Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,062 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) (10562 Views)

Was Ojukwu A Warrior And A Hero? / Why Was Awolowo Not Good To Be President But Peter Obi Is? / Why I Was Denied A Second Term - Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2019
Asshurbanipal:

Thank you for this one. Nzeogwu was given national burial but black scorpion perished in miserable life.
Show us picture of nzeogu state burial lair.
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2019
AstralBody:
grin grin Awo the afonja,can never get a national burial, because he died like a dirty rat, that's what he is. How do u treat a rat after u must have killed it with a sniper? U throw the shiit away!!

Afonja cry me a river!!
But never died senilely now sadly like one officer I know grin
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Kagawa10: 6:33pm On Jan 30, 2019
teresafaith:

Whatever makes you sleep well!!

All we know was that he heard siren blaring outside he thought he'll be whisked away like common rat, he kuku took the easy way out.

Oponu!! Arindi
Lol. Osu Dunces would always act like one. You saw the above pics of Awolowo laughing with Ibb, didn't you? Yet all your akpu brain could conjure was a suicide story. Show us your akpu brain can do better.

Btw, Your Ojukwu died at the same age, 78 but was going senile b4 his death

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Banmeallday: 6:36pm On Jan 30, 2019
When there is so much tension and poverty the OP is talking about something totally irrelevant. Awolowo has since passed. Tell Tinubu and co to do something about it, but of course, they are aiming at how to loot for another 4 years.

Or Mr OP are you in agreement that there should be an Oduduwa Republic so that you can rebury your hero?

For the record Awolowo as Prime Minister would probably had been better than Balewa, but his actions after Ironsi clouded his legacy for at least the Easterners and for the North fulfilled what they had thought about him siiince

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by CyynthiaKiss(f): 6:37pm On Jan 30, 2019
Gabriel004:
Lair. Kaduna nzeogu state burial ko
GAYbriel check the YouTube videos and see how the then head of state Gen Gowon honored him and even poured sand in his grave along side with other generals including Ojukwu...The burial was mother of all burials in 60's
He was buried in Kaduna.. Thank me letter for educating you GAYbriel.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 6:38pm On Jan 30, 2019
Asshurbanipal:

Stop crying. Awolowo dead end awaits tinubu. He should go and learn national politics from obasanjo. Until you start having a national agenda you are not going anywhere.
Speak English na
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by teresafaith: 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2019
Kagawa10:

Lol. Osu Dunces would always act like one. You saw the above pics of Awolowo laughing with Ibb, didn't you? Yet all your akpu brain could conjure was a suicide story. Show us your akpu brain can do better.

He died of old age and not through ratak

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 6:52pm On Jan 30, 2019
CyynthiaKiss:

GAYbriel check the YouTube videos and see how the then head of state Gen Gowon honored him and even poured sand in his grave along side with other generals including Ojukwu...The burial was mother of all burials in 60's
You too dey lie abeg. I typed on google and nothing of sort came out, talk less of directing me to Google. Not here for your childish tantrum. If you like call lesbianriel, that is your own lifetime problem. Show the picture if you are sure of yourself. Not your stupid way of wanting likes as if igbo controlled banks will use it to dash you money. Your everyday claiming to be Yoruba makes your foolish. You are being smart by half. I have checked n nothing come out. Stop being a fool o boy. I will take you serious when I see ojukwu face on Nigerian note or a road named after him outside his region.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 6:55pm On Jan 30, 2019
teresafaith:

But there was a smile on his face, unlike ojukwu the went senile n was decaying on bed even at the same age with awoo. Nobody prayed for the kind of death ojukwu died.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Kagawa10: 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2019
teresafaith:

Osu and stupidity, very synonymous.

Both died at 78 but according to your akpu head, one died due to old age whereas the other didn't. Lol.

Why don't you show us there's at least some grey matters in your akpu brain?

That said, everyone knows Ojukwu was already going senile before his death.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by teresafaith: 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2019
grin
Gabriel004:
But there was a smile on his face, unlike ojukwu the went senile n was decaying on bed even at the same age with awoo. Nobody prayed for the kind of death ojukwu died.
grin
Indeed
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by CyynthiaKiss(f): 7:01pm On Jan 30, 2019
Gabriel004:
You too dry lie abeg. I typed on google and nothing of sort came out, talk less of directing me to Google. Not here for your childish tantrum. If you like call lesbianriel, that is your own lifetime problem. Show the picture if you are sure of yourself. Not your stupid way of wanting likes as if igbo controlled banks will use it to dash you money. Your everyday claiming to be Yoruba makes your foolish. You are being smart by half. I have checked n nothing come out. Stop being a fool o boy. I will take you serious when I see ojukwu face on Nigerian note or a road named after him outside his region.
This one na ist class otondo..

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by teresafaith: 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2019
Kagawa10:

Osu and stupidity, very synonymous.

Both died at 78 but according to your akpu head, one died due to old age whereas the other didn't. Lol.

Why don't you show us there's at least some grey matters in your akpu brain?

That said, everyone knows Ojukwu was already going senile before his death.
Skull miners and cowardice are like 5 and 6

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 7:03pm On Jan 30, 2019
Kagawa10:

Lol, waiting for them to show us pic of awo drinking ratak

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Kagawa10: 7:06pm On Jan 30, 2019
Gabriel004:
Don't mind her. Same Ojukwu whose first son accused Bianca of leaving his dad to suffer on his sick bed without taking care of him till his death?

Awolowo died peaceably like a baby whereas Ojukwu suffered as a senile man before his death.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Kagawa10: 7:10pm On Jan 30, 2019
Gabriel004:
Lol, waiting for them to show us pic of awo drinking ratak
You dey mind dem?

Their lies and stupidity can wake up the dead. Yeye people.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 7:13pm On Jan 30, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
CyynthiaKiss:

Please stop saying what you do not know. Don't misinform the public. Nzeogwu was never accorded a state burial, he was buried in Kaduna with full military honours. There is a difference between a state burial and a military burial, all soldiers who die in active service are entitled to a military burial. He in fact died in July 1967 when he engaged troops of 21 Battalion whilst carrying out a night recce, and his body taken to Kaduna by the Federal troops. He was the Chief Instructor of the Nigerian Military Training College before the Jan coup and so was loved by most of the Northern soldiers.
A state of war existed then between Nigeria and Biafra, how then could Ojukwu have gone to Kaduna?? Even the Aburi conference that was held on Jan 4/5 of 1967 (before war broke out) took place in Ghana because Ojukwu did not feel he'd be safe enough in Nigeria
Get your facts straight, again calling Ojukwu a general? I wonder who made him a general, Ojukwu was a Lt/Col.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by CyynthiaKiss(f): 7:23pm On Jan 30, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

Please stop saying what you do not know. Don't misinform the public. Nzeogwu was never accorded a state burial, he was buried in Kaduna with full military honours. There is a difference between a state burial and a military burial, all soldiers who die in active service are entitled to a military burial. He in fact died in July 1967 when he engaged troops of 21 Battalion whilst carrying out a night recce, and his body taken to Kaduna by the Federal troops. He was the Chief Instructor of the Nigerian Military Training College before the Jan coup and so was loved by most of the Northern soldiers.
A state of war existed then between Nigeria and Biafra, how then could Ojukwu have gone to Kaduna?? Even the Aburi conference that was held on Jan 4/5 of 1967 (before war broke out) took place in Ghana because Ojukwu did not feel he'd be safe enough in Nigeria
Get your facts straight, again calling Ojukwu a general? I wonder who made him a general, Ojukwu was a Lt/Col.
What was Gowon and other senior military officers doing dhis at burial ceremony and salutations and gunshots as well ?
Why the military parade and other things that involves state burial took place during his burial?
Have you watched the full video ?
Don't quote me again until you watch the video. If you don't have data, go borrow. ...Its a pity.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Kagawa10: 7:39pm On Jan 30, 2019
teresafaith:

Skull miners and cowardice are like 5 and 6

lol. What exactly is this one saying lol. Read your post again.

Anyway I hope you meant to say Cowardice and skull mining are 5 and 6 to you Osus.
We can see the cowardice by the way prominent Ibo politicians have all kept quiet and couldn't say 'pee' against Buhari so far.

Or the skull mining through Rev King and Clifford Orji. The Pioneers of ritualism in Nigeria. Don't even let me mention Okija shrine.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2019
CyynthiaKiss:

This one na ist class otondo..
Proof to the otondo that you have brain by bringing out pictures of nzeogu state burial. I will keep exposing you. You be small boy in this. Waiting for the pictures. Do not run away grin
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 7:53pm On Jan 30, 2019
Kagawa10:

lol. What exactly is this one saying lol. Read your post again.

Anyway I hope you meant to say Cowardice and skull mining are 5 and 6 to you Osus.
We can see the cowardice by the way prominent Ibo politicians have all kept quiet and couldn't say 'pee' against Buhari so far.

Or the skull mining through Rev King and Clifford Orji. The Pioneers of ritualism in Nigeria. Don't even let me mention Okija shrine.
LOL, you remind me of clifford orji cheesy
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2019
CyynthiaKiss:

What was Gowon and other senior military officers doing dhis at burial ceremony and salutations and gunshots as well ?
Why the military parade and other things that involves state burial took place during his burial?
Have you watched the full video ?
Don't quote me again until you watch the video. If you don't have data, go borrow. ...Its a pity.
Shut up and bring out pictures. You brought out that of ojukwu. Bring out the nzeogu own and stop fabricating white lies. Gowon presence translate to state burial. BUT babangida's visit to Awoo own does not. We are waiting for the pictures. Yess, he does not have data. You that have data, post the pictures or the video or shut your osu mouth yoruba wannabe.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by CyynthiaKiss(f): 8:13pm On Jan 30, 2019
Gabriel004:
Shut up and bring out pictures. You brought out that of ojukwu. Bring out the nzeogu own and stop fabricating white lies. Gowon presence translate to state burial. BUT babangida's visit to Awoo own does not. We are waiting for the pictures. Yess, he does not have data. You that have data, post the pictures or the video or shut your osu mouth yoruba wannabe.
I can't give you a wife and expect me to offer you matrass as well. It's stupidity.

Again, you said that Babangida was in Awo's burial ?.... I have confirmed that you are not only iredemable, but very hopeless as well.

Don't forget that this thread is an attack on FG for not meeting up with their responsibilities. Don't cry on my mentions again if you don't have any sensible thing to say.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 8:24pm On Jan 30, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

You get time for that dunce trying to be smart wanting likes at all cost. He can only fool his fellow fools that commented above. Average igbo man does not know the difference between STATE and MILITARY burial.

A military funeral is a memorial or burial rite given by a country's military for a soldier, sailor, marine or airman who died in battle, a veteran, or other prominent military figures or heads of state.
A military funeral may feature guards of honor, the firing of volley shots as a salute, drumming and other military elements, with a flag draping over the coffin.

WHILE

A state funeral is a public funeral ceremony, observing the strict rules of protocol, held to honour people of national significance. State funerals usually include much pomp and ceremony as well as religious overtones and distinctive elements of military tradition. Generally, state funerals are held in order to involve the general public in a national day of mourning after the family of the deceased gives consent. A state funeral will often generate mass publicity from both national and global media outlets.

A military burials were given to both ojukwu and nzeogu because they were military men. Awolowo and Alex ekweme were given state burials.

To the mumu called cynthiakiss and his fellow dunces or whatever, cos military men were firing volley shots as salute translates to state burial to them grin cheesy

He should thank his star that i did not come to this thread earlier cos i was busy.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 8:31pm On Jan 30, 2019
CyynthiaKiss:

I can't give you a wife and expect me to offer you matrass as well. It's stupidity.

Again, you said that Babangida was in Awo's burial ?.... I have confirmed that you are not only[b] iredemable[/b], but very hopeless as well.

Don't forget that this thread is an attack on FG for not meeting up with their responsibilities. Don't cry on my mentions again if you don't have any sensible thing to say.
Are you this coward grin, why are you afraid to proof youself? cheesy. Is it because i am dealing with your transparent lies that made you not write well again grin. Well kid, read the difference between STATE and MILITARY burials below and thank me later since you cannot prove yourself grin

A military funeral is a memorial or burial rite given by a country's military for a soldier, sailor, marine or airman who died in battle, a veteran, or other prominent military figures or heads of state.
A military funeral may feature guards of honor, the firing of volley shots as a salute, drumming and other military elements, with a flag draping over the coffin.

WHILE

A state funeral is a public funeral ceremony, observing the strict rules of protocol, held to honour people of national significance. State funerals usually include much pomp and ceremony as well as religious overtones and distinctive elements of military tradition. Generally, state funerals are held in order to involve the general public in a national day of mourning after the family of the deceased gives consent. A state funeral will often generate mass publicity from both national and global media outlets.

pic1 Military burial
pic2 State burial
thank me later cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
CyynthiaKiss:

Again, you said that Babangida was in Awo's burial ?.... I have confirmed that you are not only iredemable, but very hopeless as well.

The problem with Nigeria is someone passes Waec and then begins to see himself/herself as being part of the intelligentsia, if you know anything about how the coup happened then you'll know there is no way in the world Jack could have accorded Nzeogwu a state burial, was it the same Nzeogwu that wanted to kill him on the night of Jan 15? Even Ojukwu could have been killed by Nzeogwu were it not for Madiebo. And then you say they attended his funeral, fyi some people to this day believe Ojukwu had a hand in the death of Nzeogwu because Nzeogwu was more popular among the junior ranks and everyone (Ojukwu included) was scared of him.
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Gabriel004: 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

The problem with Nigeria is someone passes Waec and then begins to see himself/herself as being part of the intelligentsia, if you know anything about how the coup happened then you'll know there is no way in the world Jack could have accorded Nzeogwu a state burial, was it the same Nzeogwu that wanted to kill him on the night of Jan 15? Even Ojukwu could have been killed by Nzeogwu were it not for Madiebo. And then you say they attended his funeral, fyi some people to this day believe Ojukwu had a hand in the death of Nzeogwu because Nzeogwu was more popular among the junior ranks and everyone (Ojukwu included) was scared of him.
No mind the dunce. Someone that finds it hard to differetiate state and military burials grin

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 30, 2019
Ardar:

grin oil ballers indeed, I know an Igbo millionaire in Port Harcourt who deals on importing and exporting the things needed for drilling crude oil or there about. This man has several yoruber employees, maybe one of your family members are working for him.

Awolowo more honorable kwa? Someone that choked on otapiapia is more honorable than Ojukwu that fought for his people grin

Bianca riding FFK dick indeed, am sure kudirat also was riding on some northerner's dick before been killed along with her husband. tongue

Wrapper wearing? are you sure cuz these your coneheaded brothers beg to differ. cool
you and ziggylady i wonder who wicked pass grin

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 30, 2019
Slonge2:
lol, your usual delusion. Mention the name of your imaginary Igbo millionaire, And I will give you 3 names from my family who are worth more than double the total value of everyone in his family.
Even if i’m to follow your narrative of Awolowo committing suicide, it is way more honorable than the cross dressing ojukwu, who abandoned his people after leading them to a mass suicide in the name of fighting a war, just so he can massage his fragile ego.
Lastly, we both know that Bianca learnt how to service the dickk of Ojukwu from practicing with FFK’s dickk. Her kids for Ojukwu are even suspects, they look like FFK
shut up ur dirty ewedu mouth bloodyAfonja ur family are millionaires yet u dey sell cheap itunes gift cards...broke fake yahoo boy...no be say na wire wire u dey do sef..millonaire kee u dere

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by rusher14: 11:03pm On Jan 30, 2019
Kagawa10:

Nope, Yoruba should have joined the North to suyanise the Ibos who killed our leaders such as Akintola, Ademulegun and his pregnant wife, Sodeinde etc!

If the Osu Zik didn't bring in ant-infested wood with his support of no secession clause, Yoruba wouldn't be here.

If the Osu Zik didn't form coalition with the North at the expense of the southern Yorubas because he thought he could overrule the less educated North while forgetting the North, esp. the Fulanis are much more advanced in politics, Nigeria wouldn't be at the mercy of the North.

If the Osu Ibos didn't plot the first coup against Nigeria because the Fulanis outsmarted them in the game of politics after forming coalition with them, Nigeria would still be operating a true federalism system.

If the Osu Ibos hadn't killed other regional leaders in the coup except the Ibo leaders, there wouldn't have been counter coup and 'suyanisation' of the Ibos in the North.

If the Osu Ironsi didn't make the unitary decree and had brought the coupist under trial, our true federalism would have stood today.

If Osu Ojukwu didn't invade and attack the midwest, Ore and kept bombing Lagos, Awolowo could have helped the stupid greedy man.

If the Osu Ibos didn't support the corrupt Shagari in our new democratic system, Awolowo would have brought back our federalism system. Awolowo as the true ethnicist he was, has always been in support of the british set up where the likes of Wales, Scotland, Ireland are all independent nations under one confederation but Zik and the Ibos were against it until their greediness and stupidity got checked by the North who outsmarted them.

Osus like yourself would be shouting one Nigeria when it favours you even at the detriment of others like you were doing under Jonathan but would later shout secession when it doesn't favour you and expect others that you already mocked and trampled to join you in your unfortunate mess. Imagine the stupid self entitlement mentality. Have you forgotten the wise saying which is ''one good turns deserve another''. You must be stupid and you don't know it. Bunch of losers! The karma that will beseige your lots is coming on its way. The civil war is just a child's play. Yeye people with no morals.

Bros, you dey vex o.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by naptu2: 3:35am On Jan 31, 2019
Another eye witness account (accompanied by pictures). Unfortunately the blogger only posted pictures of the Ibadan leg of the 7 days activity (I wish there were pictures of Lagos and Ikenne). The blogger also didn't post the names of the people in the pictures, but I can identify some of them anywhere I see them because they were always in the news in the 1980s.

The Prophetic Jeremiah of Africa Awolowo – his last journey on earth

On May 9th 1987, he set out for his last journey, when his soul departed from his body at his. About a month later on May 31, the seven days funeral rites started and ended on Saturday June 6th, his final journey.   

It was a celebration of life, as people came from far and wide to celebrate the life of a great statesman. Yours truly was there too to pay my last respect, it feels like yesterday as I sat down to play back the whole events the much I can remember. It was celebration all through with songs of praise to accompany him in that last journey.

On Sunday May 31st, His last journey home commenced when, his body arrived the National Stadium through the Oworonshoki-Oshodi-Apapa expressway. It was a wet day but that did not stop the crowd who were eager to see and even feel AWO. While the body was lying in state and the crowd were eager to see the body the organisers agreed that the best option was that the pall bearers should carry the casket into the open, from its covered podium. This was done on two occasions and even with that the crowd were just not satisfied and not happy as they wanted to see and feel his body, so they started singing, “All we are saying gives us Awo.” Awo’s wife Mrs. Hannah Idowu had to come out to acknowledge the cheers of the demanding crowd and plead with them to bear, with them since it was raining.

On Friday, June 5, his body arrived Ibadan, probably to show respect that his political life started there. Ibadan received his body with salutes from their Dane-guns and shouts of Awo! The crowd was massive like never seen before; one will think that the entire Ibadan people left their homes for that honour. Everyone that has eyes, even if crippled was there to say good bye to Awo. Roof tops, balconies and tree tops were occupied. It was estimated that the crowd was over 4,000 on the street and most of the invited dignitaries and family members were dressed in white. There was a commendation service held in his honour at the liberty stadium in Ibadan, with about 50,000 people in attendance. 

After the stadium, his body was received inside the church, by six member of the Wesley Group, (Awo was a life patron), the church sang “For all the saints who from their labours rest” as their processional hymn. Bishop E. A. Idowu of Lagos Cathedral read the scripture from Ecclesiastical Chapter 44 verse 1-4,7,11-15, during the fifty minutes commendation service. Between 3.00 – 3.10 p.m., there was a light shower of rain while, the Bishop of the Ibadan Methodist Diocese – Bishop T.T Solaru, was giving his sermon. At the Ibadan event, there were about 1000 policemen to help control the crowd. The body was taken to his former office as Premier in the 1950’s, the parliament building in Agodi, were a special parliamentary session was held in his honour with a funeral oration by the state Governor Colonel Adetunji Olurin, who addressed him as the “prophetic Jeremiah of Africa.” 

On Saturday, June 6th, the body left Lagos for the final journey to Ikenne where it lay in state. In Ikenne, mourners peacefully filled past his body. The Rosicrucian Order (AMORC) performed their funeral rites on him, the members filed in, wearing bishop-like robes, walked round the body. Their leader Kenneth U. Idiodi, Grand Regional Administrator and President of the Rosicrucian Order in his funeral citation explained that they believe in life after death. They presented to Mrs Awo her husband apron of life. In all Awo had 14 orations. Relaxed as if he was sleeping and smiling, he was laid in the golden casket and was placed in the monologue. As his body was carried into the church, it was received with a rendition of one of his favourite tunes: “All hail the Power of Jesus’ name.” The Archbishop of the Anglican Church of Nigeria, the Most Reverend Timothy Olusofoye, in his sermon read from the Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 13, verse 36, he recounted Awo’s excellent works on earth.

The church service ended by 1. 22 pm., the SAN Members mounted a guard of honour while the bishops and other officiating ministers filed past. By 1.30 pm the SANs wheeled the casket slowly on its final exit from the church, with the recessional hymn: “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord” and the chorus: “Glory, Glory Alleluia; Glory,    Glory, Glory Alleluia; Glory, Glory Alleluia; His Truth is marching on” we all headed to the chapel-like mausoleum in his compound, his final resting place. The construction of the two level tomb was said to have cost about #400,000 then.

https://www.drraphaeljames.com/2018/04/the-prophetic-jeremiah-of-africa.html?m=1

1st picture below) The blogger didn't identify them, but I know the first two men in the picture. They are Colonel Tunji Olurin (Oyo State governor) and Colonel John Mark Inienger (Bendel State governor). The 3rd person looks familiar but I can't remember his name. This was at the Liberty Stadium in Ibadan.

2) The crowd at the Liberty Stadium in Ibadan during a commendation service for Awo.

3) "Papa Awo Odigba" written on a section of the stadium in preparation for the commendation service.

4) Crowd on the street in Ibadan as Awo's motorcade passes by

Pictures continue in the next post.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Will Take Nigeria To Greatness, Tinubu Vows / More Ministerial Slots For South-East - South-East Senate Caucus (The Sun) / Northern Nigeria Not Afraid Of Restructuring - Tambuwal, Others Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.