Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? (5986 Views)

Some Reasons Why Atheist Are Usually Hard To Convince Back To God. / It's So Hard Practising Envagelism As A Single Female / Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by mechanics(m): 2:27pm On Jan 27, 2019
Nice one, mine is be faithful in tithing, I have started it already

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2019
Jayhazard:

He sees the bigger picture, we don't. Thus He has all legal rights to choose for us. That doesn't take away out free will.
he already gave us tips we can use in choosing a good wife in the Bible. if we apply God's words in the Bible when choosing a wife, we will end up with a successful marriage. I haven't seen where God actually chooses a wife for someone on the Bible except in the case of Adam where God created a wife for and maybe in special case like that of Hosea where God choose a prostitute wife for him to send a message to the defaulting nation of Isreal.
when choosing a wife, a Christian should go for a woman that measure up to Bible standard and specifications not wait for some imaginary dreams. I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible where God said he is going to choose a wife for us. he already gave us everything we needed to choose a good wife, both the way he designed us(brain) and his words the Bible.
Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by CHRISTIANJEEH: 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2019
NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT TRIGGERS PEOPLE TO SUCCEED ESPECIALLY ON SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE .BUT SOMETIMES IT LOOKS LIKE IS NOT REALISTIC .WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IS THAT YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT A DUTY TO BE PRESENTING YOUR RESOLUTIONS TO GOD DAILY AND ASKING HIM FOR THE GRACE TO OVERCOME
FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE STILL STRUGGLING TO LEAVE BETNAIJA COMPLETELY, I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT IT IS ONLY WHEN YOU HUMBLE YOURSELF AND CRY OUT TO GOD FOR HELP .YOU CANT JUST DECIDE ,THE SPIRIT THAT CONTROLS THESE THINGS ARE TOO STRONG FOR "MERE MOUTH RESOLUTION". YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO CHANGE YOUR FRIENDS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE PEOPLE THE DEVIL WILL ALWAYS USE TO LURE YOU
GOD HAVE ALREADY TOLD US TO LOOK UP TO HIM FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE
"For with God nothing is ever impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible of fulfillment." LUKE 1:37

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by hansomb: 9:43pm On Jan 27, 2019
tsinzu:
I really tried, I lasted for a whole three weeks before I fall yakata grin
if you can last 3 weeks imagine how confident you are then and the improvement, discipline, free will you attain and many, imagine if that can become your default settings.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by hansomb: 9:55pm On Jan 27, 2019
XieXie:
One of my new year resolutions is probably the easiest things to do for some guys but to me, it's been a herculean task.

I resolved to get into a relationship this year, a serious, but Jan is fast ending and am still the way I started the year sad
it easier to start something than to stop, you just haven't learned how to start. If you are above the natural level that's things happen automatically/instinctively you need to do it artificially by forcing yourself irrespective of the consequences ( but first weight the consequence and that it doesn't affect u much)
Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by OMOTOWO(m): 11:11pm On Jan 27, 2019
Ologogoro:
After my initial gragra about not fuccking Ashewo in 2019, its surprising that I've done that 5times this year.
chai...devil definitely open an office in your life.Go to MFM prayer city

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by Ologogoro: 8:09am On Jan 28, 2019
OMOTOWO:
chai...devil definitely open an office in your life.Go to MFM prayer city

Focus on your own sins ,the Lord won't ask you about mine.
Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by NewsOnline: 10:18am On Jan 28, 2019
This reply is directed at believers in Christ so narrow-minded, clueless and bigoted "atheists" that give open-minded and civil atheists a bad name with crass, uncouth and uncivilized comments can pass on reading. It is not for such.

New Year Resolutions are things that people determine to do using the arm of flesh (human striving) that will fail. Believer, see what God's word says of man, a truth that Paul experienced: Romans 7:18-

"For I know that nothing good lives within the flesh of my fallen humanity. The longings to do what is right are within me, but will-power is not enough to accomplish it."

God's word says human effort (the arm of flesh) will fail, is powerless and cannot. But antichrist "pastors" in many churches appeal to the non-existent good in man and Pride in the arm of flesh (human effort at obedience) that will fail to make churchgoers say:

"No, I can. God must be wrong. I still have some good in me. I can keep the Law and resist temptation to commit sin by my will-power and sheer determination. I can do what I said I will do.”

Reminds one of Peter telling Jesus that He was wrong when Jesus told him of his upcoming denialssmiley On the way to Gethsemane (Matthew 24:31-35), Jesus told His disciples that they would desert Him that night. Peter boasted that He would never deny Jesus, even if everyone else did. Peter said this in the presence of the other disciples! They heard him say he was better than they were! How confident in his ability to fulfill his resolution he must have been!

When our Lord Jesus Christ replied that Peter would deny that he even knew Him three times that very night, Peter replied “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” See any similarities yet? I’m sure Peter meant what he said with all his heart, like you and I have done at some point. He knew that he would die for Jesus, no matter what!

Peter seemed to be making good on his promise to die with our Lord during His betrayal and arrest by cutting off someone's ear in Jesus' defence– John 18:10 “Then Simon Peter drew a sword and slashed off the right ear of Malchus, the high priest’s slave.” But we all know what happened after Jesus was taken away by the Temple guards. Peter, who had boasted that he would die with Jesus, denied that He even knew Jesus – three times - with swearing and cursing! This is why most people start off keeping their resolutions for some time but end up failing at some point. If Satan should come to sift like wheat, anyone who depends on his on effort to stand will fail.

The reason why we are not committing particular sins and why we are seemingly making progress with some resolutions is because God did not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear in those areas - see 1 Corinthians 10:12-13. "Time and Chance" do not conduct SWOT analysis or give notification before throwing weights at anybody, so what do you do if you can only carry 10kg and life and you get blindsided with a 100 ton weight? THere is nothing like "I can never do that" in the natural dictionary of any human being. The potential to commit heinous crimes is in everybody. God sees this potential and how favourable circumstances can make some people think that they can keep the law/keep resolutions/overcome sins/etc.

Like pre-denial Peter, what we have of our own human effort are good intentions, the undertaking of which are subject to life's circumstances. One popular song says "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Christ said to the rich, young ruler who thought he was doing a good job of keeping the Law: "There is none good but God." In God's sight, every form of righteousness that proceeds from human striving at earning salvation is like a menstrual rag: Isaiah 64:6-

"We are all like one who is unclean, all our so-called righteous acts are like a menstrual rag in Your sight."

Christ says in Luke 6: 43 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

Of our human nature and striving, there is no good in any one of us. So how can man produce good fruit from a place of no good? You know it is human striving if you can boast about what you did as why you got something from God who gives us all things FREELY with Christ (Romans 8:32) e.g.

"God gave me a jet because I sowed my car."

"I got delivered from generational curse because I fasted for 70 days."

Notice no Christ doing anything in these equations of salvation in these anti-Christ confessions? Believer in Christ, this "trade by barter" arrangement does not represent our heavenly Father who gives us all things FREELY with Christ: Romans 8:32-

"He who did not spare His own Son but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"

In Christ, having Him as our Righteousness and Strength, God fills us to overflowing with His goodness and mercy so much that what is spilling over we can't help but be a blessing to those around us and achieve what others see as impossible. We get to love and live a life of moral excellence that exceeds that which the law demands. We get to give beyond the lawful regulation of the tithe, yet not us but Christ in us, so we cannot boast in the flesh (human effort) at keeping resolutions. This is why we sing: "Tis no longer I that liveth but Christ that liveth in me."

But Satan, through his ministers in many churches, appeals to the non-existent ability to produce good or be good (be like God) in man. The man that falls for his deceit is able to boast about how his efforts at keeping the Law and doing good things is what got God to bless him. Notice no Christ freely saving/delivering/healing/providing in this false equation of salvation? This is the preaching of the antichrist spirit: it is seemingly holy, godly and thoroughly against sin but very subtly, it tries to reduce, remove or replace the finished work of Christ in freely saving/healing/providing for/making righteous the sinner who believes with human striving.

Satan tries to get man striving to achieve godliness by human effort aka law-keeping. Same strategy was used to deceive Adam and Eve. Satan knows this is how to get one cut off from Jesus Christ the Tree of Life:

"For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace." Galatians 5:4.

Smack where Satan wants the church to be. Believer, by Grace, let's not be found here. Law-keeping in order to get right with God is the broad road that leads to destruction and many Christians are suffering on this road due wrong beliefs about God. Believer, God is not a "trade by barter" taskmaster who is just waiting in the wings to catch you in your sins so that He can punish you or let the devil have a go at you. He is Abba Father who gave His own Son to die for us that we might live free from sin and death.

Thought to add that there is nothing like generational or other curse in the life of believers in Christ as "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the Law..." Galatians 3:13.

Believer, by Grace, let's receive the same revelation-knowledge that Paul did - "that nothing good lives within the flesh of my fallen humanity." No sin is beneath anybody. The reason why we are not committing particular sins is because God did not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear. The potential to commit heinous crimes is in everybody. God sees this potential and how favourable circumstances can make some people think that some sins are beneath them or that they can obey the Law and overcome trials and tests by human striving aka the arm of flesh.

By Grace, stop trying to save keep resolutions or save yourself from your sins by your own will-power (arm of flesh) that will fail. Trust in Christ of whom it is written in Matthew 1:21-

"She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

Jesus did not come to tell bad people to try to be good or to "try and change" by will-power and sheer determination. With man this is impossible. He came to raise the dead (in sin) to life (in HIS righteousness - we have none of ours) and that we might have life more abundantly. SALVATION in Christ is not behaviour modification by human effort at suppressing sinful urges by human effort at keeping the Law or resolutions. The arm of flesh (human effort at keeping the Law and resolutions) will fail and when it does, those suppressed sinful passions will explode in a volcanic eruption of sins that lead to death (Romans 7:5.)

SALVATION in Christ is call about hearts transformation by the Holy Spirit. In Christ, God sees us as 100% righteous, despite our many flaws and imperfections. Romans 5:9 says of Him:

"And there is still much more to say of His unfailing love for us! For through the blood of Jesus we have heard the powerful declaration, “You are now righteous in My sight.” And because of the sacrifice of Jesus, you will never experience the wrath of God."

Believer, this is how our heavenly Father in Christ sees us. And His Word concerning us here isn't something that we believe just for the sake of it. By seeing ourselves as He sees us, we are being transformed. As we continue to see ourselves through the mirror of God's Word (Christ Himself: Grace-personified) and not through the Law (which kills and which Romans 3:20 says was given to show us how sinful we are,) we are being transformed by His Spirit: 2 Corinthians 3:18-

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

Only imperfect people need transformation. The one who can transform himself to "be like God" by will-power and human striving (arm of flesh) at obeying the Law does not need the Spirit of the Lord to transform him. With Christ as our righteousness, we are 100% righteous and "so lovely" in the sight of our Shepherd-King through whom we have God's super-abounding Grace and His gift of righteousness to us in Christ that causes us to live in triumph over sin and death through Jesus Christ: Romans 5:16-17:

16 “And the result of God’s gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man’s sin. For Adam’s sin led to condemnation, but God’s free gift leads to our being made right with God, even though we are guilty of many sins. 17 For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and His gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one Man, Jesus Christ.”

Good works are EVIDENCES of our salvation in Christ, not CONDITIONS
Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by NewsOnline: 10:23am On Jan 28, 2019
NewsOnline:
This reply is directed at believers in Christ so narrow-minded, clueless and bigoted "atheists" that give open-minded and civil atheists a bad name with crass, uncouth and uncivilized comments can pass on reading. It is not for such.

New Year Resolutions are things that people determine to do using the arm of flesh (human striving) that will fail. Believer, see what God's word says of man, a truth that Paul experienced: Romans 7:18-

"For I know that nothing good lives within the flesh of my fallen humanity. The longings to do what is right are within me, but will-power is not enough to accomplish it."

God's word says human effort (the arm of flesh) will fail, is powerless and cannot. But antichrist "pastors" in many churches appeal to the non-existent good in man and Pride in the arm of flesh (human effort at obedience) that will fail to make churchgoers say:

"No, I can. God must be wrong. I still have some good in me. I can keep the Law and resist temptation to commit sin by my will-power and sheer determination. I can do what I said I will do.”

Reminds one of Peter telling Jesus that He was wrong when Jesus told him of his upcoming denialssmiley On the way to Gethsemane (Matthew 24:31-35), Jesus told His disciples that they would desert Him that night. Peter boasted that He would never deny Jesus, even if everyone else did. Peter said this in the presence of the other disciples! They heard him say he was better than they were! How confident in his ability to fulfill his resolution he must have been!

When our Lord Jesus Christ replied that Peter would deny that he even knew Him three times that very night, Peter replied “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” See any similarities yet? I’m sure Peter meant what he said with all his heart, like you and I have done at some point. He knew that he would die for Jesus, no matter what!

Peter seemed to be making good on his promise to die with our Lord during His betrayal and arrest by cutting off someone's ear in Jesus' defence– John 18:10 “Then Simon Peter drew a sword and slashed off the right ear of Malchus, the high priest’s slave.” But we all know what happened after Jesus was taken away by the Temple guards. Peter, who had boasted that he would die with Jesus, denied that He even knew Jesus – three times - with swearing and cursing! This principle of life is still very real and is why people start off keeping their resolutions for some time but end up failing at some point. If Satan should come to sift like wheat (trials and tests), anyone who depends on his own will-power or effort to stand will fail.

The reason why we are not committing particular sins and why we are seemingly making progress with some resolutions is because God did not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear in those areas - see 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 -

"So beware if you think it could never happen to you, lest your pride becomes your downfall.13 We all experience times of testing, which is normal for every human being. But God will be faithful to you. He will screen and filter the severity, nature, and timing of every test or trial you face so that you can bear it. And each test is an opportunity to trust Him more, for along with every trial God has provided for you a way of escape that will bring you out of it victoriously."

If God was not filtering and screening (most times without our being aware of it) we would all be wallowing in serious sins by now. Thinking that one can keep the law and new year resolutions by sheer determination and will-power is akin to the human body thinking that it can carry out the function of movement without a skeleton. God's Hand and is the skeleton that keeps us upright and able to live right. "Time and Chance" do not conduct SWOT analysis or give notification before throwing weights at anybody, so what do you do if you can only carry 10kg and you get blindsided with a 100 ton weight courtesy of Time and Chance? There is nothing like "I can never do that" in the natural dictionary of any human being. Crayfish must bend to the right condition. The potential to commit heinous crimes is in everybody. God sees this potential and how favourable circumstances can make some people think that they can keep the law/keep resolutions/overcome sins/etc.

Like pre-denial Peter, what we have of our own human effort are good intentions, the undertaking of which are subject to life's circumstances. One popular song says "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Christ said to the rich, young ruler who thought he was doing a good job of keeping the Law: "There is none good but God." In God's sight, every form of righteousness that proceeds from human striving at earning salvation is like a menstrual rag: Isaiah 64:6-

"We are all like one who is unclean, all our so-called righteous acts are like a menstrual rag in Your sight."

Christ says in Luke 6: 43 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

Of our human nature and striving, there is no good in any one of us. So how can man produce good fruit from a place of no good? You know it is human striving if you can boast about what you did as why you got something from God who gives us all things FREELY with Christ (Romans 8:32) e.g.

"God gave me a jet because I sowed my car."

"I got delivered from generational curse because I fasted for 70 days."

Notice no Christ doing anything in these equations of salvation in these anti-Christ confessions? Believer in Christ, this "trade by barter" arrangement does not represent our heavenly Father who gives us all things FREELY with Christ: Romans 8:32-

"He who did not spare His own Son but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"

In Christ, having Him as our Righteousness and Strength, God fills us to overflowing with His goodness and mercy so much that what is spilling over we can't help but be a blessing to those around us and achieve what others see as impossible. We get to love and live a life of moral excellence that exceeds that which the law demands. We get to give beyond the lawful regulation of the tithe, yet not us but Christ in us, so we cannot boast in the flesh (human effort) at keeping resolutions. This is why we sing: "Tis no longer I that liveth but Christ that liveth in me."

But Satan, through his ministers in many churches, appeals to the non-existent ability to produce good or be good (be like God) in man. The man that falls for his deceit is able to boast about how his efforts at keeping the Law and doing good things is what got God to bless him. Notice no Christ freely saving/delivering/healing/providing in this false equation of salvation? This is the preaching of the antichrist spirit: it is seemingly holy, godly and thoroughly against sin but very subtly, it tries to reduce, remove or replace the finished work of Christ in freely saving/healing/providing for/making righteous the sinner who believes with human striving.

Satan tries to get man striving to achieve godliness by human effort aka law-keeping. Same strategy was used to deceive Adam and Eve. Satan knows this is how to get one cut off from Jesus Christ the Tree of Life:

"For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace." Galatians 5:4.

Smack where Satan wants the church to be. Believer, by Grace, let's not be found here. Law-keeping in order to get right with God is the broad road that leads to destruction and many Christians are suffering on this road due wrong beliefs about God. Believer, God is not a "trade by barter" taskmaster who is just waiting in the wings to catch you in your sins so that He can punish you or let the devil have a go at you. He is Abba Father who gave His own Son to die for us that we might live free from sin and death.

Thought to add that there is nothing like generational or other curse in the life of believers in Christ as "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the Law..." Galatians 3:13.

Believer, by Grace, let's receive the same revelation-knowledge that Paul did - "that nothing good lives within the flesh of my fallen humanity." No sin is beneath anybody. The reason why we are not committing particular sins is because God did not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear. The potential to commit heinous crimes is in everybody. God sees this potential and how favourable circumstances can make some people think that some sins are beneath them or that they can obey the Law and overcome trials and tests by human striving aka the arm of flesh.

By Grace, stop trying to save keep resolutions or save yourself from your sins by your own will-power (arm of flesh) that will fail. Trust in Christ of whom it is written in Matthew 1:21-

"She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

Jesus did not come to tell bad people to try to be good or to "try and change" by will-power and sheer determination. With man this is impossible. He came to raise the dead (in sin) to life (in HIS righteousness - we have none of ours) and that we might have life more abundantly. SALVATION in Christ is not behaviour modification by human effort at suppressing sinful urges by human effort at keeping the Law or resolutions. The arm of flesh (human effort at keeping the Law and resolutions) will fail and when it does, those suppressed sinful passions will explode in a volcanic eruption of sins that lead to death (Romans 7:5.)

SALVATION in Christ is call about hearts transformation by the Holy Spirit. In Christ, God sees us as 100% righteous, despite our many flaws and imperfections. Romans 5:9 says of Him:

"And there is still much more to say of His unfailing love for us! For through the blood of Jesus we have heard the powerful declaration, “You are now righteous in My sight.” And because of the sacrifice of Jesus, you will never experience the wrath of God."

Believer, this is how our heavenly Father in Christ sees us. And His Word concerning us here isn't something that we believe just for the sake of it. By seeing ourselves as He sees us, we are being transformed. As we continue to see ourselves through the mirror of God's Word (Christ Himself: Grace-personified) and not through the Law (which kills and which Romans 3:20 says was given to show us how sinful we are,) we are being transformed by His Spirit: 2 Corinthians 3:18-

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

Only imperfect people need transformation. The one who can transform himself to "be like God" by will-power and human striving (arm of flesh) at obeying the Law does not need the Spirit of the Lord to transform him. With Christ as our righteousness, we are 100% righteous and "so lovely" in the sight of our Shepherd-King through whom we have God's super-abounding Grace and His gift of righteousness to us in Christ that causes us to live in triumph over sin and death through Jesus Christ: Romans 5:16-17:

16 “And the result of God’s gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man’s sin. For Adam’s sin led to condemnation, but God’s free gift leads to our being made right with God, even though we are guilty of many sins. 17 For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and His gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one Man, Jesus Christ.”

Good works are EVIDENCES of our salvation in Christ, not CONDITIONS
Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by Ay04z(m): 1:49pm On Jan 28, 2019
Pascalville:
I have masturbated a million times just this January 2019 alone
too much for ur health. Get a gf
Re: So Hard To Keep New Year Resolution. How Is Yours? by XieXie: 9:10pm On Jan 28, 2019
hansomb:

it easier to start something than to stop, you just haven't learned how to start. If you are above the natural level that's things happen automatically/instinctively you need to do it artificially by forcing yourself irrespective of the consequences ( but first weight the consequence and that it doesn't affect u much)
thanks for your insightful advice...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. / TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / Does God Scourge Us? 7 Reasons To Say No!! - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.