Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,129 members, 7,818,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN (28795 Views)

GOCOP To Buhari: Suspension Of Twitter Major Setback For Businesses / South-South governors react to Buhari’s suspension of CJN, Onnoghen / Dele Momodu On Buhari Suspension Of Onnoghen: 'Our President Has Done It Again' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Peacemaker5128: 7:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
baliyubla:
As long as the Nigerian Judiciary is concerned, nothing happened today.

Buhari is wasting his time if he thinks he will keep the CJN busy in court while he perfects his rigging plan.

The dullard should wait and see Nigerias authentic CJN W. S.N Onnoghen constitute the elections tribunal tomorrow.
he won want to be disgraced like this

1 Like

Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by fredoooooo: 7:33pm On Jan 25, 2019
tinsel:
This is the first time Bubari is acting like a true president. He had learnt his lesson from Saraki's mess.
God bless you ..

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by sonofElElyon: 7:34pm On Jan 25, 2019
Removal of a judge by the president based on recommendation by the judicial council is provided for under the law. NJC gave no such recommendation in the CJN's case. That's the distinction.

helinues:
You can only rant Atiku. You can't do nada about it

Modified: NJC recommended removal of Salami for snubbing former outgoing CJN then.

If you can not provide a link where you condemned that, please don't quote me

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by fredoooooo: 7:34pm On Jan 25, 2019
Una go wail till all of una die grin
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 25, 2019
helinues:

And what about Onnoghen?

Sir Read what u posted!

The CCT has no powers to suspend a Judge..According to the Nigerian Constitution..

1 Like

Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by chocolatelady(f): 7:36pm On Jan 25, 2019
tinsel:
This is the first time Bubari is acting like a true president. He had learnt his lesson from Saraki's mess.
True talk. Tinubu was telling him then to be mindful of whom becomes the senate president and speaker but he was like that he is ok with anybody they elected. Until saraki taught him a lesson he will not forget easily. I like the way he acted very fast on this case and it is becos of the sensitive position as a CJN. Atiku can only rant, he cannot do anything. Infact it baffles me on how he reacts to eveything PMB does as if he will win the election tomorrow. Oh I forgot that PDP is synonymous with corruption. Mtcheeeeeew.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by omonaijiria: 7:42pm On Jan 25, 2019
helinues:

Modified: NJC recommended removal of Salami for snubbing former outgoing CJN then.

On the recommendation of NJC.

Olodo

1 Like

Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by chocolatelady(f): 7:45pm On Jan 25, 2019
omogidi234:

Please digest things before posting. Only NJC can recommend suspension or removal of a judge not CCB or CCT.

The case you are referring to was based on NJC's recommendations but the one at hand was not.
I agree with u that its only NJc that recommends judge sack. In the case of Onnoghen, he is the chairman of NJC , so how do u expect him to be a judge on his case. U can say what of the people under him. But lets be realistic, there is no way they will not be biased in their judgement. For the fact that Onnoghen is their oga throws their judgement as been biased. So PMB acted accordingly.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Lumig: 7:45pm On Jan 25, 2019
tinsel:
Gbam! You nailed it my brother
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by blaise26abj(m): 7:46pm On Jan 25, 2019
Please lawyers in in house, the question is does the code of conduct tribunal have the power to recommend or order the president to suspend the CJN?

Because it seems the Judiciary is as stupid as this country if there are still grey areas regarding the appointment, suspension and sacking of their topmost officers.

To PDP supporters, it is karma all the way. Ayo salamis case was very political, removal of Sanusi etc. Eat this cold meal you lot had cooking

To APC supporters, if the right way to remove the CJN is proven not to have been followed and you still support it nevertheless, the same karma will visit you in the future.

From a nigerian who wants a better nigeria
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by blaise26abj(m): 7:49pm On Jan 25, 2019
chocolatelady:
I agree with u that its only NJc that recommends judge sack. In the case of Onnoghen, he is the chairman of NJC , so how do u expect him to be a judge on his case. U can say what of the people under him. But lets be realistic, there is no way they will not be biased in their judgement. For the fact that Onnoghen is their oga throws their judgement as been biased. So PMB acted accordingly.

If there is a process and it isnt followed, it is abuse of power even if it is for the right reasons. Change the process first then act. This is all shade wrong if it is truly only NJC that can sack a judge.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by omogidi234(m): 7:59pm On Jan 25, 2019
chocolatelady:

You have made a valid point. I know myself that it is dicey that the NJC would recommend him for suspension but what the executive has done is worse.

What they should have done is to keep pursuing the case at CCT. Also, the CCT can not make an order that is beyond its power. The Constitution is the ground norm- like the father in the house, the CCT- like a child, cannot make an order that would conflict with that of the Constitution.

Also, assuming but not conceding that the CCT has those powers, the question I would ask is when was the application to ask him to step aside moved.?

There are a lot of intrigue, I pray this would not cause trouble ahead.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 25, 2019
grin Buhari must go
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by omogidi234(m): 8:02pm On Jan 25, 2019
blaise26abj:
Please lawyers in in house, the question is does the code of conduct tribunal have the power to recommend or order the president to suspend the CJN?

Because it seems the Judiciary is as stupid as this country if there are still grey areas regarding the appointment, suspension and sacking of their topmost officers.

To PDP supporters, it is karma all the way. Ayo salamis case was very political, removal of Sanusi etc. Eat this cold meal you lot had cooking

To APC supporters, if the right way to remove the CJN is proven not to have been followed and you still support it nevertheless, the same karma will visit you in the future.

From a nigerian who wants a better nigeria

The CCT does not have that power oh! Even the Almighty Supreme Court does not have that power.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by kanimike: 8:05pm On Jan 25, 2019
The CJN is clueless and very corrupt for saying that he forgot, in developed world he will not wait for anyone to embarrass him before he resign, and this goes a long way to show the kind of president Atiku will be if at all he is voted into power. Buhari is right for suspending him.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by kilmer: 8:08pm On Jan 25, 2019
helinues:

What you quoted says that Justice Salami was removed on the recommendation of the NJC. Your President has bypassed the NJC. He does not have such powers to remove the CJN without going through the NJC. Get informed please.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by chocolatelady(f): 8:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
Jaypop22:
Cry cry baby. Ntooor!
E pain am
When Jonathan '' removed'' or was ' 'suspended' '
Justice Ayo Salami the then President of Appeal court where were you?
Buhari has dameged your game plan. Dubai arrangements are in shambles. Ntooor!
I think the next to be' 'suspended in that Supreme Court of Corruption is lnjustice Mary Odili the conduit that corrupt politicians use to ferry tonnes bribes to their Lordships.
A currupt judiciary is worst than HIV/Aids and Bokoharam put together!Enough is a enough.
My dear, that Mary Odili na something else ooo. The woman corruption tale no be here oo. Abeg which day will federal government open her case. I think she is the worst judge in that supreme court.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by IDUNMOTA(m): 8:11pm On Jan 25, 2019
nameo:
A full blown constitutional crisis is on our hands in Nigeria now. And with it serious consequences on Nigeria security and very existence.

By the way, as stated by the Premium Times article quoted, the President has no right to remove or even suspend any judge talkless of the CJN
But the thief JUDGED has the right to steal
And sell your rigth to the highest bidders
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Ricky109: 8:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
PoliticsNigeria:
@POLITICSNGR

PDP Presidential Candidate, Atiku Abubakar has reacted to the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Below is the full statement made available to PoliticsNGR:

"The purported suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria by President Muhammadu Buhari, is an anti democratic act which I reject in its entirely and call on Justice Onnoghen and the judiciary to resist with every legal and constitutional means that they can muster.

This brazen dictatorial act is the latest action in the ongoing rape of our nation’s hard earned democracy by those who dined with anti democratic forces, and is symptomatic of the increasing desperation that President Buhari and the cabal pulling the strings have as February 16, 2019 draws near.

The fact that the unlawful suspension of Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen was announced just as it became public knowledge that the CJN was constituting the election petition tribunals is not lost on discerning Nigerians and the international community. This act of desperation is geared towards affecting the outcome of the 2019 Presidential elections. Indeed, it is not just the CJN that has been "suspended", it is the Nigerian Constitution that has been infracted and, in effect, suspended, under the guise of the suspension of the CJN.

The case involving the legality or otherwise of the charges against Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen is in court, as it should be. So far, the judiciary has ruled in Justice Onnoghen’s favour. So, why not allow the court to adjudicate on the matter? What is the pressing urgency?

I want to seize this opportunity to call for unity amongst the judiciary. Do not let the Muhammadu Buhari administration divide you. Do not let this government turn you against yourselves. The judiciary is the last hope of the common man and the defender of our democracy.

I also urge the international community to follow the commendable example of the United States and the United Kingdom by intervening to make those involved in this undemocratic act know that their actions will have consequences. Strong consequences.

And to the Nigerian electorate, I call on you to save your beloved country from dictatorship by voting against President Muhammadu Buhari’s desperate war against the judiciary. Our country is falling apart under the leadership of President Buhari and it is time to stand up for democracy."

https://politicsngr.com/breaking-brazen-dictatorial-act-atiku-reacts-buharis-suspension-cjn/
if you atiku become the president, wot will u do to the improvement electricity knowing fully well that you are the importer of generator into the country?
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by alphaNomega: 8:16pm On Jan 25, 2019
The mods are working overtime this evening... LOL

Anyway Buhari should just swear himself in as president on Monday
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Goke7: 8:19pm On Jan 25, 2019
PDP penchant for supporting corruption is the major reason they may never smell aso rock again. Even if you support corruption, there at times you pretend to be against corruption to improve your public perception and reputation. Pdp has done badly to continue to cry foul when the matters of corruption are in national discourse. As bad as APC and buhari is, they keep improving the public perception that they are fighting corruption even when they are hypocritical.

In the western world they romance corruption wella but you will never see a us or a UK politician speak publicly in favour of corruption! I just pity atiku and pdp. They are sore losers in the modern day Nigeria
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by agrowonder(m): 8:20pm On Jan 25, 2019
Guess some new set of Zombies have been recruited. Shame, the Buharideens are increasing
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by foreshore(m): 8:29pm On Jan 25, 2019
Fuckuignos:
Sir, do you think his suspension isn't justifiable?

Nobody is saying whether he is guilty or not, what we are saying is that the due process to arraign him should be followed. It can be another person tomorrow
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by chocolatelady(f): 8:31pm On Jan 25, 2019
omogidi234:

You have made a valid point. I know myself that it is dicey that the NJC would recommend him for suspension but what the executive has done is worse.

What they should have done is to keep pursuing the case at CCT. Also, the CCT can not make an order that is beyond its power. The Constitution is the ground norm- like the father in the house, the CCT- like a child, cannot make an order that would conflict with that of the Constitution.

Also, assuming but not conceding that the CCT has those powers, the question I would ask is when was the application to ask him to step aside moved.?

To be honest with u, the CJN played into FG hands. Why would u not declare ur foreign account and the rest and u admitted that it was a mistake and forgetfulness. For him to acknowledged that , at least it means that no one framed him up. The best thing for him to do knowing that his position is a sensitive one is to step aside without even waiting for anyone to tell him to do so. How can he claim ignorance of what PMB said that the headache he has fighting corruption is the judiciary. The CJN position is a very sensitive one and no system in the world tolerate a cjn with corruption case hanging on his neck for even a day or allow him to continue his duties. Lets not be setimental here, why didnt he appear at the CCT even if he feels that they dont have the powers to try him or is he above the law. Oh I forgot that his brothers ,the south south governors told him to stay away. It is good for one to apply wisdom in ones dealing with people and that will not make the person a fool. Rather than appearing and defending himself, he went ahead to make a mockery of CCT by hiring up to 50 SANs making it look like he is guity and wanted an escape route. CCT feels that his action was a contempt of their proceedings and recommended his suspension and not removal or sack .My dear, his suspension is very painful but things have to be done right to serve as a deterrent to other judges,
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by chocolatelady(f): 8:33pm On Jan 25, 2019
kilmer:

What you quoted says that Justice Salami was removed on the recommendation of the NJC. Your President has bypassed the NJC. He does not have such powers to remove the CJN without going through the NJC. Get informed please.
And what happens when the CJN is the chairman of the NJC?
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by deking(m): 8:37pm On Jan 25, 2019
omogidi234:

Please read the sections of the constitution being quoted again.

The CCT does have the powers to adjudicate in the matter.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 25, 2019
megrimor:
That man Buhari lacks sense

And Osinbajo came to save face that Buhary does not know what is happening ?

These people worse pass snake.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Ugosample(m): 8:38pm On Jan 25, 2019
tinsel:
True president indeed -\

Nonsense citizen approving dictatorial move
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by deking(m): 8:39pm On Jan 25, 2019
Born2Breed:

The controversial suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, by President Muhammadu Buhari has continued to elicit mixed reactions.

In removing Mr Onnoghen, Mr Buhari claimed he acted based on a Code of Conduct Tribunal order.

Many Nigerians, however, believe the president has no such powers to remove a CJN from office.

Section 292 of the Nigerian constitution deals with the removal of some public officials including the CJN. The section does not distinguish temporary removal (suspension) from a permanent removal (sack).

Below is the law as reproduced verbatim from the constitution

“A judicial officer shall not be removed from his office or appointment before his age of retirement except in the following circumstances –

Okowa Campaign AD

(a) in the case of –

“Chief Justice of Nigeria, President of the Court of Appeal, Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Chief Judge of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Grand Kadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and President, Customary Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, by the President acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the Senate.”

(ii) Chief Judge of a State, Grand Kadi of a Sharia Court of Appeal or President of a Customary Court of Appeal of a State, by the Governor acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the House of Assembly of the State,

Praying that he be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct;

(b) in any case, other than those to which paragraph (a) of this subsection applies, by the President or, as the case may be, the Governor [/i]acting on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council that the judicial officer be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) [i]or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct.

In other words, a sitting CJN can only be removed from office by the president after at least two-thirds majority members of the Senate support such a move. No such matter has been debated in the Senate.
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Ugosample(m): 8:45pm On Jan 25, 2019
AreaFada2:
Buhari does not read. How do you expect his worshippers to read? shocked
You dey mind them
very idiotic set of pple
Re: BREAKING:"A Brazen Dictatorial Act" - Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Suspension Of CJN by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2019
Atiku is a crook. buhari is a saviour to Nigeria. sai baba!! buhari till 2044!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Goose Pimples: "This Shows President Buhari's Victory Is Assured" - Bashir Ahmed / 2015: Sule Lamido’s Entry Rattles Presidency, PDP / Military Pencils Down Over 50 Names For Promotion As Generals Bow Out Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.