Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:46 AM

US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria (70110 Views)

Twitter Suspension And What It Means For Nairaland / Walter Onnoghen Resigns As The Chief Justice Of Nigeria With Immediate Effect / Photos Of Tanko Mohammed, The Acting Chief Justice Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by mcquin(m): 9:02pm On Jan 26, 2019
contigiency:

Buhari acted on court decision to suspend him. Besides why did the cjn ignore the procedure when he was committing the offence. Even when he has admitted committing the offence which is the bottom line of the matter, he refused to step aside, that's abusing every procedure. And you people are here ignoring the fact of the matter, making case for him with procedure as your reason. Tomorrow you will still cry that the country is not progressing.
Kill the sentiments. You and Buhari already found My Lord guilty, what happens to the Constitutional presumption of innocence until proven and found guilty by court, regardless of admission. You lots who are non-lawyers talk more than you know. Why do you think Osibanjo and Senior lawyers in Buhari's team are maintaining silent? Silence now is golden. There isn't anything to defend?

Around the world, people commit crime, assume the CJ committed a crime, isn't there a procedure for his removal? Why did the constitution provide for a procedure in removing an "erring" Judge?

Besides who made Buhari the Lord and Leader of the legislature and Judiciary? Where then is the principle of power seperation? If trying to support an action makes one sound daft, it's better to maintain silence like Osibanjo and Keyamo.

2 Likes

Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by lastdon5: 9:07pm On Jan 26, 2019
nameo:
Has everyone noticed that NO ONE or BODY has so far supported the President on this aberration of his. No one except MURIC, Miyatti Allah, Lai Mohammed and of course his equally slow thinking Nairalander supporters. Which speaks volume.

He is on his own and must be isolated.

Am beginning to suspect that MURIC and Miyatti Allah are his LEGISLATURE.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by chinedumoooo: 9:11pm On Jan 26, 2019
President Muhammadu buhari obey an order from cct and can not harbor corrupt judge,who openly admit his ordeal.Us citizen can not in Dodge in criminal act as a civil servant.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Jesusloveyou: 9:35pm On Jan 26, 2019
mcquin:

I want to believe you are literate enough to understand the separation of power principle. The law does not provide for any disciplinary measure against the Judiciary by the Executive. The NJC is charged with that function. The President cannot play a supervisory role on the legislature or Judiciary, they have equal powers, only that the Executive embodies the State. Buhari therefore has no business meddling in Judiciary's affairs.
Whether Onnoghen chose to resign or not isn't a constitutional issue, he is not bound to after all Osibanjo was fingered in a corruption case, but did not resign. What is of constitutional concern is, "is there a procedure for removing the CJ if there is a case of misconduct against him? Was that procedure observed? Take it from there.
what is wrong with your brain,
buhari is not taken the disciplinary of njc.
this case is not disciplinary case, is criminal case, which is outside njc jurisdiction,
if cjn murder his wife in cold blood, is it njc/cjn that will investigate and prosecute the cjn?
if cjn fails to obey traffic, is it njc/cjn that will prosecute the cjn for the offence commited?
if executive arm of govt fails to declare asset is it njc that will invistigate, or judge the case,?
the constitution said cct should handle all case related to asset declaration of all public officer, both the executive, judiciary and legislative arms of govt officials.
cjn breached the constitution he sworn to uphold outside his jurisdiction.
is unconstitutional for cjn to be corrupt and admitted to be corrupt, will you want another judge to dispute what cjn has admit ?
there is no case, is pdp that is playing politics with what seems to be a shame act of cjn.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Bimpe29: 9:42pm On Jan 26, 2019
Buhari can't understand the gravity of his infractions because he is a Democrat. He is militrocractic.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Jesusloveyou: 9:48pm On Jan 26, 2019
mcquin:

Kill the sentiments. You and Buhari already found My Lord guilty, what happens to the Constitutional presumption of innocence until proven and found guilty by court, regardless of admission. You lots who are non-lawyers talk more than you know. Why do you think Osibanjo and Senior lawyers in Buhari's team are maintaining silent? Silence now is golden. There isn't anything to defend?

Around the world, people commit crime, assume the CJ committed a crime, isn't there a procedure for his removal? Why did the constitution provide for a procedure in removing an "erring" Judge?

Besides who made Buhari the Lord and Leader of the legislature and Judiciary? Where then is the principle of power seperation? If trying to support an action makes one sound daft, it's better to maintain silence like Osibanjo and Keyamo.
you think buhari was not advise by a learned SAN before this decision?

is njc a court?
this is the first time a cjn will be remove,
and is unconstitutional for cjn to be a judge in his own case,
the standard Rule across the globe, is that,
for you not to be a judge in your own case, you step aside.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by ezkimow(m): 10:01pm On Jan 26, 2019
somehow:
You still didn't post iii (or b2), check again or let me have the section you're quoting and i will post it here.

“(ii) Chief Judge of a State, Grand Kadi of a Sharia Court of Appeal or President of a Customary Court of Appeal of a State, by the Governor acting on an address supported by two-thirds majority of the House of Assembly of the State, praying that he be so removed for his inability to discharge the functions of his office or appointment (whether arising from infirmity of mind or of body) or for misconduct or contravention of the Code of Conduct.”

Moreover, while it did not say whether the CJN can also be removed on the order of a court – the CCT in this case, the interpretation act, chapter 192, seems to also empower the president to remove who he has appointed.

Section 11 of the act states: “Where an enactment confers a power to appoint a person either to an office or to exercise any function, whether for a specified period or not, the power includes: a. power to appoint a person by name or to appoint the holder from time to time in a particular office, b. power to remove or suspend him, c. power to reappoint or reinstate him; to appoint a person to act in his place, either generally or in regard to specified functions.”

The president doesn't have any fault here because he simply carried out CCT order. if any discrepancy is being smelt, let those not happy confront the CCT. He should step aside and let the probe go on without undue influence from him.

There is no provision of the Constitution that speaks about the suspension of judicial officers, including the Chief Justice of Nigeria.

S. 292 of the Constitution that is being bandied around speaks about the REMOVAL and not the suspension of judicial officers.

You've not made clear enough why his actions are legal. I pray he doesn't influence it as you have said.
Let me ask can the head of any of the three arms of govt be suspended?
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by stieyven(m): 10:06pm On Jan 26, 2019
Viergeachar:
Great.

Buhari must be resisted.

Buharists are loooonatics and lower than animals.
He who calls his brother a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Viergeachar: 10:08pm On Jan 26, 2019
stieyven:

He who calls his brother a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22

Where did I use the word fool
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Ellie01: 10:34pm On Jan 26, 2019
ct2:
see them , ( monafiki ), act to The killing of the journalist in Saudi first

na that north Korea guy fit them

U appear naive n uninformed, how did u miss the part when the united states senate unanimously(democtrats and republicans) agreed that MBS is wholly responsible for jamal kashoggi's murder like the fulani mauraders.

Pls carry your market far, my only prayer is that the senate should invoke impeachment after ordering a reverse of this treason by buhari.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 10:47pm On Jan 26, 2019
nameo:

And who are you again?

See this one....Mtchewww.

Who sabi your full generation?
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 10:48pm On Jan 26, 2019
RTSC:

Even if he wins in 2023, the opposition he is facing now would be a child's play compared to then.

It would be a waste of four years.

But I guess, that is enough for you

Buhari is not your problem. Go fix yourself!
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 10:52pm On Jan 26, 2019
Okoroawusa:
What did Nigerian Embassy say about Trump's sack of US Attorney General, Sack of FBI Director n Shut down of Government for 30days that has impoverished workers?.What about his childish rantings n antics with Nancy Pelosi the Speaker of the Congress?

If Nigerian Embassy did not issue a statement about those events in America then American Embassy should shut up.

Shikena.

Who get US embassy time?

If dem nor get work to do again for Nigeria make dem leave abeg. Lol.

Besides, I don't think their statement condemned Onnoghen's suspension from what was read in the new.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by CoolAmbience(m): 11:01pm On Jan 26, 2019
matrixmuzi:

The US is far better than u think. They dictate how the world is run for your information. U are very insignificant in matters Like this. When you know much about international politics and interest maybe u will calm down. Just whine yourself and put ur black ass back to ur cocoon . That's why Hitler called blacks half Apes (because of people like u)

That was before, my friend. Tell me one thing the US has dictated to the world in the past few years? No country is insignificant.

Why u dey talk like person wey dey suffer inferiority complex from birth...leave this your US this....US that...

They started close to 250 years ago and are clearly ahead. We know this. Wetin we go do? Make we die? With the right leadership, we will get there too.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by TruthinAction: 11:07pm On Jan 26, 2019
somehow:
His own lawyer? The man is the most senior after Onnoghen,not buhari's "lawyer".

When I say his lawyer, I mean he is appointed to serve the interest of Buhari.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by virtex18: 11:13pm On Jan 26, 2019
sgd:
“The Embassy of the United States is deeply concerned by the impact of the executive branch’s decision to suspend and replace the Chief Justice and head of the judicial branch without the support of the legislative branch on the eve of national and state elections.

We note widespread Nigerian criticism that this decision is unconstitutional and that it undermines the independence of the judicial branch. That undercuts the stated determination of government, candidates, and political party leaders to ensure that the elections proceed in a way that is free, fair, transparent, and peaceful – leading to a credible result.

We urge that the issues raised by this decision be resolved swiftly and peacefully in accordance with due process, full respect for the rule of law, and the spirit of the Constitution of Nigeria. Such action is needed urgently now to ensure that this decision does not cast a pall over the electoral process.”

https://ng.usembassy.gov/statement-on-the-suspension-and-replacement-of-the-chief-justice/
Buhari is a foool
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by IJEYdiamond(f): 11:46pm On Jan 26, 2019
publicenemy:
How many judges has Donald Trump replace since he became president?

A corrupt government telling us how to run our country.

Try the US.. and get Venezuelan treatment.. l bet u . U wont be the same when they are done with u.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by ScarletBrace(m): 12:10am On Jan 27, 2019
baby124:
US Embassy should not get involved in Nigerian politics. Please face what you are there for, to issue visa.

You think say them be like China?
They respect values, not just chase peanuts
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by ojtech8291: 12:19am On Jan 27, 2019
Noise everywhere. Dey there and said it will not stand. The combination of Adams, Bubu, and Jagaban is not good. Enjoy the preamble of NEXT LEVEL. Nigerians haven't see anything yet.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by somehow: 1:25am On Jan 27, 2019
And whose interest was Onnoghen serving to have amased more than 1.3B undeclared assets?
TruthinAction:

When I say his lawyer, I mean he is appointed to serve the interest of Buhari.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by somehow: 1:30am On Jan 27, 2019
Executive can be impeached
Legistlator can be impeached
Judiciary can be removed/suspended. (Salami)

Onnoghen postponed indefinitely the NJC meeting that would have given them room to recommend his suspension!
ezkimow:

You've not made clear enough why his actions are legal. I pray he doesn't influence it as you have said.
Let me ask can the head of any of the three arms of govt be suspended?
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by adadike(f): 2:24am On Jan 27, 2019
canalily:
xup baby?
cool
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by 9gerian: 6:40am On Jan 27, 2019
Well said.

It’s all about the impact such unilateral actions would cause.

The FG cannot just claim to be fighting corruption but must be seen and adjudged to be doing so by all and sundry.

That’s why there are 3 arms of government for checks and balance.

This was an ill conceived move on the eve of elections.

sgd:
“The Embassy of the United States is deeply concerned by the impact of the executive branch’s decision to suspend and replace the Chief Justice and head of the judicial branch without the support of the legislative branch on the eve of national and state elections.

We note widespread Nigerian criticism that this decision is unconstitutional and that it undermines the independence of the judicial branch. That undercuts the stated determination of government, candidates, and political party leaders to ensure that the elections proceed in a way that is free, fair, transparent, and peaceful – leading to a credible result.

We urge that the issues raised by this decision be resolved swiftly and peacefully in accordance with due process, full respect for the rule of law, and the spirit of the Constitution of Nigeria. Such action is needed urgently now to ensure that this decision does not cast a pall over the electoral process.”

https://ng.usembassy.gov/statement-on-the-suspension-and-replacement-of-the-chief-justice/
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by canalily(m): 9:54am On Jan 27, 2019
adadike:
cool
lets make it cooler outside here, shall we?
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by fabianjay101(m): 10:55am On Jan 27, 2019
adadike:
Who else is with me? No Jupiter will stop Buhari from going back to Sudan come failbuhary.
yes ooohh
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by publicenemy(m): 11:12am On Jan 27, 2019
IJEYdiamond:

Try the US.. and get Venezuelan treatment.. l bet u . U wont be the same when they are done with u.

What's happening in Venezuela?
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by publicenemy(m): 11:13am On Jan 27, 2019
amanikondo:

Another bastard on the loose. Sango kill you if you did not list the judge he replaced.

Sango kill your Wh0re mother! Idiot
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by hundredrivas(m): 12:27pm On Jan 27, 2019
Buhari is a failure and he is going back to duara.

Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by TruthinAction: 12:42pm On Jan 27, 2019
somehow:
And whose interest was Onnoghen serving to have amased more than 1.3B undeclared assets?

There is no politician that does not have undeclared assets or trace of corruption. Where did Buhari son get money to buy a power bike worth 50 million naira. Now all his relatives that use to beg for 2,000 naira are all millionaires overnight. What have they done to the SGF who used over 300 million for grass cutting? What about Burutai who they discovered had an undisclosed property outside the country. Even the head of the CCT that ordered the suspension has a corruption charge of 1,8 billion against him. Amaechi is a confirmed thief. The over 700 thousands dollars he deposited in a foreign account is Rivers State money. The list is endless. Buhari spent our money on undisclosed ailments. This is corruption. I can go on and on.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by somehow: 12:50pm On Jan 27, 2019
I don't discuss rumors, onnonghe is not a politician!

He's a civil servant!

If you have any fraud allegations against any Buhari's family, take it to efcc.
TruthinAction:

There is no politician that does not have undeclared assets or trace of corruption. Where did Buhari son get money to buy a power bike worth 50 million naira. Now all his relatives that use to beg for 2,000 naira are all millionaires overnight. What have they done to the SGF who used over 300 million for grass cutting? What about Burutai who they discovered had an undisclosed property outside the country. Even the head of the CCT that ordered the suspension has a corruption charge of 1,8 billion against him. Amaechi is a confirmed thief. The over 700 thousands dollars he deposited in a foreign account is Rivers State money. The list is endless. Buhari spent our money on undisclosed ailments. This is corruption. I can go on and on.
Re: US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Guestlander: 1:06pm On Jan 27, 2019
somehow:
I don't discuss rumors, onnonghe is not a politician!

He's a civil servant!

If you have any fraud allegations against any Buhari's family, take it to efcc.

I'm sure you can see a pattern here. Someone is accused of corruption, some Nigerians for whatever reasons will come out to defend him. But they will never mention the facts of the case, rather they will make a vague list of others who are also corrupt.
With this type of logic why should any criminal be punished at all? For every armed robber caught there are probably 10 more that got away why then do you still hold armed robbers?
This is the logic of those who ruined Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

EndSARS Protesters Turn Benin Expressway To Cooking Spots / Activists Arrested & Beaten At Dunamis Church For Wearing Buhari Must Go Shirts / Photos Of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Her Husband, Ikemba (Then Vs Now)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.