form of greetings and reverence varies in different cultural background. It is a custom of the Chinese, for example, when two people meet (men or women, young or old), both bow their heads slightly for each other in greetings.

In Yoruba culture, female usually kneel for her elders while male bow or prostrate (with his hands ONLY touching the ground).

None of the adherents of these culture EVER consider these acts as worship of each other by recognizing the Divinity or Lordship of each other, or their elders. And there seven bones never touches the ground altogether.
So why would these acts (bowing, kneeling) be consider haram?

Peace be upon Muhammad and his progeny.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Empiree: 11:36pm On Apr 06, 2016
AlBaqir:

* Imam Ibn Majah in his Sunan: Chapter no.11, The chapter on marriage, [vol. 3, book 9, Hadith no: 1853] records:

Narrated: Abdullah bin Abu Awfa:

When Muadh bin Jabal came from Sham, he prostrated (sajadah) to the Prophet (saw) who said: 'What is this, O Muadh?' He said: 'I went to Sham and saw THEM* prostrating their bishops and patricians and I wanted to do that for you.' The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: 'Do not do that. If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone other than Allah, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands. By the one in who hand is the soul of Muhammad! No woman can fulfill her duty towards Allah until she fulfills her duty towards her husband. If he asks her (for intimacy) even if she is on her camel saddle, she should not refuse."

Comment: (The hadith is) Hasan (good).

* The version documented by Imam Hakim and Imam Ahmad which are both authentic revealed Muadh ibn Jabal saw the Christians and Jews prostrating to their Rabbi and Scholars. {[Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal related it with a sound chain of transmission in his Musnad vol. 4, p. 381]}.

QUE: Why did the Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli, forbid Muadh from prostrating to him? Quran clarify:

[9:31] Al-Tawbah-التَّوْبَة
"‏اِتَّخَذُوۡۤا اَحۡبَارَہُمۡ وَ رُہۡبَانَہُمۡ اَرۡبَابًا مِّنۡ دُوۡنِ اللّٰہِ وَ الۡمَسِیۡحَ ابۡنَ مَرۡیَمَ ۚ وَ مَاۤ اُمِرُوۡۤا اِلَّا لِیَعۡبُدُوۡۤا اِلٰـہًا وَّاحِدًا ۚ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ ؕ سُبۡحٰنَہٗ عَمَّا یُشۡرِکُوۡنَ ﴿۳۱﴾‏

They (christians and jews) took their priests and monks for lords besides Allah and (also) the Messiah, the son of Maryam (Mary), whilst in truth they had not been given (any) command except to worship (only) the One God besides Whom there is no God. Holy is He, far above those that they associate with Him as partners. "

What the Christians and Jews did are worshipping in the real sense (prostrating while they recognize their monks and Nabi E'esa as their lords and gods). This is shir'k, absolutely. And it is in this context that Muadh's sajdah (bowing) was forbidden having stated his intention.

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Empiree: 11:41pm On Apr 06, 2016
AlBaqir:

# UMAR B. AL-KHATTAB KNELT ON HIS TWO KNEES FOR THE PROPHET

* Point 2: If "kneeling (as part of sujjud)" is part of worship of Allah, and there is no condemnation "to stand, sit" in front of other than Allah, in greeting or reverence, is "kneeling" any difference (if it is not for purpose of worship of Allah)?

Imam al-Bukhari documents: Book 96: Holding Fast to the Qur'an and Sunnah; Chapter: Asking too many questions and troubling with what does not concern one

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet (s) came out after the sun had declined and offered the Zuhr prayer (in congregation). After finishing it with Taslim, he stood on the pulpit and mentioned the Hour and mentioned there would happen great events before it. Then he said, "Whoever wants to ask me any question, may do so, for by Allah, you will not ask me about anything but I will inform you of its answer as long as I am at this place of mine." On this, the Ansar wept violently, and Allah's Messenger (s) kept on saying, "Ask Me! " Then a man got up and asked, ''Where will my entrance be, O Allah's Messenger (s)?" The Prophet (s) said, "(You will go to) the Fire." Then `Abdullah bin Hudhaifa got up and asked, "Who is my father, O Allah's Messenger (s)?" The Prophet (s) replied, "Your father is Hudhaifa." The Prophet (s) then kept on saying (angrily), "Ask me! Ask me!" `Umar THEN KNELT ON HIS KNEES and said, "We have accepted Allah as our Lord and Islam as our religion and Muhammad as an Apostle." Allah's Messenger (s) became quiet when `Umar said that. Then Allah's Messenger (s) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, Paradise and Hell were displayed before me across this wall while I was praying, and I never saw such good and evil as I have seen today."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7294
In-book reference : Book 96, Hadith 25
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 9, Book 92, Hadith 397

If kneeling for a purpose other than worship is haram, Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli, will forbid Umar (immediately or later) for that act.

Jazaka Allahu Khayran

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Empiree: 11:47pm On Apr 06, 2016
AlBaqir:

# COMMON KNOWLEDGE AND INTENTION AS PER CULTURAL GREETINGS

Form of greetings and reverence varies in different cultural background. It is a custom of the Chinese, for example, when two people meet (men or women, young or old), both bow their heads slightly for each other in greetings.

In Yoruba culture, female usually kneel for her elders while male bow or prostrate (with his hands ONLY touching the ground).

None of the adherents of these culture EVER consider these acts as worship of each other by recognizing the Divinity or Lordship of each other, or their elders. And there seven bones never touches the ground altogether.
So why would these acts (bowing, kneeling) be consider haram?

Peace be upon Muhammad and his progeny.

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by kazlaw2000: 8:34am On Apr 07, 2016
Na why I dey gbadun 'albaqir' be this. This is a very good and decisive counter arguement. Im now further reassured.

2 Likes

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 9:04am On Apr 07, 2016
TO STAND UP FROM YOUR SEAT AND GREET PEOPLE OF RESPECT

The following sihahu ahadith (authentic narrations) clearly prove standing up for purpose other than worship of Allah (e.g in greeting and reverence) is not haram.

# Imam Al-Hakim:

The narrations are Saheeh (Authentic) that the Messenger of Allah (saw) USED TO STAND UP AND WELCOME Faatimah and kiss her hand every time she came to him, due to the respect of her mother Khadijah and herself, as it is narrated: Aboo Al-Abbas Muhammad ibn Ya’qoob from Muhammad ibn Ishaq Al-Sanhani from Uthman ibn Umar from Israhil from Maisara ibn Habib from Al Minhal ibn Amr from A'isha Bint Talha from A'isha who said: "I have never seen someone more similar to the Messenger of Allah (saw) in speech and talking than Faatimah. And everytime when she came upon the Messenger of Allah (swt), he used to stand up to welcome her and took her hand and kissed her hand and seated her in his sitting place, and when the Messenger of Allah (saw) went upon her, she used to stand up and welcome him (saw) and took his hand and kissed his hand. She came upon the Messenger of Allah (saw) in his illness in which he died. He welcomed her and kissed her and told her some secret then she cried and he (saw) told her some secret again and she laughed, then I said: I had supposed of this woman excellence over the other women, and now I see that she is laughing right after weeping, so I asked her and she said: 'I will not tell you the secret.' When the Messenger of Allah (saw) died, I asked her again and she said: 'The Messenger of Allah (saw) told me that he is going to die, so I cried and then he told me that I will be the first one among his family who will join him.'

Footnote: Al-Hakim: This Hadeeth is Saheeh (Authentic) based on the criteria of Sheikhayn Bukhari and Muslim collectors of 'Al-Saheeh', because all of it’s narrators are 'Thiqah' (Trustworthy).

Source: Fadhahil Faatimah Al-Zahra of Al-Hakim. Pg. # 35

# Imam Al-Tabarani also documents:

Narrated Alee from Al-Hassan ibn Shawkar from Isma’eel ibn Ja’far from Israhil from Maisara ibn Habib from Al-Minhal ibn Amr from A'isha Bint Talha from A'isha who said:

"I have never seen among the people Allah has created, someone more similar to the Messenger of Allah (saw) in religion and sitting and walking than Faatimah and every time when the Messenger of Allah (saw) went upon her, she used to stand up and welcome him (saw) and took his hand and kissed his hand and seated him in her sitting place. And everytime when she came upon the Messenger of Allah (saw), he used to stand up to welcome her and took her hand and kissed her hand and seated her in his sitting place. Once she came upon the Messenger of Allah (saw) in his house, he told her some secret then she cried and he (saw) told her some secret again and she laughed, A'isha said: Then I said to the other women: "I had supposed of this woman excellence over the other women, and now I see that she is laughing right after weeping", so I asked her: "What did the Messenger of Allah (saw) tell you?" And she did not reveal it. When the Messenger of Allah (saw) died, I asked her again and she said: 'The Messenger of Allah (saw) told me that he is going to die in that illness, so I became restless and cried and then he told me that I will be the first one among his family who will join him, and I became happy because of that and laughed.'

Source: Mohjam Al-Awsat of Al-Tabarani. Vol. 4, Pg. # 242

# Allamah Al-Albani:

Narrated Muhammad ibn Bashar from Uthman ibn Umar from Israeel from Maysara ibn Habib from Al-Menhal ibn Amr from A'isha daughter of Talha from A'isha who said:

"I have not seen anyone resembling Allah’s Messenger (saw) more closely than Faatimah daughter of Allah’s Messenger (saw) in habits, gait and characteristics, and in her getting up and her sitting down. When she came to the Prophet (saw) he would STAND UP for her kiss her and make her sit in his place. And when he visited her, she stood up from her seat, kissed him and gave him her place to sit down. When he was taken ill, she came to him, fell down on him, and kissed him. Then she raised her head and wept. Again, she fell down on him, and raised her head and laughed. I said (to myself). “I had thought that she was the most intelligent of women, but, after all, she is a woman.” When the Prophet (saw) died, I said to her, ‘What do you say when you fell down on the Prophet (saw) and raised your head (afterwards), you wept. Then again, you tell down, raised your head and laughed, what made you do that?” She said, “While he was alive, I had kept this secret. He informed me that he would die from that illness, so I wept. Then he informed me that I would be the first of his family to meet him. So at that time, I laughed."

Al-Albani: It is Saheeh (Authentic)

Source: Saheeh Sunan Al-Tirmidhi. Vol. 3, Pg. # 570 - 571 [Annotator: Nasir deen al-Albani]

Albani also document same hadith in: Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Pg. # 355 - 356, H. # 947 / 725

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Empiree: 9:41pm On Apr 08, 2016
Just Came Across This While Looking For Another Hadith. It Might Be Relevant With Respect To Greeting.

Volume 5, Book 58, Number 148:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Some people (i.e. the Jews of Bani bin Quraiza) agreed to accept the verdict of Sad bin Muadh so the Prophet sent for him (i.e. Sad bin Muadh). He came riding a donkey, and when he approached the Mosque, the Prophet said, "Get up for the best amongst you." or said, "Get up for your chief." Then the Prophet said, "O Sad! These people have agreed to accept your verdict." Sad said, "I judge that their warriors should be killed and their children and women should be taken as captives." The Prophet said, "You have given a judgment similar to Allah's Judgment (or the King's judgment)."

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 10:11pm On Apr 08, 2016
Empiree:
Just Came Across This While Looking For Another Hadith. It Might Be Relevant With Respect To Greeting.

Volume 5, Book 58, Number 148:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Some people (i.e. the Jews of Bani bin Quraiza) agreed to accept the verdict of Sad bin Muadh so the Prophet sent for him (i.e. Sad bin Muadh). He came riding a donkey, and when he approached the Mosque, the Prophet said, "Get up for the best amongst you." or said, "Get up for your chief." Then the Prophet said, "O Sad! These people have agreed to accept your verdict." Sad said, "I judge that their warriors should be killed and their children and women should be taken as captives." The Prophet said, "You have given a judgment similar to Allah's Judgment (or the King's judgment)."

Ma sha Allah akhi. That's standing ovation just like the angels were commanded to bow for Adam in recognition of his knowledge. It is not in usual Arabian culture to knee or prostrate to greet. They usually stand up, kiss the hands or cheek etc. And you will also see child kissing the feet of his mother.

5 Likes

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 09, 2016
Albaqir have you come across this hadith? Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) says that a man asked the Prophet (Salla llaahu ‘alayhi wasallam): “O Messenger of Allah(Salla llaahu ‘alayhi wasallam)! When any one of us meets a Muslim brother or a friend then should he bow his head (as a sign of courtesy to him)?’ [size=20pt]He said: ‘No.[/size]’ The man said: ‘Should he embrace him?’ He said: ‘No.’ The man then asked: ‘Should he clasp his hands?’ He said: ‘Yes."(Tirmithi).

5 Likes

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 8:15am On Apr 09, 2016
lexiconkabir:
Albaqir have you come across this hadith? Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) says that a man asked the Prophet (Salla llaahu ‘alayhi wasallam): “O Messenger of Allah(Salla llaahu ‘alayhi wasallam)! When any one of us meets a Muslim brother or a friend then should he bow his head (as a sign of courtesy to him)? [size=20pt]He said: ‘No.[/size]’ The man said: ‘Should he embrace him?’ He said: ‘No.’ The man then asked: ‘Should he clasp his hands?’ He said: ‘Yes."(Tirmithi).

First, sorry I have to cancel out the interpolation.

Second, what is the grading of the hadith to start with? Mind quoting the full reference?!

Third, who was that man and under what context did he ask his question?
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 09, 2016
@AlBaqir, it was Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2728; he said it is a hasan hadeeth. Also narrated by Ibn Maajah. 3702. The hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in al- Silsilah al-Saheehah, 160

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 9:37am On Apr 09, 2016
lexiconkabir:
@AlBaqir, it was Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2728; he said it is a hasan hadeeth. Also narrated by Ibn Maajah. 3702. The hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in al- Silsilah al-Saheehah, 160

Just like I ask: Under what condition did the Prophet said "NO". Imagine the hadith even said "NO to brothers embracing themselves". That's something!

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 09, 2016
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 10:19am On Apr 09, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Unfortunately both sources are DA'IF so the hadith is useless.

http://sunnah.com/tirmidhi/42

http://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/33

1 Share

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 10:49am On Oct 24, 2016
KISSING FEET IN GREETING

Chapter: Regarding kissing the feet

(162)

باب قُبْلَةِ الرِّجْلِ

Narrated al-Wazi' ibn Zari':

Umm Aban, daughter of al-Wazi' ibn Zari', quoting his grandfather, who was a member of the deputation of AbdulQays, said: When we came to Medina, we raced to be first to dismount and kiss the hand and foot of the Messenger of Allah (s). But al-Mundhir al-Ashajj waited until he came to the bundle of his clothes. He put on his two garments and then he went to the Prophet (s).

He said to him: You have two characteristics which Allah likes: gentleness and deliberation.

He asked: Have I acquired them or has Allah has created (them) my nature? He replied: No, Allah has created (them) in your nature.

He then said: Praise be to Allah Who has created in my nature two characteristics which Allah and His Apostle like.

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عِيسَى بْنِ الطَّبَّاعِ، حَدَّثَنَا مَطَرُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ الأَعْنَقُ، حَدَّثَتْنِي أُمُّ أَبَانَ بِنْتُ الْوَازِعِ بْنِ زَارِعٍ، عَنْ جَدِّهَا، زَارِعٍ وَكَانَ فِي وَفْدِ عَبْدِ الْقَيْسِ قَالَ لَمَّا قَدِمْنَا الْمَدِينَةَ فَجَعَلْنَا نَتَبَادَرُ مِنْ رَوَاحِلِنَا فَنُقَبِّلُ يَدَ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَرِجْلَهُ - قَالَ - وَانْتَظَرَ الْمُنْذِرُ الأَشَجُّ حَتَّى أَتَى عَيْبَتَهُ فَلَبِسَ ثَوْبَيْهِ ثُمَّ أَتَى النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ لَهُ ‏"‏ إِنَّ فِيكَ خَلَّتَيْنِ يُحِبُّهُمَا اللَّهُ الْحِلْمُ وَالأَنَاةُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَنَا أَتَخَلَّقُ بِهِمَا أَمِ اللَّهُ جَبَلَنِي عَلَيْهِمَا قَالَ ‏"‏ بَلِ اللَّهُ جَبَلَكَ عَلَيْهِمَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي جَبَلَنِي عَلَى خَلَّتَيْنِ يُحِبُّهُمَا اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ ‏.‏

حسن دون ذكر الرجلين (الألباني) حكم :

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 5225
In-book reference : Book 43, Hadith 453
English translation : Book 42, Hadith 5206
http://www.sunnah.com/abudawud/43

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by President99: 10:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
Empiree:

Jazaka Allahu Khayran
The salafists wont lke this thread.
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by President99: 10:19pm On Oct 31, 2016
AlBaqir:

Just like I ask: Under what condition did the Prophet said "NO". Imagine the hadith even said "NO to brothers embracing themselves". That's something!
Salam, U v done a great job here brother. Jazakallahu Khaira!!
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Demmzy15(m): 1:45pm On Nov 01, 2016
^^^^^ grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 02, 2016
A thing of surprise seeing a 'shia' quoting from kitab wa sunnah, after making TAKFEER of majority of the sahabas except like 4 of dem. Bringing references frm google, from sites that are not ULAMAlly proven to be reliable!! Google is a market o, type 'I want to be stupid' on google, there will be answers for you. Saying LexiconKB's sources are daeef, just bcuz u saw it on a google site/sunnah.com without knowledge. Shias always wanting to opine on matters of deen, ur opinion does not matter, except what Kitab wa sunnah says!!
My point, references are VITAL, for all I care, the person in charge of those sites might even be a yahud or a nasara or even an orientalists. Even from the site, there is no reference of a salaf shaykh there, just annonymous, pathetic!

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 02, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:
A thing of surprise seeing a 'shia' quoting from kitab wa sunnah, after making TAKFEER of majority of the sahabas except like 4 of dem. Bringing references frm google, from sites that are not ULAMAlly proven to be reliable!! Google is a market o, type 'I want to be stupid' on google, there will be answers for you. Saying LexiconKB's sources are daeef, just bcuz u saw it on a google site/sunnah.com without knowledge. Shias always wanting to opine on matters of deen, ur opinion does not matter, except what Kitab wa sunnah says!!
My point, references are VITAL, for all I care, the person in charge of those sites might even be a yahud or a nasara or even an orientalists. Even from the site, there is no reference of a salaf shaykh there, just annonymous, pathetic!

although truly a scholar graded the hadeeth daeef which is what darrussalaam is using, what he(baqir) doesn't understand is, some ahadeeth graded daeef by some scholars were graded sahih and hasan by Albanee after using his method of "shawaheed(i.e supporting narrations in Hadeeth) and it was one thing which was uncontested to by other shuyukh of his time. Shaykhain Ibn Baaz and ibn Uthaymeen even attested to this. While some Hadeeth scholars would only grade the single Hadeeth, Shaykh Al-Albanee would take into account all supporting accounts of the Hadeeth. So some Ahadeeth are authentic due to other texts with the same meaning. This made Al-Albanee's methodology more correct versus other scholars of his day.

example of such hadeeth is the hadeeth of hijab saying hands and face can be left uncovered, the hadeeth was graded daeef by some scholars but graded sahih by Albanee using the method of shawaheed.

2 Likes

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2016
lexiconkabir:

although truly a scholar graded the hadeeth daeef which is what darrussalaam is using, what he(baqir) doesn't understand is, some ahadeeth graded daeef by some scholars were graded sahih and hasan by Albanee after using his method of "shawaheed(i.e supporting narrations in Hadeeth) and it was one thing which was uncontested to by other shuyukh of his time. Shaykhain Ibn Baaz and ibn Uthaymeen even attested to this. While some Hadeeth scholars would only grade the single Hadeeth, Shaykh Al-Albanee would take into account all supporting accounts of the Hadeeth. So some Ahadeeth are authentic due to other texts with the same meaning. This made Al-Albanee's methodology more correct versus other scholars of his day.

example of such hadeeth is the hadeeth of hijab saying hands and face can be left uncovered, the hadeeth was graded daeef by some scholars but graded sahih by Albanee using the method of shawaheed.

Allaahu musta'an.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2017
# You see our local champions, bunch of nuisance who always use Saudi as the land of Kitab wa Sunnah. They often cry, don't kneel down or prostrate for your elders/parents, it is haram.

Here's the newly appointed Saudi Crown prince greeting his elder. We don't even do up to that before they tagged us kuffar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaq0coZVF8

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by tintingz(m): 5:38pm On Jul 04, 2017
AlBaqir:
# You see our local champions, bunch of nuisance who always use Saudi as the land of Kitab wa Sunnah. They often cry, don't kneel down or prostrate for your elders/parents, it is haram.

Here's the newly appointed Saudi Crown prince greeting his elder. We don't even do up to that before they tagged us kuffar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaq0coZVF8
Lol, you're a savage. grin
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by personal59: 11:57am On Jul 11, 2017
all this u point out are good my brother but I will need scholars I mean tabiheen and tabi-tabiheen explanation on it cos I don't think u are a scholar in Islamic world and u can't pass fatwa regarding Islamic issues and mind u Saudi prince or king whatever is not a deleel when Islamic matter is or are concern....... recently he handshake trump wife does that make it haram? anything he does is between him and Allah we can only condemn it nt to follow it if its against the sunnah

please provide the scholars stand on your topic.....

just like u doing tafsir-li-quran because u understand Arabic language, this is Islam and everybody don't know it all, that's y some scholar specialized on hadith, some tafsir, some fiqh etc so don't use ur interpretation in Islamic matter

the Deen is complete and no new meaning or things can be introduce

thank you

be constructive cos I need to learn

1 Like

Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by personal59: 12:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3913379/greeting-islam-evils-prostration-greeting

I need ur sincere and constructive response on that link
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 1:51pm On Oct 10, 2017
olatex25
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by olatex25(m): 12:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
AlBaqir:
olatex25
Ayakum...
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by RENOWNED2(m): 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
Mtscheeeeeewwww
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by AlBaqir(m): 9:44am On Dec 15, 2017
duduwest:
All I know is semi Allahu-l-moniamidau

I believe you can learn better from this thread.
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by alisheriff: 7:08am On Feb 01, 2018
These people want to use this hadith that Mu‘adh (may Allah be pleased with him) prostrated to the prophet and the Prophet did not call him a Mushrik; they say prostration is ordinary sin and that was why the Prophet just corrected Mu‘adh (may Allah be pleased with him). Sheikh Rabee’ bn Haadee al-Madkhalee (hafidhahullaahu) declared this hadith has da’eef (weak). He said the hadith is weak by isnad (chain of narration) and matn (text). As for isnad: The hadith comes through the way of Qaasim bin A’uf as-Shaybaanee and scholars of hadiths decalred him as da’eef (a weak narrator). Their statements concerning him are: Yahya bn S’ad al-Qataanee – Da’eef Shu’bah – Da’eef Abu Haatim – Mudtaribul hadeeth Nasahee – Da’eef Ibn Hibban – Da’eef Imaam Dhahabee – Mukhtalif fee haalihi Then in another riwayah in Musnad Imaam Ahmad, there is Inqitaah (broken chain) between abee Dhabyaan and Mu’adh which rendered this hadith weak as well. As for matn: Sheikh said it was not established that Mu‘adh (may Allah be pleased with him) travelled to Shaam during the lifetime of the Prophet (Salla llaahu ‘alayhi wasallam). What was established was that he went to Shaam during the time of khilaafah of ‘Umar bn Khattab (radiyallaahu ‘anhu) and he died there as a result of sickness. Then Mu’adh only went to Yemen during the late lifetime of the Prophet (salla llaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) and the Prophet died while he was still there. He then came back during the khilaafah of Abubakr as- Sideeq (radiyallaahu ‘anhu). Then Mu‘adh (may Allah be pleased with him) was among the elders of sahabah and very knowledgeable among them that he could not be ignorant of this aspect of Sharee’ah.
Re: Worship Vs Greetings (can We Bow Or Prostrate For Others Than Allah?) by alisheriff: 7:18am On Feb 01, 2018
if its cleared that mua'dh didn't travel and come back and prostrate before the noble prophet(saaw) then about the ayah in suartul taubah you have pasted the tafasir on it referred to adi who say to the prophet that they do not worship their priest and lord: TAFSEER SURAH TAUBAH CONTINUES
The last time we stopped at ayah 30
AYAH 31
They (Jews and Christians) took their rabbis and their
monks to be their lords besides Allah (by obeying
them in things which they made lawful or unlawful
according to their own desires without being ordered
by Allah), and (they also took as their Lord) Messiah,
son of Maryam (Mary), while they (Jews and
Christians) were commanded [in the Taurat (Torah)
and the Injeel (Gospel)) to worship none but One Ilah
(God - Allah) La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to
be worshipped but He)[]. Praise and glory be to Him,
(far above is He) from having the partners they
associate (with Him)." (At-Tawbah 9:31)
Imam Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Jarir At-Tabari recorded a
Hadith via several chains of narration, from 'Adi bin Hatim
(RA), who became a Christian during the time of Jahiliyya.
When the call of the Messenger of Allah reached his area,
'Adi ran away to Ash-Sham, and his sister and several of his
people were captured. The Messenger of Allah freed his sister
and gave her gifts. So she went to her brother and
encouraged him to become Muslim and to go to the
Messenger of Allah. 'Adi, who was one of the chiefs of his
people (the tribe of Tai') and whose father, Hatim At-Ta’i,
was known for his generosity, went to Al-Madinah. When the
people announced his arrival, 'Adi went to the Messenger of
Allah wearing a silver cross around his neck. The Messenger
of Allah recited this Ayah; They took their rabbis and their
monks to be their lords besides Allah. 'Adi commented, "I
said, ‘They did not worship them.’" The Prophet said, ((Yes
they did. They (rabbis and monks) prohibited the allowed for
them (Christians and Jews) and allowed the prohibited, and
they obeyed them. This is how they worshiped them.)) … They
took their rabbis and their monks to be their lords besides
Allah… that the Christians and Jews obeyed their monks and
rabbis in whatever they allowed or prohibited for
them…" (Tafsir Ibn Kathir (Eng Abridged), First Edition: May
2000], Volume 4, pp. 409-410)
-one day the prophet (SAW) saw a Christian man called Adi
ibn Haatib
-he was invited by his sister, who was already Muslim, to
meet the prophet
-while he was walking towards the prophet, he saw he had a
cross on his neck
-so the prophet recited the ayah of 9:31
When he heard this from the prophet he said we do not
worship our rabbis
-the prophet asked him do not they make halal haram and
haram halal? the man said yes
-then the rasul (SAW) said this is how you worship them
This man had the honesty to admit it
-he was thinking worship is only when you make sajdah to a
piece of stone or wood
-or make dua to these, the prophet will now take him to the
different forms of worship

(1) (2) (Reply)

Honor Killings / The Islamic Etiquettes Of Using The Telephone: The Time Of Calling And Ringing / Truth Vs. Lie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.