Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. (3668 Views)

"Twitter Suspension? I Will Keep That To Myself" - Buhari / Sowore: Falana Tells NBA To Discipline Osinbajo, Other Lawyers In Cabinet / Ganduje: Kingmakers Hire 7 SANs, 17 Other Lawyers To Battle Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by nymphomaniac(m): 5:40pm On Jan 25, 2019
Upon reading the shocking news that president Muhammadu Buhari has suspended the CJN Walter Samuel nkanu onnoghen on the advice of the NJC, I realized that this administration has no regard for the 3rd arm of government.

It is true that we lawyers have our share to blame by not speaking out early enough when he declared national security to be superior to the rule of law as well having kept quiet during this one-sided and loopsided anti-corruption campaign of this administration, but the impunity of Mr president has reached his peak.

It is clearly stated in the constitution the procedure for the removal of the CJN and failure to abide by due process makes such action a nullity.

I urge all lawyers to speak up against this autocratic order and in succession, do the needful by voting in someone who will uphold the sanctity of the rule of law and due process.

#Nymphomaniac

Cc lalasticlala mynd44

7 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Chadas(m): 5:44pm On Jan 25, 2019
So now you're crying foul play... I just hope its not too late for us as a country.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by bskyb(m): 5:46pm On Jan 25, 2019
May God help Nigeria oo. This man has stated that he "forgot" some hundreds of millions in his account.
We have not even bothered to ask how he made so much money? We are not angered by the facts that are available, but we are concerned that he has been suspended.
It is well

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by mrvitalis(m): 5:50pm On Jan 25, 2019
nymphomaniac:
Upon reading the shocking news that president Muhammadu Buhari has suspended the CJN Walter Samuel nkanu onnoghen on the advice of the NJC, I realized that this administration has no regard for the 3rd arm of government.

It is true that we lawyers have our share to blame by not speaking out early enough when he declared national security to be superior to the rule of law as well having kept quiet during this one-sided and loopsided anti-corruption campaign of this administration, but the impunity of Mr president has reached his peak.

It is clearly stated in the constitution the procedure for the removal of the CJN and failure to abide by due process makes such action a nullity.

I urge all lawyers to speak up against this autocratic order and in succession, do the needful by voting in someone who will uphold the sanctity of the rule of law and due process.

#Nymphomaniac
One sided yes.. As long as innocent people are not attacked.. It's all good

If buhari can jail all the corrupt people in pdp that's would be so nice... Pdp would become saints and we vote them in your jail the ones in apc
..a win is a win

NJC recommended this right?

The CJN thinks he can postpone NJC meeting to avoid this

I lawyers are the problem with Nigeria... U would see a case of corruption yet u would be looking to knock it out on technical grounds.

Shame on people like you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by nymphomaniac(m): 5:50pm On Jan 25, 2019
bskyb:
May God help Nigeria oo. This man has stated that he "forgot" some hundreds of millions in his account.
We have not even bothered to ask how he made so much money? We are not angered by the facts that are available, but we are concerned that he has been suspended.
It is well
nobody said he should not be removed if found guilty. Due process wasn't followed is all we are screaming about!!!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by nymphomaniac(m): 5:51pm On Jan 25, 2019
mrvitalis:

If buhari can jail all the corrupt people in pdp that's would be so nice... Pdp would become saints and we vote them in your jail the ones in apc
..a win is a win

I lawyers are the problem with Nigeria... U would see a case of corruption yet u would be looking to knock it out on technical grounds.

Shame on people like you
oga the NJC never recommended anything. Get your facts right. Why was due process screamed when it came to lawal and adeosun's cases?

4 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by mrvitalis(m): 5:52pm On Jan 25, 2019
nymphomaniac:
nobody said he should not be removed if found guilty. Due process wasn't followed is all we are screaming about!!!!!!!!
The NJC recommended this move... What other due process do you need

The same due process lawyers like you have used to let currupt people off the hook? Oga go and sleep

Is he guilty or not

3 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by mrvitalis(m): 5:53pm On Jan 25, 2019
nymphomaniac:
oga the NJC never recommended anything. Get your facts right. Why was due process screamed when it came to lawal and adeosun's cases?

The president said he suspended him on the recommendation of the NJC so who are you to fault the claim do you have any evidence?

4 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by mrvitalis(m): 5:54pm On Jan 25, 2019
nymphomaniac:
The two people resigned right

The ex cjn should just face his case prove he is innocent and take back his post... Is that too hard to ask?

He can ask for accelerated hearing na

If I'm the one that's what I would do

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by fergie001: 5:54pm On Jan 25, 2019
Nymphomaniac,you are wrong.

The NJC never recommended his removal...

The code of conduct tribunal did..
The Code of Conduct tribunal is under the Executive arm of government and not the Judiciary; and its in equal status to the High Court.

There are subsisting orders from a court of higher jurisdiction,the Appeal Court,that have ruled on stay of proceedings.

This is pure illegality and democracy is on trial.....The next few days will unveil the next line of action...but this is a rape of our common intellect.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Kingspin(m): 5:57pm On Jan 25, 2019
Buhari is not In-charge. How many times you will hear it.

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by nymphomaniac(m): 6:03pm On Jan 25, 2019
fergie001:
Nymphomaniac,you are wrong.

The NJC never recommended his removal...

The code of conduct tribunal did..
The Code of Conduct tribunal is under the Executive arm of government and not the Judiciary; and its in equal status to the High Court.

There are subsisting orders from a court of higher jurisdiction,the Appeal Court,that have ruled on stay of proceedings.

This is pure illegality and democracy is on trial.....The next few days will unveil the next line of action...but this is a rape of our common intellect.
I never said the NJC did. It is truly a rape on our common intellect. Let us see what the next few days hold.

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by inforesource: 6:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
Go and tell Robert Clark SAN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Racoon(m): 6:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
"Laws become fragile under the influence of dictators."-Wayne Gerard Trotman

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Parada: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
Buhari must annihilate one side of Nigeria corruption. When PDP gains power maybe in 3020 they will annihilatw the other half.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by mrsage(m): 6:14pm On Jan 25, 2019
This is Nigeria and we have seen signs of unpleasant behaviour from Buhari.

Let us tell ourselves the truth:

1. This action by Buhari sends a wrong signal to every Nigerian.

2. It is not right. The law is clearly written in black and white.

My prediction. Buhari will not win the forthcoming elections. What will happen next i dont know...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by EponOjuku: 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
nymphomaniac:

#Nymphomaniac

Onnogen admitted that he concealed hidden sums which he couldn't account for how he made them.

The noise now is not whether he's innocent or guilty but whether a Chief Justice who is in breach of the law should be in charge of the law.

You see, I don't pity the CJN and the Judiciary. You see the CJN has turned himself into Wike's houseboy and other Judges of lower courts have turned themselves into houseboys to politicians and their respective state Governors.

If you are close to the judiciary, do you know that judges fight themselves to be posted to oil rich states for election petition? Why? Because of bribe.

When they did this same thing to Justice Isa Ayo Salami, Wike was a Minister under Jonathan. Did he utter a single word?

Say what you will, by the time they start investigating the sources of the funds in Onnoghen's account, he'll be fighting to stay out of prison.

Let them go and sort themselves out. When they were collecting dollars, they didn't call us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by mokset123: 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2019
bskyb:
It is well
Young man be smart, buratai was accused of having properties in Dubai, how does an army officer acquire such wealth? he was exonerated and every thing swept under the carpet, babachir lawal is still walking a free man today after the over 200m grass cutting scandal. Look at the timing of the tradermoni and we are talking of vote buying. Look at the likes of tinubu, amechi, oshimole, where did they get their wealth from? Look at the lekki gate scandal we still don't know the truth about it? A president that brings in retired persons in the case of customs, Dss to head them, a government that has not reshuffled its cabinet, what have the likes of ogbonnaya onu, adamu adamu, Solomon dalung contributed.

Please lets tell ourselves the truth

This government is being very selective and is not transparent. If he wants to suspend the CJN let him follow due process. We have to wake up as a nation

3 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by ClassicMG(m): 6:29pm On Jan 25, 2019
bskyb:
It is well
God bless you for this write up

Alas this is Nigeria and everybody be criminal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by ClassicMG(m): 6:31pm On Jan 25, 2019
nymphomaniac:

#Nymphomaniac
yes national security supersede the rule of law, even almighty united state of America will tell you its a matter of national security

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by teufelein(f): 6:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
As a LAWYER the suspension of CJN Onnoghen and the appointment of Tanko Mohammed as Ag CJN is unlawful, illegal and unconstitutional. President Buhari has no powers to suspend the CJN except by an address to the Senate supported by 2/3 members of that chamber as stated in Section 292 of the Constitution 1999. This is not a military dictatorship, ours is a constitutional democracy that does not admit of this insouciant and reckless behaviour of a President who never contributed to the enthronement of democracy in our country in 1999.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by SalamRushdie: 6:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
mrvitalis:

..a win is a win

Shame on people like you

but Buhari is the most corrupt Nigerian ever

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by nkwuocha: 6:35pm On Jan 25, 2019
All your lawyer stories here won't help.Anything to burn the country down is highly appreciated.Nigeria as a country can never stand.
Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by banquetking: 6:40pm On Jan 25, 2019
Buhari has not only flouted the position of the law, he has also in doing this explicitly told Nigerians that he doesn't need their votes to stay in power.

At this point we had better start petitioning foreign authorities to intervene in the forthcoming elections because the way I see it The JIhadist has no intention of vacating that seat come February.

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by CrestMan: 6:52pm On Jan 25, 2019
No wonder Buhari's evil conscience couldn't allow him dress in Ibo attire when he visited the "East Central States" yesterday because he knows the evil suspension that he wants to announce today angry

I know the Senate and the Judiciary will turn the suspension down because it lacks merit. It's a grand plan for rigging 2019 election angry

BMCs/BMOs, I was one of the undecided voters who recently made up his mind not to vote for Buhari. I collected my PVC this afternoon and I have influence to get people under me to follow same path with me! sad

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Born2Breed(f): 6:55pm On Jan 25, 2019
The controversial suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, by President Muhammadu Buhari has continued to elicit mixed reactions.

In removing Mr Onnoghen, Mr Buhari claimed he acted based on a Code of Conduct Tribunal order.

Many Nigerians, however, believe the president has no such powers to remove a CJN from office.

Section 292 of the Nigerian constitution deals with the removal of some public officials including the CJN. The section does not distinguish temporary removal (suspension) from a permanent removal (sack).

Below is the law as reproduced verbatim from the constitution

“A judicial officer shall not be removed from his office or appointment before his age of retirement except in the following circumstances –

Okowa Campaign AD

(a) in the case of –

“Chief Justice of Nigeria, President of the Court of Appeal, Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Chief Judge of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Grand Kadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and President, Customary Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, by the President acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the Senate.”

(ii) Chief Judge of a State, Grand Kadi of a Sharia Court of Appeal or President of a Customary Court of Appeal of a State, by the Governor acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the House of Assembly of the State,

Praying that he be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct;

(b) in any case, other than those to which paragraph (a) of this subsection applies, by the President or, as the case may be, the Governor acting on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council that the judicial officer be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct.

In other words, a sitting CJN can only be removed from office by the president after at least two-thirds majority members of the Senate support such a move. No such matter has been debated in the Senate.

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Fuckuignos(f): 6:56pm On Jan 25, 2019
How about judiciary that is strangulated in Nigeria? Until we begin to call a spade what it is, we wouldn't have a sane society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by Fuckuignos(f): 6:59pm On Jan 25, 2019
The Judiciary allowed itself to be strangulated when they became corrupt ,he should have resigned when his yansh was opened,no nation will take us serious when our CJN is being accused of corruption.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by eagleeye2: 7:02pm On Jan 25, 2019
Forget politics. The president is leading the country to anarchy.

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by shaiyenoni: 7:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
Re: Onnoghen Suspension: I And Other Lawyers Have Lost Faith In Buhari. by eagleeye2: 7:08pm On Jan 25, 2019
Fuckuignos:
The Judiciary allowed itself to be strangulated when they became corrupt ,he should have resigned when his yansh was opened,no nation will take us serious when our CJN is being accused of corruption.
Resigned? So, he should abdicate his sit because of some silly political calculations by APC?
This country is gradually tethering towards anarchy and some people are still hailing the President and APC.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is There No SARS And EFCC In The North? / How Can This Young And Strong Man Be Buhari / This Man Is The Next President Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.